Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American response

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Very long piece on the decline of the US public health system, the influence of that on the poor US response and the situation in Texas.
    Decades of research shows that a robust national public-health system could save billions of dollars annually by reducing the burden of preventable illnesses and keeping the population healthier over all. But like most public-health departments across the country, Harris County’s was grossly underfunded.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/14/magazine/covid-19-public-health-texas.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭kyote00

His press conference today says different....he got all of the usual jibes in and a few new ones:

- NYC death toll was high because governors did a bad job
    - he sent them hospitals that they didn't use
    - everyone had ventilators
    - the china virus
    - he saved lives by banning travel
    - sanctuary cities/immigration is bad
    - illegal immigration brings in rapists.

- EU was setup to rip off America (he actually said this today)

I think he knows the game is up and is having his Fr Ted moment

MadYaker wrote: »
    This time around I don't think he will to be honest. Didn't you see him wearing a mask? Maybe he's changed his tune. They are in for a grim few weeks over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭threeball

And now Trump will be all over Twitter screaming about how they need to reopen blah blah blah.

Deaths don't matter to Trump, the economy is all that matters.

Trumps name will join Dick Cheney as the most self serving prick ever to enter the White house. Both were only ever interested in enriching themselves and creating the conditions that benefited the companies who in turn looked after them. Scumbags the two of them. Neither cared how many died so they could get rich either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

Trump Administration Strips C.D.C. of Control of Coronavirus Data - article in NY Times

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/07/14/us/politics/trump-cdc-coronavirus.amp.html

• Registered Users Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Trump Administration Strips C.D.C. of Control of Coronavirus Data - article in NY Times

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/07/14/us/politics/trump-cdc-coronavirus.amp.html

Expect to see deaths from Covid-19 fall dramatically while deaths caused by Hunter Biden rise sharply.

• Advertisement

[/I]
    Penn wrote: »
    Expect to see deaths from Covid-19 fall dramatically while deaths caused by Hunter Biden rise sharply.

He might even get his own disease named after him.
    - What did your father die of?
    - Hunter Bidens disease

• Registered Users Posts: 23,160 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Such a stupid, stupid, stupid country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭Call me Al

https://twitter.com/charlesornstein/status/1283754463086481410?s=20

I'm beyond being appalled at this stage.
    They failed to handle the pandemic properly, now its running out of their control they choose to remove the figures from public scrutiny so they can hide just how bad.
    A failed administration with a big dollop of censorship added for good measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,579 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Can you imagine if China, or Russia or ANother country carried on like the that?

Openly (if that is the right term) hiding the facts from the public, saying that only the President and his supporters really know anything and anyone with a different opinion (well facts) are anti-American.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

We are getting there, a president that is above the law, censorship of inconvenient public health data, all we need now is fixing an election, then maybe we can say it

• Advertisement

J. Marston wrote: »

The stupidity in that country is mind-numbing.
    I am kind of shocked at the levels of denseness seen over the course of the pandemic, to be honest. Is it because we are living in an era where every empty vessel has a social media soapbox and they have nothing better to do or is their education system declining? (I know less money has been given to education over the past few decades.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

The stupidity in that country is mind-numbing.
    I am kind of shocked at the levels of denseness seen over the course of the pandemic, to be honest. Is it because we are living in an era where every empty vessel has a social media soapbox and they have nothing better to do or is their education system declining? (I know less money has been given to education over the past few decades.)

I think you are correct on both counts. Also the culture of attaining the maximum level of education that one is capable of achieving that I felt where I grew up in Ireland, doesn't seem to be as common here. In America there seems to be a little less hunger than the millions of foreign workers they hire. That might also be true of the effort they put into being self critical.

If I go into a hedge fund or a hospital the majority are either first or second generation immigrants.

Having said all that I've met some amazing people too. I either meet extremely smart people or people with zero self awareness. Do you think that is different in Ireland?

I either meet extremely smart people or people with zero self awareness. Do you think that is different in Ireland?

Yes it’s the same anywhere but the levels on the lower end seem to be really low in the US - just from my observation anyway.
    (It goes without saying there are smart Americans who are appalled by what’s happening and embarrassed by having an imbecile run the country.)

It could be the effects of the dumbing down of society in general though.
    Ireland seems a different kettle of fish - when Gemma O’Doherty pulled her ‘unconstitutional‘ stunt, she was largely vilified by the public, whereas that kind of behaviour is almost celebrated in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Donnie's disciples disappeared from this thread fairly sharpish then frown.png

• Registered Users Posts: 21,555 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

https://twitter.com/IngrahamAngle/status/1284072755424616449

This is the lady who told Lebron James to 'shut up and dribble for speaking about BLM but then stood up for Drew Brees right to speak about the American Flag.

The hashtag 'Toronto is in Canada' is now trending in the US....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,204 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

My brother will be shocked to hear he actually emigrated to America.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭eldamo

This is the lady who told Lebron James to take a knee for speaking about BLM but then stood up for Drew Brees right to speak about the American Flag.

Seth Myers had a clip of her on a closer look the other day.

Viruses are a fact of life, you just have to get used to it was her take.

She may sadly be right seeing as what a hames trump has made of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,330 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

This is the lady who told Lebron James to take a knee for speaking about BLM but then stood up for Drew Brees right to speak about the American Flag.

She told LeBron to "shut up and dribble"

I love the Carbon Monoxide angle, as it's usually from the exact same line of thought as "masks aren't effective the virus is too small it just goes right through" etc

Carbon Dioxide (even larger) is 3.34e−8 cm in diameter, whereas Covid-19 is 1.25e-5 cm, making the virus particle 374x larger than CO2, and significantly larger than that of CO.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,436 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

They are doomed, so so doomed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Gintonious wrote: »
    They are doomed, so so doomed.

Yeah, I think this pandemic won't work out so well for them.

Their smugness lol.. while the rest of the world just rolls their eyes at the clear lack of basic intelligence.

I'm guessing none of them passed basic science class in school.

KAC: “that’s a personal decision” - whether Trump has his son Bannon return to classes in the Fall

https://www.mediaite.com/news/kellyanne-conway-wont-say-if-trump-will-be-sending-barron-back-to-school-thats-a-personal-decision/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,579 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Call me Al wrote: »
    Yeah, I think this pandemic won't work out so well for them.

Their smugness lol.. while the rest of the world just rolls their eyes at the clear lack of basic intelligence.

I'm guessing none of them passed basic science class in school.

It has nothing to do with intelligence. These people, well some of them at least, are not stupid.

It is just that they have allowed they logic and reason to be overtaken by an adherence to a particular ideology. We have the same here in terms of peoples support for particular politicans or football teams. Despite the clear evidence in front of them, and the fact they had that evidence been in relation to a different team to which they would have used reason and logic, for their 'team' all notions of being unbiased are tossed aside.

So they convince themselves that masks are not needed because to admit that they are are needed is to admit that Trump is failing. To accept the problem is real, and that America is failing completely to deal with it is to acknowledge that the US is not as powerful as they want to think. It is why 9/11 had such a bigger impact on the psyche of the US compared to the 7/7 bombings. It is why they never undertake real studies into gun violence, as to do so would throw up some uncomfortable truths about themselves and their country.

None of these anti-masks people were out campaigning for doctors or dentists or whatever to be set free from the tyranny of masks. I haven't seen them out demanding the end to scanning at the airport, those whole body scans are pretty invasive in terms of freedom.

If it was just intelligence or lack of knowledge then at least at concerted campaign could be used to inform. But these people don't want to be informed.

T

• Registered Users Posts: 10,640 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Leroy42 wrote: »
    It has nothing to do with intelligence. These people, well some of them at least, are not stupid.
    But these people don't want to be informed.

T

I'm sorry but that's the height of stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,684 ✭✭✭✭briany

Just having a look at Florida's numbers, there - since the end of June, they've been having some days where they were reporting around 10,000 new cases a day. They must have a better handle on treating the disease, though, as the death toll is not tracking with that huge rise in the number of infected (allowing for the time lag between infection and becoming badly ill). I'm seeing stories of Florida hospitals being at capacity, but it doesn't have the same feel as when NYC was worst stricken and their medical infrastructure appearing to virtually collapse under the pressure the virus exerted. What's the projection for that state, overall?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    I'm sorry but that's the height of stupidity.

It's not that they don't comprehend the fact of Covid 19 (for the most part) it's simply that they don't expect to be effected by it because they're Americans. It's uber exceptionalism and it's a frame of mind, a way of seeing their place in the world that's going to kill 200,000 by election day and 350-400k by next Spring unless something changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,948 ✭✭✭Christy42

briany wrote: »
    Just having a look at Florida's numbers, there - since the end of June, they've been having some days where they were reporting around 10,000 new cases a day. They must have a better handle on treating the disease, though, as the death toll is not tracking with that huge rise in the number of infected (allowing for the time lag between infection and becoming badly ill). I'm seeing stories of Florida hospitals being at capacity, but it doesn't have the same feel as when NYC was worst stricken and their medical infrastructure appearing to virtually collapse under the pressure the virus exerted. What's the projection for that state, overall?

They have had their numbers pretty heavily questioned and I believe are a large part of the mass of "pneumonia" deaths that has randomly hit the US at the same time as Covid.

I would wait to see some info on the excess deaths before I believe the Florida officials.

I said back in April that they'd be at 170,000 dead by August and 250,000 by the end of the year and it was scoffed at by the usual Trump supporters and closet Trump supporters but here we are, 140k dead and the death rate starting to rocket again.

Its hard to fathom the level of stupidity and apathy on display from the top down to the idiots pulling guns on people in shops who ask them to put on a mask. An utter disaster of a country.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,684 ✭✭✭✭briany

It's not that they don't comprehend the fact of Covid 19 (for the most part) it's simply that they don't expect to be effected by it because they're Americans. It's uber exceptionalism and it's a frame of mind, a way of seeing their place in the world that's going to kill 200,000 by election day and 350-400k by next Spring unless something changes.

"So what if 500,000 people die? Fake news gives me a hard time because 500,000 people die. Think of all the people who died while Clinton and Obama were in office. Were some of those conditions preventable? Treatable? Maybe. Was it more people dead? Probably.

And even if we do get to 500,000 dead, and I'm dubious about how they count those figures - guess what? That's a tiny proportion of our population. It's not even one percent. So that means my policies have saved over 99 percent of the population. Why isn't *that* being reported by fake news CNN?"

The above words are something I wouldn't put it past Trump to say. Except that bit of maths, which he'd likely get wrong.

• Advertisement

briany wrote: »
    "So what if 500,000 people die? Fake news gives me a hard time because 500,000 people die. Think of all the people who died while Clinton and Obama were in office. Were some of those conditions preventable? Treatable? Maybe. Was it more people dead? Probably.

And even if we do get to 500,000 dead, and I'm dubious about how they count those figures - guess what? That's a tiny proportion of our population. It's not even one percent. So that means my policies have saved over 99 percent of the population. Why isn't *that* being reported by fake news CNN?"

The above words are something I wouldn't put it past Trump to say. Except that bit of maths, which he'd likely get wrong.

I would. Proportion? Dubious? You give him too much credit his vocabulary is no that much bigly

Advertisement