Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American response

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,579 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Yeah, it has been removed from the daily news cycle and from the WH agenda. Hardly ever get mentioned, expect for great numbers and retail getting back.

Why are the DNC not making more of a fuss about it? Biden makes a few tweets but overall they are just as silent.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,970 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Leroy42 wrote: »

Why are the DNC not making more of a fuss about it? Biden makes a few tweets but overall they are just as silent.

The democrats don't need to do anything at the moment.

Trump is doing it all for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,516 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Yeah, it has been removed from the daily news cycle and from the WH agenda. Hardly ever get mentioned, expect for great numbers and retail getting back.

As callous as it may sound, the more deaths from COVID the better for the DNC and that's why they are keeping quiet for now, They will hammer Trump with primetime adverts and it will be bought up time after time at any debates.

Trump says we did our best, he gets reminded of him saying it will disappear. He says people spread it, he gets reminded of insisting states reopen. By the time the election rolls around there will be a lot of people who will know someone who has died or been badly affected by COVID and many will blame Trump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Boggles wrote: »
    They are being sleep walked into disaster.

Fauci has been reduced to given sporadic skype calls and Deborah has disappeared completely, that was intentional.

I did think about posting exactly that then I thought that the American public should know to protect and survive on their own accounts by now.

But you're right, they take their lead from the top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Those stats were seem to support the view that things were opened up too soon, and as such the only reasonable course of action is to return to previous restrictions to bring things back under control.

But Trump clearly has moved on. A report yesterday, using calculations previously used by the WH, is not estimating 200+k deaths by autumn (October I think it was).

I don't get it. Wasn't the idea though to flatten the curve and prepare to contact trace, get equipment, testing, etc.. not to prevent deaths.

Is there now a risk that hospitals will be over-run over there?

• Advertisement

Yes, depending on the state. Fauci saying that they are very fare from coming out of the 1st wave, never mind the 2nd wave.

It is highly dangerous and irresponsible that states are not going back into lockdown (those states effected) as a consequence of the increasing cases.

It seems, at least to me, that since the numbers are down in NY that the rest of the country has simply forgotten about it and 'time to move on' has become the thinking. As if the virus has any notion about time or the economy.

But surely Trump can see all this? Surely even he can see that continuing rising deaths, particularly as other countries (hopefully) start to emerge is bad for him? Can he be that fixated that his only chance of getting elected in November of having the economy back again?

I would have thought that there would be civil servants (not sure what they would be the equivalent in the US) advising him and showing the facts. It seems incredible that any leader can simply ignore all the advice and just do whatever they want for themselves and face no pushback from anywhere.

Do people in the US simply not care? Do they simply ignore it unless it touches them directly? Do they think it is all just Fake News or exaggerated by the media?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,557 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Yes, depending on the state. Fauci saying that they are very fare from coming out of the 1st wave, never mind the 2nd wave.

It is highly dangerous and irresponsible that states are not going back into lockdown (those states effected) as a consequence of the increasing cases.

It seems, at least to me, that since the numbers are down in NY that the rest of the country has simply forgotten about it and 'time to move on' has become the thinking. As if the virus has any notion about time or the economy.

But surely Trump can see all this? Surely even he can see that continuing rising deaths, particularly as other countries (hopefully) start to emerge is bad for him? Can he be that fixated that his only chance of getting elected in November of having the economy back again?

I would have thought that there would be civil servants (not sure what they would be the equivalent in the US) advising him and showing the facts. It seems incredible that any leader can simply ignore all the advice and just do whatever they want for themselves and face no pushback from anywhere.

Do people in the US simply not care? Do they simply ignore it unless it touches them directly? Do they think it is all just Fake News or exaggerated by the media?

Saw a video on twitter earlier in the week of members of the public coming to some town hall type meeting and absolutely letting rip at the politicians for legislating for wearing masks. And these weren't necessarily flag and sunglasses patriots, lot of women, looked very much middle class soccer mom type people but they were spouting facts such as 'the rate of deaths is not actually above what it is for a normal year' and calling the medical advisors charlatans for calling for caution. One lady was incensed that the body is designed to get rid of CO2 and mask legislation is forcing her to breathe that back in.

Come September/October, Trumps campaign will show media clips of CNN, Polosi, Biden downplaying the virus from February, they will talk about the average deaths over a year period, and will muddy the water further by saying many died with Covid-19 instead of from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

I’ve noticed more and more left-leaning influencer-types (comedians, philosophers who I thought had critical thinking skills) saying the Pandemic is a hoax and the figures are being fudged by the media. I’d say a lot of that is from living in a paranoid & corrupt country like America. They might be some of the anti-vaxxer brigade too.
    It’s scary how they are discouraging social distancing, etc. and their social media followers lapping it up.

Also there’s a lot of backlash against the WHO and Bill Gates. Although they appear to be Trump drones and conspiracy theorists.

So there’s left and right gobsh!tes (for want of a better word).

Honestly watching what’s happening in the US, is an absolute ****show of epic proportions. Will there be an end in sight to the number of cases and deaths.
    As another poster said, it will take the death of a loved one before any of these morons will see the light.

Very, very sad and dismaying to watch it all unfold :(

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭mitchelsontour

Living in the USA and its response has been pathetic from the beginning. We have taken the attitude that we would follow the HSE advice as our go to rather than the local state regulations.

Personally my view is that there is no historic memory in the community over here, it is all about the now. Europe (in general) has a collective memory through education systems that embraces history and knowledge of plague and famines that people understand the need for quarantine. This is does not really exist here where the history taught in schools is all about USA being the saviors of the world who can do no wrong.

There has been no leadership from Trump and when the fact don't match the fiction that he wants to portray then it is swept under the carpet and his merry band of republican follower believe his claim that it is a hoax and will disappear.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Death rate looks like it will exceed 120,000 today.

It is crazy that this is no longer front page news over there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,948 ✭✭✭Christy42

Back to 33000 cases in a day. Hasn't been close to that in the US since April.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,557 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Christy42 wrote: »
    Back to 33000 cases in a day. Hasn't been close to that in the US since April.

Yesterday was the highest single day increase worldwide since the pandemic began.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Even while the US cases have been plateaued and now rising again, the deaths have been continually dropping. And its not all because of new york. My state started reopening over a month ago and we have seen an increase in cases but deaths are still trending down. Is it better treatments?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,948 ✭✭✭Christy42

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Even while the US cases have been plateaued and now rising again, the deaths have been continually dropping. And its not all because of new york. My state started reopening over a month ago and we have seen an increase in cases but deaths are still trending down. Is it better treatments?

No idea. It seems to be the world over that cases are resulting in less deaths.

Hopefully something like a less deadly strain has taken hold. Potential for a lot of lying in some of the countries like Brasil. The US did have less cases for a while so they could be on a delayed effect. People may be more used to treating it at this point.

In any case a big increase in cases can only lead to more deaths than would otherwise have been the case.

Yesterday was the highest single day increase worldwide since the pandemic began.

Some of this is attributable to increased testing.

However the hospitalization % rate in the USA has also jumped right back up. That's very worrying. That metric has nothing to do with how many tests you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,389 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Don't know if this was already posted or if it is confirmed to be associated with Trump....

https://twitter.com/donwinslow/status/1272346254069161988

I thought it was only George Soros who paid crowds to attend events

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

If it still doesn't scare this guy then what hope

https://twitter.com/aravosis/status/1274355082402955269

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

6 trump staffers in the advance party setting up Tulsa test positive for covid19

https://mobile.twitter.com/GDUBYANCOFFEE1/status/1274412870579576832

• Registered Users Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

kenmc wrote: »
    6 trump staffers in the advance party setting up Tulsa test positive for covid19

https://mobile.twitter.com/GDUBYANCOFFEE1/status/1274412870579576832

Nigel Farage flew in for the rally! Posted it on his FB page. Travelling for business do all good!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,553 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I see 4000 cases today in Florida....they really have made a hash of the whole coronavirus thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,553 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Nigel Farage flew in for the rally! Posted it on his FB page. Travelling for business do all good!!
    I thought the US had a travel ban from UK?

gmisk wrote: »
    I thought the US had a travel ban from UK?

Trump got him an exemption as a person of importance..
    https://twitter.com/carolecadwalla/status/1274457010004725768?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

I see talk that Trump has cancelled his address outside the BOK centre as there doesn't seem to be anyone there, so will just be inside and some texts have been sent out to fans to come on down.

Hopefully the lack of crowd will help with the spread of .....the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,516 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Just looked at the live stream, looking quite empty, I suppose he will blame the Dems for taking all the tickets and not showing:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭threeball

gmisk wrote: »
    I see 4000 cases today in Florida....they really have made a hash of the whole coronavirus thing

Countries with populist leaders who really only care about enriching themselves and their buddies have been hit hardest. The States, the UK, Brazil etc.

Its the price you pay when you vote for scum. We're just lucky SF didn't get enough votes to form a government

• Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Highest number of cases since May 1st, record number of cases announced in 12 states

Doesn't seem to be miraculously disappearing just yet

The number of cases is going to start to go down, since Trump announced that he had ordered his team to reduce the level of testing since the numbers were too high.

The POTUS actually stood up on stage and announced that far from trying to protect the citizens he is now actively looking to limit the numbers as it makes things look bad.

And the worst part of it is, nobody is even surprised. All it does is confirm what most people already thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,227 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Leroy42 wrote:
    And the worst part of it is, nobody is even surprised. All it does is confirm what most people already thought.

That he's a scumbag and his base will never see that

• Registered Users Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The number of cases is going to start to go down, since Trump announced that he had ordered his team to reduce the level of testing since the numbers were too high.

The POTUS actually stood up on stage and announced that far from trying to protect the citizens he is now actively looking to limit the numbers as it makes things look bad.

Doesn't do much good though as the increase in hospitalizations is being noticed anyway.

In regard to Trump and his supporters it's a sad reflection of the state of society that we are dealing with idiocracy when it comes to his base.

Hopefully in November he's not re elected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Fauci says racism is partly to blame in the higher death rates among African Americans.

https://www.businessinsider.com/fauci-racism-is-fueling-black-coronavirus-rates-deaths-2020-6?r=US&IR=T
    "Dr. Fauci, would you consider racism itself as being one of the stressors that certainly impacts the African-American community more in an extraordinary way, that contributes to these co-comorbidities?" Congressman Bobby Rush, an Illinois civil rights activist who once helped found his local chapter of the Black Panthers, asked.

"Obviously, the African-American community has suffered from racism for a very, very long period of time," Fauci said in response. "And I cannot imagine that that has not contributed to the conditions that they find themselves in, economically and otherwise. So the answer, Congressmen, is yes."

Bit more of an expanded answer here...
    https://twitter.com/TimOBrien/status/1275488389144489984

Advertisement