Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family member is an anti-vaxer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Lizardlegz wrote: »
    From what you’ve told us they are not trustworthy at all. I wouldn’t believe a word they say. Ask to see the child’s immunisation card prior to letting your wee baby near his cousin. It’s awful sad but I’d be putting the health of child first. Even at 5... the mmr is only about 80% (I think) effective. So still a small chance of contracting measles from an affected and contagious child or adult. Mind yourself and your family x

According to the HSE website

The full course of MMR vaccine offers good protection against measles for 99% of people, against rubella (German measles) for 95% of people and against mumps for 88% of people.

https://www.hse.ie/eng/health/immunisation/pubinfo/pcischedule/vpds/mmr/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Thanks, I'm so shocked that they didn't get their boy vaccinated. I asked how he is going to crèche and my brother said 'we just tell them he is vaccinated and they don't check'. I couldn't believe it.

They won't get away with that 'not checking' for too long - my little one's preschool wanted copies of all the kids vaccine books last September.It was a new thing in September, hadn't been asked of us for our first 2 years ago.

Also the school will eventually know because they will have to return a form with permission to give the MMR booster in Junior Infants.And if anything is ever wrong with the child, the first question asked of them by doctors will be have they their full vaccination schedule completed?Everytime I ring DDoc they ask that question.

You are not overreacting OP. And creches are hotbeds of germs, it will become an issue one way or other.The child will bring home everything, they are bad enough as it is even with vaccines.I certainly wouldn't bring my child near them until you have completed the 13 month programme of vaccines at the absolute minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,298 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Family member is an anti-vaxer

Give him a book about Noel Browne and the vaccination program his instituted in this country to combat TB. We essentially had it wiped out in two generations, whereas before there wasn't a single family in Ireland that hadn't been affected by it in some way.

The same with MMR, which eradicated its target diseases and again, before it was instituted this country had an awful time with measles, mumps and rubella.

Anti-vaxers are a queer bunch altogether. Heads filled up with internet shite from stupid Americans.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Tony EH wrote: »
    Give him a book about Noel Browne and the vaccination program his instituted in this country to combat TB. We essentially had it wiped out in two generations, whereas before there wasn't a single family in Ireland that hadn't been affected by it in some way.

The same with MMR, which eradicated its target diseases and again, before it was instituted this country had an awful time with measles, mumps and rubella.

Anti-vaxers are a queer bunch altogether. Heads filled up with internet shite from stupid Americans.

Noel Browne is a nobody. Sharon on Facebook swears her daughter has narcolepsy after getting the vaccinations and that’s all he needs to know. If it’s on Facebook it must be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Can we agree to replace the term ‘anti-vaxxer’ with ‘idiot by choice’?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Id be skeptical about them getting the MMR tbh. Isnt the MMR the anti vaxxers no 1 go to for evil vaccine? Sounds like shes just telling people (possibly only you at this stage) what she thinks they want to hear.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 133 ✭✭ijohhj

So I have a 4 month old baby and he recently has his 2nd round of vaccines. He didn't react well and spent the following 24 hours crying and sleeping a lot. I mentioned this to my brother who in passing said that his 4 year old son hasn't had any vaccines because he and his wife don't agree with them.

After thinking about this for about a day, I rang my brother to explain that as his son isn't vaccinated, I don't think it's safe for my son to be around him until my son has had all of his vaccines. My brother got very offended and hung up on me. I'm devastated because we haven't always got along but in the last few years, we had moved past any previous issues and we were getting along.

By the way, I didn't question his choices, I just explained that it's not safe for my son to be around an unvaccinated child. I also said that he and his wife should consider telling family members and close friends because I was completely unaware of this. Has I known, I wouldn't have had my son around his cousin when he was a newborn.

Anyway, my brother and his wife are extremely offended. They are hurt that I think their son is a danger to my son and they make the point that 'our son isn't anymore of a risk than anyone who hasn't had their boosters in recent years or parents who never had measles and didn't get vaccinations'. They also say that anyone aged over 45 hasn't had the MMR. I'm pretty sure this isn't accurate is it?

Even if it is, obviously everyone should still vaccinate their child to protect them. I spoke to my GP who explained that my son won't be fully protected against measles until he's had all boosters at the age of 5. So I'm not going to have my son around his cousin until then. Just looking for opinions on this and whether people think this is an overreaction on my part or not. Thanks.

There's no vaccination for ignorant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

What your brother says about MMR is inaccurate. MMR is a combined vaccine for measles mumps rubella and as such is only 40+ years old, but individual vaccines for each were available years earlier. My parents had some of them already and they are 60+. He is probably taking his talking points for antivaxxer groups... You are right, he is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SmallgirlBigcity

Definitely. My brother said in a text to me and on the phone that the child didn't have any vaccines. And he said on the phone that the crèche didn't know. A day later i get a rehearsed text that they've obviously sent to other people who have questioned their decision and it says they've given him some vaccines just not the MMR which they plan to give when he's about 4. It also says the crèche knows and doesn't mind. It's definitely a lie. I think they give this story about him having some vaccines and planning to give him the MMR so people don't think they're completely nuts. It sounds better than staying they don't plan on giving him any vaccines...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Definitely. My brother said in a text to me and on the phone that the child didn't have any vaccines. And he said on the phone that the crèche didn't know. A day later i get a rehearsed text that they've obviously sent to other people who have questioned their decision and it says they've given him some vaccines just not the MMR which they plan to give when he's about 4. It also says the crèche knows and doesn't mind. It's definitely a lie. I think they give this story about him having some vaccines and planning to give him the MMR so people don't think they're completely nuts. It sounds better than staying they don't plan on giving him any vaccines...

He is 4, there is no reason to delay MMR at all. You are right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

jlm29 wrote: »
    anti vaxxers are a danger to society. I personally think unvaccinated children (those who don’t have a medical reason not to be vaccinated) shouldn’t be allowed to attend schools or childcare.
    You’re not wrong here, they are.

I Probably feel a bit more strongly about it after watching the world grind to a halt while we all hope someone develops a vaccine for covid-19

This is a great answer, I would be very wary of letting my kids around anti-vaxxers until they had all their shots.

This is an issue caused by the OPs brother, from recent posts I can see its only the "MMR" they don't have as if that's ok. There are some horrible outcomes out there for people who get measles or mumps I believe sterility being one of them.

I really dislike anti-vaxxers also not only because of the recent pandemic but my eldest has autism and that is their go to misinformation when it comes to them. Its also the fact they are so selfish, their parents who remember the impact of not vaccinating so made sure they were sorted are now denying their own kids the same protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Lizardlegz

bee06 wrote: »

The full course of MMR vaccine offers good protection against measles for 99% of people, against rubella (German measles) for 95% of people and against mumps for 88% of people.

Apologies bee you’re right. I was only gestimating from memory.. but CDC website says 97% protection from measles and 88% from mumps. That’s still 3 % more risk than I’d like and 12% more risk for mumps than I’d like for a little boy who could become infertile from mumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Lizardlegz

bee06 wrote: »

Apologies bee you’re right. I was only gestimating from memory.. but CDC website says 97% protection from measles and 88% from mumps. That’s still 3 % more risk than I’d like and 12% more risk for mumps than I’d like for a little boy who could become infertile from mumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Thanks, I'm so shocked that they didn't get their boy vaccinated. I asked how he is going to crèche and my brother said 'we just tell them he is vaccinated and they don't check'. I couldn't believe it.

I assume you have reported this public health threat? The fact its your brother doesn't matter.

Surely your kid will be safe, it's vaccinated?

Can't see the problem.

There is a few myths about vaccines that still permeate our society.

The big one is the idea that vaccines are perfect. That - as you suggest above - "if your child gets vaccinated then it is "safe" from the disease(s) in question".

This is not true. If you are exposed to a disease - especially one as infectious and harmful as measles - there is still an infection risk.

The success of vaccines therefore is not based on them making any given individual immune. But that they reduce the risk anyone will come in contact with the disease at all because so many people are vaccinated. This is what you will hear called "Herd Immunity".

So if you are aware that someone is not vaccinated - then simply keeping away from them until you are 5 and have all your shots - is not enough. If that someone gets the disease the exposure risk can override the benefit of the vaccination.

Further as others have pointed out there is the risk of exposure by unvaccinated children to those who for whatever reason _cant_ be. So when we all vaccinate against a disease we are not just doing it for ourselves - but for those people too who can be infected - and for those other people who need access to hospitals but lose it because infected people take up bed and hospital resources.

Finally the more people who are infected the more probability we have that any given disease can mutate. Viruses and bacteria mutate all the time. The last thing we want is any mutation that ends up rendering our vaccinations ineffective. Rather what we want is to reach such a perfect level of vaccination that we effectively eradicate the disease entirely - at which point no one would need to be vaccinated against it ever again. Which is the best outcome as the reality is vaccinations _do_ come with both health risks and costs over a population. So the end game is to reach a point where they are defunct.

It is a whole house of cards. So you can understand how emotive it can be to hear people have refused them for often invalid "personal" reasons based on poor information and scaremongering conspiracy theorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,959 ✭✭✭✭listermint

endacl wrote: »
    Can we agree to replace the term ‘anti-vaxxer’ with ‘idiot by choice’?

No it should be replaced with criminally negligent.

People like this are fine to keep their choice but they are not fine to use the same public services as everyone else. They shouldn't be allowed near a school or a crèche. And it should be illegal to do what they are doing.

They are actively engaged in restoring expired diseases to the country. It's akin to biological weaponry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

They're writing their own vaccine schedule too? Deciding when and which to complete?

That just makes no sense whatsoever. The vaccine schedule itself is tested for efficacy and safety. Whatever random dates/age they pick, the vaccine may not be as effective. They are changing too much there. Age, weight, order of the jabs etc.

It is utterly selfish of them to do this. Immunocompromised children, adults and the elderly depend on us all protecting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭FitzElla

Even if it is, obviously everyone should still vaccinate their child to protect them. I spoke to my GP who explained that my son won't be fully protected against measles until he's had all boosters at the age of 5. So I'm not going to have my son around his cousin until then. Just looking for opinions on this and whether people think this is an overreaction on my part or not. Thanks.

Absolutely not an over reaction and you are right in what you said and are doing. Can you imagine if you child caught measles from his cousin because you were worried about offending your brother? You have to protect the health of your child.

As others have said what he is doing is a public health risk and I would be letting the creche know as well. Not every child can get a vaccine, and not every vaccine is 100% effective which is why it is so important for the herd immunity to be in place. Anti-vaxxers are directly responsible for the suffering and deaths of children that are completely avoidable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    This is absolutely scandalous . There could be immuno compromised children in that creche . I personally think the creches should be checking the children’s vacation record . They are all in a book and stamped . Shocking behaviour by your brother and I wouldn’t be bringing my baby to his house at all

A booklet isn't much of a record. And is no use if it's been lost. My son has had all of his and the booster in school, but I don't think I've a means of proving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

A booklet isn't much of a record. And is no use if it's been lost. My son has had all of his and the booster in school, but I don't think I've a means of proving it.

I never got our book stamped, but the gp practice will print out a record of all jabs no bother.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

jlm29 wrote: »
    I never got our book stamped, but the gp practice will print out a record of all jabs no bother.

It was over a few and can't remember who / when or even if they still practise.

There really needs to be a central medical DB of some sort, but that's a different discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

It was over a few and can't remember who / when or even if they still practise.

There really needs to be a central medical DB of some sort, but that's a different discussion.

One of them is dead so definitely not practicing any more!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,135 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

It should be a priority to keep a record of a child vaccinations in my opinion. In many EU countries it would be checked by creches and schools

It should be a priority to keep a record of a child vaccinations in my opinion. In many EU countries it would be checked by creches and schools

Its a little booklet, it gets lost over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,135 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Long before booklets came out I wrote my kids vaccines in a notebook . I still have it in a safe place , my eldest is 40 !

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

The GP keeps track of the jabs and dates recieved too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

If really needed I'd say the hse have a hard copy.

I had to delay my child's as they had an operation and the Dr recommended holding off for a few weeks.... I got one if not two letters from the hse saying my child was behind the schedule and basically sort it out.

Long before booklets came out I wrote my kids vaccines in a notebook . I still have it in a safe place , my eldest is 40 !

And by the sounds of things, the OPs brother is looking to make up such a thing. Theres no verification from mere scraps of paper. It's no proof you've had your kids do it. (Not that I'm doubting you)

If really needed I'd say the hse have a hard copy.

I had to delay my child's as they had an operation and the Dr recommended holding off for a few weeks.... I got one if not two letters from the hse saying my child was behind the schedule and basically sort it out.

I reckon that'll have more to do with the public health nurse. I doubt they'd have their files for any length of time after they've considered a childs early development to be progressing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I reckon that'll have more to do with the public health nurse. I doubt they'd have their files for any length of time after they've considered a childs early development to be progressing.

There’s definitely a central database. When one of mine was mate having something because they were sick a couple of times we had an appointment, I got a letter from the county clinic telling me it was over due

Advertisement