Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr. Leo Varadkar rejoins the health service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,449 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Idbatterim wrote: »
    care to explain FG election disaster?

They got voted out.

Thats democracy.

And they made it clear they needed to go into opposition.

What's your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

He's just answering the phones. He's not frontline. I'm no longer impressed after finding that out.

Because you were so impressed before that :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Shinners still frothing at the mouth. Go to bed lads. Get some sleep. No doubt Leo will put his foot in it again soon enough. Ye can relax. He never fails.
    In the meantime, it’s good to know how easily ye are triggered. Great entertainment :D

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭WashYourHands

Leo should be running the country 7 days a week.. not playing doctor and doing media work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Fair play to Leo! Looking forward to seeing other national leaders who are qualified doctors follow suit.

As a practising Opthalmologist in London Basher Al-Assad was, according to the Guardian, "A doctor whose boss recalled him as humble and whom nurses thought exemplary in reassuring anxious patients about to undergo anaesthetic". It would be funny to see him dust off the old stethoscope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Send my congratulations to voters against welfare and "free" houses and votes for the party which promised more of both .....

what Fg? arent they presiding over luxury apartments in dundrum, free housing, outrageous welfare. More intersted in protecting margaret cash and co and the optics, than looking after those that put them in power years ago. They have reaped , what they have sowed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Because you were so impressed before that :rolleyes:

Yes. Then I adjusted my opinion based on new information. An alien concept to lots of people here, I’ve noticed.
    Great stuff. Leading from the front. The effect on morale will be much greater than the physical contribution. Like Churchill watching the bombers from his roof or George V staying in Buckingham Palace while the bombs were being dropped.

His speeches have been excellent too. One of them was also reminiscent of Churchill.

It's hard to judge the policies that have been put in place to deal with this in the immediate term. I think it would have been better to have acted sooner, but this is not a dictatorship so that might not have worked. They have done a good job of getting people in general to support restrictions that might have been met with hostility if imposed sooner or approached differently.

All that said, the HSE was not in good shape coming into this, and that makes things much more precarious than they needed to be. I think we have about half of the number of intensive care beds per capital as Italy, so it will be much easier for us to fall into that state where the health service is overwhelmed and not everyone can be treated. Incidentally, there are hospitals in the UK already getting to that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,764 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Idbatterim wrote: »
    what Fg? arent they presiding over luxury apartments in dundrum, free housing, outrageous welfare. More intersted in protecting margaret cash and co and the optics, than looking after those that put them in power years ago. They have reaped , what they have sowed...

Oh are you flopped again to not liking FG?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Shinners still frothing at the mouth. Go to bed lads. Get some sleep. No doubt Leo will put his foot in it again soon enough. Ye can relax. He never fails.
    In the meantime, it’s good to know how easily ye are triggered. Great entertainment :D

Three time posting this in one day. People like yourself should be booted off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

He's just answering the phones. He's not frontline. I'm no longer impressed after finding that out.

This is by far the most sensible approach. Most people suspected of having Covid 19 are being triaged over the phone and we need doctors for that.

At the same time, it would be foolish of Leo Varadkar to put himself at high risk of catching the virus by engaging directly with these patients.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭christy c

From Mallow news: "Responding to Leo Varadkar’s return to medicine, Míchaél Martin has confirmed he has retaken his vow of celibacy and will be saying mass on Good Friday"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

What is he actually doing, answering phones ?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

statesaver wrote: »

He is giving medical advice over the phone.

However, given the number of people on here who have claimed that they could do what he is doing, the number of volunteers is going to rise so quickly that he won’t be needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

statesaver wrote: »

It's part of the service where doctors will take calls from members of the public, attempt to triage over the phone, and then recommend an action based on what they've been told.

I really think this is an instance where scepticism says more about the person feeling it; than the person they are sceptical about.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭WashYourHands

I really think this is an instance where scepticism says more about the person feeling it; than the person they are sceptical about.

No it doesn't. Anyone who eats this up is naive or a FG supporter :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

No it doesn't. Anyone who eats this up is naive or a FG supporter :pac:

I'm in latter camp. We live in a cynical world, but I do believe this was the action of someone who recognises that we all need to make an effort over the next 6 weeks to curtail this fúcking thing. For round one at least.

The world has changed; changed utterly.

I'm in latter camp. We live in a cynical world, but I do believe this was the action of someone who recognises that we all need to make an effort over the next 6 weeks to curtail this fúcking thing. For round one at least.

Would you not be least bit concerned he hasnt worked as a doctor in near on a decade?

Like,fair play and all....but i wouldnt let him near kittens until i was sure,he was up to scrath/fully upto speed on all areas

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

pjohnson wrote: »
    Oh are you flopped again to not liking FG?

I dont really like any of the parties. But FG lost a lot of seats, because they think people that would never vote for them, that they look after better than many of the early risers, who deserted them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Crucially it sets an example to other qualified doctors who may have moved on to something different, pharma or whatever, that they can still chip in, for an hour a week or whatever they can manage.

I wouldn't rule out peer pressure either. Doctors are fierce judgemental about each other, just listen to what they'd say about psychiatrists, and he was probably getting a bit of it from his siblings, his fella and maybe even his oul lad.

The PR was certainly a bonus but not the whole story.

The phones thing is a bit of a red herring. GPs have been favouring Covid19 consultations over the phone for weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

This media crap with all these doctors nurses etc riding qin to save us us getting on my wick.

Leo is a waste if space as taoiseach, so I hold out no hope for him playing at doctor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,696 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

This media crap with all these doctors nurses etc riding qin to save us us getting on my wick.

Leo is a waste if space as taoiseach, so I hold out no hope for him playing at doctor.

Can you explain why the sight of retired medical professionals, or those who were living abroad returning to the country at speed and signing up to work in an environment knowing that there is probably a 100% likelihood that they will be exposed to probably the worst virus of the last 100 years gets on your wick?

Also, in what way do you think Leo's performance as a Taoiseach will be a failing as a Dr?

Please be as specific as you can in your answers because I have tried to use my imagination and cannot come up with a rational reason to either point.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Nitrogan

Would you not be least bit concerned he hasnt worked as a doctor in near on a decade?

Like,fair play and all....but i wouldnt let him near kittens until i was sure,he was up to scrath/fully upto speed on all areas

But you'd vote for a party with ZERO experience to run the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Why is Leo rejoining the health service getting 14 pages of opinions?

I just re read it TWENTY FOUR pages of opinions?

Nitrogan wrote: »
    But you'd vote for a party with ZERO experience to run the country?

Indeed....but im old enough to remember FF saying they were only ones with enough experience to manage running country vs FG in 2007 election??

Quite a sucess that turned to be

All of which is immaterial in regards to whether dr varadkar has kept a foot in the game and is upto date with all updates/advances over last 10 years??

Hope for any patients sake,hes studying like fcuk all week to get back to level required

I think a lot of people commenting on Leo returning to medical practice are losing sight of the fact that Covid19 isn't the "only game in town". You can still get hit by a car, fall down the stairs, have a heart attack, cancer patients from yesterday are still cancer patients today, etc. There's a million things that can go wrong with the millions of people who will never catch Covid19. If Leo can put his money where his mouth is and help out there then I say thanks to the man, good on you, it's much appreciated.

My sister has diabetes. She already had diabetes before Covid19 was ever imagined. It's hard for her to see a doctor sometimes. If it gets just 0.01% easier for her because Leo puts in a shift and takes the pressure of the regular 9-5 GPs then what's the problem? If elected to lead the country then there are many ways you can do so. Like the old Billy Bragg song "Days Like These" went - "Is there more to a seat in parliament than sitting on your arse?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

You mispelt chicken in your username.

I'll say no more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 133 ✭✭ijohhj

blanch152 wrote: »
    He is giving medical advice over the phone.

If I got him on the phone he would get a feckin earful, that's for sure.

ijohhj wrote: »
    If I got him on the phone he would get a feckin earful, that's for sure.

I’m sure that he’d appreciate an earful of gratitude. Good on you. The medical professionals need all our support.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Nitrogan

Indeed....but im old enough to remember FF saying they were only ones with enough experience to manage running country vs FG in 2007 election??

Quite a sucess that turned to be

All of which is immaterial in regards to whether dr varadkar has kept a foot in the game and is upto date with all updates/advances over last 10 years??

Hope for any patients sake,hes studying like fcuk all week to get back to level required

Ireland is one of the wealthiest countries in the world thanks to everyone but SF.

What will SF do in government?

Turn Ireland into a sectarian mess like NI, a bankrupt pauper state like Greece or a human tragedy like Venezuela?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Advertisement