Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone hazard a guess for when the gyms will re-open

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

JayRoc wrote: »
    It doesn't seem to occur to people in my gym to clean plates after use; even people (and to be fair, there are lots of them) who seem to be making an effort with things like wiping down surfaces and equipment, sanitising hands etc.

The gym I was in temporarily before Flyefit reopened, a lad wanted to use the rack i was finishing with. I says "Hang on til I wipe down the plates".

Looked at me like i had two heads.

Just didn't get it once I had wiped the bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

It doesn't seem to occur to people in my gym to clean plates after use; even people (and to be fair, there are lots of them) who seem to be making an effort with things like wiping down surfaces and equipment, sanitising hands etc.

The first few sessions I wiped the plates but I admit I've stopped doing it. Especially with the bumper plates it seems pretty futile, the tissue breaks up quickly and I'm not sure how much good it actually does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

I wipe my plates after use but I don’t really see the point if it’s being used for barbell work.
    Covid isn’t spread through sweating and I’m not coughing on them.
    Hand sanitizer is used every time I walk in the door of gym.

obi604 wrote: »

Wit the way things are going with the cases etc, are people here holding off a bit?

I'm in flyefit ......... I've gone 5 times since they've reopened...... I feel they've a decent set up.

I wipedown anything I touch before and after using them, I actually grab plates with tissue when possible to minimise touching them as cleaning them is a challenge.

ongarite wrote: »
    I wipe my plates after use but I don’t really see the point if it’s being used for barbell work.
    Covid isn’t spread through sweating and I’m not coughing on them.
    Hand sanitizer is used every time I walk in the door of gym.

Maybe it's OTT....I'm doing most of my work in the rack so it's no biggie at the end to wipe down the plates.

• Advertisement

Augeo wrote: »
    I'm in flyefit ......... I've gone 5 times since they've reopened...... I feel they've a decent set up.

I wipedown anything I touch before and after using them, I actually grab plates with tissue when possible to minimise touching them as cleaning them is a challenge.

When i put the plate back up on the rack pins, tissue with sanitiser on it....spin the plates. 5 second job :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭The Davestator

50 person indoor limit looks set to stay for another 3 weeks minimum.

Can see it causing problems for the large gyms like FlyeFit and still closed Ben Dunne.
    Not viable with their business model.

Its not a max of 50, its a max of 50 in each area / floor so big gyms will be ok. Smaller gyms have moved some kit into a separate area so it can be used too.

50 person indoor limit looks set to stay for another 3 weeks minimum.

Not viable with their business model.

I suppose it depends on how many cancel / don't renew. Flyefit is so reasonably priced that even if you got there twice a week it's value IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭obi604

Are people generally wearing masks in the gyms?

Nope. Very few. But most people aren't that close together when I'm there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭obi604

Nope. Very few. But most people aren't that close together when I'm there

Noted. Will this be mandatory after the 10th August?

Noted. Will this be mandatory after the 10th August?

Nope. It will only apply to shops and public transport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Maybe it's OTT....I'm doing most of my work in the rack so it's no biggie at the end to wipe down the plates.

Yeah I just wipe down what I touch. I am just making the point that I touch the plates the same as anything else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I see about 2 a week, staff tend to wear them, especially the ones out on the floor.

Yeah I just wipe down what I touch. I am just making the point that I touch the plates the same as anything else

Probably more contact with the plates than anything else to be fair so if people think the bar should be cleaned then it follows they should make some effort with the plates as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭JayRoc

When i put the plate back up on the rack pins, tissue with sanitiser on it....spin the plates. 5 second job :)

Ditto, it took me a couple of visits to figure it out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Wearing mask when doing cardio especially is not recommended. Most gyms will say that even if they do insist that people wear mask when arriving and leaving. I can’t imagine how uncomfortable it would be wearing a mask while running 10k on the treadmill.

Wearing mask when doing cardio especially is not recommended. Most gyms will say that even if they do insist that people wear mask when arriving and leaving. I can’t imagine how uncomfortable it would be wearing a mask while running 10k on the treadmill.

There's no harm from it for most people. There's a good podcast on The Science Of Sport that addresses it. Will things feel a bit harder...the rate of (perceived) exertion higher? Yes. But no harm caused.

There's no harm from it for most people. There's a good podcast on The Science Of Sport that addresses it. Will things feel a bit harder...the rate of (perceived) exertion higher? Yes. But no harm caused.

It’s probably something you can become used or better at, but I don’t think these gyms can add to their current challenges by having risk of people collapsing mid treadmill or bike or whatever they doing, due to difficult in taking in breath, or even from getting distracted and having to mess around with the mask. Hopefully it’s a restriction they will not have to impose.
    Nothing to do with mask but I once saw a middle age lady sent flying off a treadmill when something went wrong in the controls (she was insisting afterwards it would not slow down and kept at a high speed), it was not a pretty sight!!

It’s probably something you can become used or better at, but I don’t think these gyms can add to their current challenges by having risk of people collapsing mid treadmill or bike or whatever they doing, due to difficult in taking in breath, or even from getting distracted and having to mess around with the mask. Hopefully it’s a restriction they will not have to impose.
    Nothing to do with mask but I once saw a middle age lady sent flying off a treadmill when something went wrong in the controls (she was insisting afterwards it would not slow down and kept at a high speed), it was not a pretty sight!!

Why would people be collapsing?

Nothing to do with masks but Dr Spock was half man, half Vulcan.

• Advertisement

Why would people be collapsing?

Nothing to do with masks but Dr Spock was half man, half Vulcan.

Haha, you’re so funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I'm wearing a mask doing weights. I don't think I would for cardio, but I do that outdoors anyway. I do feel like pulling it off for deadlifts alright, but otherwise it's no bother.

Honestly, I don't bother wiping things down. Thoroughly sanitise on the way in and out, don't touch the face in between. It just seems like a bit of theatre to spray everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

but Dr Spock was half man, half Vulcan.

You are confusing Dr Spock with Mr Spock. The former was a pediatrician and author. The latter was part Vulcan part human. Common mistake. Vulcan Spock is not, nor ever has been, a doctor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Started back at gym when they reopened the procedures had being all very good but unfortunately the consistency has slipped .. no form to sign in and out anymore numbers increasing , non members allowed to train , no pre booking and classes back up and running. Small spin studio and they are allowing ten take the class .. it just seems like a recipe for disaster.
    I have mentioned it to owner but she doesn’t seem to bothered.
    Anyone else noticed standards slipping?

RangeR wrote: »
    You are confusing Dr Spock with Mr Spock. The former was a pediatrician and author. The latter was part Vulcan part human. Common mistake. Vulcan Spock is not, nor ever has been, a doctor.

:D

To Shay.

:D

To Shay.

Touché

:pac:

Touché

:pac:

That doesn't make any sense! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

I went back to my gym in Naas when they reopened. Have decided to leave it for the moment after all the outbreaks in Kildare recently. Not worth the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Went to the gym yesterday and to be honest I am not too keen on going back any time soon. The time slots don't really work with my schedule, there's a queue to get in, you can't really stretch as there are no mats, you have to wipe down all the weights and equipment with paper towel and spray (which takes longer than you think).

It's a lot of effort when I could just do some similar exercises at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

I saw some guy the other day going around to each machine and using the same bit of tissue to wipe each machine. There was no spray on it, he kept it in his pocket then took it out to wipe the machines with, just for show!

And then there's the gym instructors. Absolutely bored out of their brains. Ticking boxes on name lists, cleaning and tidying all day long. They are palpably depressed.

And then there's the gym instructors. Absolutely bored out of their brains. Ticking boxes on name lists, cleaning and tidying all day long. They are palpably depressed.

And they do it for you, and some minimal interaction with guests to brighten their day.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Back in the gym and going early, its a small weights area so being early means very few people so no worries. Doing my cleaning as expected, it is a hassle and seems redundant if you are keeping your hands clean etc. Good to be back and able to be socially distant

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Thought I’d share my experience of what my gym is like here in Spain. My gym reopened mid June.

Masks are mandatory except when doing an exercise although this is being tightened a bit. (I use a very light mask from Decathlon so it doesn’t bother me) Cardio is exempt.

Hand santiser and disinfectant everywhere. Gym staff regularly patrols with thermometer and hand santiser

Gym busy hours are a little different than Ireland. Busy is throughout the morning and it gets quieter from lunch on for the rest of the day (with the exception of classes). I usually go in the afternoon when it’s quiet

I don’t really think about the virus while I’m there because hygiene is paramount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭bada_bing

been back in flyefit now for 2.5 weeks, at the start everyone was doing their part to clean their machines after use . But now some people aren't even doing anything at all, i lost the rag yesterday with a latino couple using a machine between them for 15 minutes and they didn't bother cleaning it after them. I realised it was a losing battle cos a lot more people were doing the same thing and staff are not even monitoring the gym users. So i'm now cleaning everything before and after using them and regularly use santizers on my hands cos some people are not making an effort.

i expect there will be another lockdown as a result and gyms will close again and we'll will hear these people moan about the gyms being closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

bada_bing wrote: »
    been back in flyefit now for 2.5 weeks, at the start everyone was doing their part to clean their machines after use . But now some people aren't even doing anything at all, i lost the rag yesterday with a latino couple using a machine between them for 15 minutes and they didn't bother cleaning it after them. I realised it was a losing battle cos a lot more people were doing the same thing and staff are not even monitoring the gym users. So i'm now cleaning everything before and after using them and regularly use santizers on my hands cos some people are not making an effort.

i expect there will be another lockdown as a result and gyms will close again and we'll will hear these people moan about the gyms being closed.

Absolutely zero clusters linked to gyms so far. Even if folks wipe down absolutely everything, the net benefit is minimal. They are still breathing out aerosols which are going to lead to infection if someone has it. Im not having a go at you, but being over fixated on wiping down equipment is kind of ignoring the much bigger risk factor. You dont even need to have used the same machine as someone, to catch it from them if they're infected. Masks really should be mandatory but I would wager that will massively put off what's left of the gym going population.

Side note, has anyone watched the off the wall rant Ben Dunne has posted on FB? https://www.facebook.com/282401818539221/posts/3075013725944669/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

faceman wrote: »
    Gym staff regularly patrols with thermometer and hand santiser

Surely a thermometer is only useful at the entrance?

Wouldn't most people have a higher temperature when exercising?

Surely a thermometer is only useful at the entrance?

Wouldn't most people have a higher temperature when exercising?

Again, mostly futile anyway due to the amount of asymptomatic patients. They have to do something or at least appear to be. Though any measures to minimise spread are a good thing.

And they do it for you, and some minimal interaction with guests to brighten their day.

Yes, I feel a bit sorry for them. Must be excruciatingly boring.

I'm just very reluctant now to use the gym, seeing the situation redeveloping. As it is, the last occasion I used it before lockdown there was a guy on the next machine who, to my horror, had a very bad cough and was wiping his face in a cloth and handling the surfaces of the equipment with hands which had just been used to help catch the snot. 10 days later I was very ill with breathing difficulties in a desert location in Africa, far from medical assistance, a weird illness that then went in for 5 weeks. Still do t know if I had Covid and of course where I might have picked it up. Can't rule out that gym session. Then I returned in recent times, and another guy was coughing out, unmasked. Small gym, small space, breeding ground with the carry-on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

I have felt totally safe in my gym. There is hardly anyone there. Dont think there has been more than 8 on the gym floor when ive been there. Most people are wiping down. BUT I am unsure whats in the spray bottle, Looks like water and nothing else. So I dont touch my face and I bring my own hand sanitizer. I stop on the way out to wash my hands. Been back 3 weeks now.
    Live in Kildare so gym will be closed again for 2 weeks.

Im thinking about cancelling my membership at this stage. If this opening and closing is to stay for the foreseeable Id rather invest and work out from home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

bada_bing wrote: »

I totally get where you are coming from but just make sure to sanitise your hands on the way in and out and that's the problem solved, no? A mask, which most people aren't using, is much more important in my opinion, in a room full of people heavily breathing.

Also not sure what them being latino has to do with anything...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

Zillah wrote: »
    I totally get where you are coming from but just make sure to sanitise your hands on the way in and out and that's the problem solved, no? A mask, which most people aren't using, is much more important in my opinion, in a room full of people heavily breathing.

Also not sure what them being latino has to do with anything...

Masks do absolutely nothing to stop a virus being projected by means of heavy breathing.

DareGod wrote: »
    Masks do absolutely nothing to stop a virus being projected by means of heavy breathing.

Absolutely nothing?

Hmmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

Absolutely nothing?

Hmmm.

Absolutely nothing.

Why? You have evidence to the contrary?

Absolutely nothing.

There's plenty of scientific evidence to say it does reduce respiratory droplets carrying the virus. Not saying there is a consensus yet but the fact there are scientific papers saying they do have a positive impact suggests that a statement that they do absolutely nothing is false at this point in time.

Absolutely nothing.

Go put one on, then try blowing out your birthday cake from a few feet away there Doctor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

Just wondering why can't gym users shower even if social distancing is maintained?

billyhead wrote: »
    Just wondering why can't gym users shower even if social distancing is maintained?

Don't get that one myself. Toilets are far more of a risk factor with infectious plumes being blasted around the place with a toilet flush.

givyjoe wrote: »
    Don't get that one myself. Toilets are far more of a risk factor with infectious plumes being blasted around the place with a toilet flush.

There's unlikely to be a whole lot of virus in the jacks to cause an infectious plume when flushed.

Showers are possibly just out of bounds where people are in closer proximity or where water passes from one shower area to the next

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement