Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing Energy Supplier

• 06-04-2020 11:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭

My contract is up on the 24th April with Energia (2 years into it) and I am looking to go with Bord Gais as its the best offer for me on Bonkers.

Question is will Bord Gais wait until the 24th to change me over or what happens here?

I don't want to be caught out with a cancellation charge.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,433 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you place an order now it'll go through as soon as its processed, which will almost definitely be before the 24th. Wait until then to be safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭PCros

Is there any truth in this under point number 1...

https://www.bonkers.ie/guides/gas-electricity/switching-energy-supplier-frequently-asked-questions/

I've been with them nearly two years but the article states any contract is only one year.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭nothing

PCros wrote: »
    Is there any truth in this under point number 1...

https://www.bonkers.ie/guides/gas-electricity/switching-energy-supplier-frequently-asked-questions/

I've been with them nearly two years but the article states any contract is only one year.:confused:

It states "most" are 1 year.

Looking at my bills the price went up after year 1 so I assume it rolled over into a generic plan.

I'm assuming that's a 1 year contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Bojill

Looking at my bills the price went up after year 1 so I assume it rolled over into a generic plan.

I'm assuming that's a 1 year contract.

Some offers are 2 year contracts, but the reduced rate is only for the 1st 12 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Squiggle

My contract is up on the 24th April with Energia (2 years into it) and I am looking to go with Bord Gais as its the best offer for me on Bonkers.

Question is will Bord Gais wait until the 24th to change me over or what happens here?

I don't want to be caught out with a cancellation charge.

Switch on the 25th and submit a meter reading to BG who will then bill you from that point . Energia will send you a final bill. It's seamless and I've done it several times.

I just found this on my welcome letter from two years ago...

"If you cancel your service any time after the cooling period and within 12 months of registration, a termination fee of €50 per fuel will apply."

I'm outside of the 12 months so I guess I'm good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

A quick phone call to your current supplier will almost certainly elicit an offer that will be very similar to a new supplier.

Then put a reminder on your phone to call them in 12 months for another offer

How do you find out your contract? I haven’t a clue only that it was for a year 6 years ago.

silver2020 wrote: »
    A quick phone call to your current supplier will almost certainly elicit an offer that will be very similar to a new supplier.

Yep I emailed Energia and they did confirm I am out of contract. Good idea just going to set myself a reminder for next year.
    How do you find out your contract? I haven’t a clue only that it was for a year 6 years ago.

Had to email them. But there is nothing only that verbiage that I could find on any of my documents with them. You should definitely take a look at switching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Maximum fixed contract is 24 months, but almost all are 12 months - basically after 12 months a 5 minute phone call or 5 minutes online will save you av. 20% off electricity & gas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Bojill

silver2020 wrote: »

BG usually do, but this year the offer was awful.

Advertisement