Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone hazard a guess for when the gyms will re-open

Comments

In Thailand fighters are not allowed run in the rain, for the same reason. getting cold can lead to stress on your immune system which doesn't cause but put you more at risk from a virus which otherwise wouldn't cause issues, NOW doing so as you're a bit more vulnerable. Plus hard training is stressful on your central nervous system, Sonia O Sullivan was an awful one for over training and getting sick come the day of competition apparently.

In saying that, our bodies are like computers, constantly updating by collecting bacteria and viruses..if we keep too clean, that's just as bad apparently.
    Like another poster said, put a clean warm top on in the car or in the gym leaving..simples

GerryFog wrote: »
    i still can't book flyefit slots. I thought it was opening tomorrow?

Is that Ben Dunne's. He's not opening until a vaccine is found.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

No, Flyefit.

From the FAQs:

Online booking opens on MYFLYE on Sunday, 19th July.

Log into your MYFLYE and select the Book a Gym Slot tab. You can book 1 x 75 minute ‘Gym Slot’ per day. Gym Slots can be booked 24 hours in advance. Gym Slots are 75 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

rusty cole wrote: »
    In Thailand fighters are not allowed run in the rain, for the same reason. getting cold can lead to stress on your immune system which doesn't cause but put you more at risk from a virus which otherwise wouldn't cause issues, NOW doing so as you're a bit more vulnerable. Plus hard training is stressful on your central nervous system, Sonia O Sullivan was an awful one for over training and getting sick come the day of competition apparently.

In saying that, our bodies are like computers, constantly updating by collecting bacteria and viruses..if we keep too clean, that's just as bad apparently.
    Like another poster said, put a clean warm top on in the car or in the gym leaving..simples

Now I’m not sure why there is a need to fight the case for not being able to shower at the gym being bad, and how it will be an even bigger pain in the ass in winter if that is still the situation. But if it is, you will see people with much larger (small) gym bags being carried around inside and left to the side as they do treadmill, bike, machine etc. As they will be needing coat, extra clothes to put on leaving as you say.

Anyone know why some places seem to have steam rooms and jacuzzi's open but others don't?

Pretty wreckless to have the like open. Have had bacterial pneumonia several times after using both. I certainly won't be entertaining further use of this germ proliferation environment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Steam rooms are a bit more risky in terms of a virus surviving on surfaces so they would need to be cleaned very regularly. Saunas are a higher temperature and usually wood surfaces so much safer.

Jacuzzis should be ok but still need managing. Some probably think it's too much hassle to have them safely available

Some might not really understand the risk so are safety first. That could well be down to a lack of guidance

Yeah understand that, hard to use with a mask too!

Thought someone earlier said their gym had them open so wondered why others had not. Anyway just glad to have the gym and pool open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Pretty wreckless to have the like open. Have had bacterial pneumonia several times after using both. I certainly won't be entertaining further use of this germ proliferation environment.

As much as I am hoping for the showers to come back, I draw the line at sauna and steam room and would not use them now. Even before this virus, some people are just in a world of their own and think nothing to cough and snort in them. Finland has had low virus numbers and they are crazy for saunas, did they close down their public saunas?? Or is it mostly residential saunas there??

As much as I am hoping for the showers to come back, I draw the line at sauna and steam room and would not use them now. Even before this virus, some people are just in a world of their own and think nothing to cough and snort in them. Finland has had low virus numbers and they are crazy for saunas, did they close down their public saunas?? Or is it mostly residential saunas there??

Saunas have mostly wooden (I.e. porous) surfaces and the temperature is higher so a less than hospitable environment for a virus.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Jesus if that's true you'll be waiting till at least next year.

Bookings open for first 4 training slots in Flyefit tomorrow anyway.

• Advertisement

Jesus if that's true you'll be waiting till at least next year.

“I will not open my gyms because they are not safe to use at the moment and they won’t be safe to use until the Government or the medics find a solution, whether it is therapeutic or a vaccine.

I may go bust but people’s lives matter to me. My strong view would be until there is a treatment or a vaccine it is not safe to use gyms or go into shopping centres or go into indoor buildings, I think we are playing with fire.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,616 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Bookings open for first 4 training slots in Flyefit tomorrow anyway.

I got a slot for tomorrow morning - at last! Hoping I can get a rack now!

I got a slot for tomorrow morning - at last! Hoping I can get a rack now!

Yeah I'll be making sure to get there earlyish to gauge the rush for racks (assuming I get the later slot I want)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

“I will not open my gyms because they are not safe to use at the moment and they won’t be safe to use until the Government or the medics find a solution, whether it is therapeutic or a vaccine.

I may go bust but people’s lives matter to me. My strong view would be until there is a treatment or a vaccine it is not safe to use gyms or go into shopping centres or go into indoor buildings, I think we are playing with fire.”

That's what the country needs, the "strong view" of one of the nation's most historically corrupt businessmen.

And what does your scientific research show about outdoor buildings, Ben?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

That is true, but body temperature affects your immune system to fight off these viruses. Staying in a cold sweaty wet top, and I mean drenched in sweat as I do mostly long distance cardio in gym, even if only for 30mins after leaving gym, is not good for you, and will be worse in winter leading to chills and shivers.
    After sweating like crazy, you’re body temp is raised. You only feel cold as sweat is evaporating but the core temp is actually up. My granny used to say you’d catch pneumonia from wet clothes. Just old wives takes.

There’s other reasons to shower soon after working out but catching a cold or flu isn’t one. Staph or other kind infections could be. Mainly only a risk from contact with others like in grappling. Probably a good idea to shower soon after a public steam room.
    In Thailand fighters are not allowed run in the rain, for the same reason. getting cold can lead to stress on your immune system which doesn't cause but put you more at risk from a virus which otherwise wouldn't cause issues, NOW doing so as you're a bit more vulnerable.
    The Thai’s are also very superstitious about stuff like that.
    It’s pretty warm in Thailand, and warmer during the wet season. You’d be colder during an Irish summer than running in the rain in Thailand.

Although less likely to pick up a parasite in Ireland.

Mellor wrote: »
    After sweating like crazy, you’re body temp is raised. You only feel cold as sweat is evaporating but the core temp is actually up. My granny used to say you’d catch pneumonia from wet clothes. Just old wives takes.

There’s other reasons to shower soon after working out but catching a cold or flu isn’t one. Staph or other kind infections could be. Mainly only a risk from contact with others like in grappling. Probably a good idea to shower soon after a public steam room.

The Thai’s are also very superstitious about stuff like that.
    It’s pretty warm in Thailand, and warmer during the wet season. You’d be colder during an Irish summer than running in the rain in Thailand.

Although less likely to pick up a parasite in Ireland.

I know but there's a great chapter all about this in a book called "a fighters heart" sam sheridan goes for a light run in light rain and when he comes back he's whipped into a steaming bath and fed rice for energy. The fighters are so tightly wound that even a cool rain can get them sick.

That's why athletes get sicker than some couch potatoes! they're like a finely tuned antennae so they pick up anything going more easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

Gyms should turn off thier treadmills. Just have weights section open where users dont sweat as much. Cardio outside during the pandemic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

ittakestwo wrote: »
    Gyms should turn off thier treadmills. Just have weights section open where users dont sweat as much. Cardio outside during the pandemic.

And the reasoning behind this is....? Covid doesn't transmit through sweat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

You touch the weights much more with your hands so more risk I would have thought. Treadmills its just the buttons.

Anyway your sweat mostly stays on yourself. Not like you are spraying it all over everyone.

But you can do cardio outside . You dont need to be in a gym. Given how numbers need to be reduced in gyms they should just turn of the treadmills. People generally dont have dumbbells and bars in thier homes so they need a gym for weights. It would be annoying if you cant get in to your gym because the quota has been met, and some are just there doing a treadmill when they could be outside.

• Advertisement

I know but there's a great chapter all about this in a book called "a fighters heart" sam sheridan goes for a light run in light rain and when he comes back he's whipped into a steaming bath and fed rice for energy. The fighters are so tightly wound that even a cool rain can get them sick.
    But cool rain can't make you sick. That's the point. You get sick from viruses, not the rain. A run like that wouldn't drop his body temp, if anything it reduces strain on his body as it doesn't have to work as hard to cool off.

I've no doubt that happened to him in Thailand btw. But doesn't mean these any basis for it. Thai training is very traditional, not scientific. And there are other benefits to hot baths and extra food for a guy in fight camp.
    That's why athletes get sicker than some couch potatoes! they're like a finely tuned antennae so they pick up anything going more easily.
    What's are you basing that on?
    If they approach an overtrained state I'm sure they could get sick easily, but pretty sure athletes in general get sick less due to stronger immune systems vrs the unfit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

But you can do cardio outside . You dont need to be in a gym. Given how numbers need to be reduced in gyms they should just turn of the treadmills. People generally dont have dumbbells and bars in thier homes so they need a gym for weights. It would be annoying if you cant get in to your gym because the quota has been met, and some are just there doing a treadmill when they could be outside.

Thing is everyone uses the gym differently.
    If they stopped people from using all the cardio machines people would moan, speak out about why they should be paying for this yadda yadda. So they have to leave them on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭chancer007

anyone there this morning? how was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Keen to hear how the first day went in any of the Flyfit gyms, I have to join a new gym and Flyfit is my closest. With Ben Dunne not opening for the next couple of months I simply have to move to another,

A lot of people are more likely to do some cardio in a gym environment than they are to go for a walk. That's just how some people are wired. That's why there are always a few people using the treadmills and other cardio equipment.
    And they have every right to use the gym for the equipment that's there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 993 ✭✭✭bigslick

Got 7am slot for Flyefit Ranelagh today. Met at door by FF trainer who had the list of indiividuals signed up and ticked name off. Then contactless machine took temperature and away we went.

Antibacterial sanitizer was provided (smelt strangely like tequila...) as well as anti bacterial spray for cleaning down racks, bars, weights etc after use which I saw most people doing.

75 min slots seemed to work well. Packed at 7am but I found alot of people left around the 45 min mark which left alot of racks free.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

A lot of people are more likely to do some cardio in a gym environment than they are to go for a walk. That's just how some people are wired. That's why there are always a few people using the treadmills and other cardio equipment.
    And they have every right to use the gym for the equipment that's there.

It's not about rights, it's about what works and doesn't work during a pandemic. Folks huffing and puffing, blowing aerosols all over the place (which they'll do far more of over a sustained period doing cardio) isn't ideal considering how the virus spreads. Masks should really be made mandatory at this point.

givyjoe wrote: »
    It's not about rights, it's about what works and doesn't work during a pandemic. Folks huffing and puffing, blowing aerosols all over the place (which they'll do far more of over a sustained period doing cardio) isn't ideal considering how the virus spreads. Masks should really be made mandatory at this point.

They're separate points. Make them wear masks and allow access to machines.

Plenty of people huffing and puffing in racks as well.

They're separate points. Make them wear masks and allow access to machines.

Plenty of people huffing and puffing in racks as well.

Yes, but clearly no where near as much or as sustained. Racks are much more spread out due to their size. Masks and intense cardio don't mix too well unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 sheep26

I think august a well

Yes, but clearly no where near as much or as sustained. Racks are much more spread out due to their size. Masks and intense cardio don't mix too well unfortunately.

Then that's the choice someone makes. If they want to do it, wear a mask. If they don't want to wear a mask, tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

im really hoping people are being fairly sound in flyefit now that it has reopened. I have images of people hogging the cables for the entire 75 mins doing 1000 sets of flys from every different angle and nobody else getting to use them etc.

I would have thought it could be dangerous to wear a mask and do a cardio too. Particularly if you were doing HIIT which is now popular.

As said before people should be dynamic in how they train during the pandemic. I use to use the treadmills at least once a week but have no intention now. I run out side with no mask and can have a shower when I get home. I have no access to weights so do need the gym for that. I dont see why anyone needs a gym for cardio. If their excuse is oh this is how I like to train and I have every right to well that is a selfish undynamic approach to have during a pandemic. Would have no problem if my gym did not cater this attitude and turned off all cardio machines and let these guys f@#k off somewhere else.

I would have thought it could be dangerous to wear a mask and do a cardio too. Particularly if you were doing HIIT which is now popular.

As said before people should be dynamic in how they train during the pandemic. I use to use the treadmills at least once a week but have no intention now. I run out side with no mask and can have a shower when I get home. I have no access to weights so do need the gym for that. I dont see why anyone needs a gym for cardio. If their excuse is oh this is how I like to train and I have every right to well that is a selfish undynamic approach to have during a pandemic. Would have no problem if my gym did not cater this attitude and turned off all cardio machines and let these guys f@#k off somewhere else.

My hip doesn't allow me to run. Cycling isn't brilliant and the C2 is also out. The elliptical cross trainer is how I would get my cardio as it is allows me to get my heart rate up without aggravating my hip.

Anyway, that's an aside but there are reasons that people use cardio machines in the gym.

It's a little ironic to be calling people selfish and then want the gym to accommodate what you want to do.

I'd be more bothered by not getting to use a rack because someone was doing rows, RDLs etc in racks than not getting to train because someone wanted to use cardio equipment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,616 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I would argue from a contact point of view e.g. touching surfaces etc. weights are a higher risk in that sense as lots of different hands are touching stuff. On a treadmill, a user is very unlikely to be leaving it around potentially hundreds of surfaces from different dumbells, plates, bars, machines etc. if they do have it on their hands for example. Aerosols from breathing will be higher with cardio in most cases sure, but it's swings and roundabouts to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

bigslick wrote: »
    Got 7am slot for Flyefit Ranelagh today. Met at door by FF trainer who had the list of indiividuals signed up and ticked name off. Then contactless machine took temperature and away we went.

Antibacterial sanitizer was provided (smelt strangely like tequila...) as well as anti bacterial spray for cleaning down racks, bars, weights etc after use which I saw most people doing.

75 min slots seemed to work well. Packed at 7am but I found alot of people left around the 45 min mark which left alot of racks free.

Just back from Drumcondra after the 11.30 slot and it was similar to the above. A few more people than I would have preferred at the start of the session but after about 45 minutes it had cleared out a lot.

Then that's the choice someone makes. If they want to do it, wear a mask. If they don't want to wear a mask, tough.

Well hopefully people with this kind of attitude won't be in gyms for much longer when it becomes a requirement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Kamu

Well hopefully people with this kind of attitude won't be in gyms for much longer when it becomes a requirement.

Has there been much of a wait for racks at Flyefit?

Iveagh Fitness only has 3 racks, but so far each time I've gone there has been a free rack.

I would argue from a contact point of view e.g. touching surfaces etc. weights are a higher risk in that sense as lots of different hands are touching stuff. On a treadmill, a user is very unlikely to be leaving it around potentially hundreds of surfaces from different dumbells, plates, bars, machines etc. if they do have it on their hands for example. Aerosols from breathing will be higher with cardio in most cases sure, but it's swings and roundabouts to be honest.

You dont have to lick your fingers after using dumbells, but they and your hands can be wiped down afterwards, as is required in my gym currently. Again, as someone else noted, a mask and intense cardio do not go together. It's obviously far easier/more practical to do cardio outside/not in the gym, than using weights and racks, which the vast majority don't have access to outside of a gym.

Folks stomping their feet and asserting their rights about using/doing cardio indoors at the moment isn't particularly helpful. I personally have adjusted my training plans/schedule to try and mitigate the risk as much as possible (do what I can at home/cardio elsewhere/not go the usual 5 times a week), hardly unreasonable for others to consider the same.

You dont have to lick your fingers after using dumbells, but they and your hands can be wiped down afterwards, as is required in my gym currently. Again, as someone else noted, a mask and intense cardio do not go together.

Doesnt have to be intense cardio.

As an aside, I haven't seen anyone else wipe down plates after using them. I could be using 12 plates between fractionals, 5s, 10s, 20s and I wipe them down. Granted I don't study what everyone does but I have seen people in the next rack just strip the bar and then wipe the bar but not the plates.

• Advertisement

Kamu wrote: »
    Has there been much of a wait for racks at Flyefit?

Iveagh Fitness only has 3 racks, but so far each time I've gone there has been a free rack.

I haven't been there yet, session booked later for 8.30 in Liffey Valley. I could be wrong, but I think they may have no classes and have moved equipment into areas where classes would usually be for extra spacing. Joined Colosseum in the interim as I genuinely thought Flyefit would be a ****show with the booking system, i.e. you wouldn't get near the place, particularly with Ben Dunne not opening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

As an aside, I haven't seen anyone else wipe down plates after using them. I could be using 12 plates between fractionals, 5s, 10s, 20s and I wipe them down. Granted I don't study what everyone does but I have seen people in the next rack just strip the bar and then wipe the bar but not the plates.

I'd see the bar as being more important but I did give the plates a wipe today when I was done. Although thinking about it now, I didn't do it every time as I was swapping them in and out.

matrim wrote: »
    I'd see the bar as being more important but I did give the plates a wipe today when I was done. Although thinking about it now, I didn't do it every time as I was swapping them in and out.

Unfortunately no matter what is done, the nature of the gym makes it one of the most high risk places/activities for catching the virus at the moment.

If there is anything that is passed between your hands and the bar, it's also going to be passed to the plates.

Just clean them at the end rather than every time you change them

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Whipping Boy

Just back from Drumcondra after the 11.30 slot and it was similar to the above. A few more people than I would have preferred at the start of the session but after about 45 minutes it had cleared out a lot.

Went to Tallaght earlier. Definitely felt busier than I would have liked - not far off a busy normal period tbh.

Good set up coming in with the temp check etc and there was someone doing a sporadic clean of the equipment but definitely felt a but unsafe having that many people close together - so much so that I decided to just put my mask on halfway through.

Everything well spaced out in Portobello earlier. Racks were still in situ but some machines moved out to the warm up area.

Was weirdly quiet but great to be back.

There's a lot of contact surfaces in that example.
    2 x 20s, 10s, 5s, 2.5kgs. 10 plates, and that only covers 100-130kg.
    I'd be very surprised in everyone was fully wiping down all sides of the our edge of 10 plates.

I've been sticking to kettlebells and pull-ups since I've gone back. Small easily identified handle. Wipe at end of workout.

Mellor wrote: »
    There's a lot of contact surfaces in that example.
    2 x 20s, 10s, 5s, 2.5kgs. 10 plates, and that only covers 100-130kg.
    I'd be very surprised in everyone was fully wiping down all sides of the our edge of 10 plates.

I've been sticking to kettlebells and pull-ups since I've gone back. Small easily identified handle. Wipe at end of workout.

Yep it is a lot of contact with not an awful lot of weight and I would be surprised if people are cleaning them down. Was really just to illustrate using weights also bore a risk of spreading on surfaces since cardio was being painted as the main risk. I did clean the plates after but I think I was in a minority in the gym I went to temporarily. Was back in my usual gym last night and went in at the start of the booked session, all plates at the rack still bore the damp patches of having been wiped down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭Rosita

I'd imagine the simple act of someone washing their hands when they finish and not having rubbed these eyes etc. throughout would be as effective a way of preventing virus spread as any wiping of plates. Not saying plates shouldn't be cleaned but just that if people maintain the advised regime around routine hygiene I wouldn't imagine surfaces shouldn't be too much of a threat.

Rosita wrote: »
    I'd imagine the simple act of someone washing their hands when they finish and not having rubbed these eyes etc. throughout would be as effective a way of preventing virus spread as any wiping of plates. Not saying plates shouldn't be cleaned but just that if people maintain the advised regime around routine hygiene I wouldn't imagine surfaces shouldn't be too much of a threat.

If someone had something on their hands and then touched the bar and all the plates, that's a lot of surfaces that potentially could facilitate spreading to someone else. Cleaning the plates is for the benefit of the next person.

And people touch their face during a workout a lot more than they realise.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement