Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone hazard a guess for when the gyms will re-open

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

JayRoc wrote: »
    Which branch was that? I get the impression most of the mentions here have been regarding Clontarf Rd?

Yea it was Clontarf. I’ve emailed the branch manager looking for a refund. I’ll more than likely be leaving Westwood now, terrible handling of re-opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

fatbhoy wrote: »
    Looks to me as if the shortest once-off is 2-months.

https://secure10.clubwise.com/iveaghfitnessclub/pos.asp

I signed up for the two months anyway as worried about getting a slot when flyefit first opens back up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Kamu

Reps4jesus wrote: »
    I signed up for the two months anyway as worried about getting a slot when flyefit first opens back up

Got myself two months there just now. looking forward seeing some weights again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Kamu wrote: »
    Got myself two months there just now. looking forward seeing some weights again.

Was happy to see the weights in the local gym too. The gym instructor told me I would need to do more than look at them though to get any benefit though. The cheek of him!

Patsy167 wrote: »
    Was happy to see the weights in the local gym too. The gym instructor told me I would need to do more than look at them though to get any benefit though. The cheek of him!

If I can get fat from looking at cake, I can get jacked from looking at weights!
    :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

My gym quietly reactivated my direct debit. Pretty annoying. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Looks to me as if the shortest once-off is 2-months.

https://secure10.clubwise.com/iveaghfitnessclub/pos.asp
    I'm sure you could sign up for a month on the DD option...its just a different offering allowing you to pay month by month like a Flyefit
    Reps4jesus wrote: »

I sent them a message:
    Can I get a one month once-off membership (i.e. just pay for a month)?

to which I received this reply:
    At the moment we just have 3 months up front membership which is 180 plus joining fee 29

I sent them a message:

At the moment we just have 3 months up front membership which is 180 plus joining fee 29

I paid for two months through their website, got email confirmation that it was accepted and an introductory email.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Going this evening for the first time in months. So. Fcukin. Excited.

Booked in a spin class for saturday. will try hit the weights beforehand, mostly booked the class as an intro to see what the place is like and if i should even try get near a rack!
    ahhh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

Only 3 days back at it and the 3 parts of my body that I worked are crippled with DOMS.

Lost quite a bit of strength in my upper body but legs somehow are pretty similiar to what they were before lockdown...maybe it's from carrying all my extra takeaway weight :pac:

I'm so happy to be back at it, even the DOMS are a welcome feeling! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

My gym is now re-opening a week earlier on the 13th instead of the 20th July. Have to ring the day before to book a slot. It'll be 90 mins slots, no changing facilities etc, as others have said of their gyms. I had better get a slot for the morning it re-opens!!

I sent them a message:

So I emailed them a little earlier, as the link to the member site was broken in the original email i received after paying through the website, and I got a response:

"Membership is granted first via application during covid and is based on 3 months - plus the admin fee."

... I waiting to hear back in relation to the two months membership i payed for a couple of hours ago. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭GerryFog

Iveagh fitness what a gym

Amazing equipment, never busy, loads of beautiful brazilian birds.

Best gym in Dublin. I suggest everyone should check it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,616 ✭✭✭caviardreams

My gym is now re-opening a week earlier on the 13th instead of the 20th July. Have to ring the day before to book a slot. It'll be 90 mins slots, no changing facilities etc, as others have said of their gyms. I had better get a slot for the morning it re-opens!!

I was really hoping flyefit might do the same if they were ahead of schedule. Doesn't seem to be happening! Ah well, only 2 more weeks now I guess! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Standman wrote: »

FlyeFit?

I got the issue sorted with Iveagh Fitness, they were really sound about it.

I'm halfway through my first workout in months,
    I can undeniable claim that, you can't, in fact, get jacked from looking at weights; you have to lift them.

*Rice Flair* WOOOOOOOO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Has anyone been in Westwood Fairview in the evenings? I've only been there between about 0700 and 0845 the last 3 days. What's it like in the evenings/afternoons?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

app working well now for Gymplus, a few slots full and a few near full but doesn't appear to be a mad rush.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,943 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

GerryFog wrote:

I openly admit I immediately checked out their membership rates following this comment yesterday evening.

I openly admit I immediately checked out their membership rates following this comment yesterday evening.

Annual membership is €600, seems steep to me but does have pool facilities....

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭GerryFog

Annual membership is €600, seems steep to me but does have pool facilities....

Sauna, Jacuzzi, Brazilian birds in thongs.

Its heaven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

GerryFog wrote: »
    Iveagh fitness what a gym

Best gym in Dublin. I suggest everyone should check it out.

Do you want to leave out the creepy perving....sound

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

So are Changing rooms closed in everyone’s gyms? If you ask me this is less hygienic with lots of sweating people walking out gym entrances. Mine are closed (wasn’t surprised as they tend to take the easiest way out of most things!). Nice little money saver on cleaning and hot water for them

Iveagh Fitness changing rooms and showers are open.

I haven't asked about their pool facilities, but they might be open as well.

• Advertisement

road_high wrote: »
    So are Changing rooms closed in everyone’s gyms? If you ask me this is less hygienic with lots of seating people walking out gym entrances. Mine are closed (wasn’t surprised as they tend to take the easiest way out of most things!). Nice little money saver on cleaning and hot water for them

Covid-19 isn't transmitted through sweat afaik

Whilst there is saving on hot water, alright (though small enough compared to increased costs now) I imagine the cleaning in other areas well negates any savings from not having to clean the changing rooms!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

So are Changing rooms closed in everyone’s gyms? If you ask me this is less hygienic with lots of sweating people walking out gym entrances. Mine are closed (wasn’t surprised as they tend to take the easiest way out of most things!). Nice little money saver on cleaning and hot water for them

Why is it less hygienic to use a shower and accompanying facilities in a gym where other people will use them and potentially facilitate the spread of a virus than people leaving to go home and shower there?

What they're saving on hot water, they're spending on regularly cleaning down equipment after people have used them and providing plenty of sanitiser and cloths for people to clean down after use also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Senature

Standman wrote: »

Yes me too, didn't even get the full month's use out of the last payment. Pretty lousy treatment of members.

How have the other gym goers been in people's experience?

In relation to cardio, there is one machine out of service between every working machine, so no issues there. People are respecting other's space and are spraying equipment after each use*, the gym has been busy but I've not had to wait to use anything.

ideal really. :D

*I used the spray and a white facecloth on the barbell, my facecloth was filthy afterwards; I shouldn't have been surprised by the amount of dirt and grime, but I was.

Why is it less hygienic to use a shower and accompanying facilities in a gym where other people will use them and potentially facilitate the spread of a virus than people leaving to go home and shower there?

What they're saving on hot water, they're spending on regularly cleaning down equipment after people have used them and providing plenty of sanitiser and cloths for people to clean down after use also.

Because I find it disgusting to go home all covered in sweat, especially on car seats (which I cover when coming from the gym now). More Covid non sense but I accept its great to have the gym open at least.

• Advertisement

In relation to cardio, there is one machine out of service between every working machine, so no issues there. People are respecting other's space and are spraying equipment after each use*, the gym has been busy but I've not had to wait to use anything.

*I used the spray and a white facecloth on the barbell, my facecloth was filthy afterwards; I shouldn't have been surprised by the amount of dirt and grime, but I was.

I’ve only been doing classes and most have been outdoors. No issues at all really, lots of space. Equipment wiped down after use etc and plenty of distance. It’s very acceptable and way better than them being closed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

The amount of chemicals in the air from all the spraying is surely going to be terrible for people's health. It's already burning my nose, god knows what it's doing to my lungs. I couldn't do this long-term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

I assume they're just going by government guidelines (regardless of your opinion on those) which they have to do.

I've no doubt the gyms are not happy with the way things are at the moment, to be fair to them.

As far as I'm aware, Westwood's changing rooms are open, as are most public pools too.

I assume that it's only gyms that are physically unable to enforce social distancing in their changing rooms at the moment (and therefore would be breaking the rules) that have no choice but to keep them closed for now, until the restrictions are loosened again.

Because I find it disgusting to go home all covered in sweat, especially on car seats (which I cover when coming from the gym now). More Covid non sense but I accept its great to have the gym open at least.

Covering the car seat isn't a big deal.

The showers aren't open because the guidance doesn't provide allowing the use of the kind of showers in use in most gyms where water can run from one person's cubicle (if they're divided) into another person's space. Cross contamination. It also can make the virus airborne through moisture droplets.

Its not a handy little earner for gyms. They'd rather be open and functional as was normal than the current set up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Superb customer service from Flyefit today. I contacted them saying that I don't live anywhere near any of the gyms and so can't arrive ready to workout and leave without changing/a shower. They agreed to pause my membership without charge until Sep 30th

If you find that disgusting wait until you aren't showered for weeks on end while ventilated in ICU, Then you will actually have something to complain about!

calfmuscle wrote: »
    If you find that disgusting wait until you aren't showered for weeks on end while ventilated in ICU, Then you will actually have something to complain about!

Oh look the Covid scarers have arrived on Q. I better not drive there either...someone might blow into me and I’ll end up in icu...or take a shower...I could slip and get injured. I could get electrocuted...
    Does the sacred virus only target the changing rooms of certain gyms, avoid others and all other areas of said gyms?

I could get electrocuted...

We can only dream.......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 37 banana_split

Pool, changing rooms and showers open in my Gym Plus. Jacuzzi and steam room out of action though.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Pool, changing rooms and showers open in my Gym Plus. Jacuzzi and steam room out of action though.

+1

So far only used the pool and its been empty despite the app saying I was 4/12 when booking.

Trying the gum floor tomorrow night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 banana_split

+1

So far only used the pool and its been empty despite the app saying I was 4/12 when booking.

Trying the gum floor tomorrow night.

Gym floor has been very quiet any time I’ve been in. No hassle staying past the hour mark cos it’s so quiet

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

GerryFog wrote: »
    Sauna, Jacuzzi, Brazilian birds in thongs.

Its heaven.

Mod Note: Don't post in this thread again. This kind of stuff isn't welcome here

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭geotrig

gym finally opened back up yesterday, think about 7 people in there in total, 1hr slots like most places and no showers/changing rooms etc probably could have stayed over the booked hr as no one seemed to be manning that side yet ,
    I'm sure that will start filling up during the week but my god the Dom's this morning :) !

everything was heavy ! :P triceps suffered the most as lactic acid built up very quick there !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Oh look the Covid scarers have arrived on Q. I better not drive there either...someone might blow into me and I’ll end up in icu...or take a shower...I could slip and get injured. I could get electrocuted...
    Does the sacred virus only target the changing rooms of certain gyms, avoid others and all other areas of said gyms?

Cue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭rpurfield

I've found them good now, but I've sort of been aiming at quieter times when I can. Everyone I've spotted in my eyeline are wiping down with spray and sanitising hands regular as well as keeping distance. Wiped a couple of bumper plates after use the other day that are "mature" shall we say :eek:

rpurfield wrote: »
    I've found them good now, but I've sort of been aiming at quieter times when I can. Everyone I've spotted in my eyeline are wiping down with spray and sanitising hands regular as well as keeping distance. Wiped a couple of bumper plates after use the other day that are "mature" shall we say :eek:

Seeing how 'mature' some.if the equipment is has definitely made me more aware of not touching my face between sets. :O

Seeing how 'mature' some.if the equipment is has definitely made me more aware of not touching my face between sets. :O

I feel like my John McEnroe wristband look will finally have it's moment as people realise the benefits for avoiding hand-face contact :p:p

I feel like my John McEnroe wristband look will finally have it's moment as people realise the benefits for avoiding hand-face contact :p:p

Wristband?

You cannot be serious?!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭geotrig

I have those large (Nadal,ithink)wristbands i use when running and contemplated wearing one yesterday as I wasn't sure if sweat towels were being allowed ,
    I became very conscious of how much I touch my face during work outs at the start of this pandemic.

Forget wristbands ,we need to bring back headbands with wristbands :P

• Advertisement

geotrig wrote: »
    I have those large (Nadal,ithink)wristbands i use when running and contemplated wearing one yesterday as I wasn't sure if sweat towels were being allowed ,
    I became very conscious of how much I touch my face during work outs at the start of this pandemic.

Forget wristbands ,we need to bring back headbands with wristbands :P

Be the trailblazer we all need. Hahah

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement