Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

coaching query

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭Ceepo

KSU wrote: »
    The other side of that coin is it's mad to think that athletes value coaches so little they get little to no reward for all the time and hard work they put in.

(this is not an endorsement of paid coaching by the way more just the under valuation of good coaching in clubs, and it is a bit rarer than you think to find truly good coaches simply because so many club coaches stretched well beyond the point that allows effective coaching)

Some people dont see value, unless they're paying for it

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

Ceepo wrote: »
    A case of risk v's reward, and sometimes it worth a risk. As long as you're going into eye's wide open then it might be a good thing. Depends on your mind set.

I wouldn't be the best person with an injury anyway!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

Some people dont see value, unless they're paying for it

What's the going rate these days??

Seannew1 wrote: »
    What's the going rate these days??

I've no idea what others charge per week or month, But what I charge wouldn't buy a coffee and a scone a week ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

But what I charge wouldn't buy a coffee and a scone a week ;):D

You mean you can have either or?

Charlatan!! :P

• Advertisement

KSU wrote: »
    You mean you can have either or?

Charlatan!! :P
    Cant have a scone anymore i'm afraid, so its only a coffee for me,
    Keep in mind I live "down the country" so coffee is probably cheaper the you guy's in the "big shmoke" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

I can remember hearing what gh gets and thinking WHAT THE ****

Coaches of professionals would be shocked if they knew what they're missing out on!

Nice life to live no doubt, fair play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

A "coach" like this advised me to a 2 x 2Mile session 4 days after running a marathon 4 years ago. Ya know what I got injured badly and it cost me a fortune.

I was a bit out of shape and I ran a local marathon on the Sunday and he knew that I had done so. This is the resultant #$%^&* plan I got.
    There is not a single real coach that would advise this sort of thing for someone at my level 1-2 weeks after a marathon.

Lets take all "easy" runs to be run at 7:20 per mile or slower

Wed 6 miles easy
    Thurs 2 x 2 miles in 12:00 with a half mile recovery in 2:20mins.
    Fri Easy 7 miles easy
    Sat Long run 12 miles .10 @ 7:00 last 3miles @ 6:55
    Sun Easy 8 miles

Mon Easy 8 miles followed by 6 x 20 sec uphill sprints @ 3/4 effort ,jog back down recovery
    Tues Free
    Wed 5 x 1mile @6:05 with 2:25 min recovery (covering 400meters jog ,in 2:25)
    Thurs 8 miles easy
    Friday Tempo 7 miles @ 6:35 pace
    Sat Long Run 13 miles 10 @ 6:58 pace last 3 @ 6:52
    Sun Easy 8 miles

Mon Easy 8 miles
    Tues 3 x 2 miles in 11:55 (5:58 pace) with half mile float recovery in 4:00mins between each 2 mile rep.
    Wed Free
    Thur Easy 11 miles
    Friday Tempo 7.5 miles first 5 @6:32 pace last 2.5@ 6:25
    Sat Easy 10 miles
    Sunday Long Run 13.5 miles 7 @ 6:55 last 6.5 @ 6:50

Mon 9 miles easy
    Tues Easy 6 mile (1min recovery) 4 x 2 mins @ 5k race effort with 90 sec jog recovery
    Wed Free
    Thurs Tempo 8. miles @ 6:28 pace
    Fri Easy 7 miles
    Sat Long run 14 miles 10 @ 6:55 pace last 4 @6:50
    Sun Easy 11miles

Mon 9 miles easy
    Tues 3 x 3 miles @ (18:10 mins ) @6:03 pace with 1/2 mile jog recovery ( cover half mile recovery in under 4:10mins) (8:20mins pace recovery)
    Wed 8 miles easy
    Thurs Free
    Fri Tempo 9 miles 5 @6:35 last 4 @ 6:25 pace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I have to say my most recent experience with coaching has been very positive, in particular it was very beneficial when I picked up an annoying injury and in the recent Covid situation we all find ourselves in.

The plan I suppose you could call a proven, repeatable model, but your paces and efforts are all built around a series of lap tests, which take place every 16 weeks. Interspersed throughout the training is a series of tests which give you and coach feedback on progress and the plan can be adjusted from there.

The interaction, feedback, responsiveness and feeling like I'm in a collaborative arrangement has been well above my expectation.
    Also there is a nice balance between personal interaction and coaching group interaction, which even though I've only met a handful of the group there's a real sense of belonging.

Advertisement