Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American response

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

California's numbers went way up after the protests began, as did many other states, some of which had already been open for a while. I think the rise in numbers is a combination of reopenings and protests. Theres no way some of them weren't super spreading events. New york and other Eastern states are relatively safe because the virus has already ripped through there and the first peak or wave is definitely over. New York has started to reopen bars so will be interesting to see if that accounts for another rise.

Californias new rules are that you can't gather with people from outside your household, even outdoors for 4th July fireworks etc. I know they cant ban protests but come on, its the same thing and isn't somehow immune from the virus simply because its a protest.

Its ridiculous how a pandemic virus sweeping the country has become about politics, to the point that people are denying common sense. Political rallies are dangerous right now, protests of any kind are dangerous right now. Spending extended periods in crowds is dangerous, especially without a mask but a mask isn't a silver bullet either. Those are facts. Not sure why they are even up for debate. As I've said before, I get why the protests are happening and people are completely entitled and justified to do it. Just worst timing ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,948 ✭✭✭Christy42

So you don't agree with public health advice? That's the implication of what you're saying.

No it isn't, do not put words in my mouth because you can't back up your point. Right. Trump hasn't worn a mask. This is against public health advice. Did him not wearing a mask cause 40000 cases a day? No. Same thing here.

I am not saying it is advisable but blaming the 40000 cases on it is nonsense. Again I ask prove that the protests caused the massive uptick in cases and not the many other violations or indeed the fact that many States with protests do not present the same end result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Hold on a moment. Accoring to Trump the WHO is a corrupt useless body. Medical experts are advisory only and need not be listened to depending your own opinion and common sense is all about what ones believes Freedom means.

You can't have it both ways. Trump has dismissed all of these and you have stood by him, you then can't blame others when people don't listen to them either.

It certainly has all come together. Trumps continued insistance that everything that is even midly against his POV must be wrong and biased and out to get him, that experts don't know anything and that when anybody warns you of anything it is only to stop you and take away your freedom, was always going to lead to marge amount of people thinking that rules that apply to them, that stuff happens to other people, that they carry no personal responsibility.

Trump is an eejit. If he ever comes back to Ireland il be giving him a slap.

2000 protests in cities and towns across the United states have caused a spike in cases. Mass gatherings during a pandemic are very silly

• Registered Users Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Meanwhile in Texas where bars have been closed...

Ebxc-txWAAAw96V?format=jpg&name=small

Ebxc-txWAAIwqv-?format=jpg&name=small

Bar owners today said they were going to reopen in defiance.

New record 4,788 cases for Arizona today and 88 deaths which is highest so far for the state.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Christy42 wrote: »
    No it isn't, do not put words in my mouth because you can't back up your point. Right. Trump hasn't worn a mask. This is against public health advice. Did him not wearing a mask cause 40000 cases a day? No. Same thing here.

I am not saying it is advisable but blaming the 40000 cases on it is nonsense. Again I ask prove that the protests caused the massive uptick in cases and not the many other violations or indeed the fact that many States with protests do not present the same end result.

You're again missing the point and can't get Trump out of your head.

The protests and the behaviour of Trump were both mad. We're observers here, we don't need to get crazy about Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,948 ✭✭✭Christy42

You're again missing the point and can't get Trump out of your head.

The protests and the behaviour of Trump were both mad. We're observers here, we don't need to get crazy about Trump.

The original point was trying to pin the blame for the massive increase in cases on the blm protests. I have repeatedly asked for evidence of this. This seems pretty on topic to me. People keep trying to equate me saying they are not causing an extra 20k cases per day and taking it to mean it means I think outdoor gatherings are a great idea. Yes outdoor gatherings are not a great idea. However there is a lot more effects at play and I have yet to see any evidence that they have been a major player in the recent increase in cases where the biggest common denominator is states that refused to close down.

You are the one going on about anti trumpers? Is your argument for anything just shouting they have Trump on the brain?

Things looking pretty bleak now.

California, Texas and Arizona all smashing records today.

Texas hospitalisations are up 620 in the last 24 hours alone!
    HOUSTON-AREA ICUS REACH 102% OF CAPACITY: TEXAS MEDICAL CENTER

https://twitter.com/AnaCabrera/status/1278393569271824384

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1278399474914725894?s=09

Coumo is a fantastically clear speaker. Trump needs to come clean that he has completely ****ed this up. Denying reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1278399474914725894?s=09

Coumo is a fantastically clear speaker. Trump needs to come clean that he has completely ****ed this up. Denying reality.

I couldn't agree more with what he is saying there.

But I can't see Trump admitting he is wrong. I don't think there's even anyone left here that sides with Trump's handling of this? What a mess.

• Advertisement

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    I couldn't agree more with what he is saying there.

But I can't see Trump admitting he is wrong. I don't think there's even anyone left here that sides with Trump's handling of this? What a mess.

No, he is too narcissistic to back track as he feels it will make him look weak and than in itself is a major problem for the states.

Next step is Trump attacks Coumo on twitter and riles up his support base. Should be any hour now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Things looking pretty bleak now.

California, Texas and Arizona all smashing records today.

Texas hospitalisations are up 620 in the last 24 hours alone!

https://twitter.com/AnaCabrera/status/1278393569271824384

Peaking in April was similar to everyone else. Peaking AGAIN is horrible mismanagement by everyone involved, state and federal. Its not a second wave, but the first one still. Its like stopping your antibiotic after two days and letting the bugs persist, only now they're resistant

Here is the Lt governor of Texas with it's catastrophic numbers.

https://twitter.com/JasonSCampbell/status/1278155501570863111

The stupidity is so fcuking mind numbing. :mad:

Georgia reports nearly 3,000 new cases. Another record today for another state.

It's all falling apart as it was always going to with some of these states.

Georgia reports nearly 3,000 new cases. Another record today for another state.

It's all falling apart as it was always going to with some of these states.

The virus spread from china to Italy across Europe and into New York. The epicenter is no longer New York it has moved across America into states such as Georgia.

A look at worldmeter coronavirus shows they are in the phase of mass infections. The same phase Europe went through with Italy first.

Remember the news from hospitals in italy on the brink while we were only starting to see infections.

Same thing.

I stated it was due to BLM protests. I was wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

The difference is that Italy were caught on the hop early on. The US have had months to prepare and they've made a mess of it. The same with the UK to a lesser extent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Here is the Lt governor of Texas with it's catastrophic numbers.

https://twitter.com/JasonSCampbell/status/1278155501570863111

The stupidity is so fcuking mind numbing. :mad:

The mind fu*king boggles at this. How can people be so stupid

North Carolina reports record surge with nearly 2,000 new cases.

Really feels like a corner has been turned today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

The virus spread from china to Italy across Europe and into New York. The epicenter is no longer New York it has moved across America into states such as Georgia.

A look at worldmeter coronavirus shows they are in the phase of mass infections. The same phase Europe went through with Italy first.

Remember the news from hospitals in italy on the brink while we were only starting to see infections.

Same thing.

I stated it was due to BLM protests. I was wrong

Georgia have had it months now. Doesn't feel like the same thing.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/georgia/

Seems like they've missed a trick imo.

If the texas lad above is anything to go by its no wonder why.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 15,579 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

ShyMets wrote: »
    The mind fu*king boggles at this. How can people be so stupid

He isn't being stupid, he is playing to a section of the population that he relies on for support.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,579 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

That has always been the 'plan'.

Trump simply hopes this will all go away. It is too difficult, too complex, too daunting, for him to deal with.

He is basically throwing up his hands and hoping for a super weapon (vaccine) to save him and the country. Like a kid that hasn't studied praying for a snow day.

That, ladies and gentlemen, is what the POTUS and the US has been reduced to. A kid that hasn't studied hoping somebody, somewhere or something will dig them out of the hole they find themselves in.

Pennsylvania has now also reported a record rise in cases.

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    Georgia have had it months now. Doesn't feel like the same thing.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/georgia/

Seems like they've missed a trick imo.

If the texas lad above is anything to go by its no wonder why.

Did they have a surge before this?

This is the surge. Same as everywhere. Recheck the site.

That a not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,640 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

What are the new Penn numbers. I thought they were plateaued at 500 to 600 daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    What are the new Penn numbers. I thought they were plateaued at 500 to 600 daily.

636 today. Its not the highest number, but less than half of that which was in April.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    That has always been the 'plan'.

Trump simply hopes this will all go away. It is too difficult, too complex, too daunting, for him to deal with.

He is basically throwing up his hands and hoping for a super weapon (vaccine) to save him and the country. Like a kid that hasn't studied praying for a snow day.

That, ladies and gentlemen, is what the POTUS and the US has been reduced to. A kid that hasn't studied hoping somebody, somewhere or something will dig them out of the hole they find themselves in.

This is what I don't get. Trump doesn't have the expertise, he doesn't need to do a lot but let Fauci and Birx do their thing. To look competent all he has to do is listen to his advisors, let them come up with the solutions and sail the effective course that many other nations have sailed to flatten the curve. Trumps role should be to ensure the advice is implemented, keep governors in check, boost morale and unify the nation in these tough times

But instead of listening to advisors, I suspect some of his buddies got in his ear about reopening and the Trump International Accounts were probably not looking in great shape either. The man is utterly braindead. I'd say most people on this forum would have done a better job in all seriousness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,640 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    636 today. Its not the highest number, but less than half of that which was in April.

That's what I thought. Where's Kermit's rise in numbers though.

Advertisement