Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - Significant reduction in rents coming?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

If online is working for courses that don't need full time physical attendance right now, would international students not stay in their own country & study from home in future? Cheaper & less hassle about visas etc for students & probably similar revenue for the universities.

They (international students) could easily have found online courses and stayed at home in the past and saved money.
    They didnt, because I assume the local experience is important to them.
    So my guess is they will be back.

As for domestic students, i have two nephews who started 1st year at UCD this year. I feel so sorry for them. They are not getting the college experience in any way, shape or form. This virus i think is much harder on school leavers than anyone else. Its just taken a part of their lives where they go out and spread their wings off of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

JimmyVik wrote: »

As for domestic students, i have two nephews who started 1st year at UCD this year. I feel so sorry for them. They are not getting the college experience in any way, shape or form. This virus i think is much harder on school leavers than anyone else. Its just taken a part of their lives where they go out and spread their wings off of them.

At least they are not out drinking, taking drugs, arsing around and wasting their parents money.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,512 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

At least they are not out drinking, taking drugs, arsing around and wasting their parents money.

That’s what we are sorry they are missing out on. Jeez man, were you ever young?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,516 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Past few days the number of properties for sale on daft seeking under €200k seems to have increased dramatically. Lots of properties being auctioned also. These are mostly 1 or 2 bed apartments in poorer areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Ozark707

cgcsb wrote: »
    Past few days the number of properties for sale on daft seeking under €200k seems to have increased dramatically. Lots of properties being auctioned also. These are mostly 1 or 2 bed apartments in poorer areas.

Dublin?

• Advertisement

cgcsb wrote: »

What has that got to do with rents in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Yellow_Blue

Last month I submitted 12-15 inquiries to view , we managed to view 2 apartments. Majority haven't got back to us at all. And few asked for double deposits/ reference packs prior to viewing. Based on that I assume there is enough candidates to rent. The areas we are searching are far from universities though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,476 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Last month I submitted 12-15 inquiries to view , we managed to view 2 apartments. Majority haven't got back to us at all.

I'm having the same issue, just not getting replies at all. Cant figure it out, why advertise if you aren't going to bother responding to potential customers?

And it's not that I am giving off red flags in my enquiry, I am confident of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Timing belt

I'm having the same issue, just not getting replies at all. Cant figure it out, why advertise if you aren't going to bother responding to potential customers?

And it's not that I am giving off red flags in my enquiry, I am confident of that.

What type of property are you looking at if you don't mind me asking?

Just curious to see if it it would be a BTL landlord or a REIT/Fund

• Registered Users Posts: 18,476 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

What type of property are you looking at if you don't mind me asking?

Just curious to see if it it would be a BTL landlord or a REIT/Fund

Looking at 1/2 bed apartments in Dublin, budget anything up to €1900/2000 p/m.

I find I get responses from private landlords but the estate or letting agents are completely useless. There is one agent in particular with a substantial number of listings on Daft that I have just stopped bothering with, the listings are all sitting there for months now but you never get a response.

• Advertisement

Looking at 1/2 bed apartments in Dublin, budget anything up to €1900/2000 p/m.

I find I get responses from private landlords but the estate or letting agents are completely useless. There is one agent in particular with a substantial number of listings on Daft that I have just stopped bothering with, the listings are all sitting there for months now but you never get a response.

They might be possibly gone but it is a form of advertising for the agency?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭dublin_paul

I'm thinking of renting a 1 bed apartment for around 1600 euros on my own. With corona, gf coming over a few nights a week, and WFH, I feel like I could take the hit for a year. But I think a 6 month lease would be much better than 12 due to the potential for rent drops or economic crisis. Any thoughts?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'm thinking of renting a 1 bed apartment for around 1600 euros on my own. With corona, gf coming over a few nights a week, and WFH, I feel like I could take the hit for a year. But I think a 6 month lease would be much better than 12 due to the potential for rent drops or economic crisis. Any thoughts?

Landlord can only legally review the rent once every 12 months.
    You gain Part IV tenancy rights only after 6 months.
    A 1 year lease is more in your favour, than in a landlord's favour.....?

Also- the rent you're suggesting seems rather high. Where is the property?

Landlord can only legally review the rent once every 12 months.
    You gain Part IV tenancy rights only after 6 months.
    A 1 year lease is more in your favour, than in a landlord's favour.....?

Also- the rent you're suggesting seems rather high. Where is the property?

I was thinking of if my personal situation is different in 6 months time, things could change really fast in the current climate (not my employment, but friends to share with... a miracle restrictions lift, etc). I'm 100% on the fence here, I would sign a 1-year lease if they say no to 6 months though.

Stepaside, it's a nice apartment with big windows and has a car spot. It's definitely expensive but I'm not really seeing anything similar at a lower price :(

I'm thinking of renting a 1 bed apartment for around 1600 euros on my own. With corona, gf coming over a few nights a week, and WFH, I feel like I could take the hit for a year...............Any thoughts?

What's your current living arrangement?

Augeo wrote: »
    What's your current living arrangement?

I rent with 2 other guys in a nice 3 bed 2 bath terrace house. We're splitting up and going our own way after our lease is up (life taking us different directions, no animosity)

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Smouse156

Just got an email off Vesta Living, which was quite popular when it launched now offering 2 months free on 2 & 3 bed apartments when you sign a one year lease...and people say rents aren’t falling 😂

Just remember these discounts aren’t reflected in the Daft asking price for all of you (Dav010) that believe the Daft asking price reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Yellow_Blue

Smouse156 wrote: »
    Just got an email off Vesta Living, which was quite popular when it launched now offering 2 months free on 2 & 3 bed apartments when you sign a one year lease...and people say rents aren’t falling ��

Just remember these discounts aren’t reflected in the Daft asking price for all of you (Dav010) that believe the Daft asking price reports.

They are not even on daft now. Interesting approach

Just got an email off Vesta Living, which was quite popular when it launched now offering 2 months free on 2 & 3 bed apartments when you sign a one year lease...and people say rents aren’t falling ��

Well it was always going to be difficult to sustain those prices while rents were falling. Were they not asking something approaching 2k (for a 2 bed)? Still its good to see them adapting to realities by offering a second month free. I wonder what existing tenants out there will be able to do when their lease is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Smouse156

Ozark707 wrote: »
    Well it was always going to be difficult to sustain those prices while rents were falling. Were they not asking something approaching 2k (for a 2 bed)? Still its good to see them adapting to realities by offering a second month free. I wonder what existing tenants out there will be able to do when their lease is up.

Yeah 2k for a 2-bed and they were high for Clongriffen but were very popular at launch due to the facilities/amenities. There is a whole thread for them on boards.

Naturally impossible to sustain Dublin rents when everybody fled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭rightmove

this is a joke. trying to keep the headline rent high to keep the ptrb market rate locked in. Surely prtb need to look at this and the stupid idea of RPZ needs to go

Just got an email off Vesta Living, which was quite popular when it launched now offering 2 months free on 2 & 3 bed apartments when you sign a one year lease...and people say rents aren’t falling 😂

Thanks for the shout out Smouse, but the monthly rent still stays the same on the lease and when registered with the RTB. The discount is just an incentive for Vista Living properties. Sorry, as analysis of the sector goes, I’m going to go with the experts instead of yours. One developments bonus is not indicative of sector wide bonuses.

As rightmove said, drop in actual rate which should occur is being stifled by RPZ. The incentive is good over a 12 month lease, but if the tenant stays on, they are stuck paying the actual rental rate. The longer the tenancy, the less that two month bonus in comparison to a drop is monthly rent seems to benefit the tenant.

It’s like getting the first drink free, then having to pay a fortune for every drink after that. The more you drink, the less value that first drink seems in the overall bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭TSQ

Have you looked at Airbnb for 1 - 3 mth, and some longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

When the pandemic payments end we're going to see the real state of the country.

Gradius wrote: »
    When the pandemic payments end we're going to see the real state of the country.

In relation to Dublin rents, the true state of the sector will manifest itself when we see third level colleges reopen and the extent of workers returning to offices. Until that happens, people are just guessing, and I include LLs in that group, about what demand/supply will mean for Dublin rents.

The true state of the sector is something that is ever-changing. Currently rents are falling. There are a number of factors which are going to have an effect when students return and workers in various industries come back to work. One factor is that some landlords are taking the opportunity to sell their properties if they become vacant. This is being offset to some extent by vultures commissioning the building of apartment blocks, buy to let basis. This has slowed down due to the halt in construction activity. There are also homeowners unwilling to avail of rent a room at the moment and the extent to which this pattern reverses will also be of some significance when there is an opening up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

Was chatting to a best mate of mine tonight who was telling me he’s renting his place in Dublin. Now, I know nothing of the property sector in Ireland and just thought I’d pop it on here as mate doesn’t have a boards account.

In his ad on daft he politely responded at the start of the weekend to a lady saying “sorry hap is unsuitable for this property, hap not accepted”.
    The lady responded telling him this is illegal and will be getting onto “the threshold” first thing Monday.

He’s worrying all weekend about it and he’s a good person, first property he’s ever rented.
    I told him to just take down the ad from daft to be safe rather than sorry, as she could be bluffing or she could be intent on it? Not sure if this is a thing.

In my own opinion I’ve no idea what reporting it could do but surely it’s a bit ridiculous to even be worrying about it?

Given he doesn’t understand the rules or how to play the game. He should hand it off to a estate agent to manage it.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

Was chatting to a best mate of mine tonight who was telling me he’s renting his place in Dublin. Now, I know nothing of the property sector in Ireland and just thought I’d pop it on here as mate doesn’t have a boards account.

In his ad on daft he politely responded at the start of the weekend to a lady saying “sorry hap is unsuitable for this property, hap not accepted”.
    The lady responded telling him this is illegal and will be getting onto “the threshold” first thing Monday.

He’s worrying all weekend about it and he’s a good person, first property he’s ever rented.
    I told him to just take down the ad from daft to be safe rather than sorry, as she could be bluffing or she could be intent on it? Not sure if this is a thing.

In my own opinion I’ve no idea what reporting it could do but surely it’s a bit ridiculous to even be worrying about it?

Technically a case for discrimination could be taken to the Workplace Relations Commission for refusing H.A.P.. The overregulation is another reason why many landlords are exiting the market. Tell your friend to try and not to worry. If your friend has written to the potential tenant saying hap not accepted, perhaps he could write to her again to say that it was erroneous and of course HAP is accepted? Get legal advice.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately your friend is possibly going to be reported to the WRC and could be fined a considerable amount of money as he discriminated on the grounds of HAP. Google HAP discrimination, there have been quite a few high profile cases in the last year.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.rte.ie/amp/1179248/

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.thejournal.ie/tenant-landlord-hap-workplace-relation-commission-discrimination-4596045-Apr2019/?amp=1

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/landlord-ordered-to-pay-12-000-compensation-in-discrimination-case-1.4045616?mode=amp

Advertisement