Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr. Leo Varadkar rejoins the health service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭Field east

BluePlanet wrote: »
    Yes

When ? In may? . And which year. A bit more info would help.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Faugheen wrote: »
    There goes the ‘PR stunt’ angle.

Oh yeah, there it goes.

:D

Oh to be so naive again...

I have always maintained that Leo is the most capable member of FG (https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=112870897).
    Way more capable than SimonC and SimonH.
    He lost a lot of credibility with his handling of Bailey and Farrell and Murphy but he is still the best leader in FG.
    However this was clearly a publicity stunt. I think we'll see another election by Q4 2020 or perhaps in Q2 2021.

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Of course there's an element of PR to this. Fair play to him but I'm sure he's happy with the publicity too.

I find it intriguing how the majority of people talk about how great Leo, FG and Holohan are doing as if they are doing something above and beyond what's expected of them. They're doing well but they're doing their jobs not something superhuman.

Personally, I'd vote Leo for Taoiseach because I think he's the best candidate for it. I thought it before the election. Anyone changing their opinion on his suitability for Taoiseach over this needs a serious look in the mirror. Once this passes, all the reasons you didn't vote for him last time will still be there.
    They say in America that your typical American company would prefer to hire someone who has made 100 mistakes as against someone who has made no mistake.
    Would it be reasonable to say that a number of actions implemented -or lack of actions- by the FG led gov over the last nine years @and which it was not happy with or now think that they can be improved upon would not get its attention if FG is involved in the next gov.
    FF and FG would be very naieve if they do not enhance their response to the housing and health issues for starters. Politicians do learn. So this idea of No Change/ the same old, blah, blah. Is totally misguided. But such comments appeal to the those that live on populist oxagen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭anewme

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/coronavirus-varadkar-returns-to-practising-medicine-to-help-during-crisis-1.4221463

He really has come in to his own as a leader. He really is a great example. Especially when you compare him to other world leaders.

I'm sure the usual "bots" who can't see pass their nose for hatred of FG will be along to cry PR stunt or whatever, but thats just par for the course with the men who have all the questions and none of the answers.

I have to just say, fair play leo, hope you inspire others to do what they can.
    anewme wrote: »
    Op s post reads very two faced. He posted 3 weeks ago about going to Milan Northern Italy and intended to go with his family up to the end. He said if his family showed no signs of it, then they were ok, he clearly did not give a fvk about anyone else's.

When flights were cancelled, he said it worked out better and went to Cheltenham instead to win some money on the "nags" and boasted carelessly that if work stopped him from going , they would have to pay him.

He and others sneered at me for expressing concerns to HR about not wanting to work beside those fools who only cared about themselves. My reasons for concern, was that I had a vulnerable family member, who unfortunately is now ill.

Now this evening, I am stunned and angry to open this thread and read the brazen blatant 360 degree about turn pontificating about leadership and how great Leo is, looking for thanks. Unbelievable.

I would respectfully ask the OP to re read his posts in that thread and stand over what he said previously and ask why it differs 200 percent to what he says now?

Is it because the likes of him were let back in from Cheltenham carte blanche to infect everyone else?

Hi Paddy, to quote your goodself.....with the men who have all the questions and none of the answers.

Do you not feel that given your own recent behaviour and attitude that your first post in this thread is hypocritical and an insult to those of us with very ill family members?

Back to my point about how it is more important to do the right thing than look for thanks.

I don't mean to be un necessarily harsh on OP, but having a very ill family member, you can understand how I am very annoyed that the OP is preaching now to others, when he was all about himself and only concerned about his Cheltenham trip a couple of weeks ago and was quite ignorant to those of us who were concerned about our family members.

Very poor form.

OP, you may have 300 thanks on your post and I may have, well none. That's not what it is about though. It is about doing the right thing, not lecturing others about doing it.

anewme wrote: »
    In all fairness, what have the number of thanks got to do with anything? (and I am not taking it out on you Blanch)

There comes a time when doing the right thing is more important than how it is perceived, or how you spin it. Or how many thanks you get. Actions speak louder than words. We all need to be accountable for our own actions and how they impact others.

I was very forceably struck by the very large amount of thumbs up post no 1 got as against posts countering it. But when it came to the various postings after that the ones that are anti LV are somewhat ahead. What does that say?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Field east wrote: »
    I was very forceably struck by the very large amount of thumbs up post no 1 got as against posts countering it. But when it came to the various postings after that the ones that are anti LV are somewhat ahead. What does that say?

I think people are always going to have different opinions and some will think he is doing a good job and some will not.

My query relates to the integrity of the first post.

Someone said someone elses opinion was not valid as it got just one thank you, but I feel that thanks is just a response, your own integrity is far more important.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Didn’t you vote for FG in the last election?

the one just gone, no. The two before that... Yes...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭conorhal

It's the most upvoted news story on Reddit world news at the moment.

j2xgZyy.png?1

In the era of 'so shocking it's no longer shocking' news headlines featuring your Trumps, Bolsonaros and Dutertes, it's refreshing to see this kind of news whether it's from one of our own or not.

What a surprise, the reddit crowd respond well to 'like share and subscribe to Leo' (don't forget to ring that bell for notifications!)

This is how achievement is measured these days.

Refreshing would have been a Dr. as a minister for health that didn't (like bottler Riley before him) flee the job at the earliest opportunity after fixing exactly nothing.
    God but peoples memories are short.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

the above is what I am talking about, absolutely brilliant! these bloody idiots, assuming most are you or youngish. He crucifies them on housing, childare if applicable, insurance etc, but lets forget that! "look what he is doing now, on several hundred k a year and taking the piss for years, he is doing a small bit to help out" All is forgiven Varadkar!

they thought brexit was enugh to justify their failure on every other front, they were wrong, look at the election results. It will be the same when this blows over, believe me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Field east wrote: »
    Sure you , with your logic should be able to fly a helicopter, an airplane, build a house man a subside line, do all the things solicitors do , grow sugarbeet, attend successfully to a sick calf , etc, etc, etc, etc then. Come on d, try an attempt at getting real. Is this another attempt at mud slinging in the hope that some of it will stick. As Nixon said. ‘I know that he did not do it but let him deny it”

Wrong. They are all physical activities which require a person to be physically involved in the actions. And I would not pretend to be able to build a house, for a plane or grow sugarbeet.

Like my Bord Gais call centre analogy, what Leo is doing is simply asking questions and following predetermined actions dependent on the person's answer. Anyone can read from a script.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Whelo79 wrote: »
    Wrong. They are all physical activities which require a person to be physically involved in the actions. And I would not pretend to be able to build a house, for a plane or grow sugarbeet.

Like my Bord Gais call centre analogy, what Leo is doing is simply asking questions and following predetermined actions dependent on the person's answer. Anyone can read from a script.

Great, hopefully it encourages more to volunteer to do so

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

Sinn Fein must be sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Jim Root wrote: »
    Sinn Fein must be sick.

They're getting their own PR stunts in too.

Twitter was full of tweets from various SF TDs handing back €8,200 of their salary to the Exchequer.

https://twitter.com/EOBroin/status/1247082255920566272?s=19

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

McMurphy wrote: »
    They're getting their own PR stunts in too twitter was full of tweets from various SF TDs handing back €8,800 of their salary to the Exchequer.

How is that a "stunt"? He's giving his salary back because it's objectively too much.

And I wonder will Leo's doctor's pension and additional salary be taxed at a bigger rate because of his tShock salary.

I reckon he just wanted to check if he could appoint himself to any position he wanted and get pay accordingly while he's currently dictator of Ireland.

Twitter was full of tweets from various SF TDs handing back €8,200 of their salary to the Exchequer.

Does this come out of the average industrial wage part of the salary?

Fair play anyways, annoyed me there was a mail going around about how to claim tax back for working at home. Going to need all the revenue we have!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,126 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I dont think any of us know exactly what he is doing but it was reported as "consultations with patients", not contact tracing as people here keep saying.

He is after putting himself back on the medical register, that isnt just follow a script. He is doing what your local GP would be doing, which is why he needs his medical registration to do that job.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

s1ippy wrote: »
    How is that a "stunt"? He's giving his salary back because it's objectively too much.

And I wonder will Leo's doctor's pension and additional salary be taxed at a bigger rate because of his tShock salary.

I reckon he just wanted to check if he could appoint himself to any position he wanted and get pay accordingly while he's currently dictator of Ireland.

Sarcasm doesn't come across well in text form, but my post was in response to another poster who reckoned the shinners "would be sick"

Going by the likes and retweets, they might just have stolen Leo's thunder a bit this morning.

There's a big of a PR battle going on right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭conorhal

Idbatterim wrote: »
    the above is what I am talking about, absolutely brilliant! these bloody idiots, assuming most are you or youngish. He crucifies them on housing, childare if applicable, insurance etc, but lets forget that! "look what he is doing now, on several hundred k a year and taking the piss for years, he is doing a small bit to help out" All is forgiven Varadkar!

they thought brexit was enugh to justify their failure on every other front, they were wrong, look at the election results. It will be the same when this blows over, believe me!

Exactly.

The healthcare system that's he's rolling up his sleeves for now, is the same healthcare system that he and his cronies have spent the last decade running into the ground un-reformed, just like the shower before him.

A healthcare system Leo couldn't get out of fast enough into politics, then a ministerial post in health he couldn't get out of fast enough into a leadership role, and now I'm supposed to applaud this 'stunning and brave' move that was probably dreamt up by his over paid PR team?

I don't think so!

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭JPCN1

Jim Root wrote: »
    Sinn Fein must be sick.

Don't worry, Dr. Leo will look after them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

JPCN1 wrote: »
    Don't worry, Dr. Leo will look after them.

There's no cure for what they have...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Sarcasm doesn't come across well in text form, but my post was in response to another poster who reckoned the shinners "would be sick"

Going by the likes and retweets, they might just have stolen Leo's thunder a bit this morning.

Typical of Sinn Fein to turn something like Covid-19 into a PR battle though, isn't it?

I assume you must be sickened by their cynical exploitation and co-ordinated tweeting?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,856 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

There's no cure for what they have...

herpes?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Since when did anyone have a medical qualification that allowed them to answer medical questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/coronavirus-varadkar-returns-to-practising-medicine-to-help-during-crisis-1.4221463

He really has come in to his own as a leader. He really is a great example. Especially when you compare him to other world leaders.

I'm sure the usual "bots" who can't see pass their nose for hatred of FG will be along to cry PR stunt or whatever, but thats just par for the course with the men who have all the questions and none of the answers.

I have to just say, fair play leo, hope you inspire others to do what they can.

I will concede he is doing an ok job but he simply has no democratic mandate. And yes I do believe that while him re-registering as a doctor is providing good leadership, it is ALSO a PR stunt. He's a politician, for heavens sakes, and a very cute and savvy one (coming out the week before the gay marriage referendum when everone knew it would pass - oh please, what a hero) Oh yeah and he lost the election. That thing we had a few months back, dont know if you recall it.

tdf7187 wrote: »
    I will concede he is doing an ok job but he simply has no democratic mandate. And yes I do believe that while him re-registering as a doctor is providing good leadership, it is ALSO a PR stunt. He's a politician, for heavens sakes, and a very cute and savvy one (coming out the week before the gay marriage referendum when everone knew it would pass - oh please, what a hero) Oh yeah and he lost the election. That thing we had a few months back, dont know if you recall it.

It seems noone "won" that election hence why we have an acting government.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

It seems noone "won" that election have why we have no government.

Noone won the election outright, thats true and SF have failed to step up to the plate and build a leftist consensus. Was listening to Eamon O Cuiv earlier and he was saying a lot of FF resistance to an FG coalition. Granted he is on the republican sympathetic wing of FF, which Michael Martin has no time for. To hear Martin mouth off, you'd think MLmcD personally ordered the Enniskillen bombing while taking breaks from studying for her Inter Cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Stanford wrote: »
    We elected FG to lead the Government and they elected Vlad to be Taoiseach, not a medical doctor.

Another silly FG stunt, we need leadership now, not Vlad playing silly buggers

Putin is Taoiseach now?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,856 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Well to be a bit cynical, it might be in the personal interest of some politicians to keep the oul wages down low.

If I'm in a job and I'm making 30k above and beyond what I could make in any other position, I might decide that I don't want it to go up another 20k because at that level it might start to attract some competent people in and I'll lose me seat and be down to earning 30k less.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

s1ippy wrote: »

I mean, why would you even bother with this shyte.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Floppybits

This is really annoying me. There should not be a PR battle going on at this time. You have to ask why is this happening, is that FG see an opportunity here to get back some of their lost popularity considering that they currently are the government and need to tackle this? It is just fortunate timing for FG that they happened to be in control at this time.

We have people asking were are SF gone and other stuff like well As far as I am aware all the parties agreed to the measures that the government are taking similar to what was done for brexit, so all the parties are allowing the government to deal with this. I would commend all the parties not in government for taking a step back and supporting the government in the measures taken. This is why you are not seeing SF, FF or any other party out holding Press Conferences or releasing information undermining the steps this government have taken.

Lastly the actions the government have taken are based on medical advice, as we have seen in this country when the government are being told what to do either by the Trioka or as we see now the medical advice things run better, where we have a problem is when the government can make their own choices as we seen when the Trioka left and what was then done, they can't be trusted.

Remember this the Trolley crisis in healthcare hasn't gone away, those families living in hotels haven't gone away, they have just been put on the back burner this COVID situation is fixed. Imagine being a family that is living in a hotel room at this time.

Advertisement