Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus In The Third World

Options
  • 05-04-2020 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else wondered how the likes of Brazil,India,Pakistan and the continent of Africa will cope with the virus?
    The majority of these locations don't have the adequate testing facilities nor do they have the adequate healthcare in place to cope. The stats seen online wont even come close to reflecting the true infection/death figures.
    I've seen videos from India where thousands can be seen cramped in together on the streets. The death toll is going to be very high in these poverty stricken densely populated areas and it's something I haven't heard many people talk about.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Apparently South Africa are showing the way to go. Just a handful of deaths.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-52125713

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭splashuum

South Africa are definitely on top of things compared to the rest of Africa.
    I'd be worried for the rest of the continent.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

splashuum wrote: »
    I've seen videos from India where thousands can be seen cramped in together on the streets. The death toll is going to be very high in these poverty stricken densely populated areas and it's something I haven't heard many people talk about.

The death toll has always been high in those areas. People have been dying in droves the gutters of Calcutta for years, and other than religious organisations providing aid, barely gets a mention. I imagine that for many countries like this, Coronavirus will become just another part of the background noise compared to the western world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

As I said when this came up in previous threads - their demographic age structure will probably save them. If Africa was to be so bad why hasn't it started now?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Several African nations don't have enough tests, just like European nations.
    "There are zero cases in Burundi because there have been zero tests"

Many of them practise lock-down and sure, for several their crappy rural infrastructure will prevent spreading.

Also, their rural communities are often already self-sufficient so they down't need to get stuff shipped in. They can hunker down and wait it out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

And.. the median age is 19. That's the most important factor.

Advertisement