Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barbie

Options
  • 05-04-2020 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭

My cousin's daughter has the same birthday as me and even though we wouldn't be overly close, I have taken to getting her a present every year just because we are birthday twins.

My aunt was telling me that my cousin's daughter is quite girly and has started asking for Barbies, but my cousin won't buy her one. Now, I wouldn't for a second go against this and get her one, but I am surprised that a parent would say no to what I think is harmless toy, especially these days as you get Barbies of different sizes, colours, abilities etc. and I think the toy is a lot more inclusive then it was when I played with them in the 80s/90s.

So, is this a common thing now? Would you object to buying your child a Barbie?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭zapper55

The company makes a big play of having them different colours, in a wheelchair, fancy jobs etc but the majority of them still have huge breasts and tiny waists. Not the kind of marketing I'd want around a daughter or indeed a son.

I make a point of getting educational toys, doctor kits, tool kits for both genders. There's a lot of research on how the toys given to kids influence their ambitions later in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭cornflake1

I had lots of Barbies back in the 80s. I went on to become a computer programmer so it didn't affect my ambitions. I also had lots of books as I loved to read. I played with my brother's Lego and He-man too. I think a Barbie is no harm as long as there is a variety of other toys and educational bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Just an aside if you wanted an idea for a present - There’s a nice brand called Lottie dolls that are made int he proportion of little girls with no boobs, high heels etc. They have cool themes as well like a camping one, an adventurer, ballerina. You wouldn’t be going against the mam and the kid might feel she’s scratching an itch for a barbie type doll.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

I was just going to say I have huge boobs and a small waist and im getting along fine!! :).. The only thing that annoys me about the barbies and that now is that you cant just get a barbie there has to be something with it. Same with a lot of toys, but then if my kid really wanted one id have to say I would not stop them..

I love kids cartoons and yeah toys, so I have my dislikes. In the Night Garden I hated but she loved it, and I am that nice i went and got her a few of the characters as a treat.. Teletubbies ,now himself started showing her that but im like nope it isnt happening...I get why people prefer to get wooden toys and things like that as the amount of plastic that is around is mad, and TV programmes as some of them are just really stupid but a toy like this I dont get it..

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭zapper55

Milly33 wrote: »
    I was just going to say I have huge boobs and a small waist and im getting along fine!! :)..

Same :pac::pac: but I think its healthy to show kids a bit of variety in body shapes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Did you ask why she said no?

I only get things that develop into sets that I know my son would like for a long period of time and will get good use out of, with cheaper alternative to add on (Brio Trainsets, Lego). But the cost of it would be a big factor in my desicion too.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

My son has a cousin's old barbie and she goes on all sorts of adventures. funnily if I had a girl I wouldn't be too keen on her playing with them!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Siobhan82

Oh well, I think people are being bothered far too easily these days. It's just a doll and the main thing is to boost childs ability to distinguish reality from fantasy rather then trying to shield them from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

My main problem with Barbie was the price of all the clothes and accessories and other bits. For that reason alone I would not buy one. Thankfully my daughter wasn't into dolls but I saw my nieces obsessed with them and the cost involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

cornflake1 wrote: »
    I had lots of Barbies back in the 80s. I went on to become a computer programmer so it didn't affect my ambitions. I also had lots of books as I loved to read. I played with my brother's Lego and He-man too. I think a Barbie is no harm as long as there is a variety of other toys and educational bits.

Yeah totally agree here. I have 3 girls, eldest is almost 7. If she asked for a barbie I wouldn’t have a problem with it, they don’t seem to be on her radar yet though, not sure they ever will be. A doll is just a piece of the puzzle related to a larger conversation we all should be having with them anyway.

I find what some people think girls can and can’t have or do a bit draining to be honest. I’ve had people tell me if they ever had a girl they would never ever dress them in pink. Huge eyeroll. Pink seems to be the devil for a lot of people. I don’t like a lot of gendered toys - pink Lego etc because I find it to be ridiculous marketing but if my girls want to wear a pink jumper then Jesus who cares.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Barbie is a normal toy. I still remember getting my one and only one. My daughter isn't into it but she's been given stuff as gifts I wouldn't necessarily be mad on, that's all part of gift giving though. Buy the barbie.

Advertisement