Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family member is an anti-vaxer

Options
  • 06-04-2020 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭

So I have a 4 month old baby and he recently has his 2nd round of vaccines. He didn't react well and spent the following 24 hours crying and sleeping a lot. I mentioned this to my brother who in passing said that his 4 year old son hasn't had any vaccines because he and his wife don't agree with them.

After thinking about this for about a day, I rang my brother to explain that as his son isn't vaccinated, I don't think it's safe for my son to be around him until my son has had all of his vaccines. My brother got very offended and hung up on me. I'm devastated because we haven't always got along but in the last few years, we had moved past any previous issues and we were getting along.

By the way, I didn't question his choices, I just explained that it's not safe for my son to be around an unvaccinated child. I also said that he and his wife should consider telling family members and close friends because I was completely unaware of this. Has I known, I wouldn't have had my son around his cousin when he was a newborn.

Anyway, my brother and his wife are extremely offended. They are hurt that I think their son is a danger to my son and they make the point that 'our son isn't anymore of a risk than anyone who hasn't had their boosters in recent years or parents who never had measles and didn't get vaccinations'. They also say that anyone aged over 45 hasn't had the MMR. I'm pretty sure this isn't accurate is it?

Even if it is, obviously everyone should still vaccinate their child to protect them. I spoke to my GP who explained that my son won't be fully protected against measles until he's had all boosters at the age of 5. So I'm not going to have my son around his cousin until then. Just looking for opinions on this and whether people think this is an overreaction on my part or not. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Oh that is a tough one..

Id say maybe give your brother a bit of time for this to settle in and maybe try and approach him again just to talk.. Not nice if you say like that ye have just rebuilt things.. In my experience with that situation, they are always going to find something to bite on just let them at it be there for them if they call but if they keep bringing this up just say stop.

I get where you are coming from as this is your child you are protecting so it is up to you really what ye would like to do. Just the same I suppose as your brother and his wifes choice not to vaccinate, but in my head for them I would be telling others especially if there is a newborn around.. The are much stronger than we give them credit for but at the same time they are very vulnerable..Not sure if i would have the strong will to keep them away until the age of 5 but I would for sure, until they have the first round of vaccines over with.

Herself was the same with one round of vaccines took the first not a bother, and the second or third was very harsh on her, seems like forever at the time but they jump back..

Just do what ye think is right for ye and try not to let others pressure ye into anything

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

anti vaxxers are a danger to society. I personally think unvaccinated children (those who don’t have a medical reason not to be vaccinated) shouldn’t be allowed to attend schools or childcare.
    You’re not wrong here, they are.

I Probably feel a bit more strongly about it after watching the world grind to a halt while we all hope someone develops a vaccine for covid-19

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SmallgirlBigcity

jlm29 wrote: »
    anti vaxxers are a danger to society. I personally think unvaccinated children (those who don’t have a medical reason not to be vaccinated) shouldn’t be allowed to attend schools or childcare.
    You’re not wrong here, they are.

I Probably feel a bit more strongly about it after watching the world grind to a halt while we all hope someone develops a vaccine for covid-19

Thanks, I'm so shocked that they didn't get their boy vaccinated. I asked how he is going to crèche and my brother said 'we just tell them he is vaccinated and they don't check'. I couldn't believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I don’t think you’re over reacting given that measles and mumps are doing the rounds and the first case of rubella in 10 years was in Cork a couple of months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Thanks, I'm so shocked that they didn't get their boy vaccinated. I asked how he is going to crèche and my brother said 'we just tell them he is vaccinated and they don't check'. I couldn't believe it.

This is insane stuff to be hearing in 2020, especially with what is going on currently in the world, if it were a neighbour, I'd probably report them to Tusla, it's your brother though, so not sure how it can be approached...

Wish you luck with this one OP, as it's a difficult one to approach...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Be right back

Wow, that's so irresponsible. I know of someone who became ill with measles ( before MMR) and was left severely brain damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I don't have any advice about the relationship, but honestly, if you know what creche it is, when it reopens I'd send them an anonymous letter saying it's come to your attention that not all kids are vaccinated, and perhaps they might want to ask for letters from doctors or certificate of vaccinations or whatever before letting kids back in.

That’s actually shocking. Making their own (dangerous) decision is one thing, but putting other kids at risk by lying is just wreckless. But the crèche should be checking. It’s so irresponsible, that’s upsetting.

Thoie wrote: »
    I don't have any advice about the relationship, but honestly, if you know what creche it is, when it reopens I'd send them an anonymous letter saying it's come to your attention that not all kids are vaccinated, and perhaps they might want to ask for letters from doctors or certificate of vaccinations or whatever before letting kids back in.

I’d probably do this too. Or else I’d ring tusla and tell them the same thing. These people are all strangers to me and I’m actually irritated by this :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,135 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

This is absolutely scandalous . There could be immuno compromised children in that creche . I personally think the creches should be checking the children’s vacation record . They are all in a book and stamped . Shocking behaviour by your brother and I wouldn’t be bringing my baby to his house at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

I’d go as far as to inform the crèche about this. There could be vulnerable children at that crèche who simply cannot be vaccinated and are relying on the other children’s parents to do the right thing.
    While your brother and his wife obviously love their child they are very dim and extremely misguided and it’s quite unforgivable and inexcusable.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

I know that in both childcare facilities that I’ve been dealing with that you need to show vaccinations book at registration. I don’t know if this is compulsory or just individual crèche policies. Should be compulsory if it isn’t.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,596 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

while though that its a family member, but this is exactly how anti-vaxxers should be treated.
    they should be ostracised from main society as their children are a danger to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭pauldavis123

Surely your kid will be safe, it's vaccinated?

Can't see the problem.

Can't see the problem.

The Ops baby is 4 months old so no is not fully vaccinated yet

• Subscribers Posts: 41,596 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Can't see the problem.

*facepalm*

did you read to the end of the OP ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭con___manx1

I can't belive these anti vaxers. Woulder will they get a vaccine for the corona virus if the pharma companies are able to make one.
    If the answer is no their kids should be 100 percent banned from school until they get some sense.
    A kid could loose limbs or die from mengitius in a short period. Anti vaxers are like flat earthers. Idiots

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭pauldavis123

sydthebeat wrote: »
    *facepalm*

did you read to the end of the OP ??

Wont be fully vaccinated until 5, neither will the other kid.

So, keep them apart until 5?

Can't see the problem.

It’ll be safe when it’s five, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Be right back

Sounds like what the OP should do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭storker

You're not overreacting; they're underreacting and you're right not to let your child near theirs. If they're so determined to take stance on this then let them own the consequences. These people are a scourge; undoing years of medical progress with their half-baked, uniformed, I-saw-it-on-YouTube-so-it-must-be-true bullsh1t, and in the process endangering their own child and the children of others.

Do not feel guilty about this. Ultimately you have a greater duty to your own child's health than to your brother's good opinion of you.

Yes , absolutely to keep the baby safe

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Can't see the problem.

Immunisation schedule is 13 months long. MMR isn't given until the fourth visit.

I would let the creche know tbh. I know it's hard as it's family but jesus every child in that crèche is at risk and the childminders too along with any pregnant mother.

I wouldn't let my children near his tbh even if they were cousins... I was absolutely livid when a relative of my oh visited with a coldsore when I'd a new born. The baby didn't leave my arms.. There was no baby cuddles, feck that a coldsore can cause death in a newborn.... People need to realise that their choices have consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭ec18

You need to let the creche and the rest of your family know, They have turned their child into a potential public health risk

shocking and not that the creches do not check.. They should check it is'nt that difficult, I would imagine to do, after seeing that documentary about the creches it is no wonder..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭joeysoap

In Australia he wouldn’t be let in a school. Should be the same here. Very selfish.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SmallgirlBigcity

Thanks everyone, I'm bowled over by the support. It's very reassuring. I've thought about informing the crèche, maybe I should. I'll give it some serious thought. I know it might seem excessive to wait until he's 5 but my GP told me he won't be fully protected against measles until he's received all vaccines and boosters which is when they're 5. So to be extra safe, I'm going to keep them apart until then. My brother's wife text me and said they're going to give him the MMR in the next year or so but I genuinely don't believe them. I think they're just saying that. They have lied about other things so they have form. For example, my brother specifically told me on the phone that the child had no vaccines and they lied to the creche. Then his wife text me saying he had some vaccines (just not the MMR) and that the crèche were aware of their choices and were fine with it. So I don't believe them that they're going to give him the MMR in the next year or so.

It really is a lot to bare for you, but be sure and do whatever you feel is best for ye.. best of luck with all..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

The OPs kid only needs to be with other vaccinated children so yes and well past 5. The brother and his wife have made this decision and they will have to accept the consequences as with every decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Lizardlegz

Thanks everyone, I'm bowled over by the support. It's very reassuring. I've thought about informing the crèche, maybe I should. I'll give it some serious thought. I know it might seem excessive to wait until he's 5 but my GP told me he won't be fully protected against measles until he's received all vaccines and boosters which is when they're 5. So to be extra safe, I'm going to keep them apart until then. My brother's wife text me and said they're going to give him the MMR in the next year or so but I genuinely don't believe them. I think they're just saying that. They have lied about other things so they have form. For example, my brother specifically told me on the phone that the child had no vaccines and they lied to the creche. Then his wife text me saying he had some vaccines (just not the MMR) and that the crèche were aware of their choices and were fine with it. So I don't believe them that they're going to give him the MMR in the next year or so.

From what you’ve told us they are not trustworthy at all. I wouldn’t believe a word they say. Ask to see the child’s immunisation card prior to letting your wee baby near his cousin. It’s awful sad but I’d be putting the health of child first. Even at 5... the mmr is only about 80% (I think) effective. So still a small chance of contracting measles from an affected and contagious child or adult. Mind yourself and your family x

Advertisement