Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I don't know where we're going, but I know where I am (part 10)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭bolgbui41

Deskside after doing my first "live" class of the day (my students are in a different time zone, so not as early there). I dunno how primary school teachers are managing to do online classes; trying to get a bunch of 18-24 year olds to engage over camera is hard enough, can't imagine doing it with small children. Now to make four power points and record and upload four lectures if my internet and elderly laoptop will allow it. Lecturing online is a complete pain.

Giving out aside, it's a lovely day here today other than the wind - hope you all get a chance to enjoy it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

bolgbui41 wrote: »
    Deskside after doing my first "live" class of the day (my students are in a different time zone, so not as early there). I dunno how primary school teachers are managing to do online classes; trying to get a bunch of 18-24 year olds to engage over camera is hard enough, can't imagine doing it with small children. Now to make four power points and record and upload four lectures if my internet and elderly laoptop will allow it. Lecturing online is a complete pain.

Giving out aside, it's a lovely day here today other than the wind - hope you all get a chance to enjoy it :)

I only wish primary schools were doing on line classes. Our kid's school isnt. Just emails with the teacher.

A few of us tried to pressure the school in to doing it and the excuses were that not all families have the technology or environment to facilitate on line classes. That the teachers were not trained to do on line classes. That some teachers dont have the technology to do it. That they would need to talk to the DOE and then the unions to see if it was possible to agree and there was not enough time to do this.

The only excuse they did not use was that they could not be arsed.

But anyway - wont let my frustration with the school take away from my general good mood. I was so happy yesterday to get to meet and interact with people and to be in the office.
    And there was a coffee shop open so I got real proper coffee. I will be buzzing for days with that break from the lockdown!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Tableside drinking terrible coffee. I'm on an astrology kick so I was reading oh's and my personality traits just now (he's a gemini-cancer cusp sign, most of my favourite people are Gemini)
    As for me, this made me pause. Apparently women with an Aries sun and Scorpio moon sign can be "the type who marries well and remains a widow".
    Oh dear?

If the department of education want teachers to teach students online then they should provide the equipment.
    There are many students & possibly teachers who don't have it, or the money to get it.
    Just to be fair.

Time for a walk... Then work in the afternoon

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Deskside with the sweet stuff, hope fluffy is doing ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭black forest

I only wish primary schools were doing on line classes. Our kid's school isnt. Just emails with the teacher.

A few of us tried to pressure the school in to doing it and the excuses were that not all families have the technology or environment to facilitate on line classes. That the teachers were not trained to do on line classes. That some teachers dont have the technology to do it. That they would need to talk to the DOE and then the unions to see if it was possible to agree and there was not enough time to do this.

The only excuse they did not use was that they could not be arsed.

The technology exists and is for free. Discord for example is coming from the gamer scene and is a perfect platform for this. Needs a bit of IT savvy people to understand the robots/software behind it but if i can do it everybody can do it. Just needs a free email registration and you can create your own “server”.

Written live chat, post pictures, links, documents and so on. A live video chat as well. This was limited to 10 people but because of c19 they upped it to 50 people simultaneously. Works on every platform and phone.😉

https://discordapp.com/

One can even include live twitter, you tube, rss and other feeds.

@Fluffy Towel: Get well soon. I can feel your aches from the time a few years back when my appendix exploded.😳😉

Deskside with tea no.3. Contemplating being roadside...🚲☀️😁

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Today marks a year since I fell head first into the Shannon in the middle of the night :D
    The Craic my friends have knocked out of that the past 12 months has been something else.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

The technology exists and is for free. Discord for example is coming from the gamer scene and is a perfect platform for this. Needs a bit of IT savvy people to understand the robots/software behind it but if i can do it everybody can do it. Just needs a free email registration and you can create your own “server”.

Written live chat, post pictures, links, documents and so on. A live video chat as well. This was limited to 10 people but because of c19 they upped it to 50 people simultaneously. Works on every platform and phone.😉

@Fluffy Towel: Get well soon. I can feel your aches from the time a few years back when my appendix exploded.😳😉

Deskside with tea no.3. Contemplating being roadside...🚲☀️😁

Is Germay still in lockdown BF? How is our furry friend (luke) doing cat-attack-smiley-emoticon.gif:D?

Deskside with tea no.3. Contemplating being roadside...🚲☀️😁[/QUOTE]

Same here, whenever anyone has abdominal pain, I wince in sympathy.Abdo pain is terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

Today marks a year since I fell head first into the Shannon in the middle of the night :D
    The Craic my friends have knocked out of that the past 12 months has been something else.

I do remember...I'm sorry... but I still get a kick out of that!

A day of hard labour today...hour and a half gone..and must finish by 3 !!

Written live chat, post pictures, links, documents and so on. A live video chat as well. This was limited to 10 people but because of c19 they upped it to 50 people simultaneously. Works on every platform and phone.��

And isn't that the point!
    This can all be done with minimal effort but they simply could not be arsed. Always an excuse not to do stuff rather then actually going and doing it.
    In the mean time sitting on their arses at home collecting their wages. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Couch side with tea :)

Hope everyone is well :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Deskside back to the grind after a long weekend off. Had Monday and Tuesday booked off from ages ago and decided to just take them off... It was nice. I stayed away from the internet and news and actually had a couple of days without thinking about C-19... It was tremendous. Time off is as important now as ever.. even if we're stuck at home.

Is Germany still in lockdown BF? How is our furry friend (luke) doing cat-attack-smiley-emoticon.gif:D?

The lock down is getting more easy. We never had this 2km limit anyway. The last few weeks shopping for essentials was possible and even the open air markets worked as normal. As well as the big hardware stores. Since yesterday small non essential shops up to 800 square metres are open again under strict conditions.

The big ones and the malls are still closed to prevent bigger crowds of people. All public parks and play grounds remain closed. Concerts, soccer and all kinds of bigger gatherings are cancelled at least till August if not completely moved to next year. The Octoberfest in Munich for example got cancelled yesterday.

Some six states of 16 have ordered the mandatory use of face masks or at least scarfs for shopping and public transport. The others will probably follow quite fast. Politics and the local administration here is quite flexibel and are reacting fast. So there can be different levels of measures from town to town. In my area for example public transport was down to 20% to prevent a spreading of c19. Only essential routes were working. At the moment they are upping this again in bits and pieces on a daily basis.

Schools will start again at 4th of May with the older pupils first. The smaller ones might follow later. Crèches and kindergartens will stay closed for the time being.This might change later.

Luke i doing quite fine. Obviously it‘s summer and outdoor time. He is coming by two or three times in the evening for a bit of cuddling. Sometimes i find him sleeping on ‘his’ chair on the porch. 😸😄

@Trigger Happy: I am sure that there are a lot of teachers trying to do the best for their pupils. Others can’t be ar...d or are prevented to do so by their uppers. We have a saying over here...the fish stinks from it’s head. 😠😉

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,519 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Fluffy I hope you are ok..

Bedside absolutely confused by time and day.

And isn't that the point!
    This can all be done with minimal effort but they simply could not be arsed. Always an excuse not to do stuff rather then actually going and doing it.
    In the mean time sitting on their arses at home collecting their wages. :mad:

https://www.esb.ie/tns/press-centre/2015/2020/04/14/camara-education-and-trinity-access-appeals-to-homes-and-businesses-to-donate-disused-laptops-for-students

teachers don't have any choice in this, no more than lots of other people, their place of work has closed.
    I find it amazing how many are ready to put teachers down all the time!

anyway, here is a link to a charity being run at the moment, people can donate old laptops etc to children and schools that need it.
    not everyone has the money for these things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,281 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Bedside absolutely confused by time and day.
    Welcome to my day :):)

Seph : https://ibb.co/4MrWS45

Need a better camera though

Seph : https://ibb.co/4MrWS45

Need a better camera though

Awww look :3 who own them :3? is that the surprise you were talking about a week or two ago ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,975 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Nothing exciting or dramatic to report here .

Thankfully :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Procrastinating while working.

Boards on one screen, work-y stuff on the second one.

Coffee & a chocolate chip muffin first though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

Armchair-side with tea. In a strange mood today, had a phone appointment with my consultant today. Got a dexa scan done a few months ago as I’ve brittle bones and the consultant said my bone density had actually gone down since the last scan a few years ago. Suppose it’s just weird to come face to face with the fact that I’m not invincible, and actually, quite the opposite! Also the fact that I’m losing bone density at such a young age, I’m only in my early 20s :eek:

Apologies for the rant/moan :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

Grrrr damn glitch! Fluffy, I hope you’re okay

Kitchenside charging my phone. It doesnt feel anywhere near the forecast 20c yet. Would prefer to be in the garden but I need to phone & earphones to block out the grating noise of people guffing nearby and then running a chainsaw. Noise sensitive today and can't think.
    Very stressed as a backlog of messages is building up. Blasted anxiety!
    Awww look :3 who own [/B]them :3? is that the surprise you were talking about a week or two ago ?

She's my cat (the, er, fiesty one) kitten.
    Yes, meant to show you a while back.
    Every time I sit down this little one comes galloping iver and scrambles up into my lap and promptly falls asleep. She's super friendly. She'd give any dog a run for its money.

Kitchenside charging my phone. It doesnt feel anywhere near the forecast 20c yet. Would prefer to be in the garden but I need to phone & earphones to block out the grating noise of people guffing nearby and then running a chainsaw. Noise sensitive today and can't think.
    Very stressed as a backlog of messages is building up. Blasted anxiety!

She's my cat (the, er, fiesty one) kitten.
    Yes, meant to show you a while back.
    Every time I sit down this little one comes galloping iver and scrambles up into my lap and promptly falls asleep. She's super friendly. She'd give any dog a run for its money.

Look at the little faceen on her :3 Aww does she get on with the other cat that you have? :3

Sephers is lying on his bed , must not nap, must not nap , must not na....😴😴

Finished & fcked... shower.. shopping..and then a beer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

My King CH :)

Gardenside listening to the birds :)

Work done tf,tired today, got a text from the school looking for confirmation of exam fees payment...oops,just sorted it now, mother or the year as usual. 🙄

• Advertisement

Good chunk of day spent painting, first coat down and sun playing a supporting role. Should only get easier from here, preparation the toughest part. Back at it tomorrow, feet up now with a chilled refresher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The Crazy Cat Lady

back inside after being out (getting a few bits and pieces) was never so excited to be out :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Autosport wrote: »
    My King CH :)

Gardenside listening to the birds :)

He looks very regal alright, but in hindsight was it a good idea to bring him that time you visited the taxidermist ?

Home-side, hope to be walk-side soon :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Good chunk of day spent painting, first coat down and sun playing a supporting role. Should only get easier from here, preparation the toughest part. Back at it tomorrow, feet up now with a chilled refresher.

*** Now on way to Berties_Horse ... to 'borrow' some paint ***

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,519 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Boring site is boring.. Zzzzzzzz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Just got news that a friend and former work colleague has been hospitilised with Covid-19 in Dublin. I knew he was self isolating with his wife and kids last week awaiting test results. Just spoke to his wife who has tested positive aswell. She's in an awful state breaking the news to me. I was literally checking in with them. I didn't mention it online here or anywhere last week despite others having family members diagnosed. It's not my thing to speculate or report on matters like this. I'm devastated for them and the young kids. Literally in a shocked state here with Mrs G.

• Advertisement

Deskside, just after dinner, beef fajitas, bloody savage so they were!

*pats belly*

Happy sephers :3

Still bored but it's a lovely evening and I has tunes.

Fed and had a beer, but that's it for tonight...movie time now
    :D

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Just got news that a friend and former work colleague has been hospitilised with Covid-19 in Dublin. I knew he was self isolating with his wife and kids last week awaiting test results. Just spoke to his wife who has tested positive aswell. She's in an awful state breaking the news to me. I was literally checking in with them. I didn't mention it online here or anywhere last week despite others having family members diagnosed. It's not my thing to speculate or report on matters like this. I'm devastated for them and the young kids. Literally in a shocked state here with Mrs G.

Geez G , sorry to hear that , hopefully he responds to treatment and has a positive recovery , and his wife too .

Home , making plans for the garden .

Listening to Def Leppard "Animal". Feeling cross. I have infuriating mental block and can't escape noise.

• Advertisement

You know it's a bad night when there hasn't been one post in this thread in two hours.

Look after yourselves folks as best ye can .

Evening Mam :) I'm around the place :)

I'm here, still. Pains all over whinge whinge etc. Little for complaining about really..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭thomil

Well, time for me to pop my head in here again as well. It's been a while.

Couchside, not knowing what to do with myself. Should go to bed but don't really want to...

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Couchside, chilled in front of the telly. Lovely evening...went for a long walk in the Phoenix Park after I got my work done for the day.

Really feeling better about recording my lectures on Zoom - after a million teething problems the week before last, and where I was nearly prepared to chuck the computer out the window, all is running smoothly now. :):D

Grandeeod - really sorry to hear about your friend - hope they make a speedy recovery. Two people I know - acquaintances as opposed to close friends - came down with Covid-19 and after having the fever for a few days they recovered.

Keep safe and well, Wherers!

The damn glitch :mad:

Boards sort yourself out

I'm here, still. Pains all over whinge whinge etc. Little for complaining about really..

You're not whinging Grem , it's relevant, in my eyes anyway .
    Think we all have periods of unease , for want of a better word :o

Autosport wrote: »
    Evening Mam :) I'm around the place :)

ahahahaha :D Brilliant!

It's so quiet at night now. It's wonderful and eerie in turn..

Too quiet? May be i can help...😊

...for all the small and not so small girls. A special one for someone called Lily.😂

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement