Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone hazard a guess for when the gyms will re-open

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭leanin2019

I’ve seen a lot of these muscle muppets who film themselves and show on Instagram, and they are always in same gym gear afterwards when they get their Starbucks or gorging on their donuts. Have always wondered if they are not taking shower before leaving the gym.

Muscle muppets :pac:

No worries here have my own home gym,good luck waiting for public gyms to reopen

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭sugarman20

I’ve seen a lot of these muscle muppets who film themselves and show on Instagram, and they are always in same gym gear afterwards when they get their Starbucks or gorging on their donuts. Have always wondered if they are not taking shower before leaving the gym.

So you follow these muscle muppets on Instagram?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,587 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I doubt it. And on that note I'd be hoping for a reduction in fees. At the end of the day their bills are incorporated into our fees.

To be fair, they will also be incurring a lot of additional costs to provide for the guidance around reopening so it's not as straightforward as their bills being less because no not water costs for showers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

leanin2019 wrote: »
    Muscle muppets :pac:

Nice phrase, good alliteration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

sugarman20 wrote: »
    So you follow these muscle muppets on Instagram?

Lol. I have only ventured upon as a result of installing Instagram on my fone and opening an account in it. I find the whole Instagram/Influencer craze to be bizarre, unusual and very unhealthy. However I just observe it mostly for my own entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Anyone heard any news as to whether the Trinity College Gym is reopening on 29 June?

or has anyone heard about any other city centre pools reopening on 29 June?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

JTMan wrote: »
    Anyone heard any news as to whether the Trinity College Gym is reopening on 29 June?

or has anyone heard about any other city centre pools reopening on 29 June?

Given it only got announced yesterday they could open I think we'll find out this week (newsletters, social media etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Prices could go up depending on venue and restrictions, I can’t see a reduction happening because you can’t use a shower for your own safety

I'm not prepared to pay any more for the service, nor can I afford to. If prices increase, I will have to cancel my membership.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭lcstress2012

No word yet on any FlyeFit reopening yet. The reaping of gyms on 29th June is only max 50 capacity is it not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭NotMOL

No word yet on any FlyeFit reopening yet. The reaping of gyms on 29th June is only max 50 capacity is it not?

I don't understand this capacity thing..like how can gyms of different sizes have the same capacity

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

NotMOL wrote: »
    I don't understand this capacity thing..like how can gyms of different sizes have the same capacity

What's not to understand? The government has said no more than 50 people can gather indoors during this stage. It's a blanket thing, not specific to gyms.

NotMOL wrote: »

It's a fixed number applicable to all indoor spaces. The principle is to limit the number of people in the same indoor space and minimise risk

Allowing a bigger number in bigger gyms, on a per m2 basis for example, is difficult to manage because people are circulating around rather than being in a fixed space.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭caviardreams

It's a fixed number. I know what you're saying but the principle is to limit the number of people in the same indoor space and minimise risk

Allowing a bigger number in bigger gyms, on a per m2 basis for example, is difficult to manage because people are circulating around rather than being in a fixed space.

Plus I imagine it assists in contact tracing to have capped numbers initially.

The announcement was made Friday evening. The 29th is a few weeks away. I understand people want to know - I'm one of them - but its less than 48 hours since the announcement.

It’s only 8 days
    Tick tock :D

Jaysus....forgot we were that far into June.

Still, no one needs 8 days to pack their gym gear. Patience.

It’s only 8 days
    Tick tock :D

They need at least one business day to get management agreement before posting details on social media or sending a bulk email i'm sure!

Are you not packed and ready ??
    My gym posted they will open on the 29th with details to follow

And that's great but you're not any better off for knowing that than I am who hasn't heard. I'd love to know but it makes no odds.

And, as was said above, they likely aren't in a position to until senior management sign off on what is sent out. I'd have thought tomorrow or Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Kamu

I believe the issue with Flyefit is how they can implement social distance/50 people in max at any one time.

I am a member of Flyefit and I will be there the 29th, but I imagine hundreds, if not thousands will be too.
    Queuing won't work with gyms of that size; people will spend about an hour, if not more, inside.

Realistically, the only way to open and adhere to government guidelines is a booking, first come first serve, system, where perhaps you book one hour slots.

I'd be happy to do that, but unfortunately I am back in the office working my 9-5. So I'll either have to got very late in the evening after peak times, or very early in the morning before work.

Kamu wrote: »
    Realistically, the only way to open and adhere to government guidelines is a booking, first come first serve, system, where perhaps you book one hour slots.

I'd be happy to do that, but unfortunately I am back in the office working my 9-5. So I'll either have to got very late in the evening after peak times, or very early in the morning before work.

Gyms are going to have to implement a booking system. They need to be able to manage numbers and have a record of who is there for contact tracing.

It's not ideal for a lot of people but it's the only practicable option.

I usually train after 8pm. Before work isn't an option and I go after the kids are in bed. It's a lot less busy but there will still be competition for 50 8pm slots

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Kamu

I usually train after 8pm. Before work isn't an option and I go after the kids are in bed. It's a lot less busy but there will still be competition for 50 8pm slots

And that's going to be the issue, which given everything, I am happy to work around.

Most, I imagine will be looking at the hour slot directly after the normal work day, and keep going up the time slots until they find something. 5pm - 9pm slots will be booked in minutes. The 5am - 8am will be booked rather quick as well.

I know, and have used, Flyrefit 24/7 (once went at 1 am to go on a run), but outside the 'core' times won't have nearly as much emand as the average person can't/won't go then.

When I do get back again, I'm going to hug the squat rack, the sexy little thing that it is.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I would think there should be a software solution possible, even if there is no booking system. Maybe they can live update what the gym occupancy numbers are throughout the day, to give people a sense whether it's worth making the trip or not (?).

I have my home gym set-up so it's irrelevant to me at this stage, but I must say that for anyone planning on going back the current numbers of cases within the community are very reassuring, it is effectively zero outside of just a few settings. Not to say we don't need to keep precautions and be aware that we will inevitably import new cases that will grow exponentially, but we are in a good positon for re-openings.

Kamu wrote: »
    And that's going to be the issue, which given everything, I am happy to work around.

Most, I imagine will be looking at the hour slot directly after the normal work day, and keep going up the time slots until they find something. 5pm - 9pm slots will be booked in minutes. The 5am - 8am will be booked rather quick as well.

I know, and have used, Flyrefit 24/7 (once went at 1 am to go on a run), but outside the 'core' times won't have nearly as much emand as the average person can't/won't go then.

When I do get back again, I'm going to hug the squat rack, the sexy little thing that it is.

I'd venture that a lot of people that can't get a slot close to their time will either leave it or venture elsewhere. People train after work because it suits them. It might be close to work and the only option ie transport back and home again after might not be brilliant. Or it may be just that they won't be able to haul themselves out of the house to go back in at 8/9 after being at home a couple of hours. So I don't think all those that can't get a slot in the 2 hours after work will cascade down to the 8/9 slots.

That said, it'll be like going onto Ticketmaster for a big gig for a while even for the later slots

Ben Dunne quoted in an article about gyms and harbours reopening in the Business Post today (have printed copy only and they have a paywall).

Attached here but basically his gyms won't open until the autumn and when they do there will be no showers, pools or saunas. Wonder if he is using COVID as an excuse to cut costs on the pools etc that chew money.

No other chains quoted.

Ben Dunne quoted in an article about gyms and barbers reopening in the Business Post today (have printed copy only and they have a paywall).

His gyms won't open until the autumn and when they do there will be no showers, pools or saunas. Wonder if he is using COVID as an excuse to cut costs on the pools etc that chew money.

No other chains quoted.

I would think there should be a software solution possible, even if there is no booking system. Maybe they can live update what the gym occupancy numbers are throughout the day, to give people a sense whether it's worth making the trip or not (?).

I don't think that is workable because it will sti inevitably lead to people being turned back at the door. Booking is the easiest option to manage with limitations on bookings to give people a fair crack of the whip.

And people probably prefer the certainty of a booking, even with the competition for that booking, rather than having to be ready to go at the drop of a hat not knowing if the 40 that are there at a point in time will have grown to 50 by the time they get there. And stops unfairness where people can't get in for an hour yet someone else got in because they live closer and stay 3 hours at a time

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

I will be interested to see how 24 hour gyms will operate outside staffed hours if we're to say that staffed hours & non 24 hour gyms will operate via a booking system.

It might be the case that numbers are generally low during them hours anyway so it will just run an normal or that during the hours outside what a normal gym would operate might not be made available just yet in a 24 hour gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

24hr gyms is the only solution until situation is back to normal. I don’t mind adjusting my body clock and going at ridiculous o’clock, but those of us who work 9-5 cannot go during those hrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭imfml

I'm a FLYEfit member too and reading the potential solutions here, such as a booking system for 50 people per hour, their attendance numbers are way down. Membership will drop off big time if people find it hard to get a slot, so I can see major price hikes coming. The flip side is you'll have access to a much quiter gym. But at 5pm on a week day there must be hundreds in their gyms, all those memberships will now have to be covered by just 50 people. I usually go between 11am and 3pm as I work late shifts, but even then there's always more than 50 people inside. I can't wait to get back to proper weight training after months with just two 12kg dumbbells and the roads to run on.

• Advertisement

DVDM93 wrote: »
    I will be interested to see how 24 hour gyms will operate outside staffed hours if we're to say that staffed hours & non 24 hour gyms will operate via a booking system.

It might be the case that numbers are generally low during them hours anyway so it will just run an normal or that during the hours outside what a normal gym would operate might not be made available just yet in a 24 hour gym.

Should be relatively simple in Flyefit where you need to swipe in so your card would only allow you access in time you have booked. Doesn't manage the people in there staying beyond their slot but one person could manage that by clearing people on the hour every hour

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement