Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teleconferencing Family and Friends - Options

Options
  • 06-04-2020 1:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭

Since we've all been kept apart I'm wondering what video services others are using for keeping in touch with family and friends? There are so many free services out there it's hard to find out which is the best. I've been a long time user of Skype, and have always found it quite good. We use go-to meeting and zoom at work and that is pretty good at as well - so much so that lads set up a social zoom on Friday evening which was a bit of a break from the ordinary and a little bit of fun. Call quality was great tbf.

There are loads of options out there, free, but I'm having a hard time trying to decipher which has the edge:
    WhatsApp
    Facebook messenger
    Google Hangouts
    Google Duo
    Go-to meeting
    Cisco WebEx
    Viber
    Houseparty

I've always thought the video and call quality on WhatsApp was really terrible but as for the others, I've not noticed much difference... Which service are you using and why?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I took part in a quiz with my extended in-laws on Zoom last night. It worked out really well! I was apprehensive that with 8 or 9 teams of 2-3 people, that we'd be talking over each other and that there'd be lots of freezing but that didn't happen. It was very chill actually and we could all be heard. One thing to note with Zoom that anyone reading might or might not be aware of is that the host has to pay to hold the meeting. I think it cost him €20. He didn't ask for payment but next time, we'll likely all chip in. Anyway, I'd highly recommend to people organising something like this. I can't speak to the usefulness of other platforms though.

This coming Friday, my hub is getting together with friends and doing a virtual pub session, presumably on Zoom again. I'm not sure how it will go. I'll report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭.red.

. One thing to note with Zoom that anyone reading might or might not be aware of is that the host has to pay to hold the meeting. I think it cost him €20. He didn't ask for payment but next time, we'll likely all chip in.

Zoom has a basic package that's free, upto 100 people but with a 40 minute call limit.
    You can hang up and call again for another 40mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I took part in a quiz with my extended in-laws on Zoom last night. It worked out really well! I was apprehensive that with 8 or 9 teams of 2-3 people, that we'd be talking over each other and that there'd be lots of freezing but that didn't happen. It was very chill actually and we could all be heard. One thing to note with Zoom that anyone reading might or might not be aware of is that the host has to pay to hold the meeting. I think it cost him €20. He didn't ask for payment but next time, we'll likely all chip in. Anyway, I'd highly recommend to people organising something like this. I can't speak to the usefulness of other platforms though.

This coming Friday, my hub is getting together with friends and doing a virtual pub session, presumably on Zoom again. I'm not sure how it will go. I'll report back.

Zoom is the best all rounder out there at the minute in my opinion.
    As already stated the limitation on a free host account is a 40 minute time limit.
    You can upgrade to a monthly plan for less than €20 a month and host as many meetings as you want per month for as long as you want so long as the host is present.

We've also used Skype, Google Hangouts and WhatsApp over the past few weeks depending on the number of people involved speed of organisation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

On my phone, I've been using Whatsapp and Houseparty. The latter tends to freeze a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

On my phone, I've been using Whatsapp and Houseparty. The latter tends to freeze a bit.

Zoom is the best imo. Use it for our poker nights, with pokerstar EU.

Good quality, no lag so long as your internet is decent and you can add backgrounds which is fun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Buttros

Can you call more than one person at a time on whatsapp? Thanks

Buttros wrote: »
    Can you call more than one person at a time on whatsapp? Thanks

You can have up to four people on a whatsapp video/voice call.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwixsEIQ7eY

• Registered Users Posts: 12,735 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Whereby is excellent. Real easy to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'm using Bebo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

kippy wrote: »
    Zoom is the best all rounder out there at the minute in my opinion.
    As already stated the limitation on a free host account is a 40 minute time limit.
    You can upgrade to a monthly plan for less than €20 a month and host as many meetings as you want per month for as long as you want so long as the host is present.

We've also used Skype, Google Hangouts and WhatsApp over the past few weeks depending on the number of people involved speed of organisation.
    I think the problem with getting people to dial in every 40mins is that it introduces a break in the conversation. For a pub-like chat you'll get a few that will call it a day at the 40mins, whereas without the break, the conversation can continue to flow.

Still really haven't determined what the USP of each of the different services are though.

• Advertisement

I think the problem with getting people to dial in every 40mins is that it introduces a break in the conversation. For a pub-like chat you'll get a few that will call it a day at the 40mins, whereas without the break, the conversation can continue to flow.

Still really haven't determined what the USP of each of the different services are though.
    I don't disagree with that but for the price of 2 or 3 or 4 pints a month depending on where you get your pints you have that limitation removed and only one person in the group needs to have a paid account.
    The big pluses with zoom (in a non corporate environment, there are more in a corporate environment) in my opinion:
    Cross OS and Platform (tablet, mobile, laptop, dedicated hardware for VC) support.
    No need for participants to have a specific account.
    Large numbers of participants allowed.
    Dedicated dial in numbers for people not comfortable with video/tech , granted this is currently only available on paid accounts.
    Easy setup and join meetings.

There's not one USP but a combination of many.

Advertisement