Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone hazard a guess for when the gyms will re-open

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,675 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

givyjoe wrote: »
    Was in flyefit LV last night at 7pm, at 7.03 I went to book again for same time today.. already booked.

At the start they were opening booking 25hours ahead so you could book the 7pm slot tomorrow from 6pm today. I thought it had changed but worth checking

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

At the start they were opening booking 25hours ahead so you could book the 7pm slot tomorrow from 6pm today. I thought it had changed but worth checking

Hadnt noticed, but now Im having to set an alarm for a minute before the slot opens! It's unfortunately opening exactly 24 hours beforehand. Everyone must have the exact same idea, alarm set for their desired time slot.

Hadnt noticed, but now Im having to set an alarm for a minute before the slot opens! It's unfortunately opening exactly 24 hours beforehand. Everyone must have the exact same idea, alarm set for their desired time slot.

I'd assumed that would happen at the start but not now. Like Ticketmaster for a U2 gig. Only saving grace is the 8.30pm slot rarely gets booked put...except it did last Thursday when I tried to book it that morning

I'd assumed that would happen at the start but not now. Like Ticketmaster for a U2 gig. Only saving grace is the 8.30pm slot rarely gets booked put...except it did last Thursday when I tried to book it that morning

Some people were possibly holding off waiting for a surge of gym cases. I dont know when they re-started classes, but there was a ludicrously long queue last friday which will be seriously grating freezing your ass outside in winter, waiting to get in. I've also noticed the slots are more frequently booked out and quicker. Though I have noticed there can be lots of cancellations depending on the day, e.g. Saturday when the weather was good. Before lockdown, I had genuinely never seen 50 people in there at one time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Very unclear from the government. Limit of 6 to a class. But gyms can stay at 50?
    I never take classes at my gym: just use weights and cardio machines.

They are a shambles. It's ok to go to mass with 49 other people but not go to an outdoor event with 16?

(And no mention of meat factories or the poor people stuck in direct provision...)

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Augeo wrote: »
    Grand, you made it sound like you were hogging a rack for the allotted time......

Wait til you hear about the people hogging a cinema seat for the entire movie. I saw an auld one hogging a self-checkout at Tesco for the entire transaction earlier as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Very unclear from the government. Limit of 6 to a class. But gyms can stay at 50?
    It's about occupation density. Classes are typically much high density that gym floors.

Design occupancy for a yoga studio is 1sqm per person.
    On a gym floor its 10sqm or so.

Blanket rules for gyms or any business ignores the fact that gyms come in different sizes. In Oz, as soon as groups above 10 where allowed there was also a sqm per person limit.

Zillah wrote: »
    Wait til you hear about the people hogging a cinema seat for the entire movie. I saw an auld one hogging a self-checkout at Tesco for the entire transaction earlier as well.

yawn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭VonLuck

pinkypinky wrote: »

They are a shambles. It's ok to go to mass with 49 other people but not go to an outdoor event with 16?

(And no mention of meat factories or the poor people stuck in direct provision...)

People are bunched together in classes and are more likely to be in close contact at outdoor events as people generally know each other.

In a gym you typically keep to yourself and have much more room to avoid other patrons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

All evening slots booked out in my gym for the rest of the week with the new smaller class size.

Really wish I had room for a barbell and rack at home. This will be a pure pain for the forseeable future.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 85 ✭✭macpaccrack

I hate to judge other people for their workouts but its incredibly annoying when you've completed 10 sets of various exercises and the same guy is still on the same machine. Or someone is doing various drop sets on the one piece of equipment. You can't switch in at the moment so I really wish people would be a bit more aware.

Kinda fuming today. The guy must have spent 25 minutes mostly looking around and on his phone and by the time he finished I didn't have time to actually do the sets.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Still 48 people allowed per hour on the gym floor, 12 for the pool and 6-8 for other classes in my Gymplus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Esse85

Has anyone elses gym turned into something like the baggage area in Dublin airport?

In my Flyefit and far less people go to the changing rooms, therefore people just throw down gear bags/clothes anywhere, only a matter of time before someone falls over one. I mean there's plenty of lockers for members, I'm surprised staff haven't addressed this.

Esse85 wrote: »
    Has anyone elses gym turned into something like the baggage area in Dublin airport?

In my Flyefit and far less people go to the changing rooms, therefore people just throw down gear bags/clothes anywhere, only a matter of time before someone falls over one. I mean there's plenty of lockers for members, I'm surprised staff haven't addressed this.

I dont know your FF, but mine is staffed by kids seriously lacking in any kind of cop on, it'll take multiple people saying something for them to listen. But a whole load of people into the changing room/a smaller space at the start of a session, isn't great either.

Haven't noticed any extra baggage around at all to be honest. There are lockers right next to the area with all the racks in Portobello so that probably helps

I hate to judge other people for their workouts but its incredibly annoying when you've completed 10 sets of various exercises and the same guy is still on the same machine. Or someone is doing various drop sets on the one piece of equipment. You can't switch in at the moment so I really wish people would be a bit more aware.

Kinda fuming today. The guy must have spent 25 minutes mostly looking around and on his phone and by the time he finished I didn't have time to actually do the sets.

Folk hogging equipment is very poor gym etiquette.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Augeo wrote: »
    Folk hogging equipment is very poor gym etiquette.
    Smartphone in hand, oblivious of time passing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,854 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

at the moment doing more sets on less machines makes sense, objectively quicker and less time wiping down machines. doing circuits or working on 7 or 8 different stations isnt ideal

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Apparently unpopular opinion: you're entitled to use a piece of equipment for as long as you want it. First come first served.

Haven't noticed any extra baggage around at all to be honest. There are lockers right next to the area with all the racks in Portobello so that probably helps

Sounds like the key difference right there with the lockers so close by whereas they are upstairs where I am and members just can't be arsed from the looks of it. I wouldn't mind if they left them against the wall but just to have bags, hoodies and phones scattered around especially around the benches is asking for an accident to happen and staff should be clamping down on it.

• Advertisement

Apparently unpopular opinion: you're entitled to use a piece of equipment for as long as you want it. First come first served.

Plenty of signs up in some gyms saying no longer than 20 mins during peak times so it's very much gym dependent. Regardless, if someone is hogging a popular piece of equipment for a long time and there's obviously others looking to use it then that's acting like a selfish ass hole with zero self awareness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Depends.

It wouldn't occur to me to get annoyed with someone for being in a cage or a rack for an hour or more; presuming they were doing stuff that needs a rack of course. Same with a treadmill.

But I have never been in a commercial gym where waiting for a rack was the norm, they are never usually that busy. Same with a treadmill!

The basic etiquette for when all racks are in use and someone is clearly waiting, is to offer to let them work in with you. At least in any gym I have trained in (presuming it is practical).

Someone sitting, playing with their phone for an hour, on, say, the only flat bench in the gym doing a set every 14 mins is totally out of order though.

Plenty of signs up in some gyms saying no longer than 20 mins during peak times so it's very much gym dependent. Regardless, if someone is hogging a popular piece of equipment for a long time and there's obviously others looking to use it then that's acting like a selfish ass hole with zero self awareness.

Tbf yee are probably talking about different kinds of equipment. You can hardly put up a sign on a squat rack saying "members must limit their use to 20 mins"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Out of curiosity, in busier gyms if someone is using something for an extended period are people still politely asking to work in with them, or has Covid put a stop to that?

Plenty of signs up in some gyms saying no longer than 20 mins during peak times so it's very much gym dependent.

If that’s a gym rule fair enough.
    But 20 mins is not very long in a squat rank or on a treadmill. many people wouldn’t join a gym like that.

You can spend an hour on a cardio machine "guilt free" because there will be several of each type so that area is a non issue. When it come to specific machines around the gym, its just a matter of being flexible and have a back up machine so that you aren't hanging around. My gym has one cable seated row and one cable seated lat pull down but they also have the machine variants, I go straight to them instead of hoping someone is nearly finished rather than just started on my preferred one.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Out of curiosity, in busier gyms if someone is using something for an extended period are people still politely asking to work in with them, or has Covid put a stop to that?

I think Flyefit actually prohibit sharing of equipment - I personally wouldn't ask, and would not be comfortable sharing myself either. I spend a good bit of time cleaning the equipment before I use it so don't want it filthied up by somebody less neurotic :o:o On most machines (except a rack) I'm done in 10 minutes, so it's not that big a deal imo, and I think it's ok to ask/signal at a distance how many sets they have left, so you know if they are just starting to go and do something else, or if it's a couple of sets you can wait.

I would not expect somebody to let me work in these days whatsoever, and personally don't think it's a good idea.

I would not expect somebody to let me work in these days whatsoever, and personally don't think it's a good idea.

I actually agree with you completely. In an earlier post I mentioned offering someone the option of working in with you, but I was referring to etiquette during "normal times". I could have made myself more clear.

I would not be cool with someone sharing a rack/equipment with me during the present situation.

Even asking for a spot would be a bit iffy tbh, a lot of people wouldn't be too comfortable I imagine.

JayRoc wrote: »
    I actually agree with you completely. In an earlier post I mentioned offering someone the option of working in with you, but I was referring to etiquette during "normal times". I could have made myself more clear.

I would not be cool with someone sharing a rack/equipment with me during the present situation.

Even asking for a spot would be a bit iffy tbh, a lot of people wouldn't be too comfortable I imagine.

Saw a last week ask another chap for a spot. Though it seemed to be more to count his (half) reps for him. It was bizarre. Poor chap didn't want to be there...especially not when he was told it was 9 reps that had been done, not 8...

• Advertisement

JayRoc wrote: »
    Suppose it depends on the context really.
    I’d turn down a stranger asking me to spot them, as I’d expect somebody so oblivious as to ask in the first place to be taking questionable precautions generally.

On the other hand, I’m comfortable going back to jiu jitsu where I’m in much closer personal contact than spotting, with people I trust to be careful.

Saw a last week ask another chap for a spot. Though it seemed to be more to count his (half) reps for him. It was bizarre. Poor chap didn't want to be there...especially not when he was told it was 9 reps that had been done, not 8...

That is the worst as the guy on the bench would literally be exhaling in the spotters face

Not during a pandemic where you cannot work in and when time slots are limited to 1-1.5 hours.

There is no reason to use any piece of equipment for more than 15 minutes in my opinion. The only exception is power racks where maybe people are doing deadlifts, squats, pull ups as part of a program.

Why do you need to be 20 minutes on a lat pull down for example? or 20 minutes sitting on a flat bench?

Honestly every single time its always someone you can tell doesn't train properly. Any other time I dont care but during a pandemic where you are trying to get a workout done and only get 1 hour and one slot per day its extremely frustrating to have some idiot txting on his phone and doing 3 sets in the space of 15 minutes with half reps.

Another pet peeve are the ***** that aren't wiping down. You go and make the effort to wipe down yours and expect the next piece of equipment to be clean but its infuriating when you then have to go back and get the sterilisation spray and tissues because some selfish prick has just jumped up and left the equipment. No self awareness or ****s given for anyone else in the gym.

The most annoying thing? Usually those who are hogging the equipment, doing **** all on their phones are usually the ones who dont even bother to wipe down the equipment after they're done!

That is the worst as the guy on the bench would literally be exhaling in the spotters face

They were squats.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭candycock

Anybody got any idea of when the sauna and steam rooms open again?

candycock wrote: »
    Anybody got any idea of when the sauna and steam rooms open again?

must depend on the gym the ones in mine have been open since july

• Advertisement

silverharp wrote: »
    must depend on the gym the ones in mine have been open since july

Still no sign of ours opening :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭Rosita

Not sure anyone questioned the entitlement to use equipment. The issue was the amount of time spent not using it but still blocking others.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭candycock

Still no sign of ours opening :(

I'm a member of Aura and they said they there waiting on direction from the HSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Kildare here so Im hoping the gym will be back soon enough.
    Long term my worry is consistency if we face gyms opening and closing.

candycock wrote: »
    I'm a member of Aura and they said they there waiting on direction from the HSE.

Yep what mine said too - strange some are open and some are not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭The Davestator

The issue with Saunas and steam rooms is social distancing. Most are not big enough to be used by 1 or 2 and the cost to run them is massive so its a bit of both reasons.

The issue with Saunas and steam rooms is social distancing. Most are not big enough to be used by 1 or 2 and the cost to run them is massive so its a bit of both reasons.

Yeah I get that, are the onrs open massive I wonder?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Well, I gather new restrictions for the Dublin area may be discussed at cabinet tomorrow ... As part of broader discussions about a national roadmap for living with covid for the next several months.

Any media coverage I've heard regarding the Dublin restrictions has only been in relation to the idea that fewer people would be allowed in private homes, and from fewer households, or has mentioned delaying the reopening of wet pubs...

...But do we think gym closures could be on the cards? They happened in the Kildare lockdown, of course.

Well, I gather new restrictions for the Dublin area may be discussed at cabinet tomorrow ... As part of broader discussions about a national roadmap for living with covid for the next several months.

Any media coverage I've heard regarding the Dublin restrictions has only been in relation to the idea that fewer people would be allowed in private homes, and from fewer households, or has mentioned delaying the reopening of wet pubs...

...But do we think gym closures could be on the cards? They happened in the Kildare lockdown, of course.

The restrictions they put in place will be nothing like in Kildare.

But I don't see gyms being closed just yet, based on the early talk about this new plan to come out tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The restrictions they put in place will be nothing like in Kildare.

But I don't see gyms being closed just yet, based on the early talk about this new plan to come out tomorrow
    Well, the issue of current cases is in households and the numbers of contacts. Gyms are highly controlled now and being seen as opportunities for exercise I can't see them being reversed unless we ever return to Level 5.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Well, the issue of current cases is in households and the numbers of contacts. Gyms are highly controlled now and being seen as opportunities for exercise I can't see them being reversed unless we ever return to Level 5.

Yeah but there's a lot of community transmission that could be a lot of things so I don't think the fact that they're saying it's in households is the reason they won't close gyms. Like you said, it would likely be a higher level of risk before they start closing businesses again.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

The local gym I'm in is still pretty quiet, the 7.45 session only has about 6 people in at the most so that suits me... the cleaning in between sessions has relaxed a bit but I've seen everyone doing their bit and cleaning up after themselves.

Just waiting for Ben Dunne Cherrywood to open in fairness but I see no activity there and am not going to hold my breath... but will return there when I can

The local gym I'm in is still pretty quiet, the 7.45 session only has about 6 people in at the most so that suits me... the cleaning in between sessions has relaxed a bit but I've seen everyone doing their bit and cleaning up after themselves.

Just waiting for Ben Dunne Cherrywood to open in fairness but I see no activity there and am not going to hold my breath... but will return there when I can

He opened Blanch on Monday with a.... phone booking system in place! Almost as if he wants it to fail. Member of Carlisle myself, not a peep on re-opening that one.

He opened Blanch on Monday with a.... phone booking system in place! Almost as if he wants it to fail. Member of Carlisle myself, not a peep on re-opening that one.

Lol what? You have to ring in to book?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Gyms under the new 5 Levels roadmap:

Level 1 & 2:
    These can open with protective measures, taking account of public health advice, including social distancing.

Level 3:
    Gyms/leisure centres/swimming pools open with protective measures, for individual training only. These can open with protective measures, for individual training only.

Level 4&5:
    Gyms/leisure centres/swimming pools closed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement