Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European leaders warn coronavirus breakup of union

Options
  • 04-04-2020 5:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭

Coronavirus, or the response to it at any rate, seems to undermine the principles at the core of the EU.

If you want to be resilient in the face of this kind of threat, you don't want easy travel across borders, and you want local supply. Which probably means we would be s poor country again. But if the EU stops being the EU, we wouldn't have an option.

The wheel is still spinning, but anyone have a view.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/coronavirus-europe-unity/2020/04/02/4c9ed8c0-743e-11ea-ad9b-254ec99993bc_story.html
    April 3, 2020 at 11:55 a.m. GMT+1
    BERLIN — The coronavirus pandemic, with its simultaneous health and economic crises, is deepening fault lines within Europe in a way some leaders fear could prove to be a final reckoning.

The cohesion of the European Union had been battered by Brexit, bruised by the political fallout from the 2015 migration surge and the 2008 financial crisis, and challenged by rising autocracy in the east that runs contrary to the professed ideals of the European project.

Now, if Europe’s leaders cannot chart a more united course, the project lies in what one of its architects described this week as “mortal danger.”

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Rufeo

Yeah that will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,646 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Read an article a few weeks back about how far right parties in Italy are keeping their powder dry for now but when all the dust has settled on this in six months time they are going to target an Italian exit from the EU by using the EUs lack of a response on the virus against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Read an article a few weeks back about how far right parties in Italy are keeping their powder dry for now but when all the dust has settled on this in six months time they are going to target an Italian exit from the EU by using the EUs lack of a response on the virus against them.

Ive read similar but it also begs the question what could Europe have done any different seeing as we were all facing into the same battle, Italy's biggest problem like Britain and America was delaying in lockdown and stopping flights from china into northern Italy. They will be banking on people being weary and fatigued from months of lockdown and restrictions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭mulbot

Ive read similar but it also begs the question what could Europe have done any different seeing as we were all facing into the same battle, Italy's biggest problem like Britain and America was delaying in lockdown and stopping flights from china into northern Italy. They will be banking on people being weary and fatigued from months of lockdown and restrictions

Didn't Russia help them out?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭fiveleavesleft

mulbot wrote: »
    Didn't Russia help them out?

Russia & Cuba.

The footage of the Russian lorries racing to the North or the lovely sight of all those Cuban doctors arriving at the airport in their white coats was in stark contrast to the EU's reaction.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Russia & Cuba.

The footage of the Russian lorries racing to the North or the lovely sight of all those Cuban doctors arriving at the airport in their white coats was in stark contrast to the EU's reaction.
    There was a lot of optics with that footage.
    A shot across the bow of the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Russia & Cuba.

You mean the EU reaction of billions of euro? Or purchasing equipment on a European scale or other European countries sending doctors or taking patients? Wasn't a lot of the Russian equipment faulty?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

When Greece economy crumbled 10 years ago EU did nothing.
    When Turkey started shipping migrants to Greece's borders, again EU did nothing.

They award themselves ridiculous amounts of money to "rule" but they are of no importance.
    If ever there was a real-life example of Hunger Games' "Capitol", it's the people in Brussels.

This crisis just shows that when in strife each country looks to itself, not to the "union".

• Registered Users Posts: 26,281 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Muahahaha wrote: »

And why do far right parties have such an interest in leaving the EU ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭weisses

Italian government is not pro EU ..they give the finger to Europe by always spending to much thereby undermining the EU .... And now that the **** his the fan in their own country they are whinging there is a lack of solidarity .... Fukcing bunch of hypocrites is what they are

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

weisses wrote: »
    Italian government is not pro EU ..they give the finger to Europe by always spending to much thereby undermining the EU .... And now that the **** his the fan in their own country they are whinging there is a lack of solidarity .... Fukcing bunch of hypocrites is what they are

None of the nations are pro-EU. There IS no concept of their "EU identity" being first among any member State.

Even Germany only looks at the EU through the lens of national interests. And why wouldn't they? There is no EU culture, no unifying identity, no shared history (at least not one worth celebrating), and no shared vision when even the most critical of decisions are reduced to whose voice at the table carries more weight.

It's a flawed concept from the start. It needs to be unwound and reverted to its EEC state. It's once the political notions of a Superstate started to creep in that the wheels started to come off.

You mean the EU reaction of billions of euro? Or purchasing equipment on a European scale or other European countries sending doctors or taking patients? Wasn't a lot of the Russian equipment faulty?

Faulty? Where did you see that?

biko wrote: »
    When Greece economy crumbled 10 years ago EU did nothing.
    When Turkey started shipping migrants to Greece's borders, again EU did nothing.

They award themselves ridiculous amounts of money to "rule" but they are of no importance.
    If ever there was a real-life example of Hunger Games' "Capitol", it's the people in Brussels.

This crisis just shows that when in strife each country looks to itself, not to the "union".

What exactly is it you wanted the EU to do for Greece?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.ft.com/content/d3bc25ea-652c-11ea-b3f3-fe4680ea68b5
    When Italy asked for urgent medical supplies under a special European crisis mechanism no EU country responded. Fearful of its own shortages, Germany initially banned the export of medical masks and other protective gear. 3M, a producer, said the German restrictions had made it impossible to supply the Italian market.

An example of european solidarity?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

The bureaucratic juggernaut that is the EU is waiting for countries to economically collapse before they offer the"solution", that's why it is sitting on its hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

The bureaucratic juggernaut that is the EU is waiting for countries to economically collapse before they offer the"solution", that's why it is sitting on its hands.

The EUs handling of different crisis doesn't exactly instill confidence in it... They should go back to regulating shower heads and the likes

The EUs handling of different crisis doesn't exactly instill confidence in it... They should go back to regulating shower heads and the likes

Indeed, I saw a banana yesterday that wasn’t up to standard, they need to re-focus on the important things like bananas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭PyreOfHellfire

I had to check my browser, thought I was on the Daily Mail's website. Keep crying lads, EU isn't breaking up no matter how much you have a hard on for it to.

• Advertisement

I had to check my browser, thought I was on the Daily Mail's website. Keep crying lads, EU isn't breaking up no matter how much you have a hard on for it to.

Are you one of the next generation Eurobots?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

mulbot wrote: »
    Don't see anything about equipment being faulty in that article.

Well, useless is pretty much the same thing. If something is faulty, it’s useless then isn’t it. And if it wasn’t ‘faulty’, but was still useless, then why the phuck send it?

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

Are you one of the next generation Eurobots?

Oh my god Rodney you wound me with your quippy retort. 404 response not found. :rolleyes:

• Subscribers Posts: 41,466 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Indeed, I saw a banana yesterday that wasn’t up to standard, they need to re-focus on the important things like bananas.

The ignorance is strong with this one

Oh my god Rodney you wound me with your quippy retort. 404 response not found. :rolleyes:

Yeah, keep spouting sh1te about SF / IRA, Ursula.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    The ignorance is strong with this one

I see your bot buddy got a laugh out of that one. Well played.

Yeah, keep spouting sh1te about SF / IRA.

The only one spouting sh*t is you buddy. Referencing a debunked lie that was proven to be a lie over 13 years ago. Keep going though, you're providing some much needed entertainment. Next you're gonna tell me the EU is building a single army made from the bones of dead Nazi's, or whatever backwards nonsense the Telegraph/Daily Mail tells you to believe.

The only one spouting sh*t is you buddy. Referencing a debunked lie that was proven to be a lie over 13 years ago. Keep going though, you're providing some much needed entertainment. Next you're gonna tell me the EU is building a single army made from the bones of dead Nazi's, or whatever backwards nonsense the Telegraph/Daily Mail tells you to believe.

Did you not post the tripe below in another thread:
    Sorry comrade I have veered off course from the correct group think. I shall send myself to the gulag at once. Erin Go Brath, Chucky our law and all that noble nonsense.

Time for a reboot, you are clearly malfunctioning.

Did you not post the tripe below in another thread:

Time for a reboot, you are clearly malfunctioning.

Yes, Chucky our law comrade. Isn't that your shinners greeting? Or do I have to sing a wolfe tones song to pass your captcha test? :D

• Advertisement

Yes, Chucky our law comrade. Isn't that your shinners greeting? Or do I have to sing a wolfe tones song to pass your captcha test? :D

Keep trying, you might convert someone yet.

Advertisement