Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FTTH Contention ratio

• 04-04-2020 8:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if the contention ratio for EIR Business FTTH 1000MB is the same as the residential EIR ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I don't know the answer to this one but does it matter?

I have yet to see any area where FTTH has been deployed being affected by contention.
    Other parts of the network have had issues depending on the ISP but not the Fibre that runs from the home to the exchange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The glass is shared at 32:1, the actual contention isnt in the docs that Ive seen. At best its 4800:2400 at worst its 32000:2400. I doubt they'd permit 32 subs at 1G though, that'd be a little silly.

Tux is probably correct though, even the lad downloading a 140GB game is only going to be at 100% CDR for <3 mins. With around 90 people per strand taking 3x per subscription the total demand possible should not be that high. The exception might be a business of 100 people sharing as strand with a housing estate. Maybe, during COVID only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭A+-Guru

Thanks for replies, was just wondering as trying to decide to go Business or Residential

If you're considering either they're exactly the same product.

The real "business" product is about 10x. SME packages are just reskinned residential.

Thanks for that ;)

ED E wrote: »

The real "business" product is about 10x. SME packages are just reskinned residential.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

ED E wrote: »

I'd take it that the reskinned SME packages 'might' have slightly better support if/when it goes down or you have issues ?

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    I'd take it that the reskinned SME packages 'might' have slightly better support if/when it goes down or you have issues ?

Many moons ago, yes. Not since they moved out of Dublin. Now its residential + sme = get morons. Enterprise = get the NOC (as the caller knows what they're doing at that point).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

KeRbDoG wrote: »

Nah. And you don't get a better SLA either.

/M

Thanks lads

Advertisement