Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family member is an anti-vaxer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Thanks, I'm so shocked that they didn't get their boy vaccinated. I asked how he is going to crèche and my brother said 'we just tell them he is vaccinated and they don't check'. I couldn't believe it.

You should report the creche to Tulsa as this is very dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,135 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

And by the sounds of things, the OPs brother is looking to make up such a thing. Theres no verification from mere scraps of paper. It's no proof you've had your kids do it. (Not that I'm doubting you)

I wasn’t actually saying the scrap of paper was official . I was answering your post thst said a vaccine booklet gets lost
    My point to you was if it’s important to you you will keep it safe . My kids now a few times have referred back to my notebook and the info is there for them
    Personally that note book and its information about my kids vaccines was very important and was kept with passports etc
    What I am actually saying is that it was careless to loose a child vaccine book

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I wasn’t actually saying the scrap of paper was official . I was answering your post thst said a vaccine booklet gets lost
    My point to you was if it’s important to you you will keep it safe . My kids now a few times have referred back to my notebook and the info is there for them
    Personally that note book and its information about my kids vaccines was very important and was kept with passports etc
    What I am actually saying is that it was careless to loose a child vaccine book

When there's things you have to pick up, it doesnt make it onto the shortlist.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,135 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

When there's things you have to pick up, it doesnt make it onto the shortlist.

See , it would on mine

• Subscribers Posts: 41,596 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    You should report the creche to Tulsa as this is very dangerous.

Agreed

It's actually incredibly dangerous for the brothers child!

I can't believe any parent would tell a creche their child is vaccinated when they are not.

That puts their own child at incredible danger from others.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

jlm29 wrote: »
    There’s definitely a central database. When one of mine was mate having something because they were sick a couple of times we had an appointment, I got a letter from the county clinic telling me it was over due

Hmm would need to see what I can find out about that then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

My letter didn't come from public health nurse or my Dr's surgery... They were both aware of the hospitalisation and the operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I would get a record and have it, if you don’t think it would be on hand at your gp. I know I needed to get records at one point for college, it didn’t matter because I’ve had the same gp since birth, it was easy get.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭fits

Its a little booklet, it gets lost over time.

The GPs have a record of it and I believe it is tracked by HSE. I had record printed by GP before my boy started in a pre school with other medically vulnerable children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Are parents obliged to provide vaccination records to creches now?

Or should I say, is there a legal requirement to provide vaccination records.

Just wondering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭fits

There was for my boy as he was in an early intervention pre school. We had t submit teams of paperwork before he started though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

AulWan wrote: »

Just wondering.

Yeah mine looked for it.... I didn't have the book for the first, so gp printed it out for us.

My first was one of the first not to get BCG so the creche was very dubious over that... Warned me she was going to enquire higher up to verify what I was saying..... I didn't care, appreciated her due diligence regarding it.

I was abit more organised on number 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

shesty wrote: »
    Also the school will eventually know because they will have to return a form with permission to give the MMR booster in Junior Infants.And if anything is ever wrong with the child, the first question asked of them by doctors will be have they their full vaccination schedule completed?Everytime I ring DDoc they ask that question.

Out of interest, what actions are open to a school if a parent refused permission for the booster?

So what happens with the kids who can't be vaccinated? Are they excluded?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

No ,but the kids who are vaccinated create a herd immunity.In essence they keep the ones that cant be vaccinated "safe"

Unfortunately theres not enough kids getting the needles and thats why cases of mumps,rubella are going up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

For measles you need 95% immune to have herd immunity. This protects those who for valid reasons can't be vaccinated. Measles was eradicated but we've seen it make a return lately because the antivaxers have made the rate of immunisation drop to less than 95%

For measles you need 95% immune to have herd immunity. This protects those who for valid reasons can't be vaccinated. Measles was eradicated but we've seen it make a return lately because the antivaxers have made the rate of immunisation drop to less than 95%

I understand herd immunity. I was just wondering what happens in the case of a child who genuinely can't be immunised.

What is to stop creches from discriminating against these kids, and just taking only kids that are immunised?

If it is a legal requirement, or becomes one, I imagine the parents of these children will find it hard to find a place to take on their child, even if they can show medical proof that the child cannot be vaccinated.

But I guess thats a topic for another thread.

As a side issue, I always got posted reminders of my kids' vaccinations directly from the HSE, not from the GP or nurse, but that was years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

If it is a legal requirement, or becomes one, I imagine the parents of these children will find it hard to find a place to take on their child, even if they can show medical proof that the child cannot be vaccinated.

Other countries have mechanisms where you do need to show a relevant med cert for a child with vaccination gaps to be accepted. But they will be accepted, although they might be distributed between classes to make sure there are no clusters.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I understand herd immunity. I was just wondering what happens in the case of a child who genuinely can't be immunised.

What is to stop creches from discriminating against these kids, and just taking only kids that are immunised?

As a side issue, I always got posted reminders of my kids' vaccinations directly from the HSE, not from the GP or nurse, but that was years ago.

That is exactly how herd immunity works, for kids who cannot be immunized, it doesn't take much more than common sense to understand you do not discriminate against kids who cannot be immunized.

Pure bunk and scare mongering to say children who cannot be immunized would be discriminated against, if it became a law it would cover this because as i said its a common sense understanding most who are pro-vaccinations have.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

There’ll be medical exemptions, should be simple enough to manage for the crèche.

Ask for the cert stating the child is medically exempt from being vaccines and make it illegal to refuse kids access who have the exemption.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Can’t choose family.

My eldest sister is busy sharing posts advising people to chop up onions and place them round the house to protect from Covid19.

Haven’t spoken to her in years due to her obvious insanity and idiotic behaviour.

_Brian wrote: »
    Can’t choose family.

My eldest sister is busy sharing posts advising people to chop up onions and place them round the house to protect from Covid19.

Haven’t spoken to her in years due to her obvious insanity and idiotic behaviour.

She think the virus is actually vampires?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

_Brian wrote: »
    Can’t choose family.

Thanks for the little giggle, it’s been a VERY long day. And sorry for laughing. Sometimes I think we were better off before the internet :)

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I put our book somewhere safe. So safe in fact that I could never find it again. The public health nurse sent home a new book in JI after his booster there with the booster logged in the book and a printout of all the previous jabs, right down to dates and batch numbers. And it must be a centralised database as we moved districts.

2 years later I found the original book. Of course I did. Safely filed away in a logical spot with all the other important certs.
    So if you ring your local public health office they should be able to print off the schedule of vaccines to date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Not a legal requirement but a private business can enforce any rule they like to protect other kids in their care.

Personally I think it should be a legal requirement that kids be vaccinated to go to creche unless there is a medical reason not to - e.g. immuno suppressed or allergic to ingredients.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Surely your kid will be safe, it's vaccinated?

Can't see the problem.

The problem is you can't read apparently.

OP, the problem is your brother and his wife, not you. As others have suggested, send an anonymous letter to the creche. As stupid as it is, unfortunately it's their right not to get their child vaccinated, however they have NO right to subject other children in that creche to the dangers an unvaccinated child may cause them if they developed an illness.

Just wondering.

There bloody well should be! For schools as well. It's absurd.

Calhoun wrote: »
    Pure bunk and scare mongering to say children who cannot be immunized would be discriminated against, if it became a law it would cover this because as i said its a common sense understanding most who are pro-vaccinations have.

Wind your neck in.

I asked a genuine question. I was not scaremongering. My kids are adults, but I was wondering in terms of any grandkids as its not an issue I've come up against before.

No need to be so bloody rude.

Thanks to those who replied in an informative and mannerly fashion.

Wind your neck in.

I asked a genuine question. I was not scaremongering. My kids are adults, but I was wondering in terms of any grandkids as its not an issue I've come up against before.

No need to be so bloody rude.

Thanks to those who replied in an informative and mannerly fashion.

You know you were reading from the anti-vaxx playbook? Manipulative arguments like that are exact what they do to divert attention away from the issue.

My apologies I honestly didn't think anyone who understood the importance of herd immunity like you said you did would have asked such a question . We already had some gob****e say vaccines cause autism on the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭volchitsa

strandroad wrote: »
    What your brother says about MMR is inaccurate. MMR is a combined vaccine for measles mumps rubella and as such is only 40+ years old, but individual vaccines for each were available years earlier. My parents had some of them already and they are 60+. He is probably taking his talking points for antivaxxer groups... You are right, he is wrong.

Yep this is right: I'm 55 and in my time there was no vaccination for any of those "childhood diseases" (we had the polio vaccine - BCG?) and maybe others - eg tetanus, I think - but not mumps, measles or chicken pox. Everyone got it as children and it was mostly fine, but you were pretty damn sick with some of them all the same, as I recall. For that reason alone, vaccination is a plus.

Some kids weren't ok though - a friend of mine very nearly died and had health problems for years after, pretty much ruined her childhood she says. Other people were actually left blind or disabled. Doesn't matter that it was rare, you don't know which child it will happen to, and for that child it's a disaster.

Last thing : we girls were all vaccinated at 12 or 13 against German measles (Rubella), because of the risk to the unborn baby during pregnancy. The boys weren't. Oh and despite all the illnesses circulating, turned out that my brother didn't get mumps until he was past puberty - it's a very serious business at that age it seems. Again, another reason for vaccinating IMO.

Advertisement