Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr. Leo Varadkar rejoins the health service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Runaways wrote: »
    It actually is something anyone can do.
    The people manning the hotline you call aren’t doctors. They ask you a list of predetermined questions about your symptoms and contact and it’s out into an algorithm.
    Depending on the answers a doctor then calls you back.

So yes. Anyone can do it.

....and hopefully this leads to more of those who have unfortunately lost their jobs volunteering to do just that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I think its reminded people that politicians are human, Harris being a case in point. His human side has come out during this.

The abuse politicians get is way over the top. To use Harris as an example, he did not single handily cause the budget overruns on the Childrens Hospital, or lead to a trolley shortage etc.

This is it in a nutshell. The vast vast majority of politicians are fundamentally decent, honest, and hard working people who get into politics because they have a genuine desire to affect change. It’s a very tough job, and they now have to deal with so much venom and spite on social media as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭Field east

Whelo79 wrote: »
    He's answering the phones? Are they looking for more people to do that? I'm not medically qualified but hold an MSc quaification.

If I was allowed I would no problem, and i would be neither looking for or expecting a pat on the back for ding it. Surely a script of questions to ask and steps to take dependent on the callers answer is all it takes??

Sure you , with your logic should be able to fly a helicopter, an airplane, build a house man a subside line, do all the things solicitors do , grow sugarbeet, attend successfully to a sick calf , etc, etc, etc, etc then. Come on d, try an attempt at getting real. Is this another attempt at mud slinging in the hope that some of it will stick. As Nixon said. ‘I know that he did not do it but let him deny it”

s1ippy wrote: »
    He's going to be doing contract tracing, it says it in every article.

A bit of mud slinging there in the hope that some of it may stick for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Well according to you their just doing their job so why do they deserve extra praise?

They are actually risking their lives every day this goes on. They are underpaid for the work they do. They deserve praise because they earn less than a lot of people (me included) and make far more of an impact on people's lives. They also get rightly praised (and not abused) in normal circumstances.

For some reason, politicians get a proper (sometimes nasty) kicking in normal circumstances and then get lauded as being superhuman in these situations.

• Advertisement

I know for a fact that this happened. What did Leo do?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/hospital-denies-hiding-patients-on-trolleys-for-taoiseach-s-visit-1.3463702

To be fair this happened when Cowen was Taoiseach too. But it is always ignored.

It’s an international practice at all levels. What do you do when you are having visitors to your accommodation ? You normally tidy up that part of the house that they may have access to, sweep / Hoover floor, check toilet, provide special food, clean sheets on bed if staying , etc, etc, etc. it seems to be part of our culture which most countries have allso

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

blanch152 wrote: »
    The single thanks your post received says it all.

Some people can't help themselves blanch.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

I think its reminded people that politicians are human, Harris being a case in point. His human side has come out during this.

The abuse politicians get is way over the top. To use Harris as an example, he did not single handily cause the budget overruns on the Childrens Hospital, or lead to a trolley shortage etc.

This.

With the advent of social media and the internet, people think that their opinion actually matters as much as everyone else, no matter what $hite or guff they come out with.
    The anti-Vaxers are a case in point. They are just expressing an 'alternative' view.

As per Leo, dammed if he does, dammed if he doesn't and dammed regardless for sure what the hell.

However, I am sensing people are getting very very tired of the excessive negativity surrounding Leo, especially from SF idiots.

There are many many idiots out there, who are utterly clueless on what government does and their remits and limits of power. They actually think Leo is some dictator that can snap his fingers and 'get stuff done!' when in fact we live in a Republic with huge amounts of checks and balances thrown into the mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,449 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

markodaly wrote: »
    This.

With the advent of social media and the internet, people think that their opinion actually matters as much as everyone else, no matter what $hite or guff they come out with.
    The anti-Vaxers are a case in point. They are just expressing an 'alternative' view.

As per Leo, dammed if he does, dammed if he doesn't and dammed regardless for sure what the hell.

However, I am sensing people are getting very very tired of the excessive negativity surrounding Leo, especially from SF idiots.

There are many many idiots out there, who are utterly clueless on what government does and their remits and limits of power. They actually think Leo is some dictator that can snap his fingers and 'get stuff done!' when in fact we live in a Republic with huge amounts of checks and balances thrown into the mix.

They're angry at life and want to blame someone.

Noone is gonna hold your hand through life.

People in this country need to get that into their skulls.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Runaways wrote: »
    If it’s not a publicity stunt he should forgo the (inevitable) photo op

But you know he won’t

Concannon strikes again.

It’s a publicity stunt.

I’d bet both my bollocks that if he didn’t do the photo op then people would question whether he did anything.

Some people are never happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

They're angry at life and want to blame someone.

Noone is gonna hold your hand through life.

People in this country need to get that into their skulls.

Ah don't worry, their time will come, when SF will be in power and then reality will dawn on them.

I am sure they will take the Trump view of people in the system being Traitors or something when it all goes to ****. A part of me wishes for SF to be handed this pile of $hit in the next few months. I can see MLD et all $hit their pants at the thought of it, because it will lead to a Labour style destruction the next time they come looking for votes.

That is the problem with many of these populist parties, slogans are easy but making a decision in power, another ball game entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Id prefer if he didnt get sick to be honest and just stayed with the day job as he is needed there

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Nothing but a PR stunt. There's UK hospitals looking for vets and dentists to monitor patients, temperature, oxygen, blood pressure, urine output, taking bloods of patients with covid 19. And we have a doctor answering phones here. Why can't he roll up his sleeves (or roll them down) and get stuck in an infectious disease ward.

Apparently Leo told a press conference that he won’t be doing regular media updates or photo-ops regarding going back on the register.

The begrudgers and the cranks need a new stick it seems.

https://twitter.com/smurphytv/status/1247132512700239873?s=21

He’s even completed a day already. Sounds like he wanted to keep this as quiet as possible.

There goes the ‘PR stunt’ angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭bunderoon

Faugheen wrote: »

He’s even completed a day already. Sounds like he wanted to keep this as quiet as possible.

Because he said so - publicly?
    lol, are you serious?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Apparently Leo told a press conference that he won’t be doing regular media updates or photo-ops regarding going back on the register.

Not doing PR is obviously just a PR stunt, or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Speak for yourself, you small minded oaf.

I don't agree with him doing it, but I'm not being like you about it.

What exactly do you mean?

The poster stated that he was putting himself at risk - he clearly is not. This is a publicity grab.

The part about taking out the government was tongue-in-cheek (maybe that went over your head, cretin)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

micosoft wrote: »
    But it wasn't a boom when he started. In fact FG and Enda Kenny (remember him) inherited an economy in tatters and mass unemployment. Your framing is simply untrue along with the silly hyperbole "colossal human cost" ffs...

are / were you paying two thousand a month for a one bed apartment in dublin? probably not. Assume you werent on a trolley for days either. People have short memories. And I stand by what I said, FG might claim to be the best to manage the economy, the might actually also be that. But they are crap. ridiculous top vat rate, ridiculous marginal rate of tax, ridiculous insurance, child care, housing costs. This country could do a lot better than it does, if it wasnt appallingly run!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Field east wrote: »
    As Nixon said. ‘I know that he did not do it but let him deny it”

That was Lyndon Johnson and in a lot more colourful language than that ;)

• Advertisement

of course he wasnt, the knows the abuse he normally gets over it. It makes total sense to do what he is doing, at least he learns, eventually... A leopard doesnt change its spots!

Not doing PR is obviously just a PR stunt, or something.

the entire country knows he is doing this, hardly needs to be hammered home! Its not like he is doing it unbeknownst to anyone and nobody will every know :rolleyes:

He isnt batman for god sake!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

But we've heard about..
    In fact, there is a picture ... From a tweet. One you just quoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭lolokeogh

PMSL "not a PR stunt"..sure is,and one he knows he has to play down,a half day a week answering phone,fair play to him,and hes not letting anyone take pics,hard for the master of spin,Although you do get a giggle when his spin docs make up those fake twitter accounts and then talk to themselfs bigging them up.now fair play to him,im sure 1 half day a week is better than nothing at all,everyones helping,all those that have returned from oz and other countrys,people like myself gone back in to health care.oh by the way was because i him and his cronies that i left the world of health care in the first place..thats for another day,now back to this been a PR stunt,to right it is.and well you know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭anewme

blanch152 wrote: »
    The single thanks your post received says it all.
    Some people can't help themselves blanch.

In all fairness, what have the number of thanks got to do with anything? (and I am not taking it out on you Blanch)

There comes a time when doing the right thing is more important than how it is perceived, or how you spin it. Or how many thanks you get. Actions speak louder than words. We all need to be accountable for our own actions and how they impact others.

totally agree, years of piss poor governance and now a small deed and people think many of us fcuked by him and the poor governance, will change our minds! Look, absolutely, do it because he thinks its the right thing to do, will increase popularity or both. People have very short attention spans and are fickle. It may well increase his popularity, which dont forget, was very few a few months ago, for good reason.

He should do whatever is in hiw own interest, just dont expect me or many other workers I know, to forget all his hot air and waffle...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Idbatterim wrote: »

He isnt batman for god sake!

Batman wears a Varadker t-shirt under his batsuit.

True fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭anewme

totally agree, years of piss poor governance and now a small deed and people think many of us fcuked by him and the poor governance, will change our minds! Look, absolutely, do it because he thinks its the right thing to do, will increase popularity or both. People have very short attention spans and are fickle. It may well increase his popularity, which dont forget, was very few a few months ago, for good reason.

He should do whatever is in hiw own interest, just dont expect me or many other workers I know, to forget all his hot air and waffle...

I'm not talking about Leo here - I think he is doing his best in the circumstances.

It's people posting for thanks about leadership and helping people when their own fck you attitude is part of the problem.

Not a FG voter myself but fair play to him. I tend to be of the opinion that if someone is doing something helpful for the wrong reason then the intent behind the act doesn't outweight the positive outcome from the act itself. It's almost certainly both a PR stunt and an empathetic action on Leo's part but the outcome is all that matters. He's showing leadership, bravery and pragmatism. Can't fault him for that in anyway. Also let's be honest, if FG won an outright majority in the last election he wouldn't be doing this right now so those trying to say this is in no way a PR stunt and is entirely an act of selflessness, well, I have a bag of magic beans I'd like to sell you.

If LV was Taoiseach in a new gov no one would expect him to do what he is now doing because of the complex task that a new gov prob throws up re tackling the virus , preparing the economy to get it kick started again , new laws needed, reviewing the various schemes , etc, that are a response to the virus , etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Didn’t you vote for FG in the last election?

Advertisement