Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American response

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 352 ✭✭lord quackinton

Christy42 wrote: »
    Healthcare will be so easy. Why did Trump fail on such an easy task.

Imagine having a conversation of why did you fail in politics. Well people disagreed with me so I didn't do anything. I mean that is an admission of being one of the worst politicians in history. People disagree with politicians plans all the time. It is their job to bloody convince them.

If getting rid of Obamacare was such an easy win it should have been easy. There were a lot more republican defectors than John McCain.

Given your hatred of Obama I am presuming you are going to hold Trump to a higher standard and not simply blame the last guy. Nevermind that changing healthcare laws is a bit different to extracting troops from a state your country has left a power vacuum in. Like really, Obama is the worst President ever but also it is fine Trump did a thing because Obama did it is quite frankly a nonsensical argument.

I mean. The economy was absolutely booming when Obama left office by any particular metric that Trump uses to justify the economy pre covid. Sure Obama used to deep state to hurt Trump and the man going on crazy rantings isn't actually crazy. I would go on occams razor here and avoid conspiracy theories.

@Leroy:CCP is the ruling party in China.

question for you and leroy.
    name one policy that trump has enacted that you believe was a positive and he should get credit for?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,579 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I think the idea of getting manufacturing jobs back to the US is a good one, but that is all it is he hasn't actually done much to enable it.

I think his drive to remove the US from foreign wars is also good, but again his policy is haphazard and seems to lack a coherent plan, both in terms if ensuring the safety of US and allied troops and also how to cement the gains made during the previous number of years.

I think he was right in his view that many countries had become too dependent on US military spending. But again, his repeated attacks on them rather than looking to bring them with the US made little sense to me.

In terms of immigration, I think having a clear, transparent and fair system is great, and that means that those that don't adhere to it should be dealt with. But again, he didn't actually create a policy, more so a series of grievences with little actual solutions. Making up claims about roaming caravns filled with rapists and drug dealers did little more than scare people and was not based on reality. What ideas does he have to deal with the millions of illegals currently in the US for example. That is what makes a policy, thinking the entire thing through, Trump seemingly only highlights an apparent problem but seems unable to form any policy to deal with the reality of trying to change it.

All in all, my view of Trump is that he has actually achieved very little in terms of policy. Nearly all of his 'acheivements' have been made by EO and any of the others - Reducion in Welfare state, massive increase in politicalisation of the judiciary, biggest corporate tax giveaway.

The biggest achievement that will follow Trump is his debasement of the position of POTUS. What was once seen as a serious, world leading position, he has reduced to a series of rants and self pitying laments where he continually claims that he is being picked on and that the US is nothing but a put upon country at the mercy of others.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    I think the idea of getting manufacturing jobs back to the US is a good one, but that is all it is he hasn't actually done much to enable it.

I think his drive to remove the US from foreign wars is also good, but again his policy is haphazard and seems to lack a coherent plan, both in terms if ensuring the safety of US and allied troops and also how to cement the gains made during the previous number of years.

I think he was right in his view that many countries had become too dependent on US military spending. But again, his repeated attacks on them rather than looking to bring them with the US made little sense to me.

In terms of immigration, I think having a clear, transparent and fair system is great, and that means that those that don't adhere to it should be dealt with. But again, he didn't actually create a policy, more so a series of grievences with little actual solutions. Making up claims about roaming caravns filled with rapists and drug dealers did little more than scare people and was not based on reality. What ideas does he have to deal with the millions of illegals currently in the US for example. That is what makes a policy, thinking the entire thing through, Trump seemingly only highlights an apparent problem but seems unable to form any policy to deal with the reality of trying to change it.

All in all, my view of Trump is that he has actually achieved very little in terms of policy. Nearly all of his 'acheivements' have been made by EO and any of the others - Reducion in Welfare state, massive increase in politicalisation of the judiciary, biggest corporate tax giveaway.

The biggest achievement that will follow Trump is his debasement of the position of POTUS. What was once seen as a serious, world leading position, he has reduced to a series of rants and self pitying laments where he continually claims that he is being picked on and that the US is nothing but a put upon country at the mercy of others.

so i will take that as a no you cant give trump credit for even one policy.
    surely you can understand that you cant be taken seriously on the subject of trump from now on. you are too partisan. your drinking the cool aid straight from the tap.

i dislike obama and his we can do it rhetoric. he lied on that we can all agree.
    but i give him serious credit for killing bin laden. ending the war in iraq and repealing us military's dont ask/dont tell policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,948 ✭✭✭Christy42

question for you and leroy.
    name one policy that trump has enacted that you believe was a positive and he should get credit for?

There was the partial lobbying ban. It left too many of his cronies in intentionally but you would need that. Really the bug issue is he doesn't know what is going on. It isn't just right wing vs left wing. You hear vague generalities about taxes greatest economy or whatever but no detail. Never serious detail. You can agree or disagree with Hilary's policies but you can't argue she wasn't prepped. She even had a piece about pandemics in her manifesto. At no point do I ever get the idea that he knows any of the specifics of what is going on.

I don't like Ryan's politics but I am sure he could talk for hours about the details of it. Trump I don't like his politics and I don't think get the impression he really knows the details of what he is doing. We got so many versions of what building a wall actually meant.

It is like sticking me as center forward for Ireland. Some people are just not suited for the jobs they are in. I don't think we need some forced sense of balance. I see it as the equivalent of what good points are there to the flat earth arguments?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

surely you can understand that you cant be taken seriously on the subject of trump from now on. you are too partisan. your drinking the cool aid straight from the tap.

i dislike obama and his we can do it rhetoric. he lied on that we can all agree.
    but i give him serious credit for killing bin laden. ending the war in iraq and repealing us military's dont ask/dont tell policy.

The point leroy is making is that Trump has had some genuinely good ideas but he hasn't really put them into action. A lot of talk, not much action. This is due to a lack of political experience. He doesn't understand washington.

He stood up for the protesters in Hong Kong which may have dissuaded the chinese from getting violent, id give him credit for that.

He ordered the operation that killed the leader of ISIS, id give him credit for that.

It's clear that he wanted to withdraw American troops from the middle east and force other NATO members to spend more on defence, this would have been a good thing but it was poorly implemented.

His presidemcy will be defined by coronavirus and his failure to repsond to it effectively though. The impending economic disaster (which hasn't happened yet) will likely cost him election.

Also, Obama took the US economy out of recession and into strong growth. To say anything else is denying historical facts.

If Trump was smarter he could have used coronavirus to secure his second term. Just look at what Leo has done. Approval ratings up and all he did was listen to the experts and implement their plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

firstly john mccain saved obamacare. he hated it but he saved it.

obama was in power 8 years and left the country financially, militarily and spiritually broke. he was average on the economy, cowardly when it came to dealing with russia, china and iran, and played identity politics and the divide in america today he played a large part in it.
    trump is right - obama was the worst american president in our lifetime.

you have to go back to lyndon b johnson to find someone who was more divisive and dangerous then obama.

for the record obamas white house constantly blamed bush junior for the economic woes and the war situations obama could not solve.
    which is worse - trump blaming obama for leaving the cupboard bare or obama hatching a plan to go after trump by using the fbi and the dept of justice and the CIA.

the democratic party are more dangerous to america then the CCP.

Just one question. How does a president leave a country "spiritually broke" what does that mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Can't argue with that to be honest. It is all a bit surreal. I remember all the 'grab her by the pussy' stuff - which was brought up during the election. I was sure he was gone not a hope, it was funny while it lasted etc. Then he dismissed it as 'locker-room talk' and kept going and he even got praised for 'telling it like it is'. Then Hillary ran a really poor campaign and resorted always mentioning how she was a woman, and her ancestor was a shoemaker. In a effort to try and make herself seem ordinary and homely.
    That was twilight zone stuff.

Then when Trump was saying outlandish stuff on twitter as President. I was sure there was going to be announcement his twitter account was hacked.

But now it just seems like the norm. As another poster pointed out it has become so outlandish that even the comedians are baffled at times.

The American Presidency has just turned in a bit of parody of itself. Sure, I am only following this thread to see what up to date madness there is.

But if you were to pick any fella to be President of the USA during a global pandemic it would not be Trump. Grand when not much damage can be done relatively speaking in a 'normal' world environment. But now there is the world all over the place with President equally so.
    If you made this stuff up a a few years ago as a story or film. People would say it required a lot of suspension of disbelief. But it is real life!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

What policies would you think I should be giving him credit for?

I cannot give a policy because I cannot see any that he has actually implemented.

On Obama, your gripe his that he lied? Seriously, if that is your standard then Trump is clearly the worse of the two. No doubt about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

What Trump policies actually lead to something being passed by Congress and senate. Corporate tax cuts and......?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,516 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

For people claiming Trump is not obese/morbidly obese. Time to face facts, despite the lies he told about being fit his own medical report has him as clinically obese, he takes medication for high cholesterol, he also has a heart condition and doesn't exercise in fact he "doesn't believe in exercise".

Heres Trump

TRUMP-GOLF_grande.jpg?v=1486064923

Obama was well known for exercise

452px-Barack_Obama_basketball_at_Martha%27s_Vineyard.jpg

George W Bush

run2-398h.jpg

Clinton

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcTnOxdQjyjPNVZqWCtJmvpz6nhwFJaYEAQzEUEyVf2H35gm0SmV&usqp=CAU

George H W Bush

george-hw-bush.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

Ronald Reagan

5a79eec6193a7a1d008b467f?width=600&format=jpeg&auto=webp

Jimmy Carter

jimmy_carter_jogging.jpg

The fact is that every president for decades has exercised, looked healthy and was active.

Like it or not Trump is at best obese and more than likely morbidly obese.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

This whole post is so absurd - it's actually ironic that you would accuse someone else as being partisan and drinking the Kool-aid. You need to look in the mirror big time, but I bet you avoid those!

You hate hope and positivity? Okaaaay :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

For people claiming Trump is not obese/morbidly obese. Time to face facts, despite the lies he told about being fit his own medical report has him as clinically obese, he takes medication for high cholesterol, he also has a heart condition and doesn't exercise in fact he "doesn't believe in exercise".

Heres Trump

TRUMP-GOLF_grande.jpg?v=1486064923

Obama was well known for exercise

452px-Barack_Obama_basketball_at_Martha%27s_Vineyard.jpg

George W Bush

run2-398h.jpg

Clinton

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcTnOxdQjyjPNVZqWCtJmvpz6nhwFJaYEAQzEUEyVf2H35gm0SmV&usqp=CAU

George H W Bush

george-hw-bush.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

Ronald Reagan

5a79eec6193a7a1d008b467f?width=600&format=jpeg&auto=webp

Jimmy Carter

jimmy_carter_jogging.jpg

The fact is that every president for decades has exercised, looked healthy and was active.

Like it or not Trump is at best obese and more than likely morbidly obese.

I don't see the point in this fat shaming post?

Blueshoe wrote: »
    I don't see the point in this fat shaming post?

You say "fat shaming"

I say fair comparison to predecessors who looked and acted presidential.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

You say "fat shaming"

Fat people can't be presidential is the crux of what you just wrote.
    Were former presidents Taft and Cleveland presidential too or were they too fat

That's fat shaming friend. No point in it

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Fat people can't be presidential is the crux of what you just wrote.

That's fat shaming

No, that's how you chose to perceive what I wrote.

My point is that Pelosi was right in what she said about Trump.

He is (morbidly?) Obese, he is also unhealthy due to lack of exercise, he has a heart condition and takes medication for high cholesterol. The pictures are for comparison, does he look healthy to you? Does he look like the healthiest individual ever elected to the presidency” to you?

No, that's how you chose to perceive what I wrote.

My point is that Pelosi was right in what she said about Trump.

He is (morbidly?) Obese, he is also unhealthy due to lack of exercise, he has a heart condition and takes medication for high cholesterol. The pictures are for comparison, does he look healthy to you? Does he look like the healthiest individual ever elected to the presidency” to you?

What is going on this thread
    Couple of posters query the anti trump bias on here and this thread is reduced to posts About fat shaming, gas lighting, water carrying and fake news

My god Donnie would be proud of you
    The irony is lols

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Hate this idea that calling someone out for being overweight and unhealthy is "fat shaming". It's a valid criticism especially for someone in a prominent position that people listen to. Maybe more people would be actually lose weight and stop being a burden on the health services if we didn't just accept obesity as being okay.

"He considers exercise misguided, arguing that a person, like a battery, is born with a finite amount of energy."

This is his crackpot view on exercise btw!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

You say "fat shaming"

Hahaha and here was me thinking that the trump critics spouting nonsense that there would be riots and deaths if trump loses the election was the craziness thing I'd hear but, apparently not because being fat also makes you a bad president too.

"He considers exercise misguided, arguing that a person, like a battery, is born with a finite amount of energy."

This is his crackpot view on exercise btw!

Link please

• Advertisement

Hahaha and here was me thinking that the trump critics spouting nonsense about there would be riots and deaths if trump loses the election was the craziness thing I'd hear but, apparently not because being fat also makes you a bad president too.

It might not make you a bad president but it makes you a bad role model especially in the middle of a pandemic when being obese puts you at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Link please

Google is your friend if you somehow never heard that tidbit!

I want a link to when he said it exactly
    A link to the original source

Thanks

There's plenty of links on his views about exercise. If you're interested, go and find them yourself.

I want a link to when he said it exactly
    A link to the original source

Thanks

Any luck with those policies of Trumps that we should be crediting him with?

Any luck with those policies of Trumps that we should be crediting him with?

That was not the point of the exercise
    I have 3 to Obama a president I don’t rate
    You couldn’t give one to trump
    The brutal honesty is you could not give 1 to any of trump both bushes and Reagan
    Whereas I could give credit to Clinton and even Carter

There's plenty of links on his views about exercise. If you're interested, go and find them yourself.

So you don’t have one.

So you don’t have one.

I'm not sure why you even need links? It's obvious just by looking at him. That's the only source you need. How about you give us the links to the policies he should get credit for like the previous poster asked? You're all talk and nothing to back it up with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

"that medication may not be safe for someone obese/ coronavirus could be more dangerous for an obese person" - OMG you cant say hes obese. So it doesnt matter that it could kill him or make him sick as long as his (or anyone elses )poor feelings dont get hurt?

(regardless that its prescription and he doesnt suffer from what the prescription is for so is basically telling a doctor to give him whatever drugs he wants)

Prescriptions surged after he started going on about it. Whats the point of keeping potentially dangerous drugs prescription only if you can just walk in and pay a doctor to give you what you want? Have they no morals?

BTW, did she not also mention his age bracket? Wheres the ageist outrage because she dared mention he's in that at risk group?

Advertisement