Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Racisim against Asian people on the rise

Options
  • 04-04-2020 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_incidents_of_xenophobia_and_racism_related_to_the_2019%E2%80%9320_coronavirus_pandemic

Since it is so prevalent on this board I want people to keep an eye on what the normalizing of hate and xenophobia causes. A friend of mine was teaching English in Cork and a few years ago a bunch of his Korean students were beaten up and put in hospital, I can only imagine how this situation is going to get worse now, judging by what is considered normal and acceptable hateful rhetoric.

Please think twice before you spread racist jokes because it sends a message that it is ok to think of other human beings differently. It's quite clear the virus doesn't see us as different and we all need to stick together in this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Yeah, there seems to be a bit of hate going around alright.
    **** off. What happened to your positivity? Go stick your dick in yourself

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Dam there go’s my one hung low joke

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Yeah, there seems to be a bit of hate going around alright.

This was in response to a racist post, which I will not repeat as it should have been deleted by now. I used the exact same words as the poster but I got a warning and the poster did not.

Most of the people I know are not from Ireland. 3 years ago someone i know was stabbed outside a pub for having dark skin.
    2 years ago one was pulled off his motorbike and his arm was broken, again, for having dark skin. I don't see how me getting angry at a racist and using their words against them compares to a racist spreading racist propaganda.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Its sad to see. Asian people are the nicest people on the planet. Unfortunately the propaganda is in overdrive and although I have issues with the China govt I would never blame a Chinese individual for what's happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Have noticed zero racism on here tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Asia is a big place, are we talking Israel, Turkey or Pakistan?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

This was in response to a racist post, which I will not repeat as it should have been deleted by now. I used the exact same words as the poster but I got a warning and the poster did not.

Most of the people I know are not from Ireland. 3 years ago someone i know was stabbed outside a pub for having dark skin.
    2 years ago one was pulled off his motorbike and his arm was broken, again, for having dark skin. I don't see how me getting angry at a racist and using their words against them compares to a racist spreading racist propaganda.

How do you know it was for having dark skin?

When a "dark-skinned" person commits a crime against a light skinned person, are you equally as offended ?

Its sad to see. Asian people are the nicest people on the planet. Unfortunately the propaganda is in overdrive and although I have issues with the China govt I would never blame a Chinese individual for what's happened.

Right! The people who have the biggest issues with the Chinese government are almost all Chinese themselves, or not Chinese but considered to be so by the government.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Talk about casting a wide net, you know there’s lots of stories of white teenagers getting raped to play devils advocate here, seems like you’re digging to me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

biko wrote: »
    Asia is a big place, are we talking Israel, Turkey or Pakistan?

I think we are talking about Chinese specifically

• Advertisement

How do you know it was for having dark skin?

When a "dark-skinned" person commits a crime against a light skinned person, are you equally as offended ?

When people shout racial slurs while attacking you you assume there is a causal relationship.

I think we are talking about Chinese specifically

The rise in racial incidents have been against east-Asian people especially.

This place is literally more toxic than 4chan. I never really strayed out of the psychology section before all this. I am so sorry I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭LeBash

I see plenty of Asian people around my area, all super nice, all pleasant etc and I hope every decent person would stand up for them if any racist behaviour was happening.

This anti-China thing that's gathered a little legs on boards is disgusting. The average Chinese person didnt cause anything, didnt lie, etc, etc. They're good hard working people.

If someone feels they have a problem, it's not with the people you'll meet on the street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

If someone from a different race has a crime committed against them, why is it always because of their race?
    There's inter racial crime, sure, but there's also intra racial crime too.
    Why is it any different?
    If I'm a victim of crime could I say it's because I'm balding?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Thread is not appropriate here

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement