Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European leaders warn coronavirus breakup of union

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

fash wrote: »
    no what I am suggesting is that you are talking gibberish:

Of course countries are not working in solidarity in this area: they specifically set up the EU so that in just this type of situation it would not happen. You are the one complaining about that sovereign countries are doing exactly what they always wanted and intended to do. So precisely why are you complaining? Should the EU be empowered to do something or should it not? Considering that the US has been far more ruthless about seizing goods destined for countries it is in international agreements with, why do you not focus your hypocritical faux complaints on them?

Talk of gibberish. It shows there is no desire for further integration. Can I be any clearer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭fash

Yes really, the EU has its own dubious past when it comes to respecting referendums "there can be no democratic choice against the treaties" - Juncker

But you go right on ahead and wave your little blue flag, I certainly won't be
    I appreciate your enormous efforts at lies, deception and misrepresentation:
    Let's include slightly more of that quote from Juncker:

"there can be no democratic choice against the European treaties. One cannot exit the euro without leaving the EU" - said in response to the populist Greek government's fake referendum to reject the bailout terms. Let's bear in mind that not only was it the previous Greek governments that pissed away money on corruption and populism - but also refused to tax the Greek wealthy or reduce spending - who are quite numerous and extraordinarily wealthy - while also wanting to keep the benefits of the EU/Euro - but not the obligations.
    So yes indeed, even if you offer a referendum that "ArchieXStanton will pay for all boardies expenses from now on - yes or no", it won't make ArchieX responsible going forward.

Talk of gibberish. It shows there is no desire for further integration. Can I be any clearer?
    It was in the very earliest treaties and yet there were a vast number of treaties of further integration since.

So what you've said now is - let's be charitable - double gibberish.

It was in the very earliest treaties and yet there were a vast number of treaties of further integration since.

So what you've said now is - let's be charitable - double gibberish.

Spot on, you are talking double gibberish. Let’s see how things pan out for your beloved experiment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

I appreciate your enormous efforts at lies, deception and misrepresentation:
    Let's include slightly more of that quote from Juncker:

"there can be no democratic choice against the European treaties. One cannot exit the euro without leaving the EU" - said in response to the populist Greek government's fake referendum to reject the bailout terms. Let's bear in mind that not only was it the previous Greek governments that pissed away money on corruption and populism - but also refused to tax the Greek wealthy or reduce spending - who are quite numerous and extraordinarily wealthy - while also wanting to keep the benefits of the EU/Euro - but not the obligations.
    So yes indeed, even if you offer a referendum that "ArchieXStanton will pay for all boardies expenses from now on - yes or no", it won't make ArchieX responsible going forward.

Lies? Nice and Lisbon treaties here and the Dutch and French votes on an eu constitution that were ignored only to have it brought in through the backdoor... What's laughable is the EU masquerades as some gold standard of democracy, you'd probably want to look up a few of Junckers most notable quotes, a democrat he is not...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

before joining the EU/EEC, Ireland was (and was forced to be) an impoverished vassal state to the UK. The UK did what it could to ensure that. The UK joining the EEC (which allowed Ireland to follow) freed Ireland from that vassalage. Outside of the EU, that is all that awaits Ireland: impoverishment and vassalage to the UK.
    Let's not forget that the UK most recently threatened to starve Ireland, prevent medical supplies from arriving and as much economic destruction as they could do if Ireland didn't submit to its demands and allow thousands of Irish to die. They were only prevented because of the power of the EU- and you want to give that up!? You think the UK will be nicer to a vulnerable Ireland all on its own?!

As regards"outsiders getting contracts to build roads"- have a look at the WTO treaties on public contracts - you might learn something (although then again...)

Here we go, a history lesson, a slap on the wrist and and a suggestion.

I never said we should join the Uk, point out where in my post I suggested that?

More in common could mean a lot of things.

So you're holding onto the whole famine thing and world wars and reading my post and then getting triggered into a reaction rather than a response.

Come on man, I wasn't born yesterday and maybe you should have read my post rather than translate it to how you want to read it.

A vulnerable Ireland on its own, for the love of Jehova maybe you should get outside and enjoy the sunshine rather than be stuck in darkness resenting the past, and thinking the bogey man is only asleep and when he wakes up he's heading across the Irish sea.

nthclare wrote: »

I never said we should join the Uk, point out where in my post I suggested that?

So you're holding onto the whole famine thing and world wars and reading my post and then getting triggered into a reaction rather than a response.

Come on man, I wasn't born yesterday and maybe you should have read my post rather than translate it to how you want to read it.

A vulnerable Ireland on its own, for the love of Jehova maybe you should get outside and enjoy the sunshine rather than be stuck in darkness resenting the past, and thinking the bogey man is only asleep and when he wakes up he's heading across the Irish sea.

You’ll be accused of supporting Russia / China / US (take your pick) any time now.

Europhiles don’t seem to grasp that there could possibly be people in europe that aren’t in awe of the EU like they are. It is almost like a mental illness, their inability to tolerate any form of dissent or grasp that dissent even exists. Otherwise why would someone be on boards.ie on a bank holiday defending the EU on a meaningless thread that very few people are looking at? Very strange behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭sameoldname

You’ll be accused of supporting Russia / China / US (take your pick) any time now.

Europhiles don’t seem to grasp that there could possibly be people in europe that aren’t in awe of the EU like they are. It is almost like a mental illness, their inability to tolerate any form of dissent or grasp that dissent even exists. Otherwise why would someone be on boards.ie on a bank holiday defending the EU on a meaningless thread that very few people are looking at? Very strange behaviour.

Coming from someone with 500 posts in 20 days?

I think people don't have a problem with "dissent" so much as pig headed ignorance when it comes to the EU. If you're going to complain about it at least do some research first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

Lies? Nice and Lisbon treaties here and the Dutch and French votes on an eu constitution that were ignored only to have it brought in through the backdoor... What's laughable is the EU masquerades as some gold standard of democracy, you'd probably want to look up a few of Junckers most notable quotes, a democrat he is not...
    The UK will break up within 10 years, The EU will add 7 to 9 new members in that time, cant think of anyone wanting to join the uk

Coming from someone with 500 posts in 20 days?

I think people don't have a problem with "dissent" so much as pig headed ignorance when it comes to the EU. If you're going to complain about it at least do some research first.

Care you explain why it is so great?

• Advertisement

Lies? Nice and Lisbon treaties here
    Oh please-
    The ones Ireland begged the EU to allow it to rerun ? The Nice treaty originally won (and proven to have been won) on the basis of absurd lies proven to be funded by American neo-cons intent on weakening the EU such as the EU would bring in abortion? Which Ireland then renegotiated and got (entirely unnecessary) guarantees from the EU in relation to? And the abortion for which Ireland voted for itself anyway?
    So what is it- were they the same treaties- in which case the Irish population originally voted based on obvious lies or were they not- in which case Ireland renegotiated and entirely different treaties were put to the people.

Let's compare the referendums in Ireland to the nonsense in the UK - or anywhere else. What is the shining beacon you want Ireland to follow? Your masters in Russia, the UK or Trump?

and the Dutch and French votes on an eu constitution that were ignored only to have it brought in through the backdoor..

What EU Constitution? There is none. What "back door" - are you trying to suggest that when a negotiation fails you don't see if something can be salvaged? That if an employee is told they can't have a €10,000 wage increase but can have a €9999.99 wage increase they must always walk away?
    Why must you lie and twist and misrepresent?
    . What's laughable is the EU masquerades as some gold standard of democracy, you'd probably want to look up a few of Junckers most notable quotes, a democrat he is not...

A democrat like Trump, Johnson or Putin? Go back to arguing your flat earth, anti-vax, free man of the land, 5G causes coronavirus conspiracies - you'll sound less stupid that way.

The UK will break up within 10 years, The EU will add 7 to 9 new members in that time, cant think of anyone wanting to join the uk

Ah, an impartial opinion from someone obsessed with Brexit.

Spot on, you are talking double gibberish. Let’s see how things pan out for your beloved experiment.
    I see you are unable to actually deny that there was loads of additional integration after the inclusion of public health exception into EEC treaties (i.e. your argument was gibberish) - and instead you are reduced to fact less name calling. Let others decide who is talking gibberish here

I see you are unable to actually deny that there was loads of additional integration after the inclusion of public health exception into EEC treaties (i.e. your argument was gibberish) - and instead you are reduced to fact less name calling. Let others decide who is talking gibberish here

You're the one going postal on everyone, undermining their posting and there's a scent of paronia coming from your posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

You're the one going postal on everyone, undermining their posting and there's a scent of paronia coming from your posts.

Yeah, this is something that has emerged a bit on boards in these EU debates. What normally happens is the Eurosceptics/Brexiteers tend to make some fairly widely repeated points, some more pro-EU/Remainy people make some counter points, the Brexiteers just repeat themselves or move on until the thread goes quiet and a new Brexiteer comes on to make same cliched point again and the process repeats. It's inculcated a measure of debateweariness I guess you might call it? Again, I think it just underlines the need for us all to ensure we are tip top with our debate standards.

Whoever you said we should join the UK- point out in my post where I suggested that?

I was talking about what the UK was doing in 2019 - there is no need to go further back than that. However the fact that you thought it was about the UK policy in the 19th century proves that the UK's geopolitical motives and means of implementing those in relation to Ireland remain the same. So why would you expect it to be different in the future?
    Read it again - this time more slowly.
    maybe you should pay attention. Practice the reading comprehension first and I'm sure that will come

Surprised they haven’t tried to get the thread shutdown.

Oh please-
    The ones Ireland begged the EU to allow it to rerun ? The Nice treaty originally won (and proven to have been won) on the basis of absurd lies proven to be funded by American neo-cons intent on weakening the EU such as the EU would bring in abortion? Which Ireland then renegotiated and got (entirely unnecessary) guarantees from the EU in relation to? And the abortion for which Ireland voted for itself anyway?
    So what is it- were they the same treaties- in which case the Irish population originally voted based on obvious lies or were they not- in which case Ireland renegotiated and entirely different treaties were put to the people.

Let's compare the referendums in Ireland to the nonsense in the UK - or anywhere else. What is the shining beacon you want Ireland to follow? Your masters in Russia, the UK or Trump?

What EU Constitution? There is none. What "back door" - are you trying to suggest that when a negotiation fails you don't see if something can be salvaged? That if an employee is told they can't have a €10,000 wage increase but can have a €9999.99 wage increase they must always walk away?

A democrat like Trump, Johnson or Putin? Go back to arguing your flat earth, anti-vax, free man of the land, 5G causes coronavirus conspiracies - you'll sound less stupid that way.

Begging to be rerun? Lol

I remember Cowan on national TV saying our vote would be respected only to look like a lost schoolboy when he was summoned to the European Council to explain why the Irish weren't good little Europeans, will we ever forget Sarkozy "the Irish must vote again!" I wonder how it would go down in France if an Irish politician told French voters they would have to vote again... Probably like a yellow vest protest..

The EU constitution was voted down by French and Dutch voters and all subsequent referendums in other countries were cancelled when they seen the French and Dutch results, it was brought in through amendments to existing treaties but carefully took out all reference to flags, anthems an anything that showed the EUs political ambitions ie: a superstate

Whoever you said we should join the UK- point out in my post where I suggested that?

I was talking about what the UK was doing in 2019 - there is no need to go further back than that. However the fact that you thought it was about the UK policy in the 19th century proves that the UK's geopolitical motives and means of implementing those in relation to Ireland remain the same. So why would you expect it to be different in the future?

maybe you should pay attention. Practice the reading comprehension first and I'm sure that will come

Reported

Oh please-

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.irishexaminer.com/viewpoints/letters/lisbon-introduces-rejected-eu-constitution-by-the-back-door-95655.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

Europhiles are their own worst enemy - many of them don't see that the turn in narrative against the EU, has now taken a permanent turn - and that they created it. Completely tone deaf.

It's pretty scary, really - the EU is vitally important and does need to be held together, but the same groups are holding back reforms needed to stop economies cratering, and are preventing the narrative from developing, that's needed to foster that reform.

Im dyslexic and try my best, to get my points across.

Enjoy the rest of your evening, thankfully your social skills don't match the rest of the posters here.

Have one on me :)

Ah, an impartial opinion from someone obsessed with Brexit.
    I take it your a brit and glad it's all done

I take it your a brit and glad it's all done

A ‘brit’? I take it you are a ‘nordie’ then?

A ‘brit’? I take it you are a ‘nordie’ then?
    No but I'm glad it's done

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Unless the EU and ECB pull the finger out and take this crisis seriously then the break up of the EU will be the least of our problems.

The current EU approach is a weak link globally.

No but I'm glad it's done

Great, I assume we all want to see Britain thrive outside of the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭McGiver

Great, I assume we all want to see Britain thrive outside of the EU.
    Hello bot or troll. Do you get money directly from the Kremlin or indirectly from your fascist cell/party/group paid by Kremlin?

McGiver wrote: »
    Hello bot or troll. Do you get money directly from the Kremlin or indirectly from your fascist cell/party/group paid by Kremlin?

1518724971445.jpg

• Advertisement

McGiver wrote: »

What’s your major defect, son? I’m Irish, I have no contact with the Kremlin.

Can you really not understand that we are allowed to have dissenting opinions from your ‘group think’ without needing to be paid shills for Russia / China. Are you so brainwashed that you immediately jump to the conclusion that Russian / Chinese bots are posting on this thread?

Seriously?

Cop yourself on, pal.

Why would anyone want Britain to not succeed after leaving the EU? Afraid that it will encourage other countries to follow suit? Pathetic and sickening attitude.

Advertisement