Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

#ibelieveher part II

Options
  • 06-04-2020 12:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭

I remember a few weeks ago this story coming out about the singer Duffy (of whom I know little to nothing about, I was abroad when she blew up) and thinking it sounded, at best, a bit far fetched. A further explanation of it only gets murkier. Particularly seeing as the original post was deleted.
    It was my birthday, I was drugged at a restaurant, I was drugged then for four weeks and travelled to a foreign country. I can’t remember getting on the plane and came round in the back of a travelling vehicle. I was put into a hotel room and the perpetrator returned and raped me. I remember the pain and trying to stay conscious in the room after it happened. I was stuck with him for another day, he didn’t look at me, I was to walk behind him, I was somewhat conscious and withdrawn. I could have been disposed of by him. I contemplated running away to the neighbouring city or town, as he slept, but had no cash and I was afraid he would call the police on me, for running away, and maybe they would track me down as a missing person. I do not know how I had the strength to endure those days, I did feel the presence of something that helped me stay alive. I flew back with him, I stayed calm and as normal as someone could in a situation like that, and when I got home, I sat, dazed, like a zombie. I knew my life was in immediate danger, he made veiled confessions of wanting to kill me. With what little strength I had, my instinct was to then run, to run and find somewhere to live that he could not find.

The perpetrator drugged me in my own home in the four weeks, I do not know if he raped me there during that time, I only remember coming round in the car in the foreign country and the escape that would happen by me fleeing in the days following that. I do not know why I was not drugged overseas; it leads me to think I was given a class A drug and he could not travel with it.

Now, whether you believe her or not is a personal opinion.

Do I believe that a famous artiste was drugged and kidnapped from her own birthday party, guided through an airport (handy that she had brought her passport to the party) all the way to a rural foreign hotel, brought her back to Britain and held her hostage in her own home for an additional four weeks? Without her management, her agent, her family raising the alarm? (the amount of commitments an active recording artist would be expected to keep in a month- recording sessions, interviews, meetings, gigs, would be phenomenal, her label would be banging down the door to find her). And with no mention of having sought a prosecution against this man and any accomplices?

Of course I don't believe all that. You would want to be born yesterday. Did she go through some sort of traumatic event? Maybe. But the exaggeration doesn't help anyone's cause.

Yet check out the loons commenting on it here.

https://www.thejournal.ie/duffy-rape-ordeal-instagram-5067316-Apr2020/

Let's be honest, say a renowned loon like, I dunno, Gemma O'Doherty, dreamt up that one. How many of the #ibelieveher crowd would row behind?

There is a certain subsection of our society that has decided that in no way, shape or form can we doubt the story of a woman, that there is something sick in the mindset of someone who would do so. And that a woman who doubts another woman is the lowest creature on earth.

With nutjobs like this floating around it makes you wonder if rape trials should be conducted by a special criminal court style judicial panel rather than a jury. Imagine being falsely accused of rape and having, say, a PBP activist on your jury.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Stay classy, OP.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

I saw the geogrid this morning, just over the horizon and only for a split second, but I saw it......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭jimmyrustle

Stay classy, OP.

See, this here.

It is a story that, at the very least, is blatantly full of holes.

It would be unbelievable enough for a regular citizen to go missing for a month without a family member or an employer raising an alarm.

But a recording artist?

You might be on the wrong side of an accusation one day and remember your comment Emmet.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Sonic_exyouth

I remember a few weeks ago this story coming out about the singer Duffy (of whom I know little to nothing about, I was abroad when she blew up) and thinking it sounded, at best, a bit far fetched. A further explanation of it only gets murkier. Particularly seeing as the original post was deleted.

Now, whether you believe her or not is a personal opinion.

Do I believe that a famous artiste was drugged and kidnapped from her own birthday party, guided through an airport (handy that she had brought her passport to the party)

Have not read the rest of this - but - this bit
    I can let you know that in general, high profile musicians who tour a lot do not keep their own passports. They are handed over to management or tour management, for safe keeping, because they are too essential to be allowed go missing.
    Members are handed them going through passport control, then quickly relieved of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Reading the comments on the Journal, for any story, is horrific.
    Troll after troll after troll.

• Advertisement

Have not read the rest of this - but - this bit
    I can let you know that in general, high profile musicians who tour a lot do not keep their own passports. They are handed over to management or tour management, for safe keeping, because they are too essential to be allowed go missing.
    Members are handed them going through passport control, then quickly relieved of them.

So either blatantly didn't happen or was committed by a member of her entourage.

Why a member of her entourage would bring her through an airport, saturated in CCTC, incapacitated, for a few days, then return her to her home in the UK for a month of captivity, when he could have skipped the foreign part and went straight to this. It gets even stranger.

Reading the comments on the Journal, for any story, is horrific.
    Troll after troll after troll.

It's a shame they got rid of up/ down voting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

She isn't under any obligation to provide a comprehensive and complete account just so random internet posters are convinced of her story.

It's a very strange story, so far, but I think most people recognise that she's suffered severe trama and putting her on strict proof at this stage doesn't help.

In time a clearer picture may emerge. In the interim I wish her all the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,940 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

With nutjobs like this floating around it makes you wonder if rape trials should be conducted by a special criminal court style judicial panel rather than a jury.

It doesn’t make me wonder any such thing tbh. Nutjobs with a particular agenda of their own have existed in all societies throughout human history.

Imagine being falsely accused of rape and having, say, a PBP activist on your jury.

Just because one person makes up shìt, doesn’t give you a license to go making up shìt of your own, especially if you’re going to criticise anyone else for doing so.

It doesn’t make me wonder any such thing tbh. Nutjobs with a particular agenda of their own have existed in all societies throughout human history.

Just because one person makes up shìt, doesn’t give you a license to go making up shìt of your own, especially if you’re going to criticise anyone else for doing so.

You can't seriously be suggesting anybody who thinks an account of a rape should never be questioned should be allowed sit on a jury.

• Advertisement

You can't seriously be suggesting anybody who thinks an account of a rape should never be questioned should be allowed sit on a jury.

I can. It’s no different to your suggestion that they shouldn’t. The whole point of a jury trial is that the accused is tried by a jury of their peers - ordinary members of the public, with all their own prejudices and biases. Of course one can ask them to put their prejudices aside and judge the accused in each case on the basis of the evidence before them, but that’s an idealistic notion rather than anything grounded in reality.

I dont see any reason for her to lie?

Seems to have completly fcuked her up to extent she withdrew for a decade

Quite how someone could come to.conclusion such a person is an attention seeker is beyond me,

Would it been alot handier for her to appear on one those reality shows for attention??

Quite how someone could come to.conclusion such a person is an attention seeker is beyond me,

Because of the improbably pointless logistics of it all.

Why whisk her abroad, with all the risk of that, when the offender seemingly had easy access to her home.

Where the hell were her friends, family and, most glaringly, record label/ agents when she was being held captive for a month heavily sedated?

Would it been alot handier for her to appear on one those reality shows for attention??

In the metoo era, this washes better.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

Were the lads who took her wearing MAGA hats?

Because of the improbably pointless logistics of it all.

Why whisk her abroad, with all the risk of that, when the offender seemingly had easy access to her home.

Where the hell were her friends, family and, most glaringly, record label/ agents when she was being held captive for a month heavily sedated?

In the metoo era, this washes better.

It does sound remarkably similar, one could almost say her story was inspired by an earlier allegation of abduction that made the headlines in international media -

Chloe Ayling kidnapper sentenced to 16 years in prison

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Were her family or friends not looking for her over the 4 weeks she disappeared from the country? How long do you have to be missing before it becomes a matter for the police? - assuming it is reported I guess.

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    Were her family or friends not looking for her over the 4 weeks she disappeared from the country? How long do you have to be missing before it becomes a matter for the police? - assuming it is reported I guess.

Police will generally search for a person reported missing immediately if the family or friends insist they may be at risk.

There's an old urban legend about waiting 24 hours to report which is just that, nonsense.

It does sound remarkably similar, one could almost say her story was inspired by an earlier allegation of abduction that made the headlines in international media -

Chloe Ayling kidnapper sentenced to 16 years in prison

Another nonsense case that never would have seen trial in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,385 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    She isn't under any obligation to provide a comprehensive and complete account just so random internet posters are convinced of her story.

It's a very strange story, so far, but I think most people recognise that she's suffered severe trama and putting her on strict proof at this stage doesn't help.

In time a clearer picture may emerge. In the interim I wish her all the best.

Isn't this exactly the point? She's under no obligation to say anything to convince some online Columbo who thinks they've found the flaws in the story so it must not be true.

I've no idea if it's true or not. But I think it says a lot about you when you read a story and look for ways to disprove it. I, on the other hand, acknowledge that I don't know one way or the other (and will almost certainly never know one way or the other) but I'd at least show a bit of compassion.

If you read that account and compassion doesn't even enter into your mind, then there's something wrong with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Might it have been someone she was in a relationship with?

• Advertisement

[QUOTE=El_Duderino 09;113074511

I've no idea if it's true or not. But I think it says a lot about you when you read a story and look for ways to disprove it. I, on the other hand, acknowledge that I don't know one way or the other (and will almost certainly never know one way or the other) but I'd at least show a bit of compassion. [/quote]

In today's world it pays to be naturally skeptical about anything and everything.

I remember during the election, a AAA or PBP member complained about an election poster being burned in Kilbarrack.

They had the video of said burning.

The fire brigade were called.

Now, one has to ask themselves, what are the chances of a member of said political party happening upon the scene of a hung up poster on fire, and getting out the camera fast enough to record it, but not happening across the perpetrator of the fire.

On your typical blustery February, a fire like that would struggle to catch, unless helped by an accelerant, which would burn it up in no time.

Either way, the perpetrator won't be far away.

Why would you even call the fire brigade over something like this? The electricity pole is more than capable of resisting a small bit of burning corriboard.

If you read that account and compassion doesn't even enter into your mind, then there's something wrong with you.

If you read something that far fetched and take it at face value I've some second hand face masks to sell you. If you want to share a story, fine. but don't share half a story, as it makes one look disingenuous to anyone with more than half a brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭conorhal

Isn't this exactly the point? She's under no obligation to say anything to convince some online Columbo who thinks they've found the flaws in the story so it must not be true.

Well then perhaps don't post about it on social media where you'll invite that speculation and engagement?

This story sound like the delusional and disordered thinking of a paranoid schizophrenic. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the next you hear about this case is a statement from family that she's 'unwell' and under a Brittany Spears like conservatorship.

In today's world it pays to be naturally skeptical about anything and everything.
    If you read something that far fetched and take it at face value I've some second hand face masks to sell you. If you want to share a story, fine. but don't share half a story, as it makes one look disingenuous to anyone with more than half a brain.

No idea what the poster story brought to the conversation. But to address the rest of your post I'll refer you to the very first line of the post you quoted. "I've no idea if it's true or not". That was me showing scepticism.

You also quoted me saying " I, on the other hand, acknowledge that I don't know one way or the other (and will almost certainly never know one way or the other)". That was me showing humility enough to not pretend I can figure out what happened and what didn't happen, based on naff all evidence.

And if you're honest, you'll acknowledge you have naff all evidence. All the evidence you have put together, is naff all.

So I presume you understand how daft your comment about me taking the story at face value was. If not, I've a second hand face mask to sell you. - Hint, the first line of the post you quoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Did her family or management report her missing?

That's the thing. A private citizen would have trouble going off grid for a month. An active recording artist, with all the commitments that entails, forget it.

conorhal wrote: »
    Well then perhaps don't post about it on social media where you'll invite that speculation and engagement?

This story sound like the delusional and disordered thinking of a paranoid schizophrenic. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the next you hear about this case is a statement from family that she's 'unwell' and under a Brittany Spears like conservatorship.

Maybe that will be the next thing we hear. I don't know. But I cringe when I see people do amateur psychiatry. It undermines your case when you do it.

If the story was believable people would have nothing but sympathy and compassion for her.

LOL. Totally disagree. The people who fancy themselves to be online Columbos, would take exactly the same position - pretending they know what happened.

Their position would be completely consistent, as would mine. I wouldn't pretend to know what happened just because of one person's story.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Only my two cents but I think it never happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Might it have been someone she was in a relationship with?

There's no way a stranger could have done this if it indeed did happen as described.

It would have to be a someone close to the singer; a relation, someone she was in a relationship with or someone who was part of her entourage. Otherwise there would have been people looking for her.

Her relations, friends, colleagues etc. mightn't be concerned if she 'took a month long break' with someone she knew well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,559 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

conorhal wrote: »

That's what I thought reading the OP, she maybe needed to be sedated for her own protection

Advertisement