Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone hazard a guess for when the gyms will re-open

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

silverharp wrote: »
    Im just keeping it simple for now and easing in slowly, if its upper body just one push and one pull exercise, lower body just doing the hex bar. Im keeping the number of total reps constant and just making sure that total weight volume goes up each time plus a new higher weight. I decided to take on the concept 5000m just so I wouldn't have to see how bad my 2000m time might have been :pac:

I'm starting with lower body tomorrow. I'll see what I can do on the day. I guess I'll stick with my reps too and just see what weight feels just a tad difficult and take it from there, hopefully increasing it slightly with each session.
    Practically giddy with excitement here.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

DareGod wrote: »
    Some saunas and steam rooms are open.

Hooefully Gymplus reopen theirs soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

DareGod wrote: »
    In my gym, masks are not required and nobody wears one. Own hand sanitiser / wipes not required - both provided on site.

They should really supply them like this. If they bring in a rule people might just bring in bottles of water and pretend its sanitizer.

I was in a local chipper and used there's and I am 90% sure it was not legit hand sanitizer, very little smell off it and bottle said it was an alcohol one (I have used loads of types over the years and work with chemicals etc). Could be refilling with a non alcohol one but I reckon many are diluting stuff down as it is so expensive from many places.

I used it in tesco and was expecting a gel but it was pure liquid, I think they do refill them but it smelt like the real deal, no major shop is going to be faking it.

First gym session done. I'm on cloud 9. Didn't push myself too hard.. But no doubt I'll still be in a hoop tomorrow.
    The gym had a great set up. I would have no concerns at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

rubadub wrote: »
    I used it in tesco and was expecting a gel but it was pure liquid, I think they do refill them but it smelt like the real deal, no major shop is going to be faking it.

THe gel is an additive to make it easier to apply.
    But when when there was a shortage, a lot of distilleries were pumping out raw alcohol to be used as sanitizer. Those ones are just alcohol and water, so completely liquid. Will smell like strong vodka and regret.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

That's pretty much what Jonnie Candito advised a while back as well, i.e. working up to a single at RPE 7 and projecting a max off that if you're going to be working at % of max in the programme

I went to a RPE of 8 (after a couple of days of just getting movement patterns etc down again) on the 3 main lifts to see where I was at and am working off that. Strength was probably 40% off where it was before this, but even without running any program its coming back quite quickly. Im just running linear progression with 5x5's on the main lifts and standard 3x10's on accessory stuff for now but nice to see quick progression, reckon in a month or so i could be back to where I was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Reps4jesus wrote: »
    I went to a RPE of 8 (after a couple of days of just getting movement patterns etc down again) on the 3 main lifts to see where I was at and am working off that. Strength was probably 40% off where it was before this, but even without running any program its coming back quite quickly. Im just running linear progression with 5x5's on the main lifts and standard 3x10's on accessory stuff for now but nice to see quick progression, reckon in a month or so i could be back to where I was

Yeah I think the general advice is just don't get too close to a max.

I think with short time-slots for training and less scope for accessory work, it might take a bit longer than I had thought but not a huge amount

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Back this morning, my gym was empty. Myself and one other. I have my workouts written down for the week. Really just ran through movements today, didnt push too hard.
    Found my back weight in some moves hadn't suffered hugely and then in others was halved. But felt great to be back.

Lots of spray around and paper towels. They have every second piece of equipment covered and not in use. mostly affected the cardio equipment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,943 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Back this am too. In at 6am and straight onto threadmill, had a brief moment where I couldn't remember how to get the thing going... Duh. The same damn threadmill I've been using for 14 years.

... Crisis averted I knocked out a quick 5km before moving on to some machines... sat into the chest press without checking what plates were already stacked and it was way too light. Nevermind I thought I'll just rep out 10 and work on the technique, got up and stacked another 20kg plate either side, sat down again and away I went - still way too light. Quickly realising I had actually put the plates on completely the wrong place and I was actually lifting thin air. I tried to save face by knocking out another 10 reps of absolutely nothing! I'm sure some fellow gym goers noticed and had a good chuckle. The shame!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭GerryFog

Back this am too. In at 6am and straight onto threadmill, had a brief moment where I couldn't remember how to get the thing going... Duh. The same damn threadmill I've been using for 14 years.

... Crisis averted I knocked out a quick 5km before moving on to some machines... sat into the chest press without checking what plates were already stacked and it was way too light. Nevermind I thought I'll just rep out 10 and work on the technique, got up and stacked another 20kg plate either side, sat down again and away I went - still way too light. Quickly realising I had actually put the plates on completely the wrong place and I was actually lifting thin air. I tried to save face by knocking out another 10 reps of absolutely nothing! I'm sure some fellow gym goers noticed and had a good chuckle. The shame!

Jaysus I heard about that. Didn't know it was someone from Boards.

Small world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Sounds like something id be capable of doing .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Back at the gym two weeks now. They are doing one hour slots with 30 mins between sessions for sanitizing the equipment. The slots are booked through an app with 45 places per session. This was grand starting off but it's becoming very hard to get a place at times now due to the amount of members in the gym. The slots can only be booked 24 hours in advance and go live at midnight so unless your up late they are gone by 7am. Some slots tomorrow have 19, 15 and 17 people on the waiting list already.

It is what it is with the restrictions and it's better than the gym being closed but if it continues like that I think I might have to look at getting a refund on the annual membership as it was a fair whack and I'm not getting even a restricted session at certain times now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

Numbers allowed indoors increases from 50 to 100 including staff from next week as final phase of COVID-19 restrictions.
    Should help with getting slots for training

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

ongarite wrote:
    Numbers allowed indoors increases from 50 to 100 including staff from next week as final phase of COVID-19 restrictions. Should help with getting slots for training

Happy days!

I asked for a refund weeks ago and still there's no sign of it in my account, from Ben Dunne gyms. I had just paid my full annual fee a week before shut down.

Anyone had this from them?

I think it would be ideal for them to open at say 5.30am, so early trainers can get in and go home to shower, then off to work. Otherwise, I can see him losing tons of customers to Flyefit etc, I know that's where I'll be from Monday. If he opens earlier in the autumn, then I'd rejoin alright.

• Advertisement

Back this morning. I seemed to be the only one using sanitizer. The very last time I used the gym another user close to me had a very heavy cold/cough, in March. I then went on holidays to Africa, and developed Covid there, however more likely to have been acquired on the journey. I just can't feel that enthusiastic about it tbf, and as long as this virus is around I won't be renewing my membership.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

My gym had been providing paper and sanitizing sprays. They started this week notifying everyone to bring their towels with them as they were no longer providing the paper (to save on waste and the environment). Everybody gets checked at the door for a towel. They still provide the sprays everywhere.

90 minute slots that can be booked 24 hours in advance. Max 50 people. I'm finding it really good at the moment, there's never much of a wait for anything because of the limits on numbers and everyone is very particular about cleaning down equipment.

I hope they keep the 50-person limit as it is, even when there is more allowed indoors. It's a smallish gym so it seems just the right amount of people that nearly everything is being used at once and the flow from one thing to the next is quick and easy.

Idjit wrote: »
    My gym had been providing paper and sanitizing sprays. They started this week notifying everyone to bring their towels with them as they were no longer providing the paper..........

I'm not so sure how sanitary folk wiping down equipment with manky towels is. Wipe your forehead with it once and it's manky. Many folk won't even wash the thing for a week or so if not longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Has anyone heard of gyms asking for rejoining fees from members returning after the lockdown?

It seems Westwood, at least, are at it. Incredibly bad form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

JayRoc wrote: »
    Has anyone heard of gyms asking for rejoining fees from members returning after the lockdown?

If they paused people's memberships that makes no sense, and as far as I know all gyms paused memberships.

If someone cancelled their membership, knowing what that means, and now wants to join back... meh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭nullObjects

JayRoc wrote: »

They are asking everyone or if you cancelled or something?
    It's bad form either way

I'm with Flyefit, they paused peoples memberships when the gyms closed and will activate it again when they reopen next week I guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Augeo wrote: »
    I'm not so sure how sanitary folk wiping down equipment with manky towels is. Wipe your forehead with it once and it's manky. Many folk won't even wash the thing for a week or so if not longer.

indeed.

in my gym we have to have a towel, but it specifically states that towels are not to be used to wipe down machines - spay and blue tissue/towel/roll (provided) must be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭sp00k

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2020/0715/1153499-politics-cabinet/

The wearing of face coverings is likely to be made compulsory in shops and other indoor settings, following a meeting of Cabinet this evening.

Guess this will mean the gym as well, as it's an 'indoor setting'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Cancelled my Flyefit sub last night. I just wont be near one often enough to make it worth as I'm WFH. It would be an inconvience to go in. I'm sticking with the home workouts, for at least the the rest of 2020 (seeing great results, so maybe longer.)

sp00k wrote: »

The wearing of face coverings is likely to be made compulsory in shops and other indoor settings, following a meeting of Cabinet this evening.

Makes no sense as you can't wear one when eating/drinking so restaurants won't be one of the "indoor" settings where it'll be compulsory.

Also........ The World Health Organization released guidance on June 16, 2020, that people shouldn't wear face masks while exercising because it could reduce the ability to breathe

my only reservation would be that flyefit never have good if any ventilation. The windows fog up in the swords one and the mirrors in Drumcondra. This means you'll have all the filth circulating in the warm moist air..not good at all, especially in winter.

Also if most of the younger people are being affected from doing what come naturally at their age, socializing more, then gyms are even more risky as people in that age bracket tend to go gyming more often that their older, more frequently injured, married with kids or mortgages type of folk. So you indoors in a poorly ventilated area of mouth breathers (due to heavy panting) who have been in temple bar the night before.

Not their fault, I;m just saying gyms are so risky I;m nearly talking myself out of going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

sp00k wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2020/0715/1153499-politics-cabinet/

Guess this will mean the gym as well, as it's an 'indoor setting'?
    If it does they'll have all but walked back Phase 3. I think the WHO guidelines trump Cabinet ruminations.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭NotMOL

ongarite wrote: »
    Numbers allowed indoors increases from 50 to 100 including staff from next week as final phase of COVID-19 restrictions.
    Should help with getting slots for training

Now cancelled https://twitter.com/MaryERegan/status/1283440450301460481

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭GerryFog

I think cases are spiking because so many Yanks are landing here from places like Florida.

It is insane the government hasn't banned all travel from the US

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

rusty cole wrote: »
    I asked for a refund weeks ago and still there's no sign of it in my account, from Ben Dunne gyms. I had just paid my full annual fee a week before shut down.

Anyone had this from them?

I think it would be ideal for them to open at say 5.30am, so early trainers can get in and go home to shower, then off to work. Otherwise, I can see him losing tons of customers to Flyefit etc, I know that's where I'll be from Monday. If he opens earlier in the autumn, then I'd rejoin alright.

Also requested a refund from Ben Dunne, got a reply on June 26th saying they'll refund as quickly as possible but still nothing. I'll post here whenever they do refund it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Kamu

Anyone think that Flyrefit might delay there reopening until the 10th of August?

I assumed that they were waiting for the numbers allowed indoors to increase before reopening, and that's why they were waiting until 20th July. With the the increase indoors being delayed, they might delay opening also?

Kamu wrote: »
    Anyone think that Flyrefit might delay there reopening until the 10th of August?

I assumed that they were waiting for the numbers allowed indoors to increase before reopening, and that's why they were waiting until 20th July. With the the increase indoors being delayed, they might delay opening also?

Could go one of two ways:

1) They made a big deal about reopening the 20th so reluctantly go ahead in the hope that it increases to 100 within a couple of weeks.

Or

2) With Ben Dunne, their direct competition, not opening anytime soon, they might decide píssing off members won't be a huge risk as there isn't another low cost gym for them to go to for a lot of the members.

I'd edge towards it being 1 but I wouldn't put money on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Kamu

Ben Dunne is taking the pish, but at least he's been open about it from the start I suppose.

Quick to tell it how it is, so I respect that.

I imagine the convenience of Flyefit will ultimately be the difference for them in relation to members remaining, even if they do delay opening.

I've got 5 weeks left on my short term contract with the other gym, so no real issue for me for now.

Kamu wrote: »
    Ben Dunne is taking the pish, but at least he's been open about it from the start I suppose.

Quick to tell it how it is, so I respect that.

Well, quick to paint a picture about timeframe for reopening. Not so sure he's been open about the why, per se. I wouldn't suspect there are business reasons driving it and what happens with them that trump the purported public health reasons.

But that's just my thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭imfml

GerryFog wrote: »
    I think cases are spiking because so many Yanks are landing here from places like Florida.

Not to go off topic, but the Health Minister stated how many cases there have been from US arrivals in his brief tonight. I'd suggest watching that, or looking up facts, before posting what you think, because there haven't been so many.

A frustrating delay, waiting for FLYEfit to open too and my guess would be it'll be delayed. It would be innovative if they split the likes of Swords into 3 "buildings". 50 per floor per 1hr slot until August 10th could be a work around, and members can book which floor they'll do their workout on.

indoor numbers aside, will they then insist on wearing of masks? I only say this because if they don't, you'll get a swathe of anyone from shop owners up saying, if we have to comply then so should they! and they;d be right. this is a ****ing disaster!

If we assume the last spikes are from, as they say indoor gatherings of a certain
    age group, then cut to 6 weeks, how the fook are the schools going to a) operate)b enforce) and C) punish 5th and 6th years who don't comply or break rules.

This is just a case of us going to have to live with a low R number for a while while constantly facing the threat of lockdown 2!! somewhere in between all the time is just not working out! we'll never have zero R numbers and when we had 0.6 to 0.8 they still wouldn't open the county fully. That's as good as we'll ever get mark my words as it was achieved through strict lock down..when school opens in any capacity, watch this thing spike like fook!

I hadn't realised but Flyefit have changed the set up so you will be booking 90-min slots instead of 60-min slots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,616 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I hadn't realised but Flyefit have changed the set up so you will be booking 90-min slots instead of 60-min slots

Is the booking system visible yet? i can't see it when I log into myflye, or do you know if it going to be a separate app or just slotted in like the class booking?

Really hoping they go ahead with the 20th! I imagine they will have a lt of unhappy members if they don't.

Is the booking system visible yet? i can't see it when I log into myflye, or do you know if it going to be a separate app or just slotted in like the class booking?

Really hoping they go ahead with the 20th! I imagine they will have a lt of unhappy members if they don't.

No i was just told yesterday and checked the FAQs.

I doubt there will be an app. They're hoping the booking system is fairly short term so they won't be going to the expense of developing an app.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

I have absolutely no problem wearing a mask in shops on public transport etc, but would hate to have to wear one in the gym, it would be bad enough for lifting but for carido it would be awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I thought this would the Bane mask people's time to shine

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

GerryFog wrote: »

There have been 6 imported cases from the USA (edit) in 6 weeks. Our spread is within our own community.

Face coverings are being made mandatory in shops etc where social distancing can't be maintained. The gym most likely will not fall into this category.

You won't need to wear a face covering in restaurants and bars for example

I have absolutely no problem wearing a mask in shops on public transport etc, but would hate to have to wear one in the gym, it would be bad enough for lifting but for carido it would be awful.

I couldn't do it either. I would really struggle. It would really make me not want to go to the gym.
    On the other hand the DOMs I have this week is a huge struggle too, and I would hate to have to go through another stint of no gym and back to DOMs again.

There have been 6 imported cases in 6 weeks. Our spread is within our own community

Where did you get those numbers out of interest? The HPSC report dated 15th July has a total of 420 imported cases. The same HPSC report dated 30th June has 384 imported cases, which would be 36 in the last 2 weeks.

That's not to say that numbers are increasing solely because of allowing in tourists from 'hotspots' but it's something that should be addressed nonetheless.

Never been a better reason to not feel guilty about skipping cardio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

There have been 6 imported cases in 6 weeks. Our spread is within our own community.

Face coverings are being made mandatory in shops etc where social distancing can't be maintained. The gym most likely will not fall into this category.

You won't need to wear a face covering in restaurants and bars for example

This is not true, one day last week out of 23 cases, 15 of them were due to travel and that was reported by NPHET. Most cases in recent weeks have been due to people importing this virus because it was virtually zero in the community towards the end of June.

This is never going to go back to zero folks. If we can keep the numbers of new cases low and the R number below 1 then we should be able to manage. My concern would be the shocking lack of leadership from government on allowing yanks and British tourists into Ireland. It really makes a mockery of all the sacrifices we as a nation have endured. It also undermines the argument stopping Irish people travelling abroad on holidays.

It's the flu season that will really test this country because all over Ireland you will have people with coughs and fever, not sure whether they have covid or not. It will cause panic in workplaces which is why working from home should be encouraged till next summer.

Gyms are a risk factor no doubt. If you look at Bournemouth a few weeks back, they declared an emergency because hundreds of thousands of people went sun bathing, but there was no blowback in the case numbers since. This virus loves tight groups indoors. Pubs are a huge risk, especially busy pubs and jarred punters not social distancing, so I can understand why bars still can't open. Gyms while less populated than a busy bar, do gave people huffing and puffing as they exercise, all of which is happening indoors, so that would definitely be a risk.

As far as wearing a mask in the gym is concerned, it's very doable. You might have to focus a bit more on your breathing but that would benefit your lungs in the long run. Ultimately you could have the virus and not know and as we all know wearing masks stop me from giving it to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Masks will not be required in gyms. For now at least.

1. Face coverings
    The Government agreed today that face coverings should be worn by all customers in shops and shopping centres across the country. Retail staff will also be required to wear a face covering unless there is a partition between them and members of the public or where there is a distance of 2 metres between them and members of the public. Regulations, with details on enforcement and penalties are in the process of being drafted.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭NotMOL

Most gyms opened almost 3 weeks ago, so if FLYEfit don't open on the 20th and decide to open on the 10th of August then I imagine LOTS of members will leave for other gyms.

NotMOL wrote: »
    Most gyms opened almost 3 weeks ago, so if FLYEfit don't open on the 20th and decide to open on the 10th of August then I imagine LOTS of members will leave for other gyms.

Maybe.

But in a lot of instances, there won't be one that suits people better than FF in the same price range so people won't be happy and they will lose members but I doubt they will lose members en masse in the short term.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

reg114 wrote: »
    This is not true, one day last week out of 23 cases, 15 of them were due to travel and that was reported by NPHET..

Apologies I meant from the USA. I was replying to a post about yanks. My bad

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement