Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The default gateway is not available

Options
  • 05-04-2020 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭

This is doing my head in. I'm trying to work from home and have elderly parents wanting to use the computer to keep in contact with ones and the computer is continually dropping out with troubleshooting reporting that 'The default gateway is not available'.

How do I permanently resolve this problem. It has been happening on a off for a number of months now is not longer and I'm fed up with the temporary nature of the fixes. Basically it seems to settle down after I go through every you tube video solution and then it will flare up again at a later date.

The Internet connection is fine as I'm using it now to write this post.

Any suggestions as to how this can be finally resolved.

For reference in using a LAN as I was under the impression that a hardwired network would be more stable than WiFi!!!

Help appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Just ran ipconfig /renew and after a while it came back on again.

I'm gettign a bit fed up with this as I should not have to be continually doing this and it is too much to explain to elderly parents how to do this.

What is the permenant solution for this nonsense?

And gone again.

Tried to do ipconfig /renew again and got this message :

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

All the errors you're describing indicate an issue between your computer(s)/device(s) and the router running your home network.

Unless you've got a deliberately nonstandard setup like separate router and modem (and if you did, no offence, but I don't think you'd be asking this here) the default gateway and DHCP server functions are usually both fulfilled by the router on a home network.

It could be an issue with that, so if you've got the standard one from your ISP they may be the best to ask, or if you say who your ISP is posters may be able to discern the device and any similar known issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Does it drop once in use or after period of no use?
    If after no use - check power settings on adapter

You might have seen this https://www.minitool.com/news/the-default-gateway-is-not-available.html

Standard setup. Everything else works fine with no dropouts. I'm attempting nothing fancy here.

Can be a mixture of both sometimes it doesn't come up with the connection, other time it drops out when in use.

• Advertisement

I'm in NI so the provider is BT.

is there any way I can do a reset and go from scratch again? Like a factory reset, but not as severe.

I've got a laptop on it works fine on the network. Tablet too and phones. Just this one pc giving me endless grief.

I'm in NI so the provider is BT.

is there any way I can do a reset and go from scratch again? Like a factory reset, but not as severe.

I've got a laptop on it works fine on the network. Tablet too and phones. Just this one pc giving me endless grief.
    I'd go for simple steps first.

If not attempted yet, one step at the time and test:
    1. Ensure your network recognized as "Private" in windows and on antivirus (depend what you use can be called "known networks")

2. Adjust power setting and disable IPv6 on NIC

3. On NIC, set static IP and/or first DNS to router, second DNS to 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1 (revert if no success)

4. Remove device from Device manager and allow system to pick it up(this will reuse same driver for NIC)

5. Locate and rename/move current driver, allow system to reinstall fresh (You might need to have other means of connection available - WiFi)

6. Download and install driver from manufacturer website - Win10(?) tend to pull/replace driver from Windows update and sometimes it might cause issues(You might need to have other means of connection available - WiFi)

edit: All this providing there is no issues with physical connection(cable, port on PC, port on the wall/router/switch)

I'd go for simple steps first.

If not attempted yet, one step at the time and test:
    1. Ensure your network recognized as "Private" in windows and on antivirus (depend what you use can be called "known networks")

2. Adjust power setting and disable IPv6 on NIC

3. On NIC, set static IP and/or first DNS to router, second DNS to 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1 (revert if no success)

4. Remove device from Device manager and allow system to pick it up(this will reuse same driver for NIC)

5. Locate and rename/move current driver, allow system to reinstall fresh (You might need to have other means of connection available - WiFi)

6. Download and install driver from manufacturer website - Win10(?) tend to pull/replace driver from Windows update and sometimes it might cause issues(You might need to have other means of connection available - WiFi)

edit: All this providing there is no issues with physical connection(cable, port on PC, port on the wall/router/switch)

I've checked the cable and connections with a network checker. All is good.

Nothing is connecting this morning to the ethernet.
    It looks like it might be the ethernet switch but it is an unmanaged switch so I can do nothing with it other than power off and on again.

I've checked various points throughout the house and I can not get an ethernet connection on the laptop even though I know it should connect.

The switch is a SMC Networks SMCFS801. There is no reset microswitch I'm lost now.

Problem is the network, not the computers but the look of it.

I wonder does it think nothing is connected and has powered down the ports - although I can see the leds flashing for the port I have in use.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭neonman

If all other devices connect fine it would point to the laptop itself.

Have you tired to use your mobile as a modem and connect your laptop to it to see if it connects via your mobile network to the internet?

It seems to me that the TCP/IP driver on the laptop isn't working and you might need to reinstall the driver for it.

Just a thought.

• Advertisement

I can only get my hands on a TENDA SG108 8-PORT from screwfix.

Do I need a replacement for the SMC?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Could the port be powering down occasionally? Might energy efficient ethernet be enabled on the laptop? Might have missed it but did you say this was happening on WiFi as well or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

I'm so confused as to whether its just your Laptop having issues or all devices on your home network as both seem to be implied?

I suspect most other stuff is on WIFI and working fine?

Have you tried temp ditching the Ethernet cable and trying the laptop on WIFI?

As others have said if all other devices are ok then its an issue with the laptop - Possible exception being that the Laptop is only device on a wired connection, at which point possible router is malfunctioning on this front.

I'd be asking for a new Router ASAP.....Demand the service you're being billed for!

Nothing is connecting this morning to the ethernet.
    It looks like it might be the ethernet switch but it is an unmanaged switch so I can do nothing with it other than power off and on again.

I've checked various points throughout the house and I can not get an ethernet connection on the laptop even though I know it should connect.

The switch is a SMC Networks SMCFS801. There is no reset microswitch I'm lost now.

Problem is the network, not the computers but the look of it.

I wonder does it think nothing is connected and has powered down the ports - although I can see the leds flashing for the port I have in use.
    There usually is no reset and disable ports function on dumb switches.
    Is WiFi on ISP router or on separate device? Does WiFi work?

First confirm your main switch/port on ISP router is OK - laptop direct cable connect to router, eliminating(disconnect all) all other devices and cables, once confirmed OK - test cable to switch and switch itself(each port), so on...

I can only get my hands on a TENDA SG108 8-PORT from screwfix.

Do I need a replacement for the SMC?
    Any chance you have some old router laying around or can borrow for testing purposes. Mind, you will need to set it on IP in same range and disable DHCP on it.

TheChizler wrote: »
    Could the port be powering down occasionally? Might energy efficient ethernet be enabled on the laptop? Might have missed it but did you say this was happening on WiFi as well or not?

Not on WiFi. Laptop and the pc should be set for performance.

Any chance you have some old router laying around or can borrow for testing purposes. Mind, you will need to set it on IP in same range and disable DHCP on it.

None. Just this one. Leds are responding to whatever port I connect to, but just not Internet connection.

There usually is no reset and disable ports function on dumb switches.
    Is WiFi on ISP router or on separate device? Does WiFi work?

First confirm your main switch/port on ISP router is OK - laptop direct cable connect to router, eliminating(disconnect all) all other devices and cables, once confirmed OK - test cable to switch and switch itself(each port), so on...

WiFi works.
    WiFi comes from the BT router.
    Network port works when connecting directly into back of ISP router - same port that is used to feed the switch.
    Cable checked and correct bergen two devices.
    Cable checked and correct between switch and wall socket.

None. Just this one. Leds are responding to whatever port I connect to, but just not Internet connection.
    Can you confirm internet OK on ISP router?
    Any additional "routers" on the network?
    Do your devices get IP? What IP's you get(other metrics) - in CMD: ipconfig /all

Testing switch can be done between two computers(providing you have functional DHCP or set IP statically) - ping, set network share on PC and attempt to access over IP, try RDP from one PC to other

Mango Joe wrote: »
    I'm so confused as to whether its just your Laptop having issues or all devices on your home network as both seem to be implied?

I suspect most other stuff is on WIFI and working fine?

Have you tried temp ditching the Ethernet cable and trying the laptop on WIFI?

As others have said if all other devices are ok then its an issue with the laptop - Possible exception being that the Laptop is only device on a wired connection, at which point possible router is malfunctioning on this front.

I'd be asking for a new Router ASAP.....Demand the service you're being billed for!

Everything works fine on WiFi.
    Pc has no WiFi card so is on ethernet and not working.
    Lap top was working last time I tried on ethernet, but now is not working on ethernet - works on WiFi. I have checked all accessible ports throughout the house and cannot connect to Internet.
    Cables checked and correct.
    Can connect laptop to Internet by plugging directly into back of the ISP router - bypassing switch.
    Network switch seems to be culprit although the leds flash in response to laptop being connected at each socket.

Not sure if there is a setup issue in laptop and pc preventing the switches to operate or if the switch is kaput.

• Advertisement

Can you confirm internet OK on ISP router?
    Any additional "routers" on the network?
    Do your devices get IP? What IP's you get(other metrics) - in CMD: ipconfig /all

Testing switch can be done between two computers(providing you have functional DHCP or set IP statically) - ping, set network share on PC and attempt to access over IP, try RDP from one PC to other

Yes laptop connects to Internet via WiFi (from router) and ethernet directly into back of router.

No additional routers.

So you want me to connect through switch to check the configuration?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Blahfool

2cents- the problem device has a static ip set. And another device is taking it via dhcp?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Blahfool wrote: »
    2cents- the problem device has a static ip set. And another device is taking it via dhcp?

This would be my suspicion also

Yes laptop connects to Internet via WiFi (from router) and ethernet directly into back of router.

No additional routers.

So you want me to connect through switch to check the configuration?
    Check IP on PC - it should be in same range as BT router if it dynamically gets from DHCP(on BT router) .
    As above, double check if its not set on static(with wrong parameters or dublicating)

Confirm you have not disabled DHCP on BT router while troubleshooting...
    scratch that , WiFi would not work either...

Blahfool wrote: »

No, both set to be automatic. Not sure what the second sentence means.

can you post CMD ipconfig /all

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Blahfool

Looks fine. Oh well.

And I'm back connected now after doing nothing.

Frustrating as hell!

Is there anything I need to remove to maintain anonymity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Try setting a static ip, it could be a DHCP fail through the switch

• Advertisement

Try setting a static ip, it could be a DHCP fail through the switch

I will when it screws up again. I'm working from home so trying to catch up on lost time at the minute!

Advertisement