Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gangland Shootings part 3 - Read OP before posting - updated 27/12/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 MMAbhoy

Been following this thread for a long time. I think this "documentary" is going to be the undoing of innocent Dan.

Whatever about him being responsible for a feud that kills 18 people not to mention the countless other deaths he was responsible for in gangland - This was a full blown propoganda attack on the state. They're already embarrassed and trying desperately to sweep like **** to cover up the truth of what was behind the trial collapse and your man doing himself in in Ballymun.

This has opened it all back up, how many people globally that had never heard of the regency will google it now and see "trial collapses after lead detective blows his own head off" not a good look for the govt. Or the Guards.

You see them on a major push now to show how DK is involved at every level (the article this morning, Claire Byrne last night) wouldn't be surprised if Tallant or that prick Williams where wheeled out on the late late this wk either.

Bottom line is, make a cu* t of the state and they'll get you one way or another. They'll care more about this than any number of gangland shootings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

090LD wrote: »
    it looks like they used the actual hotel for scenes for it, I noticed it looked very similar to it as well. If that's true, isn't strange the hotel would allow filming there?

It's definitely the same hotel, and I was asking myself the exact same thing while watching

edit: Just saw the post that said the 'R' is facing the wrong way. Unbelievable mock-up of the hotel if it wasn't filmed there

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Ucntcme

Skimming the kinahans money, a criminal was paying back money, which wasn't getting back to them.

https://m.herald.ie/news/two-brothers-shot-dead-six-months-apart-as-part-of-bitter-gang-cash-row-31424292.html

Suspected shooter of Paul was Gary hutches BEST FRIEND, "This won't end until Daniel Kinahan is dead"

He wasn't the shooter but the shooter was very close to gary

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Haladmirer

I was sure Dan was going to go out in middle age of a heart attack wth a couple of hookers brought on by coke before this pr drive
    Now for sure he will be nabbed soon by Arabs and handed to Ireland
    Politics thrumps money

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭SSLil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Don Logan

How come there’s no pressure from the Irish government of trying to get The Monk back into the country ? Is it cause they don’t know where he is or there’s nothing to bring him back for? Fair play to him for evading death this long he’s definitely gonna wait it out not a peep from him in the last 4 years or so, he’ll be the last one standing I bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

yermandan wrote: »
    It's definitely the same hotel, and I was asking myself the exact same thing while watching

edit: Just saw the post that said the 'R' is facing the wrong way. Unbelievable mock-up of the hotel if it wasn't filmed there

Isnt/aren't the Kinihans cosy with the Regency hotel for a while? Wasnt the afters for his mothers funeral also held there in 2014?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭DD1518

Last time I seen the monk was a few years ago in the crafty cow pub owned by an in law of mine in lanzarote him and a few of the family it was Christmas pay 50 and eat and drink all you want. Knew straight away who he was and got chatting very decent bloke who we expected to see a different side of once the drink hit he only had 3 jack daniels and cokes never lost control of himself and kept the rest in line didn't go on like the big I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Justanoseygit

Everything about the documentary (locations, cast, logistics, etc) will all come out in the wash, but if you aren't the nosey bastard that I am, you wouldn't spot the differences in the hotel lobby footage. You've got to give the producers credit for doing their job well on that. On the other hand, the director and scriptwriter need a swift boot up the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Geoff Wode

The "documentary" was shot in England possibly Birmingham. The hotel used was The Prince of Wales. The budget was big judging by the amount of extras and the special effects and the amount of time put into it. This is full on drama not documentary. All the cars in the background have yellow plates despite the use of what look like Irish number plates on the cars with the actors in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

kotou2 wrote: »
    Many like an under dog, so naturally side with Gerry against the goliath K.

However the H family are synonymous with crime in Dublin, not just cute cuddly crime. Altho kudos to G for Brinks.

But it seems many are pretending it's good gang versus bad gang.

I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but a few days after the Regency, the Sunday Times printed a story alleging that the Kinahans demanded and accepted a gigantic six figure payoff from The Monk to spare Gary Hutch, and then had him shot anyway. Another article alleged that The Monk saw this as "the ultimate betrayal".

Most people I know who took the position you're describing are people who believed that story and saw the attempted hit on Daniel Kinahan as justified not because one gang was necessarily better than the other, but because in some way people just saw it as "bad sportsmanship" for want of a better term, to accept money on the condition that someone will be left alone and for that person to be subsequently targeted regardless. The number of comments immediately after the Regency both on Boards and on Twitter etc from people saying "well that's what you get for reneging on a ceasefire" was pretty astonishing considering the lack of any real evidence that that's actually what happened between the two families.

The thing is, there's absolutely no evidence that such an arrangement or meeting ever took place apart from allegations made by one side of the feud who clearly have a vested interest. So why so many people just took it at face value, I don't quite understand, but that is one of the main reasons so many people saw the Kinahans as the villains and not the Hutches - obviously there's a fairly strong mentality among a lot of people that being dishonourable is a big deal even in the context of two criminal organisations going after eachother. Had it not been for the suggestion that the Kinahans dishonestly accepted money to make a deal they had no intention of keeping up their end of, I really doubt the perception of villain vs hero that you describe would have stuck, even with the feud's death toll being as one sided as it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭John_D3

DD1518 wrote: »
    Last time I seen the monk was a few years ago in the crafty cow pub owned by an in law of mine in lanzarote him and a few of the family it was Christmas pay 50 and eat and drink all you want. Knew straight away who he was and got chatting very decent bloke who we expected to see a different side of once the drink hit he only had 3 jack daniels and cokes never lost control of himself and kept the rest in line didn't go on like the big I am.

Does Gerry not have his own bar on the island

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭John_D3

I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but a few days after the Regency, the Sunday Times printed a story alleging that the Kinahans demanded and accepted a gigantic six figure payoff from The Monk to spare Gary Hutch, and then had him shot anyway. Another article alleged that The Monk saw this as "the ultimate betrayal".

Most people I know who took the position you're describing are people who believed that story and saw the attempted hit on Daniel Kinahan as justified not because one gang was necessarily better than the other, but because in some way people just saw it as "bad sportsmanship" for want of a better term, to accept money on the condition that someone will be left alone and for that person to be subsequently targeted regardless. The number of comments immediately after the Regency both on Boards and on Twitter etc from people saying "well that's what you get for reneging on a ceasefire" was pretty astonishing considering the lack of any real evidence that that's actually what happened between the two families.

The thing is, there's absolutely no evidence that such an arrangement or meeting ever took place apart from allegations made by one side of the feud who clearly have a vested interest. So why so many people just took it at face value, I don't quite understand, but that is one of the main reasons so many people saw the Kinahans as the villains and not the Hutches - obviously there's a fairly strong mentality among a lot of people that being dishonourable is a big deal even in the context of two criminal organisations going after eachother. Had it not been for the suggestion that the Kinahans dishonestly accepted money to make a deal they had no intention of keeping up their end of, I really doubt the perception of villain vs hero that you describe would have stuck, even with the feud's death toll being as one sided as it was.

Think the villain perception you describe stuck more after the death by relation because of a family name or a loyal friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

John_D3 wrote: »
    Think the villain perception you describe stuck more after the death by relation because of a family name or a loyal friend.

Oh that's definitely true in terms of what happened afterwards, the sheer bloodbath of the numerous revenge hits targeting anyone remotely associated with The Monk turned people very much against the Kinahans and Byrnes (not least CAB and the Gardaí, I remain convinced that without either the bloodbath or the ridiculously extravagant funeral for David Byrne, they could have avoided a lot of the heat which was subsequently turned on them). I'm more talking about the immediate aftermath - at first, the reaction was "targeting a hotel full of innocent people in broad daylight, bunch of scumbags" - but when the stories about the lead-up to the feud emerged, that narrative switched to "Kinahan side deserved it, lying bastards".

Obviously that's just anecdotal but to me it pointed to a fairly widespread acceptance of the "they took money off us and promised to let Gary go" story as fact, even though none of the media which carried it actually cited any evidence for it.

I'm not in any way suggesting that the bribe story isn't true, by the way. I have no idea one way or another. I just find it fascinating how quickly and readily people believed it - and how quickly it changed the narrative over the Regency from one of "Jesus, what kind of animals target a public event in broad daylight like this" to "Fair play to them, f*ckers deserved it". I certainly hadn't come across anything like that before. The very idea of a gang involved in a feud releasing an open letter to the media was in itself bizarre and I'm fairly sure unprecedented? Did the media ever carry formally worded statements from feuding families before this? It was incredibly unusual all around and probably added to the interest and intrigue for random commentators without any actual connection to the feud.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

The money changing hands was never denied by any party.
    The media and gardai have informers (on all sides) it was never denied.
    So in the absence of a denial it's fair to say the jist of the story was true.

Also subsequently given the poor public opinion , it would have taken very little for the cartel to leak denials.The Sunday World would have a vicious horn at the thought of such an exclusive.

So for that reason I'm inclined to believe it did happen

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 rascart

if only paddy could of hit dan from minks motor

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭1968

"One of the country's most notorious drug dealers whom gardaí and community groups say introduced heroin into Ireland in the late 1970's has died.

Larry Dunne had more than 40 criminal convictions including convictions for supplying heroin and cocaine."

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/0519/1139337-larry-dunne-death/

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭MrSanchez

paw patrol wrote: »
    The money changing hands was never denied by any party.
    The media and gardai have informers (on all sides) it was never denied.
    So in the absence of a denial it's fair to say the jist of the story was true.

Also subsequently given the poor public opinion , it would have taken very little for the cartel to leak denials.The Sunday World would have a vicious horn at the thought of such an exclusive.

So for that reason I'm inclined to believe it did happen

Add to that the fact that Gary hutch returned to and lived in Spain before he was murdered suggests he thought he was safe

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Noseygit

Paul williams saying are investigating whether Daniel kinahan was a getaway driver in the Eddie Hutch murder. Was that not old news? I'm sure I seen it somewhere before

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭CPTM

1968 wrote: »
    "One of the country's most notorious drug dealers whom gardaí and community groups say introduced heroin into Ireland in the late 1970's has died.

Larry Dunne had more than 40 criminal convictions including convictions for supplying heroin and cocaine."

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/0519/1139337-larry-dunne-death/

Was he the guy who went around the blocks telling kids heroin was just a vitamin? Vitamin 'H' they called it, before administering it to them? Either way, glad I lived long enough to see him leave.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

rascart wrote: »
    if only paddy could of hit dan from minks motor

And ,Dan standing there only waiting to be shot !

• Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Haladmirer wrote: »
    I was sure Dan was going to go out in middle age of a heart attack wth a couple of hookers brought on by coke before this pr drive
    Now for sure he will be nabbed soon by Arabs and handed to Ireland
    Politics thrumps money

money trumps everything in boxing it seems

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 rascart

blinding wrote: »
    And ,Dan standing there only waiting to be shot !

double vision’s a ****

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭White lighting

Noseygit wrote: »
    Paul williams saying are investigating whether Daniel kinahan was a getaway driver in the Eddie Hutch murder. Was that not old news? I'm sure I seen it somewhere before

Yeah i heard that ages ago too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Noseygit wrote: »

LOL

Really. Not a fcuking hope of that happening

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 11 Hatwearer

Geoff Wode wrote: »
    The "documentary" was shot in England possibly Birmingham. The hotel used was The Prince of Wales. The budget was big judging by the amount of extras and the special effects and the amount of time put into it. This is full on drama not documentary. All the cars in the background have yellow plates despite the use of what look like Irish number plates on the cars with the actors in.

The outdoor part at least was shot at The Village Hotel in Cardiff, 100%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Keithlaird

There's been a lot of speculation as to the identity of the three big importers into Ireland.

Most have guessed The Penguin and the Kinahans and they would be correct. The third is a South African man based in Amsterdam.

Presume it's a she? (well the Irish link anyway?), he has a few of them in Dublin...

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Ucntcme

John_D3 wrote: »
    Does Gerry not have his own bar on the island

No. sure if her did I'm sure he would've had his 50th in it instead of hiring out the dubliner

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Everything about the documentary (locations, cast, logistics, etc) will all come out in the wash, but if you aren't the nosey bastard that I am, you wouldn't spot the differences in the hotel lobby footage. You've got to give the producers credit for doing their job well on that. On the other hand, the director and scriptwriter need a swift boot up the hole.

Yep it is actually stunning how close the set is made to look almost identical to the Regency reception so I looked into it further as well.
    Heres David Byrne lying on the ground, you can see the reception desk to the right of his head extends outwards at a right angle
    https://i2-prod.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article7320413.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/PAY-David-Byrne.jpg

Now go to the doc and freeze frame it at 6:38 and the reception desk doesnt extend outwards like it does in real life, instead it just ends.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds3p6p2UCYg

However the big round design on the floor is an amazing job by some set designer. It is basically identical from the real life one which is seen here, compare it and the pic of Byrne above to the video at 6:38 and you'll see the work that has gone into replicating this.

NINTCHDBPICT000470317113-e1550701829480.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭SoSolidFool

Keithlaird wrote: »
    Presume it's a she? (well the Irish link anyway?), he has a few of them in Dublin...

You're getting warmer. He has a female contact that runs his stuff out of Dublin.

Amazingly there's been quite a few South Africans involved in the Irish drug trade which seems to have gone completely under the radar media wise.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement