Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unable to login to PSN on wifi but can when using data

Options
  • 06-04-2020 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Unable to sign in to the Playstation network for nearly two days now. It seems that across all my devices, the option to login to the Playstation network is disabled and I'm getting different errors when trying to login on the console, through the website on my laptop and through the app on my phone. However, when I use data instead of my home wifi, I seem to be able to login without any difficulty or errors.

Never had this problem before. All has been working fine for months on this wifi.

Wondering if it is a problem with closed ports but I have logged into the router settings on my laptop and in 'IP and Port filtering', it says 'No filtering rules applied' both for inbound and outbound traffic.

So I'm stumped! Any idea how this can be solved or what might have brought it about?

ISP is Virgin btw.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭kalamityjim

Also, have tried logging in using another of the accounts set up on the console and unable to login using that either.

NP-40833-8 is the error I get when I test internet connection. Connects to the internet fine but faiks at the PSN signin part

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Niska

Maybe your Virgin IP is blocked by SOny?

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Ps4-connectiviry/m-p/4079120

Try https://whatismyipaddress.com/blacklist-check to see if the public IP is black listed.

Niska wrote: »

Thanks! Yeah had thought blacklisting on the Playstation side was the issue even though no idea why I would be. I ran a check and seems I'm blacklisted on dnsbl.spfbl.net and their website tells me it's cos I don't have a valid FCrDNS. No idea what that means. The jargon-heavy explanation on their site seems to say I don't have control over my email domain server... ??? My only email is gmail and yahoo! Would that mean this is a problem on Virgin's side? That I've been blacklisted by Sony due to some security irregularities with Virgin routers? Cos that forum you gave a link to seems to show that this is very common with Virgin customers.

Then again, I tried that akamai reputation lookup site, which seemingly is what Playstation uses to decide if IPs are dangerous and that told me my IP is fine.

Of course, tried Virgin already and they say it's a Playstation thing. Tried Playstation and was left on hold for over an hour only for them to kill the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,975 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm just gonna ask, have you tried power cycling the router and see if it assigns you a new IP? I'd imagine Virgin, like most, use dynamic.

I'm just gonna ask, have you tried power cycling the router and see if it assigns you a new IP? I'd imagine Virgin, like most, use dynamic.

I've restarted the router and even switched it off for a few hours without any luck. I have not reset it to factory settings though - is that what you mean?
    From reading on the Virgin Media message boards in the above link however, it seems to me like they don't use dynamic but I could be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,975 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I've restarted the router and even switched it off for a few hours without any luck. I have not reset it to factory settings though - is that what you mean?
    From reading on the Virgin Media message boards in the above link however, it seems to me like they don't use dynamic but I could be wrong.

Oh no, I can't recommend resetting to factory, it's not something I would do myself unless nothing was working! Strange issue. And bad timing, getting someone elses PS4 and seeing if that could connect might narrow down the issue. It's definitely pointing towards Virgin, as it wouldn't work on 4G if it was the PS4. I'd have the PS4 connected to the Wi-Fi and I'd be asking them to check it live and see what's happening. The person answering the phone won't be able to do it, but they canshould get their second level support to check. Ask them for an email thread so you can include Sony support and they can talk to each other. Might not be allowed, GDPR and all that, but I did it for a customer in my last job once all parties were aware of their role and were ok with it.

Is there someone you can ask to sign in with your details on their own Wi-Fi (if you trust them - phone call with details preferably)? If so, and they can successfully sign in on their Wi-Fi, it is further proof to put to Virgin. Start putting in phrases like "I'm not receiving the service I'm paying for when I have proven this works on a separate Wi-Fi network". Tech support love to pawn it off if it's not easy to solve, unless you're lucky and get the right combination of first and second line support personnel who actually care about their jobs.

Advertisement