Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On line shopping during the pandemic?

Options
  • 29-03-2020 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Can someone please tell me why I have only seen two Irish companies close their online store since Friday night? A lot more of them are still advertising their sales today. How are these deemed essential items? Nowhere on the list of essential retailers does it say the likes of clothing and coffee and furniture are essential items? Please correct me if I am wrong. Am I missing something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

maybe they are warehoused and dispatched from another country. we will need need companies to exist and employment after this is over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Or the orders are queued until they can be fulfilled.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 soo35

maybe they are warehoused and dispatched from another country. we will need need companies to exist and employment after this is over.
    I did state Irish retailers. There is still a tonne of non essential freight coming from the UK as it seems Next are the only UK company who have completely shut down. Social distancing essentially cannot take place in a warehouse situation. Talking from experience. It is not only that company's warehouse that is a worry, it is also the postal and courier services that are at risk here with all non essential items being shipped. My question was are these retailers on the list of essential services? Because I cannot see where or how??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

soo35 wrote: »
    Can someone please tell me why I have only seen three Irish companies close their online store since Friday night? A lot more of them are still advertising their sales today. How are these deemed essential items? Nowhere on the list of essential retailers does it say the likes of clothing and coffee and furniture are essential items? Please correct me if I am wrong. Am I missing something from the list?
    Off licenses are considered essential. Who knows how they come up with the list. As mentioned above the economy has to keep ticking over somehow.

• Site Banned Posts: 93 ✭✭Marsden35

I'm still selling non essential items and shipping them out myself. Got a post box at the end of the street. I scurry out in the evening when no one is about.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

In Friday's announcements I though they expressly asked businesses to provide goods online if they were not considered essential retailers:confused:

Beasty wrote: »
    In Friday's announcements I though they expressly asked businesses to provide goods online if they were not considered essential retailers:confused:

I thought they asked essential retailers to supply online where required. This is why I'm asking. Did I take it up wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Maybe only the computer is working. Just because they take an order doesn't mean they intend to fulfill it anytime soon. Online "Irish" shop might not be actually Irish.

Beasty wrote: »
    Just took a look at gov.ie again:

Businesses that can only offer emergency call-out or delivery services
    It is recognised that there may be emergency needs arising in a number of areas, the following retailers who can offer an emergency call-out or delivery service can continue to operate on that basis ONLY:

opticians/optometrists
    retailers involved in the repair of motor vehicles, motorcycles and bicycle repair and related facilities (tyre sales and repairs for example)
    hardware stores, builder’s merchants and stores that provide hardware products necessary for home and business maintenance, sanitation and farm equipment, supplies and tools essential for gardening/farming/agriculture
    retail sale of office products and services for individuals working from home and for businesses
    retailers providing electrical, IT and phone sales, repair and maintenance services for home

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Can someone please tell me why I have only seen two Irish companies close their online store since Friday night? A lot more of them are still advertising their sales today. How are these deemed essential items? Nowhere on the list of essential retailers does it say the likes of clothing and coffee and furniture are essential items? Please correct me if I am wrong. Am I missing something?

its online, so no danger.....the government are on about bricks & mortar shops

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,053 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Im in printer consumables online so fall into this

retail sale of office products and services for individuals working from home and for businesses

I closed our vape shop Saturday though and I'm more annoyed that is considered far less essential than printer cartridges.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

but doesn't vaping contribute to spreading the virus

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Company I work for sells furniture and is still taking online orders and we're still delivering.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,348 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Some are still operating their site, but unable to fulfill orders just yet
    McDonaghs and Kenny's in Galway are 2 for example and they both say they can't or won't guarantee anything for 2-3 weeks.

Screwfix have shut down their site too pending further advice

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

If online shops are open, and you want something from that shop, nothing stopping you ordering from them. If they are still delivering, they'll be using couriers or An Post. Naturally when they are being delivered the couriers / postman should be maintaining social distancing guidelines, and from what I've seen they are. Same as food takeaway delivery people.

For the most part cardboard packaging is ok. If you get a package in plastic, just give it a wipe down with some Dettol, open it, discard the plastic, then wash your hands. The item itself is probably going to be ok.

It's important we help keep companies ticking over by purchasing their items. Especially if we want those stores to still be around in a few months.

rob316 wrote: »
    Im in printer consumables online so fall into this

I closed our vape shop Saturday though and I'm more annoyed that is considered far less essential than printer cartridges.

Hi Rob, not sure why as I recently saw that Wicked Vapes are allowed to stay open?

If online shops are open, and you want something from that shop, nothing stopping you ordering from them. If they are still delivering, they'll be using couriers or An Post. Naturally when they are being delivered the couriers / postman should be maintaining social distancing guidelines, and from what I've seen they are. Same as food takeaway delivery people.

For the most part cardboard packaging is ok. If you get a package in plastic, just give it a wipe down with some Dettol, open it, discard the plastic, then wash your hands. The item itself is probably going to be ok.

It's important we help keep companies ticking over by purchasing their items. Especially if we want those stores to still be around in a few months.

I'm guessing you're looking at the lone delivery man approaching your door and leaving a package outside for you. Take a trip to any courier warehouse and see what you think of their social distancing measures then! Speaking from current experience.

Weepsie wrote: »
    Some are still operating their site, but unable to fulfill orders just yet
    McDonaghs and Kenny's in Galway are 2 for example and they both say they can't or won't guarantee anything for 2-3 weeks.

Screwfix have shut down their site too pending further advice

Have seen clothing companies get that trend and mcelhinneys in Donegal and also Smyth's toys have shut fully. I'd have more respect for them for doing so and would purchase from them in future rather than completely non essential companies who think it's perfectly ok to keep selling cheap threads at this time. And I'm talking about flouncy summer dresses and funny t shirts here. Not essential clothing such as maternity/growing kids clothing etc.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Just took a look at gov.ie again:

Businesses that can only offer emergency call-out or delivery services
    It is recognised that there may be emergency needs arising in a number of areas, the following retailers who can offer an emergency call-out or delivery service can continue to operate on that basis ONLY:

opticians/optometrists
    retailers involved in the repair of motor vehicles, motorcycles and bicycle repair and related facilities (tyre sales and repairs for example)
    hardware stores, builder’s merchants and stores that provide hardware products necessary for home and business maintenance, sanitation and farm equipment, supplies and tools essential for gardening/farming/agriculture
    retailers providing electrical, IT and phone sales, repair and maintenance services for home
    +1. I mean life goes on and stuff, necessary stuff breaks down or needs replacing. EG many more people are working from home using IT so they need support, online, over the phone, deliveries etc. So long as nobody is crossing a threshold and is keeping a safe distance, game on. Cars can break down, need parts etc. Same goes for other stuff, though if you have a plumbing or electrical emergency at home I suppose they have to come in. Whatever about the general public, those folks need masks and gloves and the like.

TBH I am surprised vape shops aren't included. They help keep folks off the fags, which you can still buy, so they should be included IMHO.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I'm guessing you're looking at the lone delivery man approaching your door and leaving a package outside for you. Take a trip to any courier warehouse and see what you think of their social distancing measures then! Speaking from current experience.

I'm not really worried about that so much. I mean, items in a warehouse that have been sitting there for weeks or even months, thrown into the back of a van or a pallet, wrapped in plastic...

According to the WHO, “The likelihood of an infected person contaminating commercial goods is low and the risk of catching the virus that causes COVID-19 from a package that has been moved, travelled, and exposed to different conditions and temperature is also low.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

I'm not really worried about that so much. I mean, items in a warehouse that have been sitting there for weeks or even months, thrown into the back of a van or a pallet, wrapped in plastic...

According to the WHO, “The likelihood of an infected person contaminating commercial goods is low and the risk of catching the virus that causes COVID-19 from a package that has been moved, travelled, and exposed to different conditions and temperature is also low.”

I think soo35 means that in general the conditions couriers/order pickers work under in warehouses are not safe for them regarding catching Covid 19.

When you see a courier delivering a parcel to your door it looks a safe process but the warehouses aren't.

I'm in two minds myself on whether to order online in case it puts someone in harm's way.

It's the same for supermarket staff too. They run the risk of picking and delivering orders for us so that we don't take any.

I could do with ordering a MI Box S and a router but its not vital.

What are the views of users here on whether it is ethical to do so as there is no way of knowing whether working conditions are safe for the couriers delivering.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

What are the views of users here on whether it is ethical to do so as there is no way of knowing whether working conditions are safe for the couriers delivering.
    I say let the companies and the HSE worry about that. They won't be long stepping in if they see something dangerous.

The idea that we shut down everything is ridiculous. This is about trying to slow down the spread of a virus, not completely destroy our entire economy. If stores/restaurants etc can survive by switching to online sales, good for them and we should be supporting them in my opinion.

hmmm wrote: »
    I say let the companies and the HSE worry about that. They won't be long stepping in if they see something dangerous.

The idea that we shut down everything is ridiculous. This is about trying to slow down the spread of a virus, not completely destroy our entire economy. If stores/restaurants etc can survive by switching to online sales, good for them and we should be supporting them in my opinion.

I agree with supporting stores online. My concern is if you order from a company thats not enforcing social distancing and the workers have no choice but to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Pinkpotato

I agree with supporting stores online. My concern is if you order from a company thats not enforcing social distancing and the workers have no choice but to work.

Well then the workers need to report to Health and Safety.
    Smyths have opened their Online shop back up. I assume they implimented new social distancing within the warehouse.
    IKEA are delivering items that only require 1 person to deliver, thus reducing contact

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

This should be the time when online reigns king over allot of the bricks and mortar stores.

Allot of our retailers should be embracing, and the ones that have closed will damage their business very badly. What would happen if we just stopped dead and cut our economic output to zero, the long term impact would be absolutely huge and there would be long term repercussions for allot of people in Ireland.

Its crazy right now though people are so scared and petrified that they are running around creating problems and hate online for the drizzle of economic activity that is still ongoing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,861 ✭✭✭sporina

whats the status with on line shopping in general these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

sporina wrote: »
    whats the status with on line shopping in general these days?

Grocery shopping, best of luck getting a slot....

Anything else, buy and wait for delivery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Bought a few bits online (mostly clothes) the past few weeks and one thing I have noticed is how fast the deliveries have been.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,861 ✭✭✭sporina

ricero wrote: »
    Bought a few bits online (mostly clothes) the past few weeks and one thing I have noticed is how fast the deliveries have been.

oh wow cool - i imagined that delivery times would be v long..

Advertisement