Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hedge Recommendations

Options
  • 05-04-2020 8:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭

So I am looking to grow a hedge along one part of my house. Its 60m long and is at side of garden and then you have stream a stream with nearly no water, unless you have a huge storm and then it is full.....

I have other hedges which are beech but I am looking for a change, also something to grow faster.

THis side of house looks out into a field, normally grain in it. Live in Meath aand flat so you can have strong winds coming over and hitting our house first, so looking for something to provide a bit of a block to wind as well.

My wife liked the look of Red Robin (Photinia fraseri) but not many places seem to stock and looks expensive?

Any ideas? thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,430 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Whatever you choose you would really need to be looking at bare root plants as it would be expensive to do that length with container grown plants. It is now (just) too late in the year to buy bare root, you need to be getting them between November and March.

Do you want a field hedgerow appropriate to the countryside, with lots of interest and good for wildlife, or do you want a more formal hedge? Photinia Red Robin is not unusual, should be easy enough to obtain, though it is not great for very exposed/windy sites.

Have a look on the Future Forests site for ideas for hedging - they are closed at the moment, like everywhere, but their plants are good. They do a container Photinia, but the smallest size is only a 9cm pot which would be a very tiny plant, I think you would go for a bigger size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

looksee wrote: »
    Whatever you choose you would really need to be looking at bare root plants as it would be expensive to do that length with container grown plants. It is now (just) too late in the year to buy bare root, you need to be getting them between November and March.

Do you want a field hedgerow appropriate to the countryside, with lots of interest and good for wildlife, or do you want a more formal hedge? Photinia Red Robin is not unusual, should be easy enough to obtain, though it is not great for very exposed/windy sites.

Have a look on the Future Forests site for ideas for hedging - they are closed at the moment, like everywhere, but their plants are good. They do a container Photinia, but the smallest size is only a 9cm pot which would be a very tiny plant, I think you would go for a bigger size.

Yes it would be bare root, just planning now.

It is very exposed and very windy. Kind of looking for some sort of colour as al green beech around rest of house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Preference would be good for wildlife, but not thorns!! when I grew up I spent my life losing football to thorny trees around our house!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,071 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Photinia is best against a fence or wall IMO.

Guelder Rose?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭macraignil

The common laurel is the fastest grower I think but the photinia red robin does have more interesting colour. The red robin is a bit less tolerant of exposure alright. If the ground is a bit wet then hornbeam is a good alternative to beach and is a bit hardier. It should be cheaper than the photinia red robin. Holly and privet might also be options and if you can find it I think olearia looks well. Holly does have the prickly leaves but might be one of the better choices for wildlife.

• Advertisement
Advertisement