Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American response

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭threeball

• Registered Users Posts: 82,330 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Interest piece from a NC shopkeeper.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/07/18/covid-pandemic-store-clerk-north-carolina/

She’s tried to be very gentle with her conservative area public and it just escalated to the point where she was being screamed at up in her face. Now she’s taken to having a doorbell installed to screen all customers. These people have seen mask mandates as a challenge, something to go out and deliberately get belligerent over.

The Sheriff is one of those who said he wouldn’t enforce the statewide mandate, but his own department office is closed to the public due to Covid

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

trump came out horrible in this interview. as well as looking overweight and sweating like a pig.

it does seem like even fox is starting to turn on him.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/transcript-fox-news-sunday-interview-with-president-trump

• Registered Users Posts: 12,204 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Ron DeSantis seems determined to open the schools in florida.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭Penn

froog wrote: »
    trump came out horrible in this interview. as well as looking overweight and sweating like a pig.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/transcript-fox-news-sunday-interview-with-president-trump

One of the most troubling parts was when he was challenged on the mortality rate, and it turned out the numbers he was being given comparing them to other countries didn't have some of the other countries on it. Which goes to show the issue isn't just Trump, but also his adoring legion of complete f*ckwits working for him feeding him incorrect information which he then bases his decisions off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,579 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Penn wrote: »
    One of the most troubling parts was when he was challenged on the mortality rate, and it turned out the numbers he was being given comparing them to other countries didn't have some of the other countries on it. Which goes to show the issue isn't just Trump, but also his adoring legion of complete f*ckwits working for him feeding him incorrect information which he then bases his decisions off.

I think you are being overly generous to Trump. The question was about the mortality rate, which goes against his arguments about too much testing, but he lied, the data showed he was lying but he doesn’t even know what the charts actually mean. Did you see him trying to work out what he was looking at, probably the 1st he ever seen it.

He doesn’t care. He is bored of it, thought he would be out at rallies and “punching back” at this stage but instead he is asked to actually do his job. He hates it.

Emergency pool testing to be implemented:

https://gizmodo.com/fda-grants-emergency-use-authorization-for-covid-19-poo-1844435502

How this works: up to 4 patient samples are pooled to 1 test kit, which tells you that at least 1 patient is positive if you get a positive test. Then, protocol is intended to be all 4 will he individually retested. This is to save testing supplies in the long run because while you use 5 for 4 if there is a positive, 1 is used for 4 if all 4 are negative. Wait times for results is not expected to speed up though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

briany wrote: »
    Just having a look at Florida's numbers, there - since the end of June, they've been having some days where they were reporting around 10,000 new cases a day. They must have a better handle on treating the disease, though, as the death toll is not tracking with that huge rise in the number of infected (allowing for the time lag between infection and becoming badly ill). I'm seeing stories of Florida hospitals being at capacity, but it doesn't have the same feel as when NYC was worst stricken and their medical infrastructure appearing to virtually collapse under the pressure the virus exerted. What's the projection for that state, overall?

It seems to be the same here in Texas. Beds are at 90% utilisation, but we're running at about half the capacity of ventilators. It's a matter of who is getting infected, not the numbers. It's the folks in the 20s and 30s now, who are far more likely to recover on their own.

Further, believe it or not, the curve has been flattened. The objective is to keep infections within the capacity of the healthcare system to cover it. Plus, the hospitals have had a couple of months to spin up for preparation. When NYC alone ran over a month with daily positives in excess of 2,000, and several weeks in excess of 4,000/day, out of nowhere, it seemed that the healthcare system would be unable to cope. It is, however, relative. I'm in one of the recent hot spots, I think we were #2 in the country after Miami a short while ago, but we're still around 30,000 cases total compared to NYC's quarter million, and we're getting 5-600 hundred a day on average. The trend here is not downwards, which is a problem. But it's not shooting up either, which you would expect for a pandemic which is out of control.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,684 ✭✭✭✭briany

It seems to be the same here in Texas. Beds are at 90% utilisation, but we're running at about half the capacity of ventilators. It's a matter of who is getting infected, not the numbers. It's the folks in the 20s and 30s now, who are far more likely to recover on their own.

Further, believe it or not, the curve has been flattened. The objective is to keep infections within the capacity of the healthcare system to cover it. Plus, the hospitals have had a couple of months to spin up for preparation. When NYC alone ran over a month with daily positives in excess of 2,000, and several weeks in excess of 4,000/day, out of nowhere, it seemed that the healthcare system would be unable to cope. It is, however, relative. I'm in one of the recent hot spots, I think we were #2 in the country after Miami a short while ago, but we're still around 30,000 cases total compared to NYC's quarter million, and we're getting 5-600 hundred a day on average. The trend here is not downwards, which is a problem. But it's not shooting up either, which you would expect for a pandemic which is out of control.

It's obviously good if the numbers in Texas are not increasing exponentially, but it must be galling to those who called for a responsible approach to the virus if the spike in cases gets spun as an inevitability which was dealt with rather than a result of willful ignorance and arrogance among a certain sector of the population and a certain group of political leaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,640 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

You can't claim the curve has been flattened in Texas based on a couple of days. It's only just levelled after a 7 day average peak on 19th July. I hope it has levelled but it's too early to claim that. Even if levelled, it's at a very high rate.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

There's a difference between 'flattened' and 'peaked'. I have no idea if it's peaked, but it has certainly been flattened as evidenced by the fact that, what, five months in, we still have not reached capacity. Even if the curve does still eventually peak at above capacity, its rate of increase is far lower than what we had been looking at a few months ago and thus is inherently less alarming.

There's a difference between 'flattened' and 'peaked'. I have no idea if it's peaked, but it has certainly been flattened as evidenced by the fact that, what, five months in, we still have not reached capacity. Even if the curve does still eventually peak at above capacity, its rate of increase is far lower than what we had been looking at a few months ago and thus is inherently less alarming.

The alarming thing is that month's in this, where most countries have managed to massively reduce the deaths, the US is still experiencing 1st phase growth.

This is in the richest country in the world, with amongst the longest lead time.

And on the age, there are starting to be reports and research of longer term effects of the virus on those that do recover. This line, spun by Trump, that one either dies or makes a complete recovery, is dangerous assumption.

The US is playing Russian roulette with peoples health.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

5 months while technically correct, isn't really the case though is it? Your proper escalation in cases only started 5-6 weeks ago, in June. I'm not sure where you got the 'its increase is now far lower than what we had been looking at a few months ago' bit from?

Despite all the advantages of preparation time and ability to understand the virus, resources to tackle it with, and low population density, Texas is now at 365,000 cases and rising by 8,000+ a day. It's currently 6pm there, and you're on 7,688 already today. On a per capita basis that would be like Ireland having 72,000 cases after a few weeks of it really kicking off in late March and adding 1,200+ per day. Instead, at that point we were adding about 100-150 and not in July are on a total of 25,800. That is an astonishing failure that gets worse by the day, no matter how you want to cut it.

According to the Texas Tribune, you're also quickly running out of beds and ventilators - https://www.texastribune.org/2020/07/14/texas-hospitals-coronavirus/

---

For what it's worth, some of my family work in medicine and we had a get together the other day. I hadn't known but two vaccines are apparently looking very promising - one in the US, but even moreso one from the UK (Cambridge, if I recall). At this point, that might be the US' only hope because many states have completely lost the battle to keep it under control.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭dogbert27

froog wrote: »

Europe don't test :rolleyes:

Their condescending attitude is part of the problem

Their condescending attitude is part of the problem

Yeah, because if they just took the time to explain it then I'm sure people would be all ready to wear masks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Polar101

How reliable are the US testing numbers if hospitals are now bypassing the CDC in reporting?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Just seen this Trump comment on Twitter. Shocking.

The mentality behind it. He doesnt want himself or people he considers to be acceptable(suburbanites) to be "bothered" by the poor.

How has he lasted so long?
    https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1288509568578777088?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Just seen this Trump comment on Twitter. Shocking.

The mentality behind it. He doesnt want himself or people he considers to be acceptable(suburbanites) to be "bothered" by the poor.

How has he lasted so long?
    https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1288509568578777088?s=19

Possibly the wrong thread.

• Advertisement

Over 150,000 are now dead. And little signs of it coming to an end any time soon. In fact the numbers seem to be increasing the last few days.

Remember back in April when 200k was the upper most limit? What a complete and total disaster.

5% of the worlds population and 20% of the deaths. In the most advanced country in the world!

9/11 times 50 at this point and Trump still has no idea what to do or how to react.

He has tried laughing it off, tired pretending he knew better, tried thinking that economics would beat it, tried lashing out at everyone and anyone that disagreed with him, tried conspiracy theories, tried mumbo medicine, tried acting mroe serious.

But the fact is that this is a complete an obsolute disaster for the US. Obviously moreso for the people directly effected, but the US is a laughing stock across the world.

Former Presidential candidate Herman Cain has passed away from Covid. He had Cancer in the past so his immunity was compromised.

He attended the rally in Tulsa in June and was well before it but got sick soon after.

Trump has not commented on it. Instead he tweeted this an hour ago
    https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1288843391065882629?s=19

Despite Tump's tweet the other week showing him off with a mask and how patriotic it is, and reading off a script last week to that effect, he still refuses to wear a mask generally. He flew in for an oil industry photo op in Texas without masking up.

https://gizmodo.com/president-trump-ditches-mask-as-u-s-death-toll-surpass-1844555667

rytwgrnb3xluixbqzz4j.jpg

Mask usage by the attendees was commensurately spotty

x7i44nxlzxrejs90yzwy.jpg

We will hear within 2 weeks how many of these photo op attendees test positive...

Former Presidential candidate Herman Cain has passed away from Covid. He had Cancer in the past so his immunity was compromised.

He attended the rally in Tulsa in June and was well before it but got sick soon after.

Trump has not commented on it. Instead he tweeted this an hour ago
    https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1288843391065882629?s=19

Hes posted his condolences now
    https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1288907916020461569?s=19

He timed this for minutes after John Lewis' funeral ended for maximum **** stirring.

He surprised us all with a mask today - third time in public. It was for a visit to an American Red Cross facility so yeah it would have been especially bad of him to forgo it there.

Y2WN5EWSUII6VATLZQ4U3ASOGU.jpg&w=916

He still needed to be positively-reinforced like a child about it:

Surgeon General Jerome M. Adams also gave Trump a message from supporters he said he met with recently in Miami.

“I was in Trump country,” Adams said. “They told me to deliver you a message, Mr. President. They told me to tell you [that] you look badass in a face mask. I promised them I would tell you that."

“Miami,” Adams added, “I told the president he looks badass in a face mask.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/07/30/coronavirus-covid-live-updates-us/?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_virus-luf-1236am%3Aprime-time%2Fpromo#link-RSDN6TGFARESHOCUZAN6BXZNBE

"I hope my kids get Covid because I don't want them wearing a mask and looking like a Muslim" ... "I will not put a mask on for anyone but Jesus" "If I could choose between licking the wall and getting Covid over wearing a mask... I'd probably be okay"

https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout/comments/i0rbqt/i_hope_my_kids_get_covid_because_i_dont_want_them/

spchlss.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Overheal wrote: »
    He timed this for minutes after John Lewis' funeral ended for maximum **** stirring.

He surprised us all with a mask today - third time in public. It was for a visit to an American Red Cross facility so yeah it would have been especially bad of him to forgo it there.

Y2WN5EWSUII6VATLZQ4U3ASOGU.jpg&w=916

He still needed to be positively-reinforced like a child about it:

Surgeon General Jerome M. Adams also gave Trump a message from supporters he said he met with recently in Miami.

“I was in Trump country,” Adams said. “They told me to deliver you a message, Mr. President. They told me to tell you [that] you look badass in a face mask. I promised them I would tell you that."

“Miami,” Adams added, “I told the president he looks badass in a face mask.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/07/30/coronavirus-covid-live-updates-us/?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_virus-luf-1236am%3Aprime-time%2Fpromo#link-RSDN6TGFARESHOCUZAN6BXZNBE

He needs a mask that covers all his chins

Have something soft nearby to occasionally smack yourself in the forehead with

“We’ve done 55, it’ll be close to 60 million tests,” Trump said. “And there are those that say you can test too much. You do know that.”

“Who says that?” Swan asked.

“Read the manuals, read the books,” Trump shot back.

“Manuals? what manuals?” Swan asked. “What books?”
    “We’re testing so much because we had the ability to test because we came up with testing,” Trump said. “Jonathan, we didn’t even have a test. when I took over, we didn’t even have a test. Now, in all fairness—”

“Why would you have a test?” Swan chimed in. “The virus didn’t exist.”

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/who-says-that-a-stunned-jonathan-swan-grills-trump-in-heated-back-and-forth-over-covid-19-testing/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,344 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Overheal wrote: »

Parts remind me of Ali-G interviews

Other parts resemble something from Brass Eye

People should view the masterful interview answers in their entirety. It even includes previously unknown facts about history and geography.
    Russia used to be a thing called the Soviet Union, because of Afghanistan they went bankrupt, they became Russia, just so you do understand. ok?

• Advertisement

Oh good kids are getting back to school already in Georgia. Nothing to worry about...

sp44ts8rize51.jpg

Advertisement