Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American response

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    That's what I thought. Where's Kermit's rise in numbers though.

Its the highest number seen since early June (June 12th was 686). 'Record rise' sounds more exciting though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Kayleigh on now. Saying Trump is putting all his eggs in finding a vaccine.

Let's hope they do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,640 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I think its the highest number seen since early June. 'Record rise' sounds more exciting though

684 on 29th June, 673 yesterday.

I've family there and was keeping an eye on their numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    What are the new Penn numbers. I thought they were plateaued at 500 to 600 daily.

Hmmm, must be a mistake, or wrong state. Saw it on Reuters wire.

Regardless today has been particularly bleak and it's hard to know what the exit plan is or if there is one because there does not seem to be any from the very top.

New measures need to be imposed on the problem states, ad hoc roll backs are not enough.

Did they have a surge before this?

This is the surge. Same as everywhere. Recheck the site.

Nah they should have been on top of this. Could have been avoided.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

republicans fleeing the sinking ship like the rats they are. i hope their constituents remember how long they blindly supported him.

After he's sorted all the ratings etc he needs to address this virus

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1278280574801784833

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    After he's sorted all the ratings etc he needs to address this virus

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1278280574801784833

Turns out those figures have been misrepresented just a little by Donald.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/tv-ratings-cable-news-has-record-setting-second-quarter-1301220

All 3 networks had record figures thanks to a busy few months

• Registered Users Posts: 12,204 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

With cases surging in multiple states maybe (hopefully) Trump will start doing the press conferences again, they were seriously entertaining. The "not these kind of models" gag got a laugh out of me tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

He said yesterday that wearing a mask made him look like the Lone Ranger. So basically, he's been putting it over his eyes, as expected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,970 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

He said yesterday that wearing a mask made him look like the Lone Ranger. So basically, he's been putting it over his eyes, as expected.

Handy for the next eclipse.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 18,619 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Are the protesters from both the 'liberate xyz state from lockdown' and BLM protesters getting any blame for any spike in infections?
    It is fairly obvious there has to be causal link. I suppose he will only blame BLM?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Eb7m4yfUYAIHIdo?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Registered Users Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Are the protesters from both the 'liberate xyz state from lockdown' and BLM protesters getting any blame for any spike in infections?
    It is fairly obvious there has to be causal link. I suppose he will only blame BLM?

The BLM protests are a disaster (large numbers of people congregating in the street, shouting, sometimes grappling with each other + the police etc does not seem at all smart during a pandemic).

The other lot of crazies over the ocean (i.e. virus is a hoax/a conspiracy to curtail my freedoms/"just the flu bro") are likely having far more effect as even if not actively protesting their ideology means they will try and continue life as normal and scorn any precautions on a political point of principle.

Not to mention the top office is currently held by one of their number + god knows how many other powerful political/government positions at all levels making key decisions about the US response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Prof Luke O'Neill was talking about the BLM marches this morning, it seems that due to a combination of circumstances - outside, masks/gloves, police lines keeping them often corralled that the spread from them has been much less than anticipated.

By contrast of course Trump held his meetings indoors, with largely no masks, no widespread use of hand sanitiser or gloves. While those who took to the beaches clearly hadn't a bit of safety first cop on at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,516 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Prof Luke O'Neill was talking about the BLM marches this morning, it seems that due to a combination of circumstances - outside, masks/gloves, police lines keeping them often corralled that the spread from them has been much less than anticipated.

By contrast of course Trump held his meetings indoors, with largely no masks, no widespread use of hand sanitiser or gloves. While those who took to the beaches clearly hadn't a bit of safety first cop on at all.

I see Trump has now come.out in favour of masks, said he had a black one that made him look like the Lone Ranger

Really?

For the young uns who don't know who the Lone Ranger was.

MW-IJ711_lonera_20200701191003_ZQ.jpg?uuid=fe9513f2-bbef-11ea-8fb3-9c8e992d421e

And they say Biden has dementia:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Different stages of infection.

The epicentre has long moved away from Europe.

Remember when Italy were completely swamped with cases but we in Ireland were only starting to see cases.

Sure they've been ignoring it for months. Is Trump finally coming around to it now though? He's starting to agree with masks I hear.

Sure they've been ignoring it for months. Is Trump finally coming around to it now though? He's starting to agree with masks I hear.

Most states had lockdowns, yeah some were stricter than others but how was that ignoring it?

Remember when Italy were completely swamped with cases but we in Ireland were only starting to see cases.

Mike Pence only last week claimed they had flattened the curve...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

I don't recall Ireland getting 3,500 cases in a single day which is what the equivalent to Arizona's number in that picture would be?

Also, Arizona's number of cases is already over double what Ireland's is - 12,000 per 1mn as opposed to 5,000 per 1mn here. These are not 'active' cases but total ones, so Arizona being in an earlier stage as you say should be far lower than us, not far higher. In fact it's higher than any European country's.

And if this is only an early stage as you say, then how bad are places like Arizona going to get, especially without a strong lockdown in place for the next several months as we did?

I don't recall Ireland getting 3,500 cases in a single day which is what the equivalent to Arizona's number in that picture would be?

Also, Arizona's number of cases is already over double what Ireland's is - 12,000 per 1mn as opposed to 5,000 per Mn here. These are not 'active' cases but total ones, so Arizona being I nan earlier stage as you say should be far lower than us, not far higher. In fact it's higher than any European country's.

And if this is only an early stage as you say, then how bad are places like Arizona going to get, especially without a strong lockdown in place for the next several months as we did?

Why are you comparing Arizona to Ireland?
    Ireland is an island off Europe. Arizona is a US state.
    It's not a valid comparison.

If they are in surge stage then it will only get worse

Most states had lockdowns, yeah some were stricter than others but how was that ignoring it?

Ah they should have taken it more seriously. Those figures are very bad for that population size in a country that has had it for months now.

Trump was never honest about it from day one with the people of America. And some of those governers would drive you mad listening to them.

Tbf a vaccine is probably the only thing getting us all out of this so hopefully they manage that.

Why are you comparing Arizona to Ireland?
    Ireland is an island off Europe. Arizona is a US state.
    It's not a valid comparison.

If they are in surge stage then it will only get worse

I am comparing Ireland to Arizona because you compared Ireland to Arizona:

I also compared Europe - which does not have a single country with a case rate as high as Arizona's - to Arizona as you had done the same.

You said "Remember when Italy were completely swamped with cases but we in Ireland were only starting to see cases." but the fact is nobody in Europe outside of Vatican City and San Marino (combined 34,000 population) ever got the number cases that Arizona has. And as you yourself said, Arizona is at a considerably earlier stage.

Is the comparison no longer convenient to you or something?

And Arizona is not an outlier - it barely makes the top 10 for covid cases per million in the entire US.

Ah they should have taken it more seriously. Those figures are very bad for that population size in a country that has had it for months now.

Trump was never honest about it from day one with the people of America. And some of those governers would drive you mad listening to them.

Tbf a vaccine is probably the only thing getting us all out of this so hopefully they manage that.

We did take it seriously in my state. We did flatten the curve. And now all that is going out the window. So all the lockdown did was delay the inevitible and cause financial hardship for so many people. If it had gone on longer the state would be bankrupt. Going back into lockdown would be catastrophic. We are trapped between a rock and a hard place.

The only places going well now are the places where it already ripped through the population, such as new york. So what was the point? If states didn't use the lockdown to prepare healthcare services for the surge that was sure to happen on reopening then what was it for?

We did take it seriously in my state. We did flatten the curve. And now all that is going out the window. So all the lockdown did was delay the inevitible and cause financial hardship for so many people. If it had gone on longer the state would be bankrupt. Going back into lockdown would be catastrophic. We are trapped between a rock and a hard place.

The only places going well now are the places where it already ripped through the population, such as new york. So what was the point? If states didn't use the lockdown to prepare healthcare services for the surge that was sure to happen on reopening then what was it for?

I didn't think the plan was to reopen and expect a surge? I can't 100 percent remember the task forces steps as it seems an age since I saw them. But it was very measured and focused on tackling clusters etc. Not an inevitable surge.

How do you explain countries where it never took off like Taiwan or Korea? Or places like Ireland (and numerous other European countries), where we have had less total cases per capita than Nevada (who have more than all bar Sweden, Belarus, Spain and a few micro nations) and where despite reopening for several weeks now have managed to keep cases below what would be about 15 a day in Nevada?

I am comparing Ireland to Arizona because you compared Ireland to Arizona:

I also compared Europe - which does not have a single country with a case rate as high as Arizona's - to Arizona as you had done the same.

You said "Remember when Italy were completely swamped with cases but we in Ireland were only starting to see cases." but the fact is nobody in Europe outside of Vatican City and San Marino (combined 34,000 population) ever got the number cases that Arizona has. And as you yourself said, Arizona is at a considerably earlier stage.

Is the comparison no longer convenient to you or something?

And Arizona is not an outlier - it barely makes the top 10 for covid cases per million in the entire US.

I used Italy and Ireland as an example of how the virus infection surge times differently in different areas.

New york had its surge long ago and is dropping off ever since. Arizona is 2300 miles from New York. The timeline isn't going to be the same.

If you look at the daily cases for Arizona you will see this is their surge period. Not a second wave

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/arizona/

Every country, state ,area etc goes through a surge period. That's why hospitals etc are taken over and readied. For the spike. This is Arizonas spike.

Again this isn't a second wave

• Advertisement

Here's a video on some reasons that may be causing the surge in Texas.

They had their first case back in March.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-53256821/why-texas-is-seeing-a-surge-in-coronavirus-cases

Advertisement