Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ocular Migraine - how do you deal with it?

• 05-04-2020 7:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭

I’m 60.

I had my first ocular migraine almost two years ago.

It was diagnosed as such after a battery of tests to rule out the possibility of an impending stroke. (I’m now told that if what had happened two years ago was a precursor to a stroke, I would have had one by now.)

The pattern with these is the same. I’m doing something, usually reading or looking at a screen, when I suddenly realise I have a small blind spot.

Within 10 minutes a kind of kaleidoscope-like interference sets in. It lasts about a further 20 minutes.

I feel no pain. But, I do feel a bit wasted for a while afterwards. I can also feel a bit down for a day or two.

My eyesight is also below par for about 24 hours afterwards.

One thing is that I’ve always found reading tiring and I can’t do it for prolonged periods - whether it’s book, newspaper or screen.

I wear glasses and have my eyes tested regularly.

Anyone else with this condition care to share their experiences?

Any ideas on dealing with it? It’s not a big deal in the greater scheme of things, but it’s a nuisance I’d like to improve if I could. Also, the frequency has increased. I’ve had five this year so far.

Thanks.

D.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

I find it's usually triggered by something. Camembert is one major offender for me, and last weekend I got one after cleaning the bathroom, so I'm mostly pinning that one on using cillit bang.

Not a lot you can do for it. Wait for it to pass. And thank your lucky zig zagging stars that you:
    a) don't have a headache with it; and
    b) haven't been physically sick with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Dinarius

I find it's usually triggered by something. Camembert is one major offender for me, and last weekend I got one after cleaning the bathroom, so I'm mostly pinning that one on using cillit bang.

Not a lot you can do for it. Wait for it to pass. And thank your lucky zig zagging stars that you:
    a) don't have a headache with it; and
    b) haven't been physically sick with it.

I used to get full-blown morning migraines from a medication I should never have been on. Not any more.

The only really annoying thing about my OM is the strain I experience when reading for any length of time. I simply can’t do it.

D.

Advertisement