Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gangland Shootings part 3 - Read OP before posting - updated 27/12/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

smodgley wrote: »
    Michael O'Toole
    @mickthehack
    ·
    3m
    BREAKING: some €700,000 in cash and drugs seized by
    @gardainfo
    Drugs and Organises Crime Bureau in Whitehall, north Dublin. Three arrests.

Covid being very good to the Gardai. The dealers cant shift what they are getting supplied with .

• Registered Users Posts: 38 The enlightened one

Jeff2 wrote: »
    No,there is a specific name for after a company made a mess of trying to get out of a problem.

"Exacerbate" the problem?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Haladmirer

Jaysus Gerard Morgan had just turned 15 when he was murdered
    Any links that claims monk involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Figel Narage

1968 wrote: »
    While the Monk certainly enjoys the ODC and "likeable villain" image, he and his crew are considered the chief suspects in gangland hits in Dublin going back to 1982 (Gerard Morgan, his brother was the actual target) and 1987 (Mel Cox, allegedly got in a fight with the Monk and/or his family in a pub). He may not have drank, smoked or did drugs but he wasn't a non-violent person by nature either.

In regards to the Kinahans, journalist Stephen Breen in 'The Cartel' (2017) has stated that the first person killed under their orders was Kieran Smyth in Dundalk (2001) who helped with transport logistics but who they thought was informing to the authorities. Fairly interesting reveal as the press pointed the finger at the Real IRA at the time AFAIK.

I have to say I was very entertained by that book and turned out to be a lot better then I expected. I'm sure not all of it is true but it was an interesting read. The Freddie Thompson book however was not great, I was hoping it would get more into the first feud he was in and read about some of his other associates such as GW and Paddy Doyle but there was another book years ago about it that was a lot better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

Very little said on here about the last 2 shootings.
    You guys must know very little about them

• Advertisement

Very little said on here about the last 2 shootings.
    You guys must know very little about them

Which last two?

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Don Logan

I have to say I was very entertained by that book and turned out to be a lot better then I expected. I'm sure not all of it is true but it was an interesting read. The Freddie Thompson book however was not great, I was hoping it would get more into the first feud he was in and read about some of his other associates such as GW and Paddy Doyle but there was another book years ago about it that was a lot better

I think that was Cocaine Wars, I bought that second hand off some fella in Dublin and half the pages were ripped out for roach papers haha!

Don Logan wrote: »
    I think that was Cocaine Wars, I bought that second hand off some fella in Dublin and have the pages were ripped out for roach papers haha!

Haha, yeah that's the one. Very good book on the feud, would recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Don Logan

Haha, yeah that's the one. Very good book on the feud, would recommend

I’ve read it twice, I’m an avid reader and usually read crime books that are mostly based in America but it was good to finally go through one based in ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭MickyPearse

700K cash seizure in Whitehall. 3 arrested. Aged 53,29 and 22. 30k worth MDMA pills on them too. Anyone hear who was involved?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭Ciro Di Marzio

The Thompson book was probably the best written book of all the Irish gangland ones, the interviews and data they had was very good. In contrast some of the Paul Williams ones are written terribly, he re-hashes the same stories multiple times using the same phrases I.e. “leafy suburbs” to describe any posher area and “run down council estate” to describe any rough area in Ireland. Very inarticulate writer.

Another good one lads was ‘Mean Streets’ by Barry Duggan on the limerick feud.

I’ve been reading them all since I was a kid going back to Gangland in 98 and the one on Gilligan. Pity Williams was the main figure for so long. But Breen’s style is much better in recent years. Just a much better way of putting the info across and referencing the various sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭6541

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

6541 wrote: »

To be fair we're overrun with 'students' from Brazil, Peru, Venezuela etc so I'm not surprised.

'students' hahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

6541 wrote: »

Jesus for a “hit team” they were carrying allot of weapons, cash and ammo. That’s alot to be trying to carry out a hit aswell lol They most of been supplying these to hit teams instead of being the “hit teams”. I think in general there is very little talked about foreign nationals living here and shifting these lads about the country. Not as fancy as the home boys? Or are the Journos not even taking a chance not knowing their backgrounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

Which last two?

There was 2 young fellas shot in the last monthish
    Both survived

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭1968

Haladmirer wrote: »
    Jaysus Gerard Morgan had just turned 15 when he was murdered
    Any links that claims monk involved?

Yeah, very sad stuff. Definitely the youngest person killed as a result of a gangland shooting in Dublin. Melanie McCarthy-McNamara (16) in 2012 would be next youngest I think.

Gerard Morgan's mother was alive and living in the same home as of 2015.

https://www.thejournal.ie/gerard-morgan-2504011-Dec2015/

From 'Badfellas' (p.181) and newspaper reports, the story goes that Gerard's older brother Alan was involved in an AIB bank robbery in Drumcondra in Feb. 1982 with Martin Cahill and co. Proceeds of the robbert went missing and Alan was blamed. The Monk and Eamon Kelly were arrested after threatening Alan but no charges. Shots were fired at the Morgan family home in March. Gerard was shot dead two months later.

There was 2 young fellas shot in the last monthish
    Both survived

Ah right. I dunno any inside details about it. Some people here are a lot more in the know about the inside stories then I would be as they must live in the areas. To be honest I'm a lot more interested in Kinahan - Hutch related stuff and not hugely interested in local feuds or shootings. Drogheda for instance I don't have an interest in at all and while its interesting that some people on here have an insight into people like RL, it's just not my thing. A lot of people may be the other way around and that's fine as well, just happy to be on the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭1968

The Thompson book was probably the best written book of all the Irish gangland ones, the interviews and data they had was very good. In contrast some of the Paul Williams ones are written terribly, he re-hashes the same stories multiple times using the same phrases I.e. “leafy suburbs” to describe any posher area and “run down council estate” to describe any rough area in Ireland. Very inarticulate writer.

I’ve been reading them all since I was a kid going back to Gangland in 98 and the one on Gilligan. Pity Williams was the main figure for so long. But Breen’s style is much better in recent years. Just a much better way of putting the info across and referencing the various sources.

Have you ever seen a copy of Underworld by John Mooney? He wrote the bio of Gilligan and one on the RIRA. Never seen a copy for sale, online or offline. Not sure if it was actually ever published.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Underworld-Journey-into-Organised-Crime/dp/1905379366/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=john+mooney+underworld&qid=1590585437&sr=8-2

For a memoir, The Miracle of Fatima Mansions by Shay Byrne is good. All about a Drimnagh fella who gets involved in drugs as a teenager (LSD, weed) in the 1960s and then into smack in the 70s and so on. Doesn't name names but gives a very good and colourful account of the drug business from the point of a user, but who grew up and knew a lot of major dealers, in that period.

https://www.maverickhouse.com/books/the-miracle-of-fatima-mansions/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Covid being very good to the Gardai. The dealers cant shift what they are getting supplied with .

For every gram they find, theres 10 times that flying about

Yeah maybe. I think reading the cartel book first ruined it for me as alot of the information in Freddie Thompson's book was in the cartel's book and I didn't really learn anything new. I think if it came out on it's own I would have enjoyed it more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Mago MVP

For every gram they find, theres 10 times that flying about

And the rest probably

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭IRE60

Yeah maybe. I think reading the cartel book first ruined it for me as alot of the information in Freddie Thompson's book was in the cartel's book and I didn't really learn anything new. I think if it came out on it's own I would have enjoyed it more

I agree with you there. The problem was when the cartel book was published FT was on trial/remand and it fcucked things up as they had to refer to him as 'Mister A' (was it, something like that).

The Cartel book slid over a lot of stuff (i'd say it was heavily edited - redacted if you like!) as FT was about to do a bit of bird.
    The FT book was very detailed and very novel like and I do think it would have been a better read, for both books, if the FT one had come out first.

Ed: I'd suspect that the FT book was being researched first, he gets pinched and the 'research' is simply expanded to take in the Cartel. My take only.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭SSLil

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Haladmirer

Yeah, very sad stuff. Definitely the youngest person killed as a result of a gangland shooting in Dublin. Melanie McCarthy-McNamara (16) in 2012 would be next youngest I think.

From 'Badfellas' (p.181) and newspaper reports, the story goes that Gerard's older brother Alan was involved in an AIB bank robbery in Drumcondra in Feb. 1982 with Martin Cahill and co. Proceeds of the robbert went missing and Alan was blamed. The Monk and Eamon Kelly were arrested after threatening Alan but no charges. Shots were fired at the Morgan family home in March. Gerard was shot dead two months later.
    If Paul Williams had of said that as much as he pushed the no drug dacent rogue the monk narrative it might not be news to me now
    So as well as grass in with cops,ie no cops at regency,drug financer,tiger kidnapper and murderer we have child killer too
    Williams sold out poor Morgan family for scoops monk was feeding him for years

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭high_tower

italodisco wrote: »
    To be fair we're overrun with 'students' from Brazil, Peru, Venezuela etc so I'm not surprised.

'students' hahahaha

They’re the best looking women about too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Thethunder

If Paul Williams had of said that as much as he pushed the no drug dacent rogue the monk narrative it might not be news to me now
    So as well as grass in with cops,ie no cops at regency,drug financer,tiger kidnapper and murderer we have child killer too

Not being bad, but this isn't a book review club.

Anyone have info on the South Americans stopped in clara?

Were they brought in especially like the Estonian fella for a hit or are they just unemployed rickshaw drivers looking for fast cash?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Made in China 2040

The cloak of invisibly drops,

Cops?? There was guards at the regancy, intelligence gathering only as the head of an international criminal cartel was present.

Why would he finance Gary's affairs, as Gary was well in with the international criminal cartel?

If he was involved in drug financing, wouldn't the monk be worth more than the 8 million claimed by a respectable journalist, even though top 30 richest irish criminals lists the monk at 18million.

So without any proof, you're saying he's a drug financier, murder and child killer.

The sun is getting to you over there, and we also know who butters your bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭MickyPearse

SSLil wrote: »
    Cash haul of €700,000 linked to veteran trafficker Mitchell

The Penguin still going strong! Still supplying most the gangs in Dublin I'd imagine

The cloak of invisibly drops,

Cops?? There was guards at the regancy, intelligence gathering only as the head of an international criminal cartel was present.

Why would he finance Gary's affairs, as Gary was well in with the international criminal cartel?

If he was involved in drug financing, wouldn't the monk be worth more than the 8 million claimed by a respectable journalist, even though top 30 richest irish criminals lists the monk at 18million.

So without any proof, you're saying he's a drug financier, murder and child killer.

The sun is getting to you over there, and we also know who butters your bread.

I think he means when Gary was younger and street dealing the Monk financed buying the drugs. I never knew that and the first I heard of it but i could believe it. I always was under the assumption he did a few robberies or as he says, "Did a good bit of business buying properties" lol, became infamous, then tagged out and pretty much retired

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

some more there about it - very sad
    https://comeheretome.com/2020/04/08/gangland-murders-in-dublin-1970s-80s/
    26 May 1982 – Gerard Morgan

Gerard Morgan (15) was shot dead as he came to the front door of his family home at 22 Lismore Road, Crumlin on 26 May 1982. It is believed that his older brother Alan Morgan (17) was the intended target. Alan had allegedly fallen out with a criminal gang over the missing proceeds of a bank robbery in Drumcondra in Feb. 1982. There had been a previous gun attack on the Morgan home on 9 March 1982 when five shots were fired.

Patrick Conroy was sentenced in 1983 to seven years in jail for being an accessory to murder by providing shelter to the killer. Michael McDonnell, of 6 Dermot O’Dwyer House, Hardwicke Street, was arrested for the murder but the state dropped the charge and he was not convicted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement