Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Delivering Gifts to the USA

• 04-04-2020 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭

Hi all, looking for some advice

I was looking to deliver Barrys Tea and some chocolate as a gift to my sister who's living in the US. Apparently though An Post has stopped delivering packages to the US because of CoronaVirus , so I'm wondering what my best alternative.

I was looking at UPS which seemed like the cheapest option but now I'm worried that she might get stung for import charges on her end so I'm not sure what the best option is now.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

From an post website:

“Please note that mail services of PARCELS have been SUSPENDED to the United States as a result of the Coronavirus with immediate effect. Mail services of letters, large envelopes are packets are still available.”

It looks like they will still deliver packets. A packet is smaller than a parcel, it needs to meet the following:

- Length plus width plus depth, no more than 900mm with no dimension exceeding 600mm.

A packet can be a box as long as it meets the dimensions above.

There is also a max weight for packet above which it is considered a parcel.

Consider splitting into multiple packets if needed.

https://www.anpost.com/Post-Parcels/Sending/Calculate-Postage/select-attributes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

A warning to buying the overpriced hampers; the companies that send them can be Ireland or Australia. They'll be sending large boxes to the USA that may get stopped.

And are hugely expensive for what people actually get in them! The fcukers pop up around November to send stuff to the Irish in Canada and the States.

Advertisement