Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you following the Lockdown rules?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

99nsr125 wrote: »
    Some people resist
    Because they question
    Because freedom is something they feel more.

We need these people, they protect us from tyranny.

Ireland has few actually resisting, look at Australia or Sweden in comparison.

That in itself may demonstrate why we remained British subjects for so long.

Indeed. It's essential we debate all aspects of this particularly the hardships extended lock-downs are going to bring to so many parts of society.y Anything less is dishonest delusion.
    I don't think for example Gardai checking peoples car boots for groceries is necessary and in a healthy democracy these concerns can't be shut down or dismissed out of hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,652 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

frillyleaf wrote: »
    Maybe they don’t think anything will happen to them?

I think thats the long and short of it for some people. Sure look at the UK yesterday, they had their worst day yet and almost hit 1,000 deaths in a single 24 hour period and are now on course to outstrip Italy and Spain as the most effected nation in Europe. Thats frightening as hell yet some of the population couldnt care less and were widely flouting the rules over the weekend. Police had calls to over 600 house parties in Manchester alone.

We have the same cohort of people here but I dont think it is anywhere near the levels of what is going on the UK. By and large people here are following the rules and for those who arent the Gardai are more visible now than they have ever been.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,510 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Take for instance we aren’t visiting people and we haven’t had visitors.
    We haven’t ventured to Dunnes or the butchers we liked because they aren’t nearby.
    We used go to the shops a few times a week before we used get a few top up shops but now we try and do it all on one day.
    However we haven’t being able to get everything in one shop so far. Things have either being out of stock or dates/quality has being poor. We’ve even over paid for some thing but this isn’t an option for everybody.
    We still are eating our dinners,suppers, etc as we would have before we’re don’t really plan to live off tins of beans and bags of pasta.
    An example would be I was in SuperValu and somebody wanted a box of frozen fish for Good Friday. The only option was fish from the fish counter which was over €10 and this simply wouldn’t be an option for some.
    I know some people and they won’t even venture into there garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

We're following the guidelines surely. Shopping in a local small shop and just going for a daily walk 2km up the road and back. No visitors whatsoever. What's really depressing us is not seeing our five grandchildren (8 years to 5 weeks old) . It's breaking our hearts but if we can help prevent spreading the virus then we just have to do our bit.

Some people resist
    Because they question

People feel free more, I'm perfectly free as I'm not locked up and neither is anyone else in Ireland, yeah I'd like to see my dad but I'm not a dick so wouldn't endanger someone else by my actions.

Sweden have doctors petitioning their government to change their position.

Australia has different states implementing different measures along with the fact that they were British subjects until 1984.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,651 ✭✭✭standardg60

Was I the only one watching the news yesterday of the couple celebrating their anniversary being visited by members of their family thinking Wtf? And RTE thought it was ok to make a feature of it when they've been bleating on and on about non-essential travel?

Op if there's one good thing to come out of all this it's that people will be able to see who is actually only ever out for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Some people resist
    Because they question

To compare the current restrictions to tyranny is an insult to the millions of people throughout the world that do actually live under tyranny.

They would love your life right now.

joe40 wrote: »
    To compare the current restrictions to tyranny is an insult to the millions of people throughout the world that do actually live under tyranny.

Beautifully put.

Was I the only one watching the news yesterday of the couple celebrating their anniversary being visited by members of their family thinking Wtf? And RTE thought it was ok to make a feature of it when they've been bleating on and on about non-essential travel?

Op if there's one good thing to come out of all this it's that people will be able to see who is actually only ever out for themselves.

I don't think a son, a daughter and a granddaughter, who live within 2km, leaving gifts at the door and stepping well back while the 92 year olds came no further than their door, is unreasonable when they were celebrating their 65th wedding anniversary. Five neighbours stood at their own garden walls across the road to sing to them. No breach of restrictions there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

We've followed the guidelines completely in my house. All of us are cocooning for various reasons and haven't been out once since they put the guideline in place. It's awkward but we're surviving. It really annoys me to see people who can actually go out taking the p***

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,211 ✭✭✭pgj2015

how dare they go visit their 94 year old relatives and talk to them from 2 metres away:rolleyes:

they might have lived only down the road from them btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭OEP

I go further than 2km for my run, I probably go 3/4km radius away. I am always distant from people, the chance of catching or spreading in this circumstance is slim to none so I don't see an issue. Besides that I am compliant with the rules

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭JoChervil

Some people resist
    Because they question

I think you don't recognise the real enemy here. We are under a tyranny of virus and should solidarily act together to fight it. Freedom is having a choice. And you still have it. You can choose, if you want to support elderly and health workers or demonstrate your wrongly understood freedom. Really strong mature people comply. Kids rebel without a cause, just because.

And if you fight with any tyranny, you are a hero, if you risk your own life. What is not a case here. These people are risking lives of others...

No, we don't need such people. Will theirs actions improve the situation of others or the whole country? No they can only make things worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭lozenges

Same. People that I would have considered to be intelligent and well educated are suggesting going for walks (live in different household) as long as we stay 2m apart. Neighbours also let their 3 toddlers (from 3 different houses) play together all afternoon on Saturday while chatting to each other on the lawn. Nice people and yeah it must be insanely difficult keeping small kids entertained but it basically puts all the measures they've engaged in so far to waste.

Basically I think people will engage in all sorts of mental gymnastics to justify their actions or deliberately misunderstand guidance which is objectively extremely clear.

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    I don't think a son, a daughter and a granddaughter, who live within 2km, leaving gifts at the door and stepping well back while the 92 year olds came no further than their door, is unreasonable when they were celebrating their 65th wedding anniversary. Five neighbours stood at their own garden walls across the road to sing to them. No breach of restrictions there.

You must know more about their circumstances than me.

Not sure about neighbours standing at garden walls though, I saw a group of people in close proximity applauding. Not to mention several takes by the clearly there camera crew to get things right, plus handling possibly contaminated gifts for the elderly to then handle!

In short, I don't see the necessity for these 'good news stories' and 'communications' staff being bundled around the country when there is a lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

joe40 wrote: »

Completely agree with this. Even now we have more freedom than some people have.

pgj2015 wrote: »
    how dare they go visit their 94 year old relatives and talk to them from 2 metres away:rolleyes:

they might have lived only down the road from them btw.

Seriously?

That's exactly what everyone's been told NOT to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

I am still working, as based in a port. I only come into contact with the same 4 people every day. I use sanitizer and wash my hands religiously. I've seen people meeting each other, as I drive to and from work, and shaking hands, patting each others back etc. People are stupid, this has proven that to me now more than ever!

You must know more about their circumstances than me.

Not sure about neighbours standing at garden walls though, I saw a group of people in close proximity applauding. Not to mention several takes by the clearly there camera crew to get things right, plus handling possibly contaminated gifts for the elderly to then handle!

In short, I don't see the necessity for these 'good news stories' and 'communications' staff being bundled around the country when there is a lockdown.

Those present were explained in the piece, including who they were and that they lived with 2km. They ere entitled to call to check ln the welfare of their parents even without this major celebration.

The gifts were left just as their groceries would have been. The neighbours were certainly off the property and across the street. If you don't ned god news stories, we who are not getting to hug or kiss our only family members certainly appreciate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

lozenges wrote: »
    Same. People that I would have considered to be intelligent and well educated are suggesting going for walks (live in different household) as long as we stay 2m apart. Neighbours also let their 3 toddlers (from 3 different houses) play together all afternoon on Saturday while chatting to each other on the lawn. Nice people and yeah it must be insanely difficult keeping small kids entertained but it basically puts all the measures they've engaged in so far to waste.

Basically I think people will engage in all sorts of mental gymnastics to justify their actions or deliberately misunderstand guidance which is objectively extremely clear.

Have seen this too. Usually I don’t care what people are at but saw kids mixing from three different houses, one parent a teacher, the other a health care worker. I thought the healthcare worker would know better tbh

• Advertisement

There has already been drivel about the 8th amendment and being compliant British subjects brought into the thread to attack government guidelines. A palpable sense of victimhood resonates, how dare they take away my liberty etc. Undoubtedly the "communist gulag" is the next vendetta du jour. We're being asked to observe social distancing and cease non-essential travel for the next few weeks. Nobody is being held captive and tortured by the Vietcong, get a grip.

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Those present were explained in the piece, including who they were and that they lived with 2km. They ere entitled to call to check ln the welfare of their parents even without this major celebration.

The gifts were left just as their groceries would have been. The neighbours were certainly off the property and across the street. If you don't ned god news stories, we who are not getting to hug or kiss our only family members certainly appreciate them.

The 2km is for exercise only.
    People are allowed to call to elderly relatives to give medical or essential supplies only.
    You've changed your tune on the neighbours now and some were certainly within 2mtrs of each other.
    You're fully entitled to Facetime ect. your own family members and give them the same virtual hugs and kisses that were seen in the piece without endangering them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Was queuing for the weekly shop, woman behind standing maybe a bit close but didn't take much heed until this other one comes over and they started having the gossip. Early 30s at a guess and east European I think. Didn't give a sh*t. Anyway on way out, I spot yer one dabbing her hands under the sanitiser at the door. Dare say she thought she was great.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

I'm following the guidelines. There's too much at stake otherwise and its not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭lozenges

I work in a hospital. I have no problem getting coronavirus from necessary and unavoidable circumstances in work - that's what we signed up for, and it's almost certain that I will get it sooner or later - but by god it would annoy me if I caught it off some randomer because they just couldn't be bothered taking it seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Seriously?

That's exactly what everyone's been told NOT to do!

Told by whom? The whole fake crisis is a textbook case of mass propaganda. Literally Orwellian.

I'm kind of hoping the virus does cause billions of deaths as the human race has proven itself to be so easily manipulated into obsequious compliance with absurd and entirely disproportionate diktats, all propaganised for by so-called free media, that it doesnt deserve to survive.

5 years ago most of youse were on yer high horses about the perfidy of Putin, ye really are hilarious.

I’m surprised that it’s 75% full compliance in the poll. I’m not sure that people are being entirely honest with themselves. I thought that the ‘mostly’ would be a lot higher. My wife and I have the same behaviour as the majority of people we know, which is that we stick to the reasons for going out, we are conscious of social distancing, and we stay within 2km (which is easy as we live next to Phoenix Park). But we go out too often in a day and for too long, especially during the nice weather.

We sleep soundly at night as we know that we are doing this alone and not being close to anyone else. But we can’t say that we are fully compliant, and nor can most of our friends

• Registered Users Posts: 9,211 ✭✭✭pgj2015

tdf7187 wrote: »
    Told by whom? The whole fake crisis is a textbook case of mass propaganda. Literally Orwellian.

I'm kind of hoping the virus does cause billions of deaths as the human race has proven itself to be so easily manipulated into obsequious compliance with absurd and entirely disproportionate diktats, all propaganised for by so-called free media, that it doesnt deserve to survive.

5 years ago most of youse were on yer high horses about the perfidy of Putin, ye really are hilarious.

some people would lock themselves away in their attic for 2 years if told by the government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭cbreeze

paddythere wrote: »
    I observe the restrictions entirely apart from the 2km exercise restriction. I have my routes that I always run and I dont see any reason why I should have to stay within 2km of my house when running, in fact I think it would probably be counter-productive to do so.

Dear God above, not another one of those self-entitled joggers!

Advertisement