Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to buy a small motor bike

Options
  • 04-04-2020 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to buy a small motor bike. I'm not familiar with names but some thing similar to a Honda 50.
    What brands of bikes are available in this category, where is the best place to go looking and what kind of money would one cost. I'm not looking to pay big money if possible

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 MaryKon

Tough one. I was looking for a 50cc to get the mrs on 2 wheels and I am speechless. People looking for 2-3 thousand or more for Vespas, just a smidge less for Neos and everything else has just vanished. I'm now contemplating Chinese websites that might ship to Ireland. Its mad that a moped should cost as much as a 600cc or even a 1L of the same age.

If you're willing to wait until it's legal to get out and do the IBT, get the A1 and a machine in that category will be fairly cheaper. Ffs, there are even some 50cc out there with an asking price of over 4k.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,467 ✭✭✭jmreire

MaryKon wrote: »
    Tough one. I was looking for a 50cc to get the mrs on 2 wheels and I am speechless. People looking for 2-3 thousand or more for Vespas, just a smidge less for Neos and everything else has just vanished. I'm now contemplating Chinese websites that might ship to Ireland. Its mad that a moped should cost as much as a 600cc or even a 1L of the same age.

If you're willing to wait until it's legal to get out and do the IBT, get the A1 and a machine in that category will be fairly cheaper. Ffs, there are even some 50cc out there with an asking price of over 4k.

Was thinking along the same lines ( but not so much after reading your post :cool: ) Are these prices for new bikes, or 2nd hand??? I have a full licence, but only what used to cover the "old" 50cc Bikes.:confused:

Used. She has no experience on any 2 wheeled vehicle so I didn't want to buy a new machine just in case she wrecks it. But I'll probably just pay for her IBT when we're allowed out again and get her a small hornet or something similar

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

If its AM on the back of the licence (can't remember what the old class used to be), it can't be over 49cc or capable of over 45 km/h.
    No 50cc I'm afraid, also being restricted to 45 km/h on any road of 50 km/h wouldn't be my idea of fun

Mjolnir wrote: »
    If its AM on the back of the licence (can't remember what the old class used to be), it can't be over 49cc or capable of over 45 km/h.
    No 50cc I'm afraid, also being restricted to 45 km/h on any road of 50 km/h wouldn't be my idea of fun

Thanks pal, I owe you one. Nearly broke the law there, lucky you explained the difference between 49 and 50. :P

Back to our topic though, what drives people to value these yokes so dearly? Are they becoming the next hipster thing? I don't follow trends and this confuses me now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

MaryKon wrote: »
    Thanks pal, I owe you one. Nearly broke the law there, lucky you explained the difference between 49 and 50. :P

Back to our topic though, what drives people to value these yokes so dearly? Are they becoming the next hipster thing? I don't follow trends and this confuses me now

All bikes in ireland hold their value extremely well, small market, relatively high demand, limited stock. Higher demand higher price. Do the theory get an A if you're over 24 if ya want something small get a honda grom 125.

Look into real bikes the prices can be mind boggling for the age. Then there are those who have a piece of rolling scrap metal and value it as a brand new bike.

No not hipster, food delivery folk, couriers and people commuting in large urban areas like them because they are cheap to own, maintain, and run.

Certain parts of dublin are littered with scooters personally don't get the attraction.

Look, you probably misread the thread. @Tomjim was asking about "small bikes" like a honda 50.

I said I had noticed something strange about that niche. I am not looking to ride one, I'm currently very happy with my 5th bike (XL1000V) and I will probably get a Pan or a GTR in the summer to cut down on chain maintenance as I commute 60 miles daily and it's only natural to move towards a shaft driven machine.

As I said, I was considering a moped for herself to get a taste of the two-wheeled life but it seems now it's much cheaper to send her to do the IBT and get her a proper bike. A bike holds its value only when people are willing to pay... That is why sometimes groups of lads will artificially start pushing on forums and social media and be loud about "the going price"- because as long as they get a handful of muppets buying they can claim the price tags are legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

• Registered Users Posts: 34,706 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The 50cc class is from a past era tbh, not viable on modern roads.

Forget about C50s unless you want to pay deluded collector money and never ride it. Same as Fizzies in the UK, there's a bizarre love for them and this drives prices up.

A Honda Innova 125 is the smallest viable modern day runabout imho.

IBT and motorcycle licensing exist for a reason, I wouldn't be sending a loved one of mine out on the road with a car licence and an exemption, moped entitlement should never have been given with a car licence.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭unattendedbag

Vespas are like some sort of status symbols to hipsters that inflate their actual worth.

If she only wants a taste get a loan of a honda 50 or gn125 on private land/closed carpark and drive around. I wouldn't go down IBT route and licensing If she's not sure she wants to.

• Advertisement

Vespas are like some sort of status symbols to hipsters that inflate their actual worth.

If she only wants a taste get a loan of a honda 50 or gn125 on private land/closed carpark and drive around. I wouldn't go down IBT route and licensing If she's not sure she wants to.

You will see a lot of scooter's ( and some pretty powerful ones too) in other Country's...Italy, Switzerland, Lebanon etc. ( and if you happen to have seen the mafia series " Gomorrah", they play a central part !!! LOL )
    How does it fare out with 3 wheel bike's? Are they classified as a bike or car, in terms of licencing?
    But for what you are getting, s/h scooters and small cc bikes are making crazy money here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

jmreire wrote: »
    You will see a lot of scooter's ( and some pretty powerful ones too) in other Country's...Italy, Switzerland, Lebanon etc. ( and if you happen to have seen the mafia series " Gomorrah", they play a central part !!! LOL )
    How does it fare out with 3 wheel bike's? Are they classified as a bike or car, in terms of licencing?
    But for what you are getting, s/h scooters and small cc bikes are making crazy money here.

As far as I know you're covered to drive a trike on your full car licence which seems to have been an addition to the recent licence print. A number of people think they just magically got a motorbike licence when they renewed their car licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The track width between the wheels determines if it falls under car or bike license.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    As far as I know you're covered to drive a trike on your full car licence which seems to have been an addition to the recent licence print. A number of people think they just magically got a motorbike licence when they renewed their car licence.

Yes, but even back in the day when your ordinary "C" car licence would cover you to drive Honda 50, for anything bigger, you needed to do a test. And that was my mistake,,,I did not do the test back then !!!:cool::cool::cool:

Advertisement