Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American response

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,579 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

It cetainly appears that the rush to reopen is not going to be the easy ride that Trump, and others, were hoping for.

https://twitter.com/cfishman/status/1269781054635868161

Cases seem very much to be at the levels they were out when things were out of control in NYC.

Could just be a spike, but it is very much in line with the warnings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

California (+ 40% in two weeks), Florida (big jump which has doubled rolling 7 day average in two weeks), Texas (+70% again in last two weeks), North Carolina, Arizona, South Carolina all seeing a notable upswing in daily cases.

When was Memorial Day again? May 25th.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Has Donnie even mentioned covid 19 in the last fortnight?

Haven't noticed anything with all the other stuff going on over there

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Has Donnie even mentioned covid 19 in the last fortnight?

Haven't noticed anything with all the other stuff going on over there

Not sure when he last mentioned it but clearly he has simply decided that if he ignores it then it goes away.

He tried the whole daily press conference 'I'm in charge' and that was a disaster so what else can he really do? The numbers are shooting up in a number of states but seemingly he thinks it is all over and he he focused on getting back on the campaign trail.

It what he does with everything. He gets totally involved, pushing the actual experts out of the way to show how great he is, then it becomes clear he hasn't a clue, and so he simply forgets about it.

Healthcare, the wall, North Korea , Covid. Anything that seemingly requires work, or the long game, he is incapable of seeing through.

He wants instant gratification, instant adulation and many of the things that require fixing require longer term projects. He does not appear to have either the focus or the interest.

yep the riots and protests have been good news for Trump.

• Advertisement

‘By clicking register below, you are acknowledging that an inherent risk of exposure to Covid-19 exists in any public place where people are present,’ a statement on Mr. Trump’s campaign website informed those wishing to attend his June 19 rally in Tulsa, Okla. ‘By attending the rally, you and any guests voluntarily assume all risks related to exposure to Covid-19 and agree not to hold Donald J. Trump for President, Inc.; BOK Center; ASM Global; or any of their affiliates, directors, officers, employees, agents, contractors or volunteers liable for any illness or injury.’

Come to my rally to support me, and please sign this to make sure I don't ever have to support you!

• Registered Users Posts: 86,093 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Rise again in Positive Cases in US

• Registered Users Posts: 10,640 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Come to my rally to support me, and please sign this to make sure I don't ever have to support you!

:D Brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0614/1147402-usa-coronavirus-cases/

Cases still rising in some states, which may be a function of increased testing. But hospitalisations also rising, which isn't. It'll be back on the US agenda soonby the looks of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Looking at 60k march in seattle with shouts etc, there will surely be a sharp rise there.

The figures in America have been as low as ours for deaths but they have a much larger infection rate.

What is the factor saving lives there, it's not their fitness or general health?

Is it Vitamin D levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Danzy wrote: »
    Looking at 60k march in seattle with shouts etc, there will surely be a sharp rise there.

The figures in America have been as low as ours for deaths but they have a much larger infection rate.

What is the factor saving lives there, it's not their fitness or general health?

Is it Vitamin D levels.

The States numbers are not truly reflective of all those who have died, the same as most countries. There are very large gaps outside of confirmed hospital deaths.

One would have to first check how the numbers are being calculated. I suspect that the death cases are being underreported, much like they were in the UK for so long.

The UK were claiming 30k, at one point, when the extra deaths suggested closer to 55 of 60k. Is the same thing happening in US, how realistic are our numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Is it Vitamin D levels.

Yeah, deaths are continuing to drop. Today was the lowest daily number reported since March. I saw a doctor on CNN just a while ago saying that from what he is observing, people presenting to hospital just aren't as sick as previously and also that they are able to better treat patients now.

For a lot of states, the cases are rising with increased testing but the positive rate is remaining stable. This is a good sign IMO but some like Arizona could be in trouble. Their positive test rate is rising and hospitals are starting to feel the strain.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Is it Vitamin D levels.

No, the US mortality rate is now higher than ours and that gap will continue to increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,948 ✭✭✭Christy42

No, the US mortality rate is now higher than ours and that gap will continue to increase.

Indeed. Europe was hit earlier than the US in general. Ireland has also been pretty aggressive in counting corona virus deaths. The US varies a bit by state. We kept hearing about how the US had lower overall cases/deaths per million with little regard for recent trends. Then just about deaths per million in comparison to Ireland and now we will hear about neither.

However deaths seem to be dropping even as new cases increase (on a world level). I am wondering if a less lethal form of the disease is becoming dominant as it is presumably easier to spread if people are less obviously sick. Maybe that is hopeful as countries were the disease has taken hold recently have less resources to find out more accurate figures and/or are less likely to tell the truth with their figures.

Still I am hopeful of a less lethal strain.

Christy42 wrote: »
    Indeed. Europe was hit earlier than the US in general. Ireland has also been pretty aggressive in counting corona virus deaths. The US varies a bit by state. We kept hearing about how the US had lower overall cases/deaths per million with little regard for recent trends. Then just about deaths per million in comparison to Ireland and now we will hear about neither.

However deaths seem to be dropping even as new cases increase (on a world level). I am wondering if a less lethal form of the disease is becoming dominant as it is presumably easier to spread if people are less obviously sick. Maybe that is hopeful as countries were the disease has taken hold recently have less resources to find out more accurate figures and/or are less likely to tell the truth with their figures.

Still I am hopeful of a less lethal strain.

Dozens of states are currently seeing a rise in new cases. That can only mean one thing for the mortality rate going forward. By comparison, Ireland's new cases rate has very much fallen. The Tulsa rally epitomises this stupid disregard for ordinary people's health and is symbolic of Trump's indifference to other human beings. Wrt a less lethal form of the virus, I haven't come across any reports of that but it would be a very welcome shift.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭threeball

Dozens of states are currently seeing a rise in new cases. That can only mean one thing for the mortality rate going forward. By comparison, Ireland's new cases rate has very much fallen. The Tulsa rally epitomises this stupid disregard for ordinary people's health and is symbolic of Trump's indifference to other human beings. Wrt a less lethal form of the virus, I haven't come across any reports of that but it would be a very welcome shift.

With all the activity in the US its pretty much inevitable that the virus will take off again. The same is likely in the UK and France who also had their own mass demonstrations. Add in Trumps political rallies on top and its not inconceivable that they may need another lockdown just before the elections. If that happens its literally a powderkeg, Trump won't shut, some states might have to and will, others might have to and won't. The potential for conflict is huge and now you have very definite groups organised through BLM and Trump supporters who are very much at odds already, with Trump stroking the fire tweet by tweet.

threeball wrote: »
    With all the activity in the US its pretty much inevitable that the virus will take off again. The same is likely in the UK and France who also had their own mass demonstrations. Add in Trumps political rallies on top and its not inconceivable that they may need another lockdown just before the elections. If that happens its literally a powderkeg, Trump won't shut, some states might have to and will, others might have to and won't. The potential for conflict is huge and now you have very definite groups organised through BLM and Trump supporters who are very much at odds already, with Trump stroking the fire tweet by tweet.

All very true unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

I see Trump's rally this weekend is indoors in Tulsa's BOK centre - looks like the only thing happening there for over a month http://www.bokcenter.com/events/.

Surely this is a bad idea? Is he really that desperate for election in Nov that he would take such a risk with people's health?

• Advertisement

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    I see Trump's rally this weekend is indoors in Tulsa's BOK centre - looks like the only thing happening there for over a month http://www.bokcenter.com/events/.

Surely this is a bad idea? Is he really that desperate for election in Nov that he would take such a risk with people's health?

Yes. 100%. The daily press briefings were his outlet for a while, until it became clear that he wasn't facing a clapping audience and that he was answerable for stuff he actually said.

So he dropped those, despite the amazing ratings!. And now he needs another outlet. He needs instant gratification, he needs to buzz he gets from the crowd.

As for people getting sick, well he has a disclaimer so it isn't his problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,557 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Don't know if this was already posted or if it is confirmed to be associated with Trump....

https://twitter.com/donwinslow/status/1272346254069161988

Don't know if this was already posted or if it is confirmed to be associated with Trump....

I haven't seen any confirmation. I'd be thinking someone is messing

Looks like he has addressed my concerns anyway! :pac: Everything is fine.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1272529858501976065

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1272532925460905984

"So much bigger" :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

I suppose he’s dying to recreate his Nuremberg rally atmosphere but given the current climate could it not be held outdoors for people’s safety? Or does he not care

• Registered Users Posts: 18,619 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Looks like he has addressed my concerns anyway! :pac: Everything is fine.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1272529858501976065

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1272532925460905984

"So much bigger" :confused:

Am I the only one who reads his tweets complete with Donald Trump voice and intonations?
    As usual he has expressed things clumsily. Would have had a good point on covid19 in BLM gatherings, if he did not use it to justify his rallies.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

From guardian
    Arizona, Florida, Oklahoma, Oregon and Texas all reported their most ever new cases on Tuesday after all-time highs last week and as they continued to reopen their economies. Nevada also reported its highest single-day tally of new cases on Tuesday, up from a previous high on 23 May.

Donald Trump is planning to hold an indoor campaign rally in Oklahoma this weekend despite the state recording 591 new coronavirus cases on Monday, a 7.7% increase and the highest in the United States. According to Reuters cases in Oklahoma rose 68% last week.

On Tuesday Oklahoma health officials urged anyone attending the rally to get tested for coronavirus before arriving and then to self-isolate following the event and get tested again. The health commissioner urged those over 65 or at higher risk of coronavirus-related complications to stay home.

Pence said in a Wall Street Journal opinion piece that alarm about the continued rise in infections was “overblown”.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/texas/
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/florida/
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/california/

No current page for Arizona but found this https://www.google.com/search?newwindow=1&rlz=1C1AOHY_en&ei=wdrpXoPMKpGG1fAP8sCCCA&q=arizona+covid+19+infection+cases&oq=arizona+covid+19+infection+cases&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQA1D7qhBY4rkQYP3AEGgAcAB4AIABcIgBrQWSAQMzLjSYAQCgAQGqAQdnd3Mtd2l6&sclient=psy-ab&ved=0ahUKEwjDsNixvYjqAhURQxUIHXKgAAEQ4dUDCAw&uact=5

It is like they al deliberately ignored all the warning signals.

Those stats were seem to support the view that things were opened up too soon, and as such the only reasonable course of action is to return to previous restrictions to bring things back under control.

But Trump clearly has moved on. A report yesterday, using calculations previously used by the WH, is not estimating 200+k deaths by autumn (October I think it was).

No question about it, the public are sleepwalking into a second disaster before the first one has ended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,970 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

No question about it, the public are sleepwalking into a second disaster before the first one has ended.

They are being sleep walked into disaster.

Fauci has been reduced to given sporadic skype calls and Deborah has disappeared completely, that was intentional.

Advertisement