Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I don't know where we're going, but I know where I am (part 10)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Text messaging - it'll never take off. The mental gymnastics to get your message to be 140-ish characters or less, couldn't be spending another 20p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    Finally!
    Anyone I've ever mentioned it to looks at me as if I'm off my head imagining things :D

Not at all.
    Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    I remember faxing sports results into RTE for them to put up on Aertel.

Who da fook directed us down memory lane.

I reckon its me. Slam the ban hammer down if you need too.:D Us "older" yet internet savvy types can be a little bit awkward to deal with. Sorry:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Not at all.

I reckon its me. Slam the ban hammer down if you need too.:D Us "older" yet internet savvy types can be a little bit awkward to deal with. Sorry:D

I'm an oldie at heart myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,681 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

I just want my flip phone back :o

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Deskside being hit with nostalgia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,975 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

But who were you supposed to be chatting to?

You'd chat to other people on screen , similar to here PM

Deja Boo wrote: »
    I just want my flip phone back :o

My first Motorola Flip Phone and my second Mobile phone ever - First 087 GSM.

9579877880_817fc447d4_b.jpg

My first ever Mobile phone - 088.

maxon_epc590e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,313 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

You'd chat to other people on screen , similar to here PM

But that wouldn't be live?
    Was it for dating or chit chat?

To thine own self be true

Aahh the good old days of the internet when Claire19 was actually a 19 year old girl and not a 55 year old man. When trolling was going into Oceanfree chat and spamming the page with W@NKERSW@NKERSW@NKERSW@NKERS
    not writing a whole manifesto on why you hate welfare recipients. Take me back!!

But that wouldn't be live?
    Was it for dating or chit chat?

Yes , it was live . Chat , three different pages , one was for sport chat ,,the other two ordinary chat .

• Advertisement

Yes , it was live . Chat , three different pages , one was for sport chat ,,the other two ordinary chat .

Were you typing with your remote control?

I don't remember that. Sounds insane!! Tell us everything. Would you be flirting with strangers?? A/s/l??

I was in college around that time frame so wasn't like I was in nappies but can't remember this at all.
    Probably too busy out drinking and corrupting boys!
    Would anyone ever type anything filthy for the laugh?!
    Or was it open to public viewing?

I was in college around that time frame so wasn't like I was in nappies but can't remember this at all.

Yeah same so why don't I remember it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,552 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I'll never catch up on this thread! Busy day arsing about after work work.

Think rain is due tomorrow, it's particularly depressing in the lockdown when there's nothing to do but look out at it.

Flip phones! I thought I was the business with my snappy closing moves. :D

Glitchmcwitch. .

Glitch

No glitch for me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

No glitch here either :)

Not sure what you don't remember, but chatrooms back circa 1999/2000 composed of people around late 20s/early 30s and on a laptop or PC. Some chatrooms could be filty as feck with so called discussion. Cool times and open to publiv viewing. The alternative scene didn't involve the internet. It was all about texting nudey pics to phones. The gap between early webbers and current webbers is fairly small and was closed by the smartphone.

• Advertisement

PM , open viewing, you'd text in from your phone for fifty cents or whatever per text , dunno tbh !

BuileBeag, it was funny, asl definitely, people would try put their phone numbers up , the messages would be removed , people would get banned same as here .

Grandeeod , lovely phones , that 088 one looks very similar to my first phone also :D

Used to try put our numbers like zero8-sseven etc and yes posts modded fast :pac:

PM , open viewing, you'd text in from your phone for fifty cents or whatever per text , dunno tbh !

BuileBeag, it was funny, asl definitely, people would try put their phone numbers up , the messages would be removed , people would get banned same as here .

Grandeeod , lovely phones , that 088 one looks very similar to my first phone also :D

Jaysus imagine texting your phone number into tv3 for any weirdo to see.

Although I remember in the early days of mobiles you'd just make up a number and text it and hope it would be a cute guy! :D

Used to try put our numbers like zero8-sseven etc and yes posts modded fast :pac:

But do you mean in chatrooms or on tv.

I'm right here now thinking mam is saying you could text into tv3 and they'd show your msgs live, scrolling on the screen??

But do you mean in chatrooms or on tv.

I'm right here now thinking mam is saying you could text into tv3 and they'd show your msgs live, scrolling on the screen??

Exactly, on a teletext page, live

Exactly, on a teletext page, live

Right ok. Just double checking. That's mad. Absolutely mad! :D

Lol spot on Grem , had to be quick to get the numbers :D

That would eat up all your credit!

I could imagine me back in my mischievous days trying for a laugh without getting detected.

Howz your pen1s hangn?
    Do you want 2 c my pu55y?

Purely just because I'd be bored!

Like connections in the Buy & Sell :pac:

• Advertisement

Like connections in the Buy & Sell :pac:

Or The Farmer's Journal or Ireland's Own.

Ah now, FJ was lads lookin for wives and IO was for penpals, B&S was hip and young and oh who am i kidding :pac:

Think maybe a slightly more sexed up version of those two :p

Think maybe a slightly more sexed up version of those two :p

Hadn't seen the B&S in a while then one day was looking through and it had added to the social pages - alternative lifestyles - i was in shock, rural gays got a look in!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Anyone old enough to remember the coded personals at the back of 'In Dublin'?

We've certainly come a long way since then.

Hadn't seen the B&S in a while then one day was looking through and it had added to the social pages - alternative lifestyles - i was in shock, rural gays got a look in!!

Definitely, started off small enough section which grew very quickly if I remember right ?!

• Advertisement

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Anyone old enough to remember the coded personals at the back of 'In Dublin'?

We've certainly come a long way since then.

I was some distance outside the pale for that i'm afraid!

I always get the Ireland's own for my gran. I absolutely love reading the personals. Most of it is like.. '74 year old man seeks 18 -24 year old woman'. :D jog on ya chancer!!!

There's one fella who is always writing in and saying '..hobbies include water and porridge'! ':D:D:D

Definitely, started off small enough section which grew very quickly if I remember right ?!

Barely half a column between men seeking women and women seeking men to the guts of a page!.

Barely half a column between men seeking women and women seeking me to the guts of a page!.

All the men were seeking women but all the women were seeking you?? That's rough on the men! ;)

I always get the Ireland's own for my gran. I absolutely love reading the personals. Most of it is like.. '74 year old man seeks 18 -24 year old woman'. :D jog on ya chancer!!!

There's one fella who is always writing in and saying '..hobbies include water and porridge'! ':D:D:D

He must have no luck if he keeps having to resubmit.
    He should just take off to Lisdoonvarna, although that's probably cancelled this year.

• Advertisement

All the men were seeking women but all the women were seeking you?? That's rough on the men! ;)

Well, what a wishful typo from me!. I'm utterly beetroot now.

I was some distance outside the pale for that i'm afraid!

Ah sure I was in Kerry! You could still get the magazine nationwide. Someone used to bring her mother's copy into school so we could chortle at the personal's.

Well, what a wishful typo from me!. I'm utterly beetroot now.

:D sorry I couldn't resist!

He must have no luck if he keeps having to resubmit.
    He should just take off to Lisdoonvarna, although that's probably cancelled this year.

He must be a spoofer but he always makes me laugh.

I wonder what water and porridge meant in late 80s sexual pecadillo code? I can take a stab at water but porridge leaves me stumped!

I wonder what water and porridge meant in late 80s sexual pecadillo code? I can take a stab at water but porridge leaves me stumped!

I never considered it could be code!!!

Doesn't bear thinking about *vom*

Doesn't bear thinking about *vom*

Was that a reaction or the solution?

Was that a reaction or the solution?

I thought porridge, what could it be and only thought was baby batter which made an ould innocent farmer seem anything but! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

"Water and porridge"...

Well known Kerry terms for pee & poo games....

"Would I lie to you" ?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement