Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - Significant reduction in rents coming?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Augeo wrote: »
    A biopharma plant that makes a drug that's injected into the bloodstream doesn't also require R&D.

What employers in Cork and Galway are the R&D centres you are claiming them to be?

You listed Bray and Cork as sites after mentioning Dublin "There is significant job losses in Dublin Pharma."

Relocating a med device plant is easy compared to a pharmaceutical plant. Have you ever seen a cleanroom that makes stents for example and have you even been in a pharma plant?

Yea I consider 450 jobs as significant.
    News that nearly 450 staff at a pharmaceutical company in north Dublin are to lose their jobs has been described as a “devastating blow” by Tánaiste and Minister for Business Leo Varadkar.

Yes I operated as a biotech consultant for pharm plants in Ireland. Put your fingers in your ears all you want but high rents make a difference in attracting talent.

steddyeddy wrote: »

Yes I operated as a biotech consultant for pharm plants in Ireland. Put your fingers in your ears all you want but high rents make a difference in attracting talent.

So you won't detail What employers in Cork and Galway are the R&D centres you are claiming them to be?
    Why not, because maybe you can't list any employer that has significant R&D here in biotech?

a biotech consultant, wow......... you could have been a lab tech on a fixed term contract and claim to have been a biotech consultant

High rents didn't bother Alexion, MSD or BMS in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

Mr.S wrote: »
    Short term, yes they’ll probably drop due to the non-existent demand.

Long term, after all this goes back to normal - we’re still going to have a supply issue and rent prices will climb again.

Let’s assume life goes back to normal in September, why would rent prices continue to drop massively? The “bounce back” would presumably be quick and strong.

While "life" might get back to normal there seems to be a huge amount of large companies not planning to go back to office full time.

This has shown many companies that remote working works and works well.

How many companies do this will definitely have a big impact on what returning to "normal" for the rental/property market is going to look like.

a biotech consultant, wow......... you could have been a lab tech on a fixed term contract and claim to have been a biotech consultant

I was going to answer this but stopped here. I'm explaining to someone who misunderstands that medical devices involve biology that I work in biotech. That's when you know there's other things to focus on. Believe what you want about biotech.

No, not at all. Why would anyone mind high rents. It's a crazy thought. I actually prefer working in places with higher bills, rent and cost of living.

Even crazier is the fact that recruitment firms are stating that skilled workers are turning down jobs in Dublin due to price.
    There has been a significant increase in foreign workers turning down the chance to relocate to Ireland for high-paid tech jobs.

That’s according to digital and tech recruitment firm Prosperity, which said the rejection rate for job offers in Ireland had doubled since last year – up from an average of 15% to nearly 30%.

The Dublin-based recruiter said that the main issue turning foreign workers off a career move to Ireland is the housing shortage.

Workers headhunted by the firm have cited “horror stories” about the Irish rental market as a big factor in their decision.

Instead of moving to Ireland, foreign talent is now opting to stay put or move to tech hubs such as Lisbon and Berlin – two cities which can offer a significantly cheaper cost of living than the Irish capital, according to Prosperity.

Tech workers in Lisbon might earn up to 15% less than they would in Dublin, but rental costs for an apartment in the Portuguese capital are dramatically lower.

It would be absolute stupidity to think that workers aren't happy coming here due to high rents.

AlanG wrote: »
    Genuine Question -

How would you decide between two people who want a particular house? How would you remove corruption from that system?

What do you mean by corruption? It is a landlord's prerogative to pick and choose who they want in their property, them favouring one party over another hardly qualifies as corruption, no matter how much you spin it.

• Advertisement

I was going to answer this but stopped here. I'm explaining to someone who misunderstands that medical devices involve biology that I work in biotech. That's when you know there's other things to focus on. Believe what you want about biotech.

Again............. you won't detail What employers in Cork and Galway are the R&D centres you are claiming them to be?
    Why not, because maybe you can't list any employer that has significant R&D here in biotech?

I queried you and you went on about how MSD, BMS, Amgen etc aren't Biotech but Pfizer GC are. You claim Galway and Cork have most of the BioTech gigs which are seemingly med device and R&D heavy but you won't name any of them.

You mentioned an oral dose manufacturing site in Dublin as a huge factor about the Dublin biotech industry and also mentioned Trinity BioTech in Bray and an API plant in Cork that isn't BioTech.

You are doing nothing but waffle.

You misunderstand that one can have thousands of folk working in BioTech without having any R&D on the sites.

I gave an example of orthopaedics where the biotech input is minimal. Thousands of Cork med device jobs are in orthopaedics.

I previously stated that the majority of biotech is in Cork and Galway. The jobs there encompass significantly more R and D. .............

List some please

Again............. you won't detail What employers in Cork and Galway are the R&D centres you are claiming them to be?

I queried you and you went on about how MSD, BMS, Amgen etc aren't Biotech but Pfizer GC are. You claim Galway and Cork have most of the BioTech gigs which are seemingly med device and R&D heavy but you won't name any of them.

You mentioned an oral dose manufacturing site in Dublin as a huge factor about the Dublin biotech industry and also mentioned Trinity BioTech in Bray and an API plant in Cork that isn't BioTech.

You are doing nothing but waffle.

Maybe I don't want engage with someone who doesn't understand biotech? Your posts comprise smileys, ...., ! and accusations that I'm lying. We also disagree on what biotech is. You also don't seem to consider 400 jobs being lost as significant. So we simply agree to disagree. There's no profit in my writing out posts to this sort of anger fuelled monologue.

So you won't detail What employers in Cork and Galway are the R&D centres you are claiming them to be?

Even Silicon Valley is experiencing an exodus now due to high rents and general cost of living. COVID has really focused people's minds on this - after 9 months locked down in a tiny apartment paying a huge rent with possibly young kids, people are realising that there is more to life than a high salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭rightmove

Which types of landlords are leaving the market and why?

alot - the rtb has the figures and I am one. Regulation in favour of renters only and no way to evict plus being caught at way below market rates.

Even Silicon Valley is experiencing an exodus now due to high rents and general cost of living. COVID has really focused people's minds on this - after 9 months locked down in a tiny apartment paying a huge rent with possibly young kids, people are realising that there is more to life than a high salary.

Of course.
    The places I listed are not exactly located in Silicon Valley....... they aren't anywhere near the docklands etc :)
    I was quoting someone who reckon Cork and Galway have most of the biotech jobs due to high rents in Dublin.
    No detail on these jobs has been provided though.

• Advertisement

Indeed. We even have 30% of skilled foreign workers turning down jobs here due to high rents.

rightmove wrote: »
    alot - the rtb has the figures and I am one. Regulation in favour of renters only and no way to evict plus being caught at way below market rates.

I am fairly certain investment makes a huge difference in profitability.

Maybe I don't want engage with someone who doesn't understand biotech? Your posts comprise smileys, ...., ! and accusations that I'm lying. We also disagree on what biotech is. You also don't seem to consider 400 jobs being lost as significant. So we simply agree to disagree. There's no profit in my writing out posts to this sort of anger fuelled monologue.
    I previously stated that the majority of biotech is in Cork and Galway. The jobs there encompass significantly more R and D. .............

Or maybe you won't list them as you are a waffler and they don't exist.
    You reckon MSD Swords, BMS and alexion D15 aren't biotech.

Jesus man maybe focus on something else or use Google. This is the internet. You're asking a guy who you think is a lab tech stuff you can Google.

Here's one.

Pfizer is to invest over €11 million in setting up an R&D Technology Laboratory at its Ringaskiddy site in Cork, Ireland, with support from the inward investment agency IDA Ireland.

The new laboratory, currently under construction, will be a dedicated R&D facility within the Process Development Centre at the site, to research, develop and create new manufacturing technology for Pfizer facilities around the world.

Here's two in Galway.

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/us-firm-integer-plans-new-100m-facility-in-galway-39432097.html

https://www.galwaydaily.com/news/galway-pharma-company-signs-deal-to-advance-new-cancer-therapy/

You reckon MSD Swords, BMS and alexion D15 aren't biotech.

Every single one of your posts that you've typed directed at me undergoes two or three edits to include new information. Maybe relax when someone disagrees with you.

The fact is that foreign workers are being turned off from working here whether it's r and d, biotech, biomed and med bio. When you have an industry that imports talent such as r and d or tech then you'll suffer with high rents.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Digiteer

On the Daft website, there are around 4,000 properties to rent in Dublin City alone..!! There are also multiple developments in Dublin that are completely vacant..!!
    Microsoft Campus in Sandyford has over 35% of tech staff from India, plenty of accommodation available for them in the area.!
    Do not believe supply is an issue.!

Jesus man maybe focus on something else or use Google. This is the internet. You're asking a guy who you think is a lab tech stuff you can Google.

Here's one.

Here's two in Galway.

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/us-firm-integer-plans-new-100m-facility-in-galway-39432097.html

https://www.galwaydaily.com/news/galway-pharma-company-signs-deal-to-advance-new-cancer-therapy/

You said most of the biotech jobs in the country are in Cork and Galway.

Pfizer Cork is predominantly an API site, how many are employed in the R&D end of things?

One of the Galway links.... "The development, which is supported by IDA Ireland, is to consist of a two-storey building, comprising manufacturing floorspace of 10,610 sq m, with associated office floorspace of 2,445 sq m"

In your own words
    The difference between biotech and manufacturing plants says hello!
    ...... so really how does this fit in with your view?

And with this one
    Where's the jobs?

Digiteer wrote: »
    On the Daft website, there are around 4,000 properties to rent in Dublin City alone..!! There are also multiple developments in Dublin that are completely vacant..!!
    Microsoft Campus in Sandyford has over 35% of tech staff from India, plenty of accommodation available for them in the area.!
    Do not believe supply is an issue.!

I don't think supply is an issue as much as price. Workers in our firm rejected the possibility of living in Dublin primarily due to high rents. It's significantly easier to find rents if your working in tech or biotech as often the company will secure accommodation on your behalf.

You said most of the biotech jobs in the country are in Cork and Galway.

Pfizer Cork is predominantly an API site, how many are employed in the R&D end of things?

One of the Galway links.... "The development, which is supported by IDA Ireland, is to consist of a two-storey building, comprising manufacturing floorspace of 10,610 sq m, with associated office floorspace of 2,445 sq m"

In your own words ...... so really how does this fit in with your view?

And with this one
    Where's the jobs?

Start a new biotech thread somewhere and send me the link. This is a accommodation thread.

Start a new biotech thread somewhere and send me the link. This is a accommodation thread.

Ah yes, white flag stuff.
    Cheers.

Yoiu'd not have much business in a biotech thread IMO :)

• Advertisement

Cheers.

I supplied you with R and D in Galway and Cork now you're asking for numbers of workers in each. If I could magically give you that figure you'd change the question again. Every time I answer something you switch topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Cheers.

Enough Biotech chat..... can we get back to the rental market because I don't care whether the Biotech is in Dublin, Cork, Galway or out on the Aran islands

I supplied you with R and D in Galway and Cork now you're asking for numbers of workers in each. If I could magically give you that figure you'd change the question again. Every time I answer something you switch topic.

You said most of the biotech jobs in Ireland were in Cork and Galway.
    You've provided nothing to back that up.

You said most of the biotech jobs in Ireland were in Cork and Galway.
    You've provided nothing to back that up.

Where are the Mod's hiding???

I'm out of the biotech chat A as we disagree about what constitutes stable biotech investment. It adds nothing to the chat anyway.

Back to renting. Do people really not think that high rents will detract foreign investment?

Where are the Mod's hiding???

Demand is a huge part of the discussion.

Most biotech workers are allegedly in Cork or Galway and not Dublin.

It's worth noting that the average pay of tech workers in the Docklands is ~127k a year and even then foreign workers are being put off moving here.

Demand is a huge part of the discussion.

Most biotech workers are allegedly in Cork or Galway and not Dublin.

Demand is important but you are arguing the toss at the moment and I doubt the outcome of your little spat will have any bearing on overall demand.... can you move the chat to some mad scientist forum so we can get back to discussing the rental market

Demand is important but you are arguing the toss at the moment and I doubt the outcome of your little spat will have any bearing on overall demand.... can you move the chat to some mad scientist forum so we can get back to discussing the rental market

I wasn't arguing the toss, complete rubbish was posted.......
    ........... There's a reason why biotech companies are primarily in Cork and Galway.....................

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

Augeo / Timing Belt / steddyeddy, knock it off.

Timing belt, most of the mods have careers so you can assume on-demand babysitting is not always an option. If you have an issue with a post, report it.

Do not reply to this post.

Advertisement