Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American response

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    I doubt many or hoping for the fall if the US, most of us grew up with the idea that US was great and the land if opportunity.

But, Trump and his supporters think the US is a disaster, hence the calls to MAGA. It is Trump and his supporters that continually call out how terrible the US is.

Apparently, US cities are in chaos, the FBI and CIA are corrupt, the DNC control a shadowy deep state intent on denying people their rights, the southern border is a war zone, the MSM is a corrupt politically motivated enemy of the people, scientists are all working off an agenda to enslave the public and mass shootings are just one of things that happens in a free country.

So far from others wishing for the destruction of the US, Trump and his supporters frevreently believe that the US is in chaos.

OK. But what does that have to do with the pandemic? I was talking about CNN and what I thought was excessive fear mongering with their death ticker constantly displayed and their selective reporting of facts. I most definitely am not a trump supporter so the relevance of your reply is questionable. You can read back through the thread to see examples of people calling all Americans stupid and gleefully posting about the upcoming downfall of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,579 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    OK. But what does that have to do with the pandemic?

Its 9only very slightly linked, but there is a link.

Trumps handling of the crisis, particularly the outright politicization of it, combined with the very clear chaos and open chasm between how the two sides are dealing with it, merely adds to the evidence that the US is fast heading for trouble.

This was an issue, as terrible as it is, to bring the US back together. Many countries have used this crisis to, at least, reduce open hostility in political fighting. Instead Trump has looked to drive the wedge even deeper.

It such a crisis cannot bring people together in a shared drive to beat a common enemy, it is hard to see how anything will.

I do not see the tracker as anything gleeful. It is a fact tracker. 100k have died, probably many more, and it is the job of the media to report facts. You are interpreting it as gleeful.

But CNN report polls, job numbers, GDP stats, stock markets etc. Do you think them reporting, what was at the time a record stock exchange, political and being on Trumps side?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,948 ✭✭✭Christy42

2u2me wrote: »
    I'd agree they could have setup contact tracing and such as well would have helped enormously, but didn't. They are the richest country in the world, no excuses.

Biden though has said "Diseases don't stop at borders or walls" which is just as bad as "Disease aren't stopped by social distancing" in my eyes.

I mean he is right. You can put words in his mouth but as long as he didn't say that diseases aren't slow by border measures then I don't see the issue.

His own plans have focused on testing and health care which is what the science has pointed towards. Biden's plans on this issue have been pretty good.

You can focus ó the i s and outs of a single line if you wish but overall Biden seems like he would pretty decent at this. If only because he would do as the scientists tell him and not encourage people to think there is nothing to worry about (or take random pieces of medication)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,516 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I'd agree they could have setup contact tracing and such as well would have helped enormously, but didn't. They are the richest country in the world, no excuses.

Biden though has said "Diseases don't stop at borders or walls" which is just as bad as "Disease aren't stopped by social distancing" in my eyes.

I wish people would stop spouting this, they are not the richest country in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭Cody montana

I wish people would stop spouting this, they are not the richest country in the world.

They are hurtling towards 26 trillion in debt!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

OK. But what does that have to do with the pandemic? I was talking about CNN and what I thought was excessive fear mongering with their death ticker constantly displayed and their selective reporting of facts. I most definitely am not a trump supporter so the relevance of your reply is questionable. You can read back through the thread to see examples of people calling all Americans stupid and gleefully posting about the upcoming downfall of the country.

If there was an Irish CNN, it would be regularly criticised and derided as insensitive and a generally ridiculous media organisation with exaggerated graphics.

Somehow, because CNN is American, the Irish here seem to defend it and think it's great.

Very odd and depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Armed MAGAs lynching an effigy of the governor in Kentucky outside his official residence. This is normal....

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Armed MAGAs lynching an effigy of the governor in Kentucky outside his official residence. This is normal....

Obviously we are too dumb to realise why hanging an effigy of a person outside their home is not a threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

"richest country in the world" :)

Usually by this they mean that they can generate the most resources pretty quickly. Hence they should be able to put forward the best response. That should be the US' target in all cases.

Not the worst seems to be their aim here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭Cody montana

namloc1980 wrote: »

They used to do the same with Obama.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

They used to do the same with Obama.

They've moved on to doing it to white people now, how progressive of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

and unfortunately that means many of their idiots become rich by default

https://twitter.com/DelWilber/status/1265234465632276482?s=19

Husband of deceased Scarborough staffer asks Twitter to delete baseless Trump claims. The pain Trump has needlessly caused this family is laid bare in the letter. Feel sorry for the losers here who think that this pathetic excuse of a man is worth defending.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

This will be ignored by the clapping seals

Or maybe they'll claim that man is part of the deep state too *shrug*

• Registered Users Posts: 10,640 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

So true. In terms of GDP (PPP) they are 6 places behind Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭threeball

https://twitter.com/DelWilber/status/1265234465632276482?s=19

Husband of deceased Scarborough staffer asks Twitter to delete baseless Trump claims. The pain Trump has needlessly caused this family is laid bare in the letter. Feel sorry for the losers here who think that this pathetic excuse of a man is worth defending.

Twitter have refused to address this. Too worried about offending trump and the attention he brings to their platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,081 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »

A poster on one of the other threads was saying that the US deaths will be 200k by the end of June. Not looking likely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Billy Mays wrote: »
    This will be ignored by the clapping seals

Or maybe they'll claim that man is part of the deep state too *shrug*

Maybe if you brought it to the right thread you might get someone to bite. *slow clap*

• Advertisement

Maybe if you brought it to the right thread you might get someone to bite. *slow clap*

It was me who posted it though it's no surprise that your only response to it is sarcasm and a whinge that it's in the wrong thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,970 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

A poster on one of the other threads was saying that the US deaths will be 200k by the end of June. Not looking likely

The "official" death toll, or the actual death toll?

What we'll need to find the true COVID-19 death toll

• Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

• Registered Users Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭dogbert27

• Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Any dau now it's gonna magically disappear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭snoopboggybog

Gonna spread like wildfire in the next few weeks. Wouldn't be suprised if the numbers infected doubled in the next two months

• Registered Users Posts: 18,619 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    I see Twitter have added a Fact Check to one of his Tweets today.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1265255835124539392

Never seen that kind of thing before actually.

from: https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2020/05/26/trump-twitter-label-fact-check/

I think it is a good idea just sticks to facts and lets people make thier own mind up.

Stops use of emotive language. It is understandable Trump does not like it though because emotive language is his trade mark.

It will be difficult to do fact checks on all the covid19 stuff though as there are different ways of measurement and different theories as it is still guesswork.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

It's absolutely insane what's going on!

At least in Saudi or Iran you know what the rules are, but america is INSANE!

The root of the issue is cops want to go home safe at night, and when you are in a situation where any person anywhere could be heavily armed it has to make you a psycho whilst out and about.

Watched a vid of a chap picking up litter with a grabber and bucket, and he looked really annoyed with the cop telling him to drop his weapon and he was standing his ground, his boss verified him in the end, as sirens, cars and back up cops all appeared around him. he was definitely close to getting killed.

So for a person of Colour you must have papers stating your address with ID or else it's off to the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,071 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Gonna spread like wildfire in the next few weeks. Wouldn't be suprised if the numbers infected doubled in the next two months

Last thing the thread needs is another debate about the protests,,but in two weeks time after these huge rallies don't cause any spike in infections, then maybe they could re -open some out doors type events with restricted attendances and masks.

If the infected numbers do spike significantly then America will somehow be even ****ed than it is atm.

• Advertisement

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Last thing the thread needs is another debate about the protests,,but in two weeks time after these huge rallies don't cause any spike in infections, then maybe they could re -open some out doors type events with restricted attendances and masks.

If the infected numbers do spike significantly then America will somehow be even ****ed than it is atm.

Yeah, if there isn't a huge outbreak following the protests then baseball games with fans and other outdoor events could be a runner. And also, all the lockdowns would be shown to have been a huge over reaction. its been a week, we should start to see the impact soon if theres going to be one. Although a lot of places have shut down testing centers because of the protests so its back to square one with testing in those areas.

They definitely seem like they would be super spreader events like has been talked about often with this virus. I hope not though because I really thought we were doing well in a lot of states, even with the premature reopenings in some cases. If this ****s us up again it will be infuriating, but watching the news youd be forgiven for thinking covid wasn't even a thing anymore. Its eradicated altogether, now lets not mention it and crowd together screaming and coughing.

I ate in a restaurant for the first time since march last night (social distancing observed, staff wearing masks and tested before going back and regularly after that) . I'd hate for things to go backwards again.

Advertisement