Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best current wifi router to bridge with Virgin Media Hub to improve WIFI speed?

• 05-04-2020 11:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

What is the best current router to bridge with the VM Hub right now. Currently getting around 40mb/s within the same room on a 240mb connection so would like to significantly improve on that. My primary goal is to improve wifi speed.

I understand I'd need to request an IPv4 address from Virgin Media to get this up and running.

Thanks in advance, all suggestions appreciated!
    :D:D:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

Hey all,

What is the best current router to bridge with the VM Hub right now. Currently getting around 40mb/s within the same room on a 240mb connection so would like to significantly improve on that. My primary goal is to improve wifi speed.

:D:D:D
    What speed do you get on a wired Ethernet connection into the hub (at the same time of day as your 40Mb/s reading). If you are in the same room, the existing hub should be able to deliver substantially more than 40Mb/s. If just 6 homes are sharing 240Mb/s, each home will get 40Mbp/s. You may be experiencing high levels of contention at certain times of day. Remember, with cable TV networks, the coax cable is shared between everyone in your neighbourhood segment. In some areas there are not too many sharing, but in other areas, there are large numbers sharing, and with 1 Million kids at home watching Netflix, some networks are under pressure at busy times. No point shelling out money for a new router or WiFi solution, if contention is your problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Movie Maestro

On a wired connection I get full speed.

My bad, looks like everything is fine on my end:o I've been using my work laptop to connect over VPN during the COVID-19 outbreak and the speed was 40mb/s, When I disconnect from the work VPN I can get the full 240mb over wifi. I've tried another laptop and it is also connecting at full speed of 240mb.

Looks like my work has throttled the VPN speed. The company has 30,000 employees globally and all are being directed to work from home where possible.
    I've tested all 4 available VPN servers and they are all the same so I guess that's the problem, probably nothing I can do about this:(
    Thanks for the reply babelfish1990!

Advertisement