Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What lessons can we learn from the COVID19 pandemic?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Thestones

As soon as an new outbreak is detected all borders to that region must be closed immediately, all over the world too slow to react, flights still going all over the place from infected hotspots. Too afraid to upset other countries by banning flights, look where we are now. From Ireland’s perspective letting flights from Italy was a major mistake when it was the worst hit country. On another note when did flights stop leaving Wuhan? I find it amazing that China somehow stopped it spreading outside that province to the rest of China but it was let to spread to rest of world?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

paw patrol wrote: »
    on a personal level , don't believe the government or HSE blindly and don't parrot their advice.

masks don't help :rolleyes:
    Use your own brain.

on a political level , it's been said above.
    stop relying on 3rd world slave labour for your stuff , we can't eat the produce of the IFSC, nor can we wear it

If you were working with sick patients you wouldn’t wear a mask so?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,222 ✭✭✭plodder

We need proper legislation around the declaration of an emergency that allows us to do a number of things, for a temporary period without the usual levels of bureaucracy.

To have control over our boarders from restrictions right up to closures during the time an emergency is in effect, no matter what the EU or the US is doing.

This same legislation should be able to grant temporary rights where the government can take control without seeking permission or cooperation of any and all venues such as stadiums, racecourses, halls, college campuses, private hospitals, all airports, sporting clubs, funeral homes, crematoriums and pretty much any other venue that is deemed necessary during an emergency.

The powers of the Gardaí should be extended and conviction of Prosecutable offenses such as theft, looting, and assaulting emergency service employees Etc during an emergency should carry Automatic custodial sentences.

We have been caught out with the Seanad not being elected because legislation cannot be passed, there should be a temporary way to pass legislation during an emergency in an efficient manner, currently the Gardaí have no legal power to stop people going anywhere past the 2km
    I think that is due to the fact that regulations under the new emergency health act have not been passed by the Minister for Health, which is strange because some regulations have recently been passed. But, definitely the whole legal framework we need to have in place for a crisis like this does not seem to be adequate right now.

Beyond that, it's very early to be looking for broader lessons. As a society I think we have coped fairly well so far. The big question is the level of economic damage and cost that results.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Agreed although I'd like to see two? other organisations being formed to work alongside it. A single organisation becomes corrupt or too tied to politics. Competition for resources is always a healthy motivator for organisations to stay at the top of their game.

The US has their CDC. We need someone similar just for the EU, with a properly funded and staffed response force. Not a few people, but a serious commitment, because Covid will not be an isolated case. We're going to be seeing more such viruses, if not worse in the future.

Ummm, this already exists. It’s even called the European CDC.

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

If you were working with sick patients you wouldn’t wear a mask so?

indeed, that's why their advise was plain lies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

they really need to start putting aside even more for "rainy days" jesus , I thought it would be economic mismanagment that sank us again, you dont expect it to be a deadly virus!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I hope we learn that we don't need to consume tonnes of rubbish just for the sake of it. Government policy just seems to be economic growth at all costs, but every time a Penney's or H&M or car dealership makes a sale we're doing damage to the planet.
    Most of us can manage as long as we have food and shelter (and off licences!), but we still seem hell bent on converting the planet into a human rubbish tip.
    Maybe we'll all be able to live with less after this and give the planet a break, I hope that's the lesson we learn anyway.
    Reality is we'll go back to as bad as we were and worse if this ever blows over until the next global crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

biko wrote: »
    3 Keep supplies for the next pandemic

the HSE are order ing more supplies in than they would use for a normal several years, this stuff goes out of date so you would spend 100's of millions buying stuff to throw away when it goes out of date.

honestly this is the problem, with pandemics you cant prepare do you store 6 months of food in your house ?

slowing the spread is proabaly the best option, the saturday before the start of the restrictions my boss flew back through belfast international and there were holiday flights full heading to spain.

the people coming form anywhere should have been quarantined somehow, although how you square this with civil liberties i dont know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

Agreed although I'd like to see two? other organisations being formed to work alongside it. A single organisation becomes corrupt or too tied to politics. Competition for resources is always a healthy motivator for organisations to stay at the top of their game.

The US has their CDC. We need someone similar just for the EU, with a properly funded and staffed response force. Not a few people, but a serious commitment, because Covid will not be an isolated case. We're going to be seeing more such viruses, if not worse in the future.

But can we blame all the two week new virus on a two week window the previous 3 months and do nothing inbetween? If we can't then whats the point

But can we blame all the two week new virus on a two week window the previous 3 months and do nothing inbetween? If we can't then whats the point

I'm not particularly interested in blaming anyone. The virus happened. The virus spread. And we (the world) don't have an effective counter to such viruses by having decent organisations designed and funded to counter such threats.

This is not about blame. There's plenty of that to pass around if people are being honest with themselves. Rather, this is about what we do next, how we settle the existing virus, and prepare ourselves for the next. This could have been so much worse. How would we have reacted to a different strain of Ebola that managed to spread? Not well.

So. I'd like to see a more balanced approach which means, for me, to have a number of organisations aimed at such threats, properly funded by all nations, and reviewed regularly to prevent connections being created with any particular donor or political/national agenda.

• Advertisement
Advertisement