Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile number deleted. THREE

Options
  • 06-04-2020 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi all,

Hoping someone may be able to help! I cancelled by bill pay account with three due to a number of reasons.

However, my own fault is that i didn't transfer my number in time to different provider. So my bill was cancelled but also my mobile number was also removed. And now they're saying it can't be restored at all.

Have had this number for about 15 years so it's a disaster!

Anyone ever heard of this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Just send new number to your contacts, not really a disaster, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ShaneIrish5

It's not ideal. Just seeing if anyone has any experience with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,984 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Hi all,

Hoping someone may be able to help! I cancelled by bill pay account with three due to a number of reasons.

However, my own fault is that i didn't transfer my number in time to different provider. So my bill was cancelled but also my mobile number was also removed. And now they're saying it can't be restored at all.

Have had this number for about 15 years so it's a disaster!

Anyone ever heard of this?

Very simple really, you needed to either port out prior to cancellation notice expired, in this situation go to a 3 store (when they reopen), get a prepay sim card (temp number), call 1913 and request your number is put onto the temp preapy sim card, it's called an internal port. Once completed, your free to port out or just remain on prepay. The temp sim will cost €20, which is fir the credit.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Yes, it seems to be automatic with all the service providers. If you cancel a number and do not transfer it to another provider, then if there is no activity on it for 90 days it will be deleted and there is virtually no way of getting it back. The only way was to speak physically to a person in a Vodafone / 3 / Eir shop and they could use their password to get onto someone in their customer service and get it reconnected. That option is gone now with the closure and you will not get anywhere yourself with customer service so the answer is unfortunately no

Cheers Dempo. I actually got the prepay sim from Three and called them to do the transfer, but they have said as it was cancelled, they can't do anything and the number is gone. I presumed there was some way of getting the number back?

• Advertisement

Cheers Dempo. I actually got the prepay sim from Three and called them to do the transfer, but they have said as it was cancelled, they can't do anything and the number is gone. I presumed there was some way of getting the number back?

Sounds like you have your answer right there

Nonsense, 3 can and will transfer the number, its called an internal port which by default can only be completed by the care team, can't be processed online, be insistant, I do suspect care are being bombarded at the moment with all stores closed

Seems so.. But just very surprised it can't be restored.

The first guy i spoke to with three about it said - it can be done but it's a pain for customer service to do with data protection etc and to call back when i get the sim.

So when i called back, got a completely different response. My sense is it can be done if i get hold of the right person.

Totally agree. No doubt they are under pressure. Thanks for the advice, will keep trying!

Thanks Dempo. Sound's like your confident too which helps!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Timfy

Once the number is cancelled and the requisite 90 day period has passed, it goes back in to the pool of available numbers for new subscribers. It is not possible to pick your own number any more as there was a period where people were requesting "Golden Numbers" i.e. 087 777 7777 and 087 [your landline no.] and then selling them on for huge profits.

Unless you can find someone dodgy in Threes provisioning dept (which I doubt as it's instant dismissal for them if found out) then I'm afraid that the number is no longer yours.

TBH it's not a big deal to send one text to all your contacts advising them of your new number if you are an individual... more of a mess if you are a business with printed letterheads, business cards etc.

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Thanks Timfy. The number has only been gone for 7 days, so hoping that will help?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Timfy

If it's only 7 days you may be in luck... if it's 90 days +7 days then maybe manage your expectations.
    Thanks Timfy. The number has only been gone for 7 days, so hoping that will help?

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Seems so.. But just very surprised it can't be restored.

The first guy i spoke to with three about it said - it can be done but it's a pain for customer service to do with data protection etc and to call back when i get the sim.

So when i called back, got a completely different response. My sense is it can be done if i get hold of the right person.

Yes indeed the care guy confirmed my advice and it can be done and is a pain for care re GDPR, again, it is straight forward as long as the prepay sim you got was properly registered, Ie, your name, DOB, address. Also how it was topped up and I advise make 2 calls and get those numbers to answer. Get back to 1913, your previous account details should match details on prepay sim, there are no excuses, get it done sooner rather than later, don't be fobbed off re visit 3 store, there closed and can't process these requests regardless

Timfy wrote: »
    Once the number is cancelled and the requisite 90 day period has passed, it goes back in to the pool of available numbers for new subscribers. It is not possible to pick your own number any more as there was a period where people were requesting "Golden Numbers" i.e. 087 777 7777 and 087 [your landline no.] and then selling them on for huge profits.

Unless you can find someone dodgy in Threes provisioning dept (which I doubt as it's instant dismissal for them if found out) then I'm afraid that the number is no longer yours.

TBH it's not a big deal to send one text to all your contacts advising them of your new number if you are an individual... more of a mess if you are a business with printed letterheads, business cards etc.

Hi, there, in a nut shell, networks are not permitted to recycle number for a minimum12 months and normally don't re issue /recycle for a further 8 months

Much appreciated for the advice. The latest i was just given now over support was that there is a system upgrade and it's not possible at present to do this. Frustrating to say the least

Advertisement