Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Gear Do I Need?

Options
  • 04-04-2020 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭

So, I haven't owned a bike for around 6 years and back then I didn't have much protective gear.
    I'm thinking of buying a litre bike in the coming weeks.
    I have a good Shoei helmet, but none of my other gear is good enough for a quick bike.

If I wanted some decent gear, where should I look and what should I budget?
    I'd consider getting an airbag vest too.

I'd be using the bike for both weekend drives and some commuting.

TIA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Agent_47

Lurching wrote: »
    So, I haven't owned a bike for around 6 years and back then I didn't have much protective gear.
    I'm thinking of buying a litre bike in the coming weeks.
    I have a good Shoei helmet, but none of my other gear is good enough for a quick bike.

If I wanted some decent gear, where should I look and what should I budget?
    I'd consider getting an airbag vest too.

I'd be using the bike for both weekend drives and some commuting.

TIA.

Kit yourself out on the cheap via Adverts.ie, some great and some not so great bargains.
    If helmet is greater than 5 years old it needs replacing.
    Leathers, boots and gloves and you're good to go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,064 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

A helmet that has been sitting unused for 6 years? How old is it?

The polystyrene liner deteriorates over time, it's recommended to replace them 5 years after manufacture date, now I have wildly exceeded that in the past myself but you can't beat the fit and comfort of a new helmet imho. You'll be spending many times the cost of that on the bike after all.

I wear only Dainese gear (brand queen or what!) and yes it costs a lot but it lasts well. motorcycleshop.ie is good for other brands.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

Lurching wrote: »
    ...If I wanted some decent gear, where should I look and what should I budget?...

As much as you can afford - you want it to protect you as much as possible if you come off. If you're gonna be riding in the rain then you'll want it to be waterproof also.

Have a look on FC-moto or biker-land.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

Thanks all.
    I had no idea about the helmet. Serious shame as I'd say it was only worn for a total of about 12 hours.
    It's probably 7 or 8 years old now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

I have used XLmoto.ie, Louis.ie, Sportsbikeshop and Motorcycleshop.ie. All good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Agent_47

Two advantages of Adverts. Ie, try before you buy and price.

Once you have that nailed then highly recommend the online shops Motorcycleshop.ie, sportsbikeshop.co.uk. My personal favourite is Motocard. Eu, Ups free delivery that knocks spots off the others especially in these times, as based in Spain it is running a continuous 15% discount so supporting them through these times is worth it . I equally support motorcycleshop. Ie a large amount too.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

I use textile gear from Oct to April and leathers from May to Sept
    The weather in this country is ****e most of the time so warm waterproof gear is essential
    Also don't scrimp on gloves and boots

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭enrique66_35

The lads above in Crossans (thevisorshop.com) are very good as well - very quick delivery (often next day) too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

Some great info, thanks everyone.
    Time to scrape together the pennys and bite the bullet!

Advertisement