Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to remove paint from large area?

• 04-04-2020 1:41pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, I know nothing about painting so please bear with me...

I have a long, low wall that needs scraping and painting as the paint is flaking off. Is there some sort of magic sander or something I can use without damaging the wall? I am not scraping a 40ft long wall by hand. Nu-huh.

I know it may have to wait until the not-a-lockdown is over. How would you do it? Do I have to use chemicals? Not really a fan.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

I'm presuming this is an outdoor way, and not a really long 40' hallway :)

Personally, I'd powerhose any loose paint and dirt off of it and paint over what's left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Power hose it then use a drill with wire brush head on it. You only want to take the loose stuff off and key what's left to take the paint.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Ok that sounds far less dumb than doing it all by hand, I like it.
    Another noob question - how long can I use my black & decker drill with a brush before I damage it? I assume these things overheat after a while?
    I’ll start with power washing anyway. Thanks again.

To be honest I've never done an area that size. Maybe it's too big for a drill. Probably world burn it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I'd just go with the power washing, then paint. Presumably the original paint was not the sort you use on outdoor walls? Or otherwise why did it flake off?

• Advertisement

Maybe the wall was dirty or sandy?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Not sure why it’s flaking off, maybe it’s just been too long. Ok thanks for your input guys. I’ll see what the power washer can do.
    The main thing is, I’m not scraping the thing off by hand.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

A decent powerwasher will do it. No need for brush attachment. Water down first coat as you will prob have bare plaster.

Advertisement