Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Converting DC motor to AC

Options
  • 05-04-2020 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

I have a DC motor and i want to plug it into a household socket. Is there any way possible to do this? Its a 5 wire motor aswell.

Comments

macscoob wrote: »
    I have a DC motor and i want to plug it into a household socket. Is there any way possible to do this? Its a 5 wire motor aswell.

What type of motor is it? You probably need a controller for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

macscoob wrote: »

The motor could be any of endless types/voltages. Clear description, specs etc needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭macscoob

Sorry i thought i posted these pictures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Assuming its a permanent magnet dc motor, powering it with 230v ac is probably not all that practical.

Not sure what the specs of it are from the pics anyway.

Is it a fan motor?

It’s out of a Mitsubishi air con condenser.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭macscoob

Yes its a fan motor out of a condenser

• Registered Users Posts: 25,461 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, you're going to have a serious problem finding a transformer that can supply 280V DC, I'd forget about it. Unless you can use a component from the original equipment, I assume it was powered by mains electricity.

AC motors and DC motors are totally different beasts, you can't feed AC to a DC motor and v.v. They're both described in detail here....

https://ie.rs-online.com/web/generalDisplay.html?id=ideas-and-advice/ac-motors-guide

Advertisement