Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - Significant reduction in rents coming?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,476 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

JimmyVik wrote: »
    They probably have you flagged as awkward to deal with :)

For inquiring what floor the apartment was on?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Can you share a link to this legislation?

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

For inquiring what floor the apartment was on?

That was a joke.
    But you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Yellow_Blue

What legislation?
    JimmyVik offered an opinion.
    Just because you disagree with him- does not mean that his opinion is any less worthwhile than your opinion- nor does it mean that his hypothesis, or yours, will come to pass.

There is an element of people wishing to have their cake and eat it here.

Are you implying that it is only JimmyVik who is allowed to offer opinion disagree here?

I lived in 4 EU countries and was never asked for double deposit, although I know they are common in Nordics.

So I am curious to see where is the expert opinion is coming from, and what kind of hostile changes we should expect here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Are you implying that it is only JimmyVik who is allowed to offer opinion disagree here?

I lived in 4 EU countries and was never asked for double deposit, although I know they are common in Nordics.

So I am curious to see where is the expert opinion is coming from, and what kind of hostile changes we should expect here.

Perhaps you should consider if there is any legislation which limits/prevents a LL from asking for two months deposit, to my knowledge there isn’t.

As tenant legislation becomes more focused on benefitting the tenant, you should expect LLs to become more particular about who they will rent to and what security they will require. The difficulty with removing errant tenants is such that LLs will take whatever measures they can to try and reduce risk.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'm not suggesting that JimmyVik's opinion is worth more or less than your opinion- I am stating that his opinion is as valid as your opinion is, and trying to bludgeon someone because their opinion doesn't have a basis in legislation- is akin to trying to muzzle them.

Akin to you- I've also lived in the EU extensively- in 5 different countries. In 4 of the 5 I was asked to pay more than 1 months deposit (only exception was in Germany) and in all 5 countries- I rented unfurnished units- and was expected to return the units freshly painted in a predetermined colour and thoroughly cleaned- to the landlord (and received a fine in France and in Portugal- when I did not repaint the units, despite the paintwork being in mint condition).

Different strokes for different folks.

If a tenant is in rent arrears the legislation states you can remove them in 56 days (we all know this doesn't happen of course). This includes a 28 day warning notice to pay the arrears in full and a subsequent 28 day notice of termination.

To cover this basis landlords should actually be asking for a 2 month deposit. Understandably a lot of tenants wouldn't be happy with this but some damage limitation protecting landlords might also keep them in the game.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

kian163 wrote: »
    If a tenant is in rent arrears the legislation states you can remove them in 56 days (we all know this doesn't happen of course). This includes a 28 day warning notice to pay the arrears in full and a subsequent 28 day notice of termination.

To cover this basis landlords should actually be asking for a 2 month deposit. Understandably a lot of tenants wouldn't be happy with this but some damage limitation protecting landlords might also keep them in the game.

If it takes a minimum of 56 days notice (between arrears and termination of tenancy) it makes sense to have a commensurate level of deposit.

It also makes sense for someone other than the landlord or the RTB to hold the deposit- as both the RTB and the Landlord are viewed as overly biased (in different directions). A model based on the Scottish deposit lodgement scheme- might be an idea, however, its not without its own issues. Either way- someone should hold the deposit- and that someone should not under any circumstance be the RTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

I met a girl yesterday. She rents a room in a house in South Dublin near UCD. Her landlord rents out rooms in the house individually. two rooms are vacant. He has had only one enquiry in a week and the statistics on DAFT are showing 0 property views for the rooms. This is the same for other rooms advertised in the area. Even 6 months ago there were numerous enquiries for rooms in the area.
    Clearly demand has fallen off a cliff.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Ozark707

I met a girl yesterday. She rents a room in a house in South Dublin near UCD. Her landlord rents out rooms in the house individually. two rooms are vacant. He has had only one enquiry in a week and the statistics on DAFT are showing 0 property views for the rooms. This is the same for other rooms advertised in the area. Even 6 months ago there were numerous enquiries for rooms in the area.

Is he reducing the price? If not then he will probably continue to have those rooms empty...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

I rent rooms in my house and demand hasn't slowed down at all. I was expecting a lot less inquiries but that wasn't the case. My price is benchmarked to the current market in the area

Ozark707 wrote: »
    Is he reducing the price? If not then he will probably continue to have those rooms empty...

If there is nobody even looking, a reduced price will not attract anybody.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

If there is nobody even looking, a reduced price will not attract anybody.

You're assuming nobody is looking. There are always people looking. Now there might be a lot less than there was this time last year but there will still be people looking.

Six months ago there was possibility UCD would be returning to lectures at some stage of this academic year, that is unlikely now. Let’s see what interest is like when university students return.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

You're assuming nobody is looking. There are always people looking. Now there might be a lot less than there was this time last year but there will still be people looking.

When you post an ad on Daft you can see how many people have viewed it. That's how you see if there is interest, regardless of people who actually apply

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    When you post an ad on Daft you can see how many people have viewed it. That's how you see if there is interest, regardless of people who actually apply

There might be no interest in the ad right now but there may be at a reduced price.

Dav010 wrote: »
    Six months ago there was possibility UCD would be returning to lectures at some stage of this academic year, that is unlikely now. Let’s see what interest is like when university students return.

A few years after my time in uni I ended up living close to UCD in a shared house. We regularly enough had a room going but we never considered undergrads. We wanted someone at least doing a masters/phd etc if they were coming from UCD. Over the years we only ever had 2 from UCD actually staying with us. The area around UCD is an excellent location for many so if there is little or no demand it might not just be related to the fall off in attendance of students. As others have pointed out if the LL reduced the price it is likely someone would take a room.

I am seeing other people closer to town now struggle to let rooms in house shares as well.

A few years after my time in uni I ended up living close to UCD in a shared house. We regularly enough had a room going but we never considered undergrads. We wanted someone at least doing a masters/phd etc if they were coming from UCD. Over the years we only ever had 2 from UCD actually staying with us. The area around UCD is an excellent location for many so if there is little or no demand it might not just be related to the fall off in attendance of students. As others have pointed out if the LL reduced the price it is likely someone would take a room.

I am seeing other people closer to town now struggle to let rooms in house shares as well.

You have to admit demand/enquires would be higher if the University had students? Or are we to discount the most obvious source of demand around UCD?

The Daft ads show the number of views. There are 0 views.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

If near UCD, then I would imagine there would be a massive lull in activity right now. Even without the pandemic, there would be very few people looking to move in Feb. Obviously with the pandemic, there would be a temporary fall in demand for that area with many students holding off before moving back to Dublin. Many will hope (from a financial perspective, not a social one!) to avoid moving back to Dublin until next September.

In terms of the 0 views, a lot of people use filters when searching. If priced above people's expectation, then it simply won't appear on their results.

• Advertisement

That won't be for at least 6 months yet.

That won't be for at least 6 months yet.

There is a good chance these are cause and effect.

If the price was lower the ad may get views.

You have to admit demand/enquires would be higher if the University had students? Or are we to discount the most obvious source of demand around UCD?

Yes I agree but the point I was making was that the general UCD area was always appealing to non students. As an aside they seem to be quite close to finishing new blocks of multi-story units on campus. So supply will be up a lot hopefully for when the students come back. I know they are looking at converting other student acc in town to other uses but I doubt that would ever fly for 'on-campus' acc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭HansKroenke

Yes I agree but the point I was making was that the general UCD area was always appealing to non students. As an aside they seem to be quite close to finishing new blocks of multi-story units on campus. So supply will be up a lot hopefully for when the students come back. I know they are looking at converting other student acc in town to other uses but I doubt that would ever fly for 'on-campus' acc.

I would guess the on campus accommodation will be put to full student use for the large numbers of international students the university is dependent on and need to get back in order to try to alleviate the funding crisis. The international students with their fees is absolutely crucial to UCD and this reliance is going to get stronger ove the coming years.

I would guess the on campus accommodation will be put to full student use for the large numbers of international students the university is dependent on and need to get back in order to try to alleviate the funding crisis. The international students with their fees is absolutely crucial to UCD and this reliance is going to get stronger ove the coming years.

Yes and no different to any other university in the western world I imagine. Will they be able to increase the numbers coming by a huge amount?

There's something wrong with the Daft site at the moment. All the properties have 0 views. Mine had 1500+ yesterday but 0 today. It's a glitch.

There's something wrong with the Daft site at the moment. All the properties have 0 views. Mine had 1500+ yesterday but 0 today. It's a glitch.

Even if it is a glitch there are very few enquiries. The glitch doesn't explain the low level of enquiries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

If online is working for courses that don't need full time physical attendance right now, would international students not stay in their own country & study from home in future? Cheaper & less hassle about visas etc for students & probably similar revenue for the universities.

• Advertisement

If online is working for courses that don't need full time physical attendance right now, would international students not stay in their own country & study from home in future? Cheaper & less hassle about visas etc for students & probably similar revenue for the universities.

Truth is probably no one knows how it will pan out. The colleges have had to introduce lectures through using tools like Teams and for some people it will probably be sufficient but for others they will prefer in class. There probably won't be a one size fits all model and I guess some colleges will start to offer the remote option as well for reduced cost.

Advertisement